Remastered Patlabor Movie I Is Freakin' Sweet

• 1 month later...

The Sound Renewal refers to the new audio recordings for the first 2 Patlabor films - it is not a mere remix for 5.1 but the soundtrack was actually re-recorded and you will hear noticeable differences from the original soundtrack recordings. Being a fan of the original P2 soundtrack, the Renewal version on CD just sounds jarring because of the different sound (I think Kenji Kawaii used different samples/patches) and the slightly altered arrangements on certain tracks.

I bought the LE DVD box of and the supplement disc is a bit of a let down. The 6 segments covered different subjects and the deptch of coverage was shallow at best. Take, for example, the segment on sound and music. You got composer Kenji Kawai and the sound guy sitting together and they only talked about the film's climatic scene for a few minutes. THAT'S IT. Nothing else. Compared to the amount of supplement materials that come with most movies on DVD these days, the briefness and lack of depth on the making-of leaves much to be desired. Even if you are a hardcore Patlabor fan I'd only give the LE box a reserved recommendation - better wait for the price to drop to $50 or less.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of which, I once found a website which specifies the best viewing order for the Patlabor universe, which makes the best of the chronology, but can't seem to find it anymore.

Does anyone know of this site, or know what the best viewing order is?

(I want my wife to watch it in order)

400684[/snapback]

I would suggest holding off Episodes 5 and 6 of the original OVA and watch it RIGHT BEFORE you watch Patlabor 2, since much of the elements of Patlabor 2 are based from this. After reading the Patlabor 2 archives book that came with the LE of Pat 2, it shows so much contrast and similarities.

I personally would go:

OVA Episodes 1 to 4, 7.

Patlabor 1 - The Movie

TV Series

Patlabor New Files

OVA Episodes 5 and 6.

Patlabor 2

Patlabor WXIII.

But that's just me.

Also, this is the best English Patlabor fan site that I've come across. It's from some mate in Australia.

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~mwhitley/index.htm

EDIT: And for the love of God, how FREAKING UGLY is this cover. Worse than the North American ICO cover for PS2. This is one of the main reasons I upped to the LE. Seriously.

B000E5LF0A.jpg

Notice how who ever just did a piss poor job of photoshopping the 1/35 MG Alphonse in the background. That doesn't even look like Noa Izumi. LOL Fan art.

Edited by Spatula

You're going to hate me, but I really lucked out somehow with the new Limited Collectors Edition. About a month back (when I was still in Calgary) I purchased the set for $60 CDN at Future Shop. I haven't a clue why it was so cheap. But I took it and ran :)

I don't mind, and no wonder I thought you lived in calgary - where I am. At least my mom didn't freak out at $160 some just spent on like 2 movies. LOL.

It's an LE, so price doesn't really have a huge impact, unless if its for $200 a pop.

I don't mind, and no wonder I thought you lived in calgary - where I am.  At least my mom didn't freak out at $160 some just spent on like 2 movies.  LOL.

It's an LE, so price doesn't really have a huge impact, unless if its for $200 a pop.

419236[/snapback]

Yeah, I just moved to Ontario recently.

I'll probably get nailed on the LCE Set for Patlabor 2 though. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find it so cheap again. But you're right, for these movies, I'd pay a little extra to get a nice edition on DVD.

Indeed.

I know a lot of anime fans in north america are angry about the anime distribution companies releasing special editions of their long owned properties. It does limit the amount of new anime being released, especially stuff that a lot of anime fans have wanted to see for years (thinking Legend of Galactic Heroes here). But I really do enjoy properly mastered DVD editions with special features WHEN it's such a DVD for an anime I really like.

I mean, if this was a special edition of most other anime I wouldn't care. But I adore the first two Patlabor films, so I've been expecting a proper, uber-edition DVD for a long time. Same thing with stuff like Nausicaa, GHost in the Shell, and Akira. Naturally, I'm waiting for a damn fine edition of Macross Plus :)

I never mind re-releases and special editions when it comes to DVDs, anime or not, when its from some title released back in the early years of the format before remastering and special features really caught on. The Patlabor movies are good cases in point. Not only are they among my favourites, but the first editions left so much to be desired that an update was more than welcome, even at the sorta high Amazon.com prices I paid. I only get ticked off when we get bare bones releases of current films, just knowing that there's going to be a special edition in less than a year.

For anime companies, who don't tend to rake in tons of profit, I sometimes don't mind supporting a re-release since it helps fill their coffers and fund new acquisitions (hopefully).

And I think all Macross fans dream of a better Macross Plus... :D

I WIN!

Well, I thought I was all happy when I bought Pat 1 for $95 CDN with GST. But today as I was shopping at HMV, I was just gonna get Pulp Fiction and Perfect Blue for $15 each, for the 2 for 30 deal. So I head to the back of the room where they have the box collections. AND WHAT DO I SEE. Patlabor 1 LE, selling for $65.99.

HOLY SMOKES.

I quickly buy it, and ask the clerk if I take off the price sticker if that's okay, since I was gonna get it as a gift (LOL), he said sure, as long as the packaging is still intact. So I drive like a crazy maniac to Futureshop and get out my receipt, peel off the HMV sticker, and say that this was a gift for a friend, but he didn't want it, so that's why the price sticker is missing.

