Converting 1/48 Into Minmay Guard

GutsAndCasca

I want to convert a 1/48 VF into a Minmay Guard. What I want to know, is should I airbrush the entire valk white, or just strip the paint off where it needs to be stripped off? If someone can help, please let me know!

---Bri

Well I've never worked on toys (ABS), I'm a model guy, but I would think it is better to strip the enitre thing and start from scratch. Otherwise you will run into the problem of matching the colour and finish of the Factory that produced the toy, not an easy task for a beginner (or anyone I'd imagine).

Before you do any stripping make sure you have the stickers/decals you will need for the project, as well as the paint of course! and you might want to consult someone (Kurt?) about how/which parts need to be disassembled, 'cus I don't think you need to take it completely apart to paint it - just the main sub assemblies.

But as I said I'm a model guy and I don't even have a 1/48 so I'm not sure about that last part.

I am going to be doing one soon myself, and I asked Kurt about it, and he said that he stripped off all of the markings. The only problem is that I'm doing mine on a Captain America VF-1D, and my 1D conversion kit is the orange color.

I am going to be doing one soon myself, and I asked Kurt about it, and he said that he stripped off all of the markings.  The only problem is that I'm doing mine on a Captain America VF-1D, and my 1D conversion kit is the orange color.

389317[/snapback]

So your making a VF-1D minmei guard?

Full paint strip and full repaint with a good primer if you want to do it right. I've made enough of these to know, but it's a lot of work. You'll want a consistent white or slightly off-white background upon which to put the large format decals. This is most effectively achieved through a good paint job. That is, unless you're a Jedi Master at paint stripping.... Even then, the stock Yamato white can be a little too harsh for the decals, giving the valk a less than "realistic" feel.

I want to convert a 1/48 VF into a Minmay Guard. What I want to know, is should I airbrush the entire valk white, or just strip the paint off where it needs to be stripped off? If someone can help, please let me know!

---Bri

389025[/snapback]

As was said earlier, it is best to strip the ABS and repaint. A LIGHT sanding to ensure paint adhesion helps. ABS is actaully close to styrene in some areas, obviously more durable. I've found from experience that the light sanding helps. Especially if you're going to pose it differently from time to time. High grit sandpaper should be used. Coarser grades will ruin the texture. That's one difference between the two types of plastics. ABS doesn't sand well unless you wet sand it too by the way. Just my two cents... - MT

Edited by MechTech

What I once thought was a straight-forward project is fast becoming a complexity withing complexities. I was hoping to finish in a month or less, but this looks like it's going to take more like 6 months. College + wife + kid = not much spare time. Well... my 1st step is going to be converting a VF-1J Hikaru into an MG1. (I have a photo of a Hasegawa VF-1J with MG1 decals and it looks absolutely awesome.) The MG2 with strike armor VF-1S will be my 2nd project, which I'm hoping the MG1 will get me ready for. You know. On 2nd thought, I think I'll make my VERY 1st project just converting a Hikaru VF-1S into a Max.

If anyone has suggestions on the best kind of masking tape to use --- please don't hesitate to post! I bought some 99cent store masking tape and used it on painting up one of my kid's GIJoe tanks and the paint totally leaked in a lot of places.

---Bri

It may sound dauntinng, but it all that is needed is some simple skills, some practise, and confidence.

You might want ask around and see what kinnd of materials folks around here use when working with ABS -(i.e. what kind of paint? what kind of primer? what grits of sandpaper? what to use for clear coating/ etc.).

Also try to work out the order inwhich you will be progressing through the project, you might want to write it down. If your not sure just ask the guys here.

Once you've done this, then just take it step by step. The secret to this kind of stuff (at least what I've learned from models) is PLAN YOUR WORK THEN WORK YOUR PLAN :D

As before Good Luck!

P. S. It's a real good idea to practise on stuff that's not too dear to you while your learning. But you seem to know that already B))

Charles.