Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

areaseven

Best Gaming Platform of All-Time  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

• Microsoft XBOX
    • Nintendo Entertainment System (Family Computer)
    • Nintendo Super NES (Super Famicom)
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Sega Genesis (MegaDrive)
    • Sega Saturn
    • SNK Neo-Geo
    • Sony PlayStation/PlayStation 2
    • Other (Please Specify)

I totally remember how much fun I had with my SNES.

I also remember how I have owned every single incarnation of the Gameboy, but I didn't get any good games until the GameBoy Advanced came out. .... go figure.

Right now I have tons of fun with my GameCube, but not as much as my SNES. My circle of friends tells stories about their SNES and the awesomeness.

You'll be saying the same thing about the PS2 in 10 years, I guarantee it. Very few games stand the test of time. This is why I said this poll won't work. You just can't remember the "amount of fun" you had with your SNES, NES, or Genesis that long ago. You CAN remember how much fun you just had with a PS2 game 6 weeks ago.

I won't be saying it about the GameCube or anything else besides the SNES. That was, in my opinion, the golden age. Games have obviously come a long way since then... but only really in certain areas.

You'll be saying the same thing about the PS2 in 10 years, I guarantee it. Very few games stand the test of time. This is why I said this poll won't work. You just can't remember the "amount of fun" you had with your SNES, NES, or Genesis that long ago. You CAN remember how much fun you just had with a PS2 game 6 weeks ago.

I won't be saying it about the GameCube or anything else besides the SNES. That was, in my opinion, the golden age. Games have obviously come a long way since then... but only really in certain areas.

Yes... specially GTA.... with its "one on one action". <_<

Feel free to let the beating of Kanedas Bike begin - I voted GameCube, because:

(1) the system is too damn good to not have any votes at this point and

(2) as much as I too would've liked to vote SNES (that was the system when I did 80 % of all my gaming as a pup) I had to vote for Best Gaming Platform, and pound for pound the GameCube whoops on all the older systems (for obvious reasons like newer tech. and all that jazz) -AND- the PS 2 and X-Box which are both highly over-rated.

Let me also qualify my reply by stating very clearly that I am in no way a 'Hard Core Gamer' nore do I spend more than 1 hr per week (yes week) in front of my X-Box, GameCube, PS 2, or DreamCast, combined.

The anti-gamer.

-b.

Seeing as I already voted for my beloved PC I feel somewhat two faced by saying this, but:

I grew up in the seventies... when the Atari came out everyone thought it was so cool. I had one, everyone had one... but we never played them because it sucked. It sucked big time. It sucked so much ass you'd think it was a butt vaccuum. We where all hooked on coin-op uprights. Those uprights like Galaga, Q-bert, Ms. Pac Man... you name it... their graphics (if you can call them that today) and sound where ten times better than the home systems and we loved them. As time marched on we all got into high school... and that is when that infernal NES 8 bit came out. It spread like wildfire and everyone had one. I remember trading carts with a guy in my weights class in the locker room all senior year. I held onto that guy through college as I had no cash to buy the new SNES when it came out...

After that the next system I bought was a PS1... the day they came out, too.

So I guess then the original NES was my SNES.

Wow. No love for the Saturn? It did have the Macross DYRL game before Bandai ported it to the PS One.

Oh, yes. I really liked the intro. I remember seeing the game at a comic con and my response is "a remake of Macross"?

The only Saturn games I liked were the Sakura Wars RPG games, even though I never got to play them. The remakes and sequels for the Dreamcast were also just as good.

Had Sega released the Sakura Wars games in English, it would have extended the lifespan of the Saturn or the Dreamcast. <_<

That why I hate the pathway video-games are taking now a days.... I want a system that plays games, not a system that doubles as a microwave oven, swiss army knife, telephone, airplane and car. <_<

This reminds me of the time when the Sega Game Gear and the NEC TurboXpress handhelds that doubles as miniature TVs by plugging in a TV tuner add-on.

Or the time Nintendo added the Game Boy Camera/Printer add-on for the Game Boy, making it also a portable digital camera/printer.

I have to admit to owning a Saturn. It was not my favorite console but Macross DYRL is IMHO the only good Macross game ever made... that and I had another game that required the memory pack called Dragon Wars, Dragon World... Dragon... something... it was like Advance Wars in that you fought little armies of critters led by generals against each other on a big map. I liked it, it was addictive... but aside from those two games my saturn sat untouched until the day I sold it.

For me, all I want my consoles to do is just play games. Get back to the basics of gaming. And PS2 isn't that complex, it's backwards compatible but it's not able to save older game files. That's wack, what's the fun of playing Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4, 5, and 6 if you can't save afterwards? <_

I grew up in the seventies... when the Atari came out everyone thought it was so cool. I had one, everyone had one... but we never played them because it sucked. It sucked big time. It sucked so much ass you'd think it was a butt vaccuum. We where all hooked on coin-op uprights. Those uprights like Galaga, Q-bert, Ms. Pac Man... you name it... their graphics (if you can call them that today) and sound where ten times better than the home systems and we loved them.

Ditto. I remember grewing up like that when I spent more time in the arcades than a friend's place because the Atari home consoles were junk machines.

As time marched on we all got into high school... and that is when that infernal NES 8 bit came out. It spread like wildfire and everyone had one.

Definately. Competitors like Nintendo and Sega revolutionized gaming consoles and gave game programmers to get out of the slump by making games that are great to play.