$95 refunded onto my Visa.

Of course what did I do with the extra $26 in savings?

You guessed it, got more anime.

WINNNNNNNNNNNN

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET PATLABOR 1 - 2 LE, GET IT AT HMV AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PAY MORE THAN $75 OR ELSE YOU'RE GETTING RIPPED AT ANY SHOP

About a month back (when I was still in Calgary) I purchased the set for $60 CDN at Future Shop. I haven't a clue why it was so cheap. But I took it and ran

You DID pay for it, right.

Edited by Spatula

About a month back (when I was still in Calgary) I purchased the set for $60 CDN at Future Shop. I haven't a clue why it was so cheap. But I took it and ran

You DID pay for it, right.

419938[/snapback]

LOL :) Of course I did. I've never stole anything in my life.

Thanks for the tip about LE Patlabor 2 at HMV. I'll get it there once I start working again.

Deepdiscountdvd.com has both LE's for $59.85 with free shipping.

419958[/snapback]

That doesn't help us Canucks :) It's $74.14 CAD on Deep Discount's Canadian website.

http://search.deepdiscountdvd.ca/search?p=....x=0&search.y=0

Damn, I really did luck out getting the first one for $60 CAD. That means I purchased it for $52.08 USD. I thank my lucky stars :)

What a winner.  Scamming a store for less than 30 bucks.  Guess that's how much your dignity's worth.

419959[/snapback]

What ever. It's my money.

Also for the Deepdiscountdvd. The $59 is USD, but for some reason the canadsian site shows $74, and that's where I got my Pat 2 from.

What a winner.  Scamming a store for less than 30 bucks.  Guess that's how much your dignity's worth.

419959[/snapback]

Where's the scam? Future Shop gets to return the DVD to the distributor for credit or just restocks it (it's still untouched in the plastic, after all), HMV got paid what it was asking, and Spatula saves $26.

I guess some people like paying extra for anime. Patlabor 1 & 2 is indeed ranking at the top tier levels of my anime movies, but then I have to be reasonable here. The movie itself is great, but if you're going to pay at least $60 on top of the movie (judging from the regular edition) for the Archives book and Storyboard, then either you're filthy rich or you just like to spend extra or you are giving out of your benelovence to already a multimedia giant - Futureshop/Best Buy that really will just piss on a $26 lost revenue, seriously. $26 is a lot to me, and well, I could have used it for my weekly gas bills, but instead, got more DVDs LOL.

What would be a real kicker is someone getting caught shop lifting the YOU'RE UNDER ARREST DVD box collections. LOL.

Edited by Spatula

I got my LEs for $57 each with $2 shipping at Overstock. I also got Wasted 13 for $30. So win for me. Plus I get 5% from using my credit at overstock.

Edit: My bad. I got mine for $61 a piece with a 10% discount which made it $55 each and for Patlabor 3, I got it for $39 but with 10% discount it made it $35. Then take an addition 5% rebate from my credit card, I got my LEs for $52 and for Patlabor 3, $33 or so.

Edited by Godzilla

• 3 months later...

oh yeah and how does each "Limited Edition" set chaulk up? I liked Patlabor The Movie 1 so I bought a used Limited Edition set off amazon right now ("very good" condition better be VERY FREAKIN GOOD <_< ) but I was curious about how good the Patlabor 2 Limited Edition set was.... I haven't even seen the second movie yet so I'll probably rent it first but is the Limited set for part 2 worth getting if I've already got the one for the first movie? it was also $10 more on amazon for some reason...

so anyways is the limited set for part 2 worth it? ^_^

I gots questions too.

I know I'm going to get into Patlabor, and these movies are on my list. I would just get the regular edition, but I hear there is line art in the LE books. I'm a sucker for line art. Are we talking a bunch of line art? Does the LE for Patlabor 2 have lineart as well? Please tell me about the line art included in each set, if you don't mind.

Thanks!

The books that come with the LE's wont be a replacement for a proper art book in terms of line art, but there is quite a bit. Keep in mind it's not that big though, the books are the size of a DVD case. The books come with lots of other stuff, like location photos used for production, interviews, translated articles and complete storyboards for both films.

Well worth it I'd say.

Ya, if you're keen enough to know all about the creative direction for the franchise, the LE boxsets are a must-have. The content is not focused on the mecha or charas! For line-art, you'll need to track down some of the old 90s-era books. There were also a couple of super cool Hobby Japan published 'Patlabor in 3D' volumes with the various garage and plamo kits assembled into gorgeous dioramas, with several scenes by the master modeler Takuji Yamada. More recently, there was a MG-kit diorama book: http://www.hlj.com/product/HBJMK-06 <- HLJ says it's 'discontinued' but you might luck out on Amazon Japan or Kinokuniya.

ya I have one or two of those old Hobby Japan books with the diorama scenes... so cool. that "3D Book" is also on ebay right now I think..

so anyways it sounds like both LE version are worth having... and the best part about them is that all that material is translated (right? :D ). are they ever going to do an LE version of part 3?