New 1:1 Dyrl Helmet

hirohawa

• 1 month later...

I am looking forward for the pics too! I would love a TV version, anyway, where do we queue up or take a number?

• 5 months later...

I would definately be interested in a TV helmet with moving visor and attachable chin piece option. Hopefully this works out for you GM since I would definately like to see you produce a Macross Plus Isamu helmet. Of course, this all depends on final product. Probably end up with all 3 if the work is up to par.

I would love one, but would want it for practical (motorcycle) use. I'm a bit surprised no Japanese company has done one. No to derail the thread, has anyone tried to do a kit-conversion on an existing snell helmet... maybe a dirt bike helmet with plastic visor, etc? That way, we get a Macross looking helmet and the Macross accouterments to go with it? I would certainly love to give GeneralMayhem some of my money to meet that end...

Right, for starting from scratch. I'm talking about making essentially decorations for an already safety rated helmet.

That would be easier as long as the decorative bits were softer plastic than the rest of the crash hat, that way if you fell off it wouldnt hinder your safety. A while a go I saw a guy on a bike who had painted his helmet to look like a Macross one looked good. He had that reflective tint stuff on the visor so when it was up it looked like the helmet ridge. He could still use it down when needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might have happened when I had my virus attack a few weeks ago. A rather nasty one called Win32Virut at most of the programs on my hard drive, and I ended up having to reinstall 99% of my programs (Including Windows) from my backups. I'm only now getting things back to normal. Plus, it seems I'm still not getting a lot of my updates from Forums I'm subscribed to.

:(

~ GM

Edited by GeneralMayhem

Nope, not dead in the least. I simply had to push the project back a bit due to my partner's poor health to get other projects finished. Also, I scrapped my original sculpt, and started a new one from scratch so that the helmet could be sculpted over an existing cycle helmet, thus opening up the possibility of encorporating a real safety device underneath for people who had mentioned wanting to use it for such. A project never gets cancelled unless all orders get canceled by the customers, and even then, I sometimes go ahead and do one anyway just for the sake of making something to put on my display shelf. And with Toby Maguire starring in an upcoming Robotech live action film, Macross helmets are sure to be a hot item in the near future.

Yeah, the movie should be a good opportunity for you to crank out some helmets for alll those new cozplayers GM. :p

Well, hope all is good and getting better with you and your partner. :)

Still very serious about getting one. Interesting you are using existing helmets... so does that make it more or less expensive?

Was it hard to find a helmet that has the right shape to keep close to lineart?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It was fairly easy to find a basic spherical shaped helmet to base the mockup on, and having one as an inner shell will be an option, not a standard. It's still easier to cast the entire helmet as one piece and then add a padded liner leaving more room for a recessed visor, etc. I did it more as a matter of sizing and shape than anything else, but having the macross helmet parts as an addition to a usable cycle helmet seemed to be on some people's minds as a cool feature, so it could be done that way for someone that would only be interested in one made in that manner. Price shouldn't be affected, since it costs almost the same for a plain cylce helmet as it does for a molded flight helmet liner that I would be using for padding in a full helmet cast.

~ GM

Glad to see this is still going strong. Definately can't wait to see some photos but so far it seems like this is going to be really nice and the price is nothing so I can't really see why I wouldn't get one. I hope your original plans still hold on the add on parts for DYRL and possibly doing M+ helmets.