X-men 3 Pics: Beast And Angel Revealed

bsu legato

i dont think bullets are lead anymore. most of them are mettal iirc.

i am ALL about rogue touching herself, that could be a very intresting movie. her mutant powers might not work, but i'm sure SOMETHING would happen

Can't remember that Magneto bullet scene. But most bullets are metal jackets over lead cores.

405520[/snapback]

True but most bullets are copper jackets over lead cores... copper is non-magnetic. Some very rare iterations of ammunition are steel alloy jacketed, but nothing common or in use by any police departments or military units to my knowledge.

JsARCLIGHT: it's true that copper is not "magnetic", but that doesn't stop magneto.

dispite his name, his powers apparently are "to create magnetic fields AND control metals"

now, in reality, everything is "magnetic" to some degree, what with gravity fields and such. but his main power seems to be a control over metals, independent of magnetics. so i think he'd be able to control copper.

in anycase he tore up the statue of liberty, which is mostly copper.

My guess is that the cure is permanent. I took away from the end that Magneto's power level was so high (4.5ish? under the goofy rating system) that even four doses weren't enough to wipe him out completely. I guess it comes down to if Anna Paquin signs up for sequels/spinoffs.

My guess is that the cure is permanent.  I took away from the end that Magneto's power level was so high (4.5ish? under the goofy rating system) that even four doses weren't enough to wipe him out completely.  I guess it comes down to if Anna Paquin signs up for sequels/spinoffs.

405575[/snapback]

That wasn't what i got at all. i mean the perception is that he's been stripped of his powers completely, he's living as a human, very bummed.

I get nothing from that scene other than that his powers are returning.

heh.. whats funny is that now that i think about it, Magneto is the most simpathetic character in the movie to me now.

His past is that of a truly persecuted person, he knows what this hate and fear can do, and he seems to genuinly want to help his people. He's like the only character that is passionate about something outside of his own wants and desires. I feel bad for him.

Probably nothing. I guess. Sicne the cure did come from him. It's a bit like asking what would happen if Rogue touched herself. Skin to skin contact.

405516[/snapback]

What would happen in that case is... pleasure... lots of pleasure...

;)

405584[/snapback]

Indeed........... :p

I have to say that I thought X3 was a good movie. Definitely the weakest of the three, but not bad by a longshot. Kelsey Grammer was perfect as the beast. Storm's role was beefed up just enough. Cyclops... who cares, he hasn't been a factor in the whole series, and Marsden is pretty much a choad. This movie shows Wolverine growing into his place with the X-men. Considering there is a Wolverine movie coming out they could have laid off of him a little bit but the character is still awesome. Magneto changes, becomes more evil and aggressive much as he has in the comics. Kitty Pryde was fantastic. Iceman completely icing up was awesome, but too quick. Juggernaut was great and I can accept the changes to him for the movies sake. Using the fastball special was great!

Some beefs that I don't think were really that bad. Xavier's attitude is different from moment to moment(This was the worst goof.) Angel's breakout pose (looked ultra-gay.) Whether he or anyone else is homosexual is not the point, I just don't have another way of describing that pose! :blink: The attempted love-triangle between Iceman/Rogue/Kitty Pryde was a waste. We needed more Colossus. A couple of the aerial fight moves looked pretty bad. Pyro, I just have never liked him. :p

I have to agree with most people's statements that it was too rushed, but I will go even further by saying that since the end of X2 I had hoped that they would leave Jean/Phoenix out of this movie completely or just bring her back dramatically at the very end. HollyWood has no patience even at the cost of plotlines and the chance of making two better movies instead of one OK movie.

They could have played the mutant cure angle in this movie and made a great story while giving hints that something was up with Jean/Phoenix. That she was going to come back changed. Then they would have had a great next movie available by exploring the Phoenix story and maybe even going into space and leaving Magneto out for once.

Someone above mentioned that the new Spiderman movie would have four villains. This worries me greatly. Trying to cram too many villains into a single movie is precisely what put the Batman movies into the crapper. :angry: Starting with combining the Riddler and Two-Face in one movie and then a bad script and horrible directing nailed the coffin shut with "Batman & Robin"

Starting over with "Batman Begins" was the only way of recovering and I'm surprised the studio pulled it off. Now I'm afraid Spiderman will start to see the same decline. You would think the movie studios would want to make more good movies and kee the franchise rolling than to sabotage themselves by cramming too much into one film and ruining the chances for later success.

jardan yeah, good points.

i would have started X3 off by plunging them straight into war.

Beef up the fight between Xavier and Magneto. The prof. can't read or control Magneto but he could do things like in the first movie with Sabertooth. Be creative.

As much as i disliked Cyclops he should have gotten one good fight in the trillogy. He could have gone out heroicly, or tradgicly or something. not confusingly.