Atari never got to recover from being kicked in the nuts back in 1985. I can remember Atari wasting their time on lawsuits against Nintendo, claiming that the Big N was monopolizing the market but judges threw out the case because the gaming market was open, not monopolitistic. That, and Atari's bad mistakes that led them into self-oblivion.

For me, all I want my consoles to do is just play games. Get back to the basics of gaming. And PS2 isn't that complex, it's backwards compatible but it's not able to save older game files. That's wack, what's the fun of playing Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4, 5, and 6 if you can't save afterwards? <_<

If you insert an older PS1 memory card the games will save. It's in the manual.

While I dearly love the consoles of today, the Genesis/SNES era was really the most fun for me in terms of me so anxious to get a game. There was just something about that time, maybe because games were not mainstream yet. I remember the 1st time I played Sonic on the Genesis seeing the bonus level, seeing him underwater getting an air bubble, and his "attitude" and it was one of the most memorable moments of my life.

I remember the 1st time I heard Actraiser's music on my SNES and I thought to myself, this is incredible. There were dozens of moments like that in the 16 bit era...seeing the incredible animation in Flashback, the "fire" effect in Thunderforce III, the pure fun of Mario Kart (The SNES version is STILL the most fun), playing SF2 Turbo @ home with the old milkbone SNES controller, the entire Lunar game was memorable on my Sega CD, seeing Gunstar Heroes the first time, PLAYING Gunstar Heroes the first time, Snatcher on Sega CD with the Justifier, Herzog Zwei, Streets of Rage 2's Grand Upper through a whole level, the list could go on and on.

There are memories like this on the newer consoles but it's not the same. We are at the point where graphics are realistic enough that strides are not mindblowing like it was from the 8-16 bit and 16-32 bit era. Gameplay seems more like a lost art nowadays, though there are still a few companies out there that remember.

Don't really play console games much anymore (mostly pc now).

But from memory, the systems I loved the most growing up was the 8bit Family Computer / Nes and the home cartridge NEO GEO. FC/Nes had a large library of games with plenty of play value at a reasonable price. The NEO was raw arcade power. Playing it in my own living room left me breathless as a kid. =]

I would give honorable mention to Vectrex, Super Famicom/SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis/CD, PC-Engine/CD/Duo/Express, Amiga computers (maybe not a console but oh well, it ruled), SEGA Saturn, Gameboy, SEGA Nomad, Dreamcast and as much as I hate to admit it... PS1&2. Although the playstation family has an utter grip of crap games, it has enough good titles to make it's mark in history.

The Playstation was in the right place at the right time. Then Sony did something that was surprising. They listened. They brought over RPG's. They listened to gamers...not perfectly, but they did so better than Tom did with the Saturn at the time.

I miss my Neo cart system. :(

I have to go with my 2d best friend. The Neo-Geo. I still play my Neo more than most of my Next gen stuff. I can play Metal Slug till the cows come home and have VS batlles in KOF98,Samurai Shodown II,and Garou all night with my friends.

I voted for NeoGeo too. Nothing beats having an arcade-perfect experience in the comfort of your own home. Back then, only the truly hardcore gamer owned a cart-based NeoGeo. Paying hundreds of dollars for a Samurai Shodown cart was worth every penny when you start touring arcades looking for victims. :lol:

I have to admit to owning a Saturn. It was not my favorite console but Macross DYRL is IMHO the only good Macross game ever made... that and I had another game that required the memory pack called Dragon Wars, Dragon World... Dragon... something... it was like Advance Wars in that you fought little armies of critters led by generals against each other on a big map. I liked it, it was addictive... but aside from those two games my saturn sat untouched until the day I sold it.

Are you talking about Dragon Force?

Are you talking about Dragon Force?

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh... that's it.

That game was addictive.

It's a good game and why I still have it and my Saturn. Of my Saturn library I only really thoroughly enjoyed most titles by Working Designs and the Panzer Dragoon games. Radiant Silvergun is quite overrated for the price people pay for it these days.

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia.  I've played both consoles recently, and there are very few games on the NES that are still fun.  The SNES does a little bit better, except so many of it's best games have already been ported to the GBA.  If you picked SNES, then, you might as well have picked GBA, because at least the GBA also has Megaman Zero and Castlevania.

HA! Speak for yourself, Jr. :p

Actually, I remember very well what I enjoyed during my entire 22 year gaming history. Including a strange weekend in 1989 with my NES when my younger sister (who turned 21 this Sat) had a tough time with SMB 2. I think you are just clouded by new graphics and limited memory.

Jr? You only wish.

I'm not saying the people that picked the NES or the SNES don't remember that it was fun. Back in the day, it was fun. Hell, I remember having a blast playing a Galaga knock off back on the Odyssey. I remember loving the NES, and I remember loving the SNES. In fact, I remember not wanting a PlayStation for two years after its release because I was having so much fun with the SNES.

What I am saying is that while those games were great in their time, they're just not that fun anymore. I remember games like Super Contra being fun back in the day, but I recently dusted off my old consoles and tried playing some of those games again. After a few minutes, I was bored. Hell, I can't even play GoldenEye or Perfect Dark anymore, because they look and feel old and dated compared to more recent shooters like Halo. And I'm willing to bet that, 10 years from now, I'll remember games like Onimusha or Halo or Super Smash Bros Melee very fondly, but if I dust off their respective consoles and fire the games up I'll get bored with them and rank whatever consoles are current as better.

What I am saying is that while those games were great in their time, they're just not that fun anymore. I remember games like Super Contra being fun back in the day