1/55 Models?

jenius

It seems to me no one ever bothered making 1/55 model kits for Macross items. As I understand things, 1/55 is a pretty wacky scale and not a model industry standard in the least. Seems to me though that, if I had a model company with a Macross license back in the early 80s, it would have been a brilliant move. Obviously the 1/55 toys were a big hit in Japan so building models in the same scale would have been a wet dream for every customizer. What would the down side have been? Would Takatoku feel the models were competing with their toys?

Yep. When I heard that the Valks were in 1/55th I thought, "what the heck is that! Nothing else is in 1/55th! No accessories no nuthin'!" Like 1/60th is much better, but at least Yamato is making more than just Valks in it.

go back and play with the kids in the toy forum.

just messing with ya. No modeler wants anything except 1/144, 1/100, 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 (or 1/35 for armor). We want things to be inscale with all our other models. Most popular are 1/72 and 1/48, but as a rule bigger is always better. Personally, I get annoyed when people do things in odd scales.

Amen brother!

363325[/snapback]

I'll second that. I never understood that about the 1/160 Monster kit either. Why 1/160? Is it a popular scale in Japan?

363328[/snapback]

Yeah.

Do them in scales that items can be grouped in. I mean I love 1/72 so im not really wanting a kit in 1/60 because it will be out of scale on my display shelves.

That said I do have 8 1/55`s and a couple of 1/100`s

Cars should be collected in 1/24 imho unless its really special then 1/1 scale or failing that 1/48 or bigger.

1/160 is actually railroad scale (N-Gauge) as well. You don´t get other mecha kits to scale (but 1/170 is close so you can add some Valks) but you can let your Monster stomp on houses, trees and cars!

Strange though that N-Gauge in Japan is actually 1/150 while it is 1/160 in the rest of the world (the rails in Japan are a bit narrower so they scaled things slightly up to allow people to interchange trains/rails with other brands) so 1/150 would have been more likely - and why the heck didn´t they choose 1/144 in the first place? <_<

Guess they did it like Revell in the good(?) old days - they take a box size and the kit is made to fit!