Do Some Mecha Shows Deserve To Be Forgotten?

Liottel

Ok folks - There are a lot of really good mecha shows that don't deserve to be forgotten. Fang Of The Sun Dougram was a brilliant political mecha-show, and one of the longest running single mecha shows of all time. Dorvack was cheesy and derivative, but it was really fun. God Mazinger was mediocre, but it had quite a few really fun moments to it. Metal Armor Dragonar was Gundam In New Clothes, and had absolutely nothing original going for it whatsoever - but it was pretty and had great music. Very fun to watch. Gold Lightan is one of the stupidest shows you'll ever see - but if you watch enough of it, it is AWESOME. Platnimhugen Ordian is one of the most bizarre psychotic anime you'll ever see, and I'm really not sure I enjoyed it, but its definitely worth a look. Even little known OVAs such as BIG WARS can be entirely enjoyable for casual viewing.

So, is there ANY mecha show that is just so flamboyantly terrible you SHOULD NOT see it even if given the opportunity?

Yes.

Srungle. Srungle is one of the worst anime ever made, in my oppinion. Its absolutely terrible. In the 5 DVD box set (Box set #1 of 2), there was only one episode I thought was remotely entertaining. I can't really describe how mind numbingly retardely stupid the entire series is. The production quality is --attrocious--, the characters are terrible... I really really wanted to like it - but in the end I was thoroughly repulsed by it.

Do you folks know of any other shows you thought had ABSOLUTELY no redeeming value??

~Liottel.

Srungle! I think I actually had a toy from this show, but I didn't know what it was at the time. I really loved the toy until my dipsh*t friend broke it.

I think Srungle was aired in the US (spliced with another show a la Robotech) as Macron 1. I still remember the theme song!

Ma-ma-ma-ma ma-ma Macron 1!

I watched it because it "looked like Robotech." I remember they played "King for a Day" by the Thompsons Twins and "Beat It" by Michael Jackson, in the actual show, during action scenes. That was wild.

I still want that toy...

Macron 1 badly combined Goshogun and Srungle, kind of like Robotech, but worse, since they would try to cut from footage of one Goshogun character to one Srungle character and back and pretend they were having a conversation. Oh so bad.

Also Goshogun is pretty entertaining, and Srungle is like getting your eyes eaten by parasitic worms.

I have I think 5 or 6 episodes of Ma-ma-ma-ma-macron 1 on VHS.

the only mecha show that i recall that should be forgotten was the Go-bots. they just had channel on my TV the aired a few classic episodes and the Movie and my god was it horrible. i remember in the 1980's i loved anything with robots i would catch the Transformers, Voltron and others every day but i always avoided watching the Go-bots, after about 20 years i could not remember why, until i saws those episodes again, everything is so generic the characters, the voices the animation the stories. that is one we need to forget about.

chris

*snip*

Do you folks know of any other shows you thought had ABSOLUTELY no redeeming value??

390084[/snapback]

Oh dear... :)

While I adore the concept of mecha - by mecha I mean the "big, giant robot" definition - it will forever remain a cursed genre plagued by horrible anime stories. IMO, there are so very few quality mecha shows that I best leave my opinion of bad mecha anime as it is, lest I produce an extensive list invoking the wrath of many an NGE or Gundam fan :)

I will take your advice and stay far away from Srungle, which will be easy since this is the first time I've ever heard of it ;)

the only mecha show that i recall that should be forgotten was the Go-bots. they just had channel on my TV the aired a few classic episodes and the Movie and my god was it horrible.

390150[/snapback]

LOL

Go-bots! Yeah, that show was pretty terrible.

I'm not a mecha-anime expert by any stretch of the imagination but I thought Gasaraki sucked hard.

Srungle! I think I actually had a toy from this show, but I didn't know what it was at the time. I really loved the toy until my dipsh*t friend broke it.

I think Srungle was aired in the US (spliced with another show a la Robotech) as Macron 1. I still remember the theme song!

I watched it because it "looked like Robotech." I remember they played "King for a Day" by the Thompsons Twins and "Beat It" by Michael Jackson, in the actual show, during action scenes. That was wild.

I still want that toy...

390117[/snapback]

Here you go..... :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Srungle-Clover-Srung-C...4QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Skull 0ne

I could think of a lot of shows, but one comes up at the very top of my list - MD Geist. I made the mistake of watching it about 10 years ago when I was first getting into anime. It was so damn bad that I almost stopped watching anime entirely.