New Area 88 anime? Sweet...

jgrose

From the AN news page today:

According to the Natsume Goushin Ryu Dojo ( http://natsumemaya.terminus.net.au/news.htm ), the Japanese Comic Flapper Magazine has announced that Kaoru Shintani's classic military adventure story Area 88 will be revived for a new anime TV series next year. The Area 88 manga was first adapted into anime in a 1985-86 3 episode OAV series.

Yeah, but who's gonna play Shin? Kaneto Shiozawa died three years ago.

A sound alike sounds good to me. I'm just happy they are breathing life back into Area 88. Stupid CPM won't even release allt he OAVs on DVD.

Very cool news indeed...hope Sega or Namco grabs the rights to make an updated video game. The old Capcom arcade/SNES UN Squadron version was one of my favorite shooters.

Edited by Gaijin

I wonder if Shin will keep his usual haircut. Actually, we all know that they'll make him look like Aegis Fokker...

Totally sweet, I wonder if it will be a retelling with a whole new storyline, an animated version of the whole manga run, which would be sweet, or a continuation of the animated storyline. Personnally I hope for an animated version of the original manga.

SWEET!!! This is incredible news!!!

I still havent bought Area 88, but I've been planning on it for a while. Now I have a huge incentive to get my ass in gear ^__^ !

Power to the classics!

-BEN-MAN-

In short, Area 88 is a comic about mercenary pilot fighting a civil in an oil rich middle-east country.

The main character is a commercial pilot trainee and got tricked by his friend sign his life away to become a mercenary when his friend want to marry his girlfriend. The comics center around our hero who joined Area 88 (the air base's name), his mission, his relationship with his teamates, and ultimate fight against the bad guy who is secretly behind the whole civil war.