New Type of Glue!

MechTech

Hey guys, I accidentally discovered a new type of glue that uses a different type of non-stinky solvent. The solvent in it is Trichloromethane Methylene Chloride. This stuff has no solvent smell and it works fast! You probably won't get headaches from using it in large quantities either (though some of you might miss that :) ). Still use good ventilation though!!! "Trike" can irritate your lungs/skin badly. This stuff is perfect for those of you in small apartments or are tired of your wives complaining about the smell.

It's water thin, works and dries fast and is a very strong solvent! Works great for dissimilar plastics joining too! The brand here I've got is called EMA Plastic Weld ( http://www.ema-models.co.uk/shop/prodpages/page-PPC-2P.html ). For the U.S., Plastruct makes it ( http://www.plastruct.com/pages/CementGuide.html ).

This stuff has been around awhile, but I have never heard of it. I've used about everything on the market and I wish I knew about this stuff a while ago so I'm getting the word out! It cost me £2.50 / $5.00. Many of you might have used it, but I've never seen it or heard of it before. Hope this helps someone! - MT

Edited by MechTech

As a warning, don't use methylene chloride (AKA dichloromethane) for modeling unless you have a very well ventilated work area. This stuff is about 2 to 5X as toxic as the stuff in normal model cement (MEK).

MSDS

...but, if it can effectively bond a broken BP8, then glue away (just dont inhale)!

Edited by ghostryder

There's a surprisingly low correlation between smell and safety. Some of the nastiest glues have no odor at all, yet basically increase your risk of cancer about 1% per minute of exposure...

Tenax has no smell, but evaporates so fast and works so well it worries me.

Never have I been afraid of glue until reading this thread. But what the heck, I'll buy some!

You're right, you only need about 20% of your brain cells to function anyways. I killed about a billion in college, what's a billion more :p ?

Seriously, use whatever works best in the name of modeling and modding, but keep those windows open ;) .

Edited by ghostryder

Thanks for the heads up! I had no clue. Like I said this stuff was new to me, but now I know better! I'll probably reserve it for areas requiring higher strength.

That's the great part about these forums, someone always knows something you don't! Thanks! - MT

As a warning, don't use methylene chloride (AKA dichloromethane) for modeling unless you have a very well ventilated work area. This stuff is about 2 to 5X as toxic as the stuff in normal model cement (MEK).

MSDS

...but, if it can effectively bond a broken BP8, then glue away (just dont inhale)!

Actually, I'd suggest staying away from MEK altogether, as it's a known carcinogen. As for methylene chloride, what's this about it creating phosgene (a toxic gas used in WW1, BTW) under the right conditions? :unsure::blink: I think I'll stay with Testor's and Krazy Glue for the nonce...

There's a surprisingly low correlation between smell and safety. Some of the nastiest glues have no odor at all, yet basically increase your risk of cancer about 1% per minute of exposure...

Tenax has no smell, but evaporates so fast and works so well it worries me.

Should I be worried? I use Tenax all the time. You're scaring me...

Yap, I be knowticen' : :p I forgot to mention, that day I used it, I slept lowsy that night. I was all hyper. I didn't think much of it because I was on holiday and going back to work the next day (who likes to do that). - MT

• 2 weeks later...