VF-4 as seen in Macross: ELS

the white drew carey

As we all know, Kawamori did not design a gerwalk or battroid mode for the VF-4 until the mid-90's (or, at least, he didn't make any designs public). But for the PC-Engine game Macross Eternal Love Song, released in '92, they had someone design these modes for the game. I have seen pictures of it before, including the FASTpack-equiped VF-4, but cannot seem to locate these images anymore.

So, I ask my fellow MWers who may have these images hiding within their hard-drives to post any images you may have here. Because I want to see them!!!

:)

It's no myth.

The confusion actually centers on the assumption that the VF-4 was never a transormable fighter, which SK dismissed saying it IS transformable.

According to Kawamori Design Works, though, the GERWALK and battroid modes of the VF-4 weren't designed until '95.

Design Works does show an SD version of the VF-4 from '90, which possibly shows his original intent for the final transformation, as the nose of the plane still forms the chest down to the hips and crotch and the air intakes still form the top of the leg with the engine nacelle being the rest of the leg, ala' the VF-1. Also, it has the arms flipped around, so that the cannons are now at the elbows.

Edited by the white drew carey

Is there a date for the rough battroid sketches in the Design Works book--bottom page of the first VF-4 page? There's a few differences from the actual shapes of the valk itself from the finalized VF-4 fighter mode--I always interpreted that as meaning the fighter mode hadn't been finalized at that point either, meaning those drawings were fairly early.

The only other time-date hints the book gives, is that the VF-X-4 was designed for the DYRL movie (circa 1984.) There's also talk in the text about the VF-X-7 - possibly being included into, based on, or simply designed at the same time.

Yeah, it's in Perfect Memory in the Lost Two Years section (or whatever it's called, the part with the picture of the two female Zentradi [the weren't Meltran yet] wrestling with the VF-1A ref'ing).

Interestingly, I don't think I've ever seen a kitbash of that, although one would think it should be fairly easy with the Hase FASTpack kits...

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like it. I think it shows a nice bit of continuity of how the VF-4 came about using VF-1 parts. I've always wanted to make one, but never had the time to.

Oh, it's certainly neat, but it still screams "I glued FAST packs to the wings!"