Half-life 2: Episode One

So, has anyone downloaded and played the new Half-Life 2 game Episode One? I'm waiting to read the reviews before I decide.

Although I loved Half-Life 2: Lost Coast that was released last year (I got it free for being a customer that purchased the gold edition of HL2) it was really short. I don't want to spend $20 on another addition that is THAT short. I'd rather just download a mod or a custom level. But if Episode One has more going for it, I think I might get it.

I'm waiting for the Half-Life 2 mod, No More Room In Hell. I'm waiting for reviews too. I dunno if I can justify to myself paying for something with really short gameplay. I'll stick with zombie-mod Counterstrike Source otherwise.

What do you all think of episodic gaming in general? Is that a good thing or bad thing?

I personally wish they would make whole games, an expansion, and like after 2 years you get the sequel which itself is another whole game.

I personally hope episodic doesn't take off (and companies don't jump on the bandwagon) and that it kinda fails.

For me it's like the difference between those weekly/monthly manga magazines with buttloads of different series episodes and you're following only one series.

I don't like the wait between episodes. I want to sit down and watch/play the whole damned thing. Okay it may take me multiple sessions, but I dont like the idea of being forced to wait. I want the option to do it all at once.

Then again I did go to watch each part of Lord of the Rings and didn't just wait for it all to be released on DVD. Same for PT Star Wars.

I'm waiting to do a proper upgrade to my system before I go and buy it off of steam, which barring anything unexpected should be next month. I was able to run the original HL2 decently (it should I built my computer specifically to run it back in 03), but unfortunately my once state of the art Radeon 9800 is now several generations behind, especially if I want to do anything with HDR.

I like episodic but so long as it has a good ending that ties up all the plot lines but leaves room for the sequel

(yes, Halo 2, I'm pointing my finger angrily at you)

I'm kind of burnt out on FPS these days. Ep 1 does look interesting but I'm in no real rush to play it. If it gets some awe-inspiring reviews I may look into it, but to be honest I wasn't too thrilled with HL2's keeps-you-on-the-rails approach, especially after the free roaming gameplay of Far Cry.

Mr March: There's a good review of episode 1 on eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65249

Very positive impressions all around. (usually they are pretty harsh critics)

the reader's comments section might be worth checking out later too

I like episodic but so long as it has a good ending that ties up all the plot lines but leaves room for the sequel

(yes, Halo 2, I'm pointing my finger angrily at you)

These are my thoughts. I just realised one thing though is that as you get older rather than going for those massive epic games that take up a lot of time, people today might like the idea of only a few hours of a game at once. When I think back to all the games, like the adventures like Zelda and stuff, I know I would never be able to commit that amount of time to the game again.

ie You beat them once, and then maybe play a second time after knowing what to do and how to solve a puzzle or dungeoun just to get 100% of all the secrets you missed, ..and then never touch it again because of how long the thing took.

My main fear is that all games might go that approach. I don't think I mind so much that it exists but that maybe the old "sequel as a whole game" idea might be avoided in favour of just patching parts of a story together without a feeling of completness. (eg you want to know what happens to a character so you keep playing, but say the quality of the game drops a bit or they pad that part with heaps of time consuming stuff that isn't enjoyable. But you force yourself to keep buying and buying to get a proper ending anyway)

The one advantage I can see is like with a tv series maybe you can get more indepth into the characters of the story and this will make genres that are not normally epic (fps) seem more RPG-ish in scale. (ie there is a major twist worth caring about after developing the characters, and over time, people start playing the games more for the story itself - a bit like me with final fantasy games - I am not as much a fan of the gameplay and system itself, but tag along for the ride to see "what happens next")

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm waiting for the Half-Life 2 mod, No More Room In Hell.  I'm waiting for reviews too.  I dunno if I can justify to myself paying for something with really short gameplay.  I'll stick with zombie-mod Counterstrike Source otherwise.

404679[/snapback]

I often fall in love with the idea of mods, but I'll be damned if I have ever seen one that was completed. They almost always fall apart because the creative team disbands due to school/work/personal life. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

What do you all think of episodic gaming in general? Is that a good thing or bad thing?

I personally wish they would make whole games, an expansion, and like after 2 years you get the sequel which itself is another whole game.

I personally hope episodic doesn't take off (and companies don't jump on the bandwagon) and that it kinda fails.

404686[/snapback]

*snip*

I really don't mind waiting for sequential stories in video games or films as long as the potential is clearly worth the wait. The Lord of The Rings films, Halo/Halo 2, and Half-Life/Half-Life 2 are all quality productions that I know are worth my money. I'd prefer to have them sooner rather than later, but it's not like I stop my life to wait for the releases anyway.

I just read the review and it seems like the third Half-Life game is HL2: Episode One. Must say that's kind of lame. I think I might wait until all three episodes are released before playing. I'm not really that impressed with playing just a third of a game, I'd like the sequels in complete packages. Kinda sucks.

Edited by Mr March

These are my thoughts. I just realised one thing though is that as you get older rather than going for those massive epic games that take up a lot of time, people today might like the idea of only a few hours of a game at once. When I think back to all the games, like the adventures like Zelda and stuff, I know I would never be able to commit that amount of time to the game again.

404708[/snapback]

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it boggles my mind the amount of time I spent on video games when I was younger. I don't really know where I found the time. But then again, I lived in a small town growing up with nothing to do, so I guess I just answered my own question :) Final Fantasy VII was the first and last Final Fantasy game I will ever play. Way too long, tedious, and frankly the story isn't remotely good enough to maintain my interest.

Just be thankful you realize you have to manage your time now as an adult. Some of my friends are still way to hardcore to be healthy :)

I've played about an hour into it and I've got to say I'm enjoying it. It seems to follow the same kind of formula as HL2, which I like. Episode one is an actual sequel, where as Lost Coast was just a glorified tech demo. (And I hate to break it to your Mr March, but wasn't Lost Coast free to everyone? :) ) Thumbs up so far, but there is more there for me to play before I give a final review.

(And I hate to break it to your Mr March, but wasn't Lost Coast free to everyone? :) )

404736[/snapback]

Oh really? When it first became available, I read reviews and wasn't interested. But then my friend told me it was free because I purchased the Gold Set, so I downloaded it. I've been under that impression ever since. I'm very happy it was free for everyone.

I really liked HL2 and I plan to buy this extra piece when I get a chance... but I'm still not "done" with ES4" Oblivion yet. I still have the theif stuff to do as well as a few other odds and ends before I'll officially call that game "done".

Then again I only get a few hours every few weeks to play games so it takes me forever to finish one.

I often fall in love with the idea of mods, but I'll be damned if I have ever seen one that was completed. They almost always fall apart because the creative team disbands due to school/work/personal life. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

404721[/snapback]

Dear sweet Bacon slathered Jesus, dont tell me you didn't play though all of the Neil Manke Half-Life mods "They Hunger" 1 through 3. This was absolutely the best ever game mod pack, the story wrapped up and I kid you not, I literally fell out of my chair from fright no less than three times playing through. It is old with dated graphics now but I would be remiss if I didn't get everyone that loves halflife to play those mods. Absolute perfection.

Edited by Ghadrack