Magnetos army should have been well outfitted, amasing at magnetos secret base from the first film (what ever happend to that base?) he looks like an idiot in militistic dictator garb leading a bunch of angsty mutants dressed in san fran trends.

after two acts of all out war, magneto should have been brought down at the begining of act three, only to reveal the main antagonist of the next movie (pheonix or what ever, if they wanted the war to continue, maybe introduce the sentinel's after the incapacitating of Magneto)

after a small victory and a taste of things to come, roll credits and you're all set up.

Someone above mentioned that the new Spiderman movie would have four villains. This worries me greatly. Trying to cram too many villains into a single movie is precisely what put the Batman movies into the crapper. :angry: Starting with combining the Riddler and Two-Face in one movie and then a bad script and horrible directing nailed the coffin shut with "Batman & Robin"

Starting over with "Batman Begins" was the only way of recovering and I'm surprised the studio pulled it off. Now I'm afraid Spiderman will start to see the same decline. You would think the movie studios would want to make more good movies and kee the franchise rolling than to sabotage themselves by cramming too much into one film and ruining the chances for later success.

405608[/snapback]

For Spiderman 3, (if you've read the Spiderman 3 thread), the chances that we will see all 4 villians equally is in debate. We are more likely to see 2 villians more than the others. Which 2, remains to be seen.

For X-men, having lots of villians, does work in a sense. Because you have a good-guy team, you need to counter them with a group of villians.

The reason behind X3's cramming is because this is the last movie that these particular actors are signed up for. After X3, all contracts with all actors have to be renegotiated. So they could not use this group anymore so why not go out with a bang. Unfortunately, they threw out a little too much bang in this movie...

Edited by azrael

Magneto changes, becomes more evil and aggressive much as he has in the comics.
But he becomes comically, nonsensically evil. He might as well spent the movie carrying a basket of kittens, pulling them out one by one to crush whenever he needed to emphasize how evil he was.
Some beefs that I don't think were really that bad. Xavier's attitude is different from moment to moment(This was the worst goof.)

Not that bad? It was like he was PMSing throughout the entire movie. He'd go from being typical, serene and in control Professor X, to, "B***H! I do what I want!" Not only that, but major parts of the plot hinged entirely on Xavier's being completely out of character. This is the very model of bad writing.

sry dude, wolverine makes the xmen intresting. yes they are a diverse and sort of engaging group w/o him, but he gives them edge.

with out wolverine the xmen are no better than the fantastic four.

How about bringing in Ryu, Ken and Guile for X4?

You know, Marvel vs Capcom?

405663[/snapback]

Magneto, Storm, and Sentinel will kick their butts, you know it!

Or Magneto, Storm, and Iron Man. Or Magneto, storm, and Cable. In MvC2 those three were really popular teams, and damn my best friend owned using those teams. lol He spent like $1 at AX to play on a MvC2 machine, and racked up 60 or so straight victories (then he gave up the machine because no one could beat him and he got bored). I also watched him play against some of the guys that would play in the big MvC2 tournaments, crazy stuff.

The scene between Iceman and Pyro was just too 'streetfighterish' for an X-Men movie.

BTW, did the comics ever explain why Xavier's powers have to go thru the top/sides/back of a target's head? I mean, even with that helmet on, Magneto's front face and chin and neck was exposed. Couldn't whatever mutantbabble telepath wave Xavier was using just go into his brain thru the front?

All Wolverine all the time makes the X-men boring. Wolverine is a drifter, comes in and out of stories as needed. To have him become basically the defacto leader of the X-men....bullshit. Plus he talks too much.

But then again I suppose they had no choice since they neutered all the main characters to give Halle and Hughes more screentime.

The scene between Iceman and Pyro was just too 'streetfighterish' for an X-Men movie.

BTW, did the comics ever explain why Xavier's powers have to go thru the top/sides/back of a target's head? I mean, even with that helmet on, Magneto's front face and chin and neck was exposed. Couldn't whatever mutantbabble telepath wave Xavier was using just go into his brain thru the front?

405770[/snapback]

this is total retcon but i'd assume that magneto knowing magnetic fields and stuff designed the helmet out of some kind of metal that created a field around his head to block charles. thus the physical shape of the helmet doesn't matter, its the field it creates that does the work.

unfortunately that means it's shape probably isn't as important as it's function, making magneto quite the dorky purple helmeted warrior indeed!

this is total retcon but i'd assume that magneto knowing magnetic fields and stuff designed the helmet out of some kind of metal that created a field around his head to block charles.  thus the physical shape of the helmet doesn't matter, its the field it creates that does the work.

unfortunately that means it's shape probably isn't as important as it's function, making magneto quite the dorky purple helmeted warrior indeed!

