Macross Zero & Other Anime Boolegs?....

retroborg

By the way, hasn't Macross Zero been released on DVD with English subtitles all ready:

Or is this a bootleg copy?

http://www.sundevildvd.com/store/product.p...05&cat=0&page=1

Then again, that DVD itself could be released directly from Bandai themselves since they're a global company after all.

But what about these:

Macros DYRL

http://www.sundevildvd.com/store/product.p...08&cat=0&page=1

Macross 7

http://www.sundevildvd.com/store/product.p...05&cat=0&page=1

Are they bootlegs?

Apparently, it would seem that there are two different Macross Zero complete (5 episode) DVD collections:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Zero-Deluxe-Co...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Zero-0-DVD-Eng...1QQcmdZViewItem

They've got 2 different covers and they're both region free (0)

Interesting... now I'm confused…

I used to have the first two episodes of Macross Zero 2 1/2 years ago that I downloaded off iMesh still in Japanese with the english subtitles but if you want them you should visit iMesh's website to download the program I used to obtain these bootlegs.

I have one of those Zero copies and the Sundevil DYRL (which is NOT the "Perfect Edition" as they tend to claim on e-bay!).

The problem with bootlegs is that they are translated by Chinese who have a basic english vocabulary, so often you'll find strangely structured sentences or odd terms used in the dialogue.

The best bet is to find fansubs on the net and use a program like DVDSanta or ConvertXtoDVD to convert them to DVD for yourself.

Fansubs have the best translations of non-licensed titles.

The only exception is the Hurin re-sub of DYRL for the Region 2 Bandai and the Region 0 FX versions of Macross DYRL, which can be found on these forums.

Edited by Zinjo

By the way, what's the difference between Macross DYRL "Perfect Edition" and the "basic" edition (if there is one)?

If that Macross DYRL is not the "Perfect Edition" then what is it?

How good is the video/audio quality of these bootlegs?

And how are all these Bootlegs made? Are they DivX re-mastered into DVDs, or do they simply copy the original Japanese DVDs, add the English subs, re-print and repackage them without the original publisher’s seal?

Thanks.

Edited by retroborg

The Macross "Perfect Edition" bootleg DVD by FX did something most bootlegs don't do, which is have excellent audio and video quality and encoding and have better than usual subtitle accuracy (though still not good by any means, see Hurin's outstanding re-sub thread for what perfect edition subs should look like). If you have a high tilt home entertainment system then you will see a quality difference between the FX Perfect Edition and the other regular editions. While the perfect edition is still a copy of an original master, it is a darn clean copy.

As for your other questions, well... bootlegs are just that, bootlegs. "Quality" is generally a lost concept most of the time. Generally what bootleggers do is get ahold of legit DVD sets, say for case of argument the Macross Zero 1-5 DVDs, and then they rip the video and audio off the original discs, hastily translate the show into chinese and engrish and set up the subtitles, perhaps they will cobble together a simple menu or two and then re-encode (and usually heavily compress) the material back onto fewer discs than it originally came. They can shrink 9 and 10 disc box sets down to 3 discs and they usually do. Meter stick is the more they are cramming onto a smaller disc set the lower the quality will be. And as others have already said the subtitles are translated with usually only a basic understanding of english. While most of the time they get the incidental things right (IE "He went into the house") they usually horribly confuse names, propper nouns and syntax (It is not uncommon in bootleg subs for characters to be given completely wrong names).

Also keep in mind that bootlegs are bootlegs. They are illegal copies of someone else's copyrighted material sold without their approval. If at all possible purchase legit copies when available.

Since that Macross DYRL at sundevil is the standard edition, where could one get the perfect edition bootleg?

What about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Movie-Do-You-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Movie-Do-You-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

The reason I ask is because I recently bought a licensed Region 2 Macross Plus (Movie & 4 Episode – Ultimate Edition Pack) which had terrible subs.

I also got an original Region 2 Vampire Hunter D – Bloodlust, with poor video quality. (At some points it would freeze for a few secs and there were visible “snow†marks in various scenes.

The 1st released by "Manga Video" and the 2nd by "Optimum Asia"

Where as some other bootlegs which I own are of superior quality.

I live in Europe, so have Macross DYRL, Macross II & Zero been licensed for the Euro PAL Region 2?

Also, please excuse my ignorance as my experience in DVD ripping is poor, but what exactly are “fansubs�

Edited by retroborg

Both are bootlegs. FX versions from the looks of it.

I live in Europe, so have Macross DYRL, Macross II & Zero been licensed for the Euro PAL Region 2?

DYRL?....this one is iffy and may not have a definite answer as we are unsure who owns the license to it and in which countries.

II and Zero are not licensed in R2-Euro/PAL.

Also, please excuse my ignorance as my experience in DVD ripping is poor, but what exactly are “fansubs”?

390748[/snapback]

Google is a wonderful thing....

http://www.fansubs.net/fsw/general/

These fansubs you're referring to, are they only in DivX / Xvid encoding, subbed anime found at various P2P, or are they also in full DVD format subbed by fans, available at P2P?

I got Macross DYRL in DivX encoding from emule, which does say in the beginning “If you paid for this you got screwedâ€

The subs in this specific one are very well translated, but the letters are small, blue & green in colour, embedded into the file and I can’t make them any larger.

