No One's Posted About The Thundercats Revamp Yet?

I'm not sure that's the case... the original creator and distributor most likely have retained the rights to the names and such. I see this new show as more of a case of dusting off an old license, copying the trends of existing tween cartoon shows (Teen Titans, Kimpossible, etc), doing some minor rebranding and creative and then releasing what they believe will be a quick turn cash cow show. The Americn way in full swing.

Also to be honest the original Thundercats was a toy-based cash-in show as well. It was just a creature of the '80s when things were bash kickass and rough and tumble action... today's American kids shows are all "let's talk this out" and kinder, gentler super hero "fantasy violence" stuff. IMHO this is the natural evolution of the Thundercats given the current trends and directions of American produced children's programming.

"It's aimed at kids" always rung more than a little hollow of an excuse to me. Maybe the reason so many people grow up loving, or at least accepting, the crap thrown at them, is because of the crap we shove down their throats when they're children?

Its a cartoon. Deal with it. There is a reason why Law & Order is on at 10 at night, and this kinda stuff is shown at 4 in the afternoon. ITS FOR KIDS, NOT FOR YOU.

Ah!! My childhood (well almost) Takes another one up the ass.

Checks for human sized cats in neighbourhood

Whats next Captain Caveman revamped into a slightly hairy bussinessman who lives in a campervan and crime fights on his days off.

Politically correct Tom & Jerry who dont fight or wack each other over the head with frying pans and smoke cigarettes. (oh wait the U.K already wants that one).

You never know it may be good.... but I doubt it.

Maybe they could actually think up a new ideas next time.

Edited by big F

Also to be honest the original Thundercats was a toy-based cash-in show as well. It was just a creature of the '80s when things were bash kickass and rough and tumble action... today's American kids shows are all "let's talk this out" and kinder, gentler super hero "fantasy violence" stuff. IMHO this is the natural evolution of the Thundercats given the current trends and directions of American produced children's programming.

Moral of the story: 80s cartoons were for future real men. Modern cartoons are for future sissies.

In other words... tell these modern kids to go wash their vaginas!

So there is a whole generation of cross-dressing adults out there thanks to Bugs Bunny, right?

Wait… they’ve been showing that poison for years!!… AAAHHHH!! Can’t resist urge to wear a dress and kiss bald men with speech impediments!!

Edited by Twoducks

Its a cartoon. Deal with it. There is a reason why Law & Order is on at 10 at night, and this kinda stuff is shown at 4 in the afternoon. ITS FOR KIDS, NOT FOR YOU.

To say you missed the point by a mile would be like saying "the Atlantic ocean is fairly large".

As far as I can remember from the early episodes (probably the very first one), Lion-O's plans were to make a Thundercats empire on Earth. Lion-O was still naive, but no one told him that was a bad idea.

I think that could be a good place to start a new series. I'm a sucker for epic sagas, but I think that was the direction the show was triyng to take anyway.

I can't understand why everytime someone decides on revamping an old television hit, they must strip it off the things that made it original and therefore a success in the first place.

I can't understand why everytime someone decides on revamping an old television hit, they must strip it off the things that made it original and therefore a success in the first place.

Because all the people in charge of the TV and movie companies don't understand why it was successful.

So they take a formula they've constructed, where they take the features THEY noticed about the last really popular TV/movie, and try to fit whatever story they're given into that formula.

Said formulas are usually off by several lightyears, and wind up reading like "bullet-time+R rating = blockbuster hit"

Another thing I've noticed about kids entertainment today is the fixation on youth. Kids' shows used to feature main characters in their 20's and 30's that kids could look up to, emulate-- characters who could provide inspiration when kids wonder what to be when they "grow up".

Nowadays, main characters are largely young teens and children themselves, who for the most part already know better than adults (or worse, parents). Instead of urging children to become heroic grown-ups someday, entertainment sells the idea that they already know everything there is to know about being a decent person, or grants them the experience of being a hero vicariously through their fictional peers.

In the 70's and 80's we had the Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, Superfriends, and many more, all of which featured mature adults and young adults as role models. Today we have a Thundercats remake featuring teen rockers, the Teen Titans, and almost every kid's show I see features teens and pre-teens as main characters. What happened to all the grown-ups?

I mean. when's the last time an adult on TV was allowed to talk sense to a kid in a kid's show?

Edited by Sundown

I agree with your point I cant recall growing up and thinking "I want to grow to up to be Robin or the Wonder Twins." Who for the most part are just a kids or thinking I want to be Wiley Kat either.

Yeah, because Spike Witwicky is a mature adult role model. So is Orko! And Snarf!

Stop and think about what was popular for kids in the 80's. Do remember The Goonies? How about The Karate Kid? Every show on Nick about the kids where adults are either stupid or downright evil (even Mysterious Cities of Gold). Remember any of that?

Yeah, because Spike Witwicky is a mature adult role model. So is Orko! And Snarf!

Stop and think about what was popular for kids in the 80's. Do remember The Goonies? How about The Karate Kid? Every show on Nick about the kids where adults are either stupid or downright evil (even Mysterious Cities of Gold). Remember any of that?

Spike, Orko, and Snarf were never central, title characters. All of them were either comic relief or the character through whom presumably human audiences could relate through. No one watched Transformers fixated on Spike. Sparkplug also got a fair amount of screentime as well.

Even Daniel-San was put into his place by Mr. Miyagi. Daniel eventually understands Mr. Miyagi's wisdom in having him do what appeared to be innane chores, which turned out to be part of his training. The whole premise of the movie was Daniel coming into his own and becoming a man with the help and vision of an older man.

And I always thought most Nick shows were pretty lame, with exception to a few. But you're right. The network did seem to feature more youth-centric kids shows.

So sure, some childrens' entertainment featured children and teens as main characters in the 80's, and sure, stupid adults aren't unique to shows of today, but at least used to be some balance. Youth fixated shows dominate lineups today. Even the same GI Joe characters look younger than they did in the 80's, but that could also be due to the Amerianime style used, which tends to draw women as youthful and demure. Then again, the wide adoption of this Japanese aesthetic, a culture that's also been fixated on youth for sometime, might indicate American culture's shifting fixation on youth as well.