405780[/snapback]

His helmet is suppose to be made of the same materials as Cerebro and from that, keeps him safe from Xaiver.

I don't really see how the X-Men movies are a 'saga' or a single story arch. Other than some basic continuity, they're really quite episodic. Heck, the third movie doesn't even retain any semblance of character continuity, as I've griped about all through this thread.

I don't really see how the X-Men movies are a 'saga' or a single story arch. Other than some basic continuity, they're really quite episodic. Heck, the third movie doesn't even retain any semblance of character continuity, as I've griped about all through this thread.

405796[/snapback]

Xavier has always been a near-sighted loose cannon with no insight into what you do and don't say to someone. gawd.

you goto be stupid to believe that after number 3 is going to gross anywhere between 200-250m if not more, they wouldn't go ahead with a 4th one.

Marvel and Sony do not hate money.

For all the complaints about wolvy hogging the movie, realise that he is one of the main characters in the x-men everyone likes.

In the cartoon when it was believed morph died I sympathised poo loads more for wolverines courage (wanting to go back for his friends) than cyclop's duty to follow orders and complete a mission. The impression I get is that cyclops is the goody-goody teacher's pet who everyone hated at school when he would dob their classmates in, while wolveringe is grounded in reality and will face any fight despite danger to himself. Cyclops methods of course being the more practical, but still being less likable traits in a "hero".

The one weakness of wolverine is he hates teamwork and like all the "cool" super heroes/heroes like batman and spiderman, he is a loner. All comic geeks love the loner characters more than the boy scout types. Even if cyclops is cool I can say he is less marketable to comic fans who go for the "clint eastwood" tough guy as thier model. What makes the loner "cool" is that they are survivors who think independantly of the group and can sometimes come in handy when the leader of the group is a hypocrite. (ie even in the cartoon wolverine was proven right when xavier tried a soft apraoch at trying to tame sabretooth, knowing absolutely nothing of SB past actions and being wrapped up in so much idealism he ignored the safety to the others for his dreams)

Xavier is a dreamer living in a fantasy, whereas Wolverine is the common sense one when it comes to sniffing other people's bullshit (when the vilains take advantage of Xaviers softness) or using gut instinct. When they others accuse wolverine of being too agressive they automatically dismiss it as him just liking violence and overlook that he is the more perceptive of the group.

I can agree that I don't think wolverine should be leader, but he should be the focus because that is who most people see in a hero. (there is more to it than super powers, but things like giving up ideals to protect and help a friend, seeing through other's deceptiveness and calling them on it, not mindlessly agreeing with orders given above just for brownie points, choosing to fight one on one instead of needing help from others - this is a thing all boys go through to prove themselves at some stage in thier life -, and niping a problem in the bud before it has a chance to gets worse and the villain can get away on an easy punishment while laughing that the leader is a softy and won't really do anything to stop them the next time, etc)

Those were the qualities that I liked about wolverine in the cartoon. Unlike the other members on the team, (who are just going through the motions and taking orders) it was always wolverine do the "common sense thing" and going after the bad guys the old fashioned way by hunting them down and beating the poo out of them. (if he can) Xavier's main weakness is that just because he is the founder of the school and he is nice, that niceness can sometimes be taken advantage of and endanger people and it was shown he was not "always right" and his judgement was often off because he was blinded by ideals and poo.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I can agree that I don't think wolverine should be leader, but he should be the focus because that is who most people see in a hero.

Those were the qualities that I liked about wolverine in the cartoon. Unlike the other members on the team, (who are just going through the motions and taking orders) it was always wolverine do the "common sense thing" and going after the bad guys the old fashioned way by hunting them down and beating the poo out of them. (if he can)

405952[/snapback]

I think that's an extremely narrow definition of what makes a "hero", or at least a good one, and Wolverine's whole does-not-play-well-with-others, Clint Eastwood persona is in some ways closer to the anti-hero that's been made popular in the last few decades. I think a hero is better defined as one who's committed to the well being of others, even if it requires his own sacrifice, and in that vein, Cyclops and Xavier are just as much heroes as Wolverine and Spiderman. Sometimes, that sacrifice includes being "cool". Not to mention that the biggest boyscout of them all, Superman, is as much of a hero as any other that comes to mind.

Plus it's sort of a one sided look at the members of the X-Men. Without Cyclops' leadership and discipline and Xavier vision, Wolverine would just be a mostly pissed off regenerating furball of claws. And weasel-men don't change the world, at least, not alone.

As far as "real life" goes, many of our real life heroes are in fact compassionate idealists, leaders, teammates, and visionaries, committed fully to the mission, and the solitary no-nonsense badasses we think we love are few and far between. The greatest heroes of course know when it's time to be the former and when it's time to be the latter.