So it’s a bit hard trying to read them, especialy if you display the film on a TV via TV-Out.

Thanks.

These fansubs you're referring to, are they only in DivX / Xvid encoding, subbed anime found at various P2P, or are they also in full DVD format subbed by fans, available at P2P?

391078[/snapback]

Majority of them...yes.

Don't count on it.

Sundevil uses the same graphic and the disc is a regular bootleg.

I got Macross DYRL in DivX encoding from emule, which does say in the beginning “If you paid for this you got screwedâ€

The subs in this specific one are very well translated, but the letters are small, blue & green in colour, embedded into the file and I can’t make them any larger.

So it’s a bit hard trying to read them, especialy if you display the film on a TV via TV-Out.

There is a program called "AVI Sub Extractor" (I believe, I have it on my home system-currently at work) that rips subs "as they are" from embedded subs in AVI files. From that you will have to re-do the subs with a subtitling program using the same frame numbers.

Hurin is the resident "expert" on such matters.

Essentially you may have to redo the subs for your DVD and then encode it on to a DVD.

It sounds complicated, but many programs out there make it relatively easy with some tutorials and practice.

Better yet, just buy the Valkyrie Exchange's FX copy and use Hurin's subs to do the job, the quality is much better than what you would probably get on your own.

Edited by Zinjo

Thanks for all the info on the subs!

I'll be sure to try it out!

By the way, where could one buy the "Perfect Edition" bootleg DVD of Macross DYRL by FX and not the standard one?

There are quite a few Macross DYRL DVDs at e-bay that claim to be the "Perfect Edition", but I can't be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the info on the subs!

I'll be sure to try it out!

By the way, where could one buy the "Perfect Edition" bootleg DVD of Macross DYRL by FX and not the standard one?

There are quite a few Macross DYRL DVDs at e-bay that claim to be the "Perfect Edition", but I can't be sure.

Thanks in advance.

391955[/snapback]

VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

The owner of the site hangs out here (using the same handle as above), so contact him via PM and he'll be able to hook you up...

Avoid sundevil DVD like the plague. Not only do they miss advertise as in the case of the DYRL edition mentioned above but they also have the annoying habit of just assuming that you'll be content with a similar title (especially in the case of Gundam stuff) if they don't have what you really ordered. Say you order Victory gundam and they are out of stock...they will just send you a turn A gundam instead and hope you'll keep it.

Also when I lived in the Phoenix area (where sundevil is run from) 2 of the best anime/comic stores in the valley refused to order from sundevil again because of all the problems they were having. Sundevil would take their money (hundreds of dollars) and then not send the anime.

Avoid them like the plague.

There are plenty of better shops than Sundevil, though you guys should also be warry of Animeniacs as of late. Apparently they're intentionally ordering from distributers that make CD-R copies instead of actual factory pressed disc's, charge exactly the same price for them, don't list them any different, etc. Multi-disc sets (like a gundam box set) should be ok, but beware any 1-2 disc releases.

VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

The owner of the site hangs out here (using the same handle as above), so contact him via PM and he'll be able to hook you up...

391956[/snapback]

*raises hand*

One please!

I though V-E e-store was closed?

VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

391956[/snapback]

*raises hand*

One please!

392319[/snapback]

Do a member search to find his account then PM him.

VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

391956[/snapback]

*raises hand*

One please!

392319[/snapback]

392353[/snapback]

Kevin did close the e-store. However, he is liquidating his stock so feel free to e-mail him or PM him and ask what he has left in-stock.

Avoid sundevil DVD like the plague.  Not only do they miss advertise as in the case of the DYRL edition mentioned above but they also have the annoying habit of just assuming that you'll be content with a similar title (especially in the case of Gundam stuff) if they don't have what you really ordered.  Say you order Victory gundam and they are out of stock...they will just send you a turn A gundam instead and hope you'll keep it. 

Also when I lived in the Phoenix area (where sundevil is run from) 2 of the best anime/comic stores in the valley refused to order from sundevil again because of all the problems they were having.  Sundevil would take their money (hundreds of dollars) and then not send the anime.

Avoid them like the plague.

392056[/snapback]

I've purchased a few times from SunDevil and the last order I placed was delayed for a month. First I ordered two DVDs, one being Victory Gundam. Two weeks later no shipment yet. I email them, get the runaround for a few more days and then they tell me they are out of stock (even thougb it's listed as available on the site). Then I order Gundam X to replace V Gundam. Few more days and no reply. I wait another week and email them, and leave a message with the message board mod they have on the website. They tell me the person in charge had some "personal problems" and was not able to send out the shipment AND that Gundam X is also out of stock. I finally choose another DVD set and email them to either send me the DVDs they've already charged me for or cancel my order. Few days later I got the DVDs I ordered after a month.

I don't think I'll use them again, the first order I placed from them was via eBay and I received the DVD within a week since I'm in CA. But after the runaround and excuses no more.

VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

391956[/snapback]

*raises hand*

One please!

392319[/snapback]

392353[/snapback]

Kevin did close the e-store. However, he is liquidating his stock so feel free to e-mail him or PM him and ask what he has left in-stock.

392362[/snapback]

What is Kevin's user name to PM him?

Thanks.