Poor Animation Episodes

Isoquant

Does anyone actually have a list of the episodes that have the substandard animation? From what I understand, the animation was farmed out from time to time to a third party that did less than impressive work.

From what I can remember, episodes 3 and 7 weren't that great. Can anyone round out the rest of the list?

I have a feeling we're gonna see the words "Anime Friend" all over this thread.

371689[/snapback]

Yeah like A7 said, Anime Friend was a subcontracted animation company.... They worked cheaper than the Big West guys, but they also did lousy work. They primarily did the poorly animated episodes.

There are actually 3 levels of quality in the Macross TV show.

1.) Studio Nue episodes(bobbytrap quality)

2.)Tatsunoko episodes Medium...not bad but not as nice as the Studio Nue ones

3.) Anime Friend(Fiend is more like it) A very piss poor animation studio that Tatsunoko farmed out to when they were behind schedule.

Think Max and Milias wedding...peeeyeeww.

Yeah like A7 said, Anime Friend was a subcontracted animation company.... They worked cheaper than the Big West guys, but they also did lousy work.  They primarily did the poorly animated episodes.

371712[/snapback]

You mean they worked cheaper than Artland and Studio Nue.

Edited by Ginrai

Yeah like A7 said, Anime Friend was a subcontracted animation company.... They worked cheaper than the Big West guys, but they also did lousy work.  They primarily did the poorly animated episodes.

371712[/snapback]

You mean they worked cheaper than Artland and Studio Nue.

371983[/snapback]

Right, I meant Studio Nue.

If you have the AnimEigo dvds you can easily tell which ones where done by the respective studios. Or if you want you should be able to find the linear and production notes online. If not, there is bound to be someone here who is kind enough to investigate this information and list it for you. :)

However, IMO you can tell just by watching which episodes from the tv series used subpar animation.

Opposite to what has been asked, The best animation I can think of for SDF Macross was when Hikaru saved Misa in the Super VF-1. I just remember it had an awesome transformation sequence and then when he communicated to Misa with his running lights! WOW from what I remember that was DYRL quality! which episode was that?

Chris