Why So Many 1/48 Releases

1 VF-1 2NV

Even with CAD, i doubt it. Even Captain America couldn't do it. It would take a real genius to figure out how to make 1/48 two seaters.

419338[/snapback]

What are you talking about? He did make a 2 seater kit for the 1/48 with just a few new pieces required. Yamato could do the same.

419349[/snapback]

So? It wasn't perfect transformation, and it didn't keep with the norm of the 1/48s.

419508[/snapback]

It would probably take some major retooling to make the 2 seaters, but so what? It's still less work than sculpting a whole new toy, which they seem to have no problem with doing. Making the VF-0 would have been probably more work than making a VT or a VE.

The cost of the toy isn't so bad for me, but the shipping. If only the legal problem didn't exist, more could be sold, (just repackage them as robotech toys or something) and it wouldn't be limited to a small audience who import and buy in small qauntities at a time.

But then I guess part of the appeal to collectors who actually take pride in owning an item that isn't easily had, is that prices for things DO go up at least on the secondhand market. (I feel sorry for all those buyers who paid and arm and leg to get vf1a max)

419509[/snapback]

I just dont see the difference in price even of the legalities were solved. Toys like the SOCs and other japanese properties are still very costly (aside from Transformers, and even then I buy the Binaltech version over the Alternators and MC Convoy over 20 Anniversary Prime). The fact is, these are high end quality toys. Hell even the crap Toynami spews out is way over priced, and those things are available domestically. I'm fine with the legal entanglements so long as HG doesn't get any of my cash. If they would start putting out similar quality products I would gladly throw some their way.

Man, we complain they dont re-release and now we complain they are putting too much that financially draining.  Damned if you do and damned if you dont.  But hey I am in the same boat with you.  I just need to figure out my finances... means selling some of stuff I really dont need to have like other toys (SW, extra joes, etc.)

419414[/snapback]

Bro, you got to keep the GI Joes!!!

I just dont see the difference in price even of the legalities were solved. Toys like the SOCs and other japanese properties are still very costly (aside from Transformers, and even then I buy the Binaltech version over the Alternators and MC Convoy over 20 Anniversary Prime). The fact is, these are high end quality toys. Hell even the crap Toynami spews out is way over priced, and those things are available domestically. I'm fine with the legal entanglements so long as HG doesn't get any of my cash. If they would start putting out similar quality products I would gladly throw some their way.

It just would just mean they have access to a bigger overall market. More people buying them will accelerate profits as a larger audience has access to them. If they can't deal directly with us, it adds an extra barrier for someone to find the toys. Why do you think the first thing a newbie on the forum says is: "where do I go to buy valks from?" They want to know where the best place to get these from is as they are not within reach. On top of that you got robotech fans unable to know what yamato toys even are because they can't even speak about other products, so there is no community to help each other out.

How would that affect price? The same way there are two different prices for scopedog and megazone 23 toys.

As for the quality of the toys: who ever questioned that they were not high end quality toys? (besides the diecast nazis and those who expect chunky munky levels of robustness? :D)

The ideal would be to have the toynami stuff, but it has to compete against the yamato stuff, rather than people having to grey importer because they are not living in japan. It reminds me of all the hassle I used to have trying to get access to import games for titles that do not get worldwide release. Then having the seller boost the price because they knew it was hard for non-local people to find and get.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

It just would mean they have access to a bigger overall market. More people buying them will accelerate profits as a larger audience has access to them. If they can't deal directly with us, it adds an extra barrier for someone to find the toys. Why do you think the first thing a newbie on the forum says is: "where do I go to buy valks from?" They want to know where the best place to get these from is as they are not within reach. On top of that you got robotech fans unable to know what yamato toys even are because they can't even speak about other products, so there is no community to help each other out.

How would that affect price? The same way there are two different prices for scopedog and megazone 23 toys.

As for the quality of the toys: who ever questioned that they were not high end quality toys? (besides the diecast nazis and those who expect chunky munky levels of robustness? :D)

419561[/snapback]

What were the 2 different prices for both of those toys if I may ask... I honestly dont know since I dont have either. I'm just going by other toys I have bought and the fact that I can't go in and buy these are TRU or Walmart means I have to get them shipped anyway.

It just would mean they have access to a bigger overall market. More people buying them will accelerate profits as a larger audience has access to them. If they can't deal directly with us, it adds an extra barrier for someone to find the toys. Why do you think the first thing a newbie on the forum says is: "where do I go to buy valks from?" They want to know where the best place to get these from is as they are not within reach. On top of that you got robotech fans unable to know what yamato toys even are because they can't even speak about other products, so there is no community to help each other out.

419561[/snapback]

What were the 2 different prices for both of those toys if I may ask... I honestly dont know since I dont have either. I'm just going by other toys I have bought and the fact that I can't go in and buy these are TRU or Walmart means I have to get them shipped anyway.

419564[/snapback]

i agree. as much as i wish that yamato toys would be sold in the US, its not like we'd see them sold everywhere to begin with. buyers decide what merchandise gets sold in their stores, whether its a big store like TRU or a small one like KBtoys. if the buyer for XYZ company doesn't think the item will sell, thats the end of it.

theres only 3 plus sides i can think of having them here in the US,

1. cheaper shipping, i think we can all agree that overseas shipping is killing us.

2. the possibilty of finding them at a discount/sale/clearance, though you'd still have to go to a anime/comic/hobby store, theres still hope.

3. haggling, i'm not one to really do this but its far easier to try to get a deal on something thats being sold throughout the US, as opposed to something thats strictly an import item.

Shipping cost will not go down. We need to remember the cost of shipping is directly tied to the fuel costs. Oil has been hovering above $70. If anything, the cost will go up.

Also affecting the pricing is the currency. The yen vs the dollar is a big issue. If the dollar keeps falling and/or the yen rises, the price is going to go higher. Yes, i am sure there is some built in pricing of profits but still we the ppl in overseas get stuck with the nice shipping bill.

1. cheaper shipping, i think we can all agree that overseas shipping is killing us.

2. the possibilty of finding them at a discount/sale/clearance, though you'd still have to go to a anime/comic/hobby store, theres still hope.

3. haggling, i'm not one to really do this but its far easier to try to get a deal on something thats being sold throughout the US, as opposed to something thats strictly an import item.

In an alternate universe and assuming the legal issue weren't there :) :

-the product could be promoted as HG wouldn't try to hide them :D

-if parts snap, you have some support. (MW people can rely on recasters, but what about those who never knew about MW or where to get them?)

-more total buyers: Japan macross fans buying valks + international fans buying valks = more total sold yamato macross toys. (maybe it's just a case of getting it out there and people knowing its there? I only stumbled upon them due to chance and talking about toynami ones.)

Now I reason that the more of something that is out there, the more seller has to compete to sell it. So say on ebay you see a store overstocked with older releases and they want to clear some space or something. The perception is that this thing is not rare. People will pay a normal price for it. But something that is hard to find? The value goes up, and people are prepared to pay massive amount because of all the hassle they have to go to just to find it. (they may have not had the money to buy it at the time of release but now have to pay more than what it was worth if they buy it later.)

This is where I have gripe about inflated price: when the seller knows damn well how hard it is to find and boost the price and only put them back to normal price if news of a reissue is imminent. :D (there is just an upper limit on what someone will be willing to pay. Nothing to do with quality as qaulity stays the same: a low vis valk is the same quality as a cannon fodder, and the qaulity doesn't really change with time, just demand for one. Nobody is attacking the qaulity of the product which is what one poster was assuming.)

Shipping cost will not go down. We need to remember the cost of shipping is directly tied to the fuel costs. Oil has been hovering above $70. If anything, the cost will go up.

If it is due to fuel prices that is totally understandable. As a reaction to the rise, maybe there is some way they can make the boxes more compact or something? (at the sacrifice of presentation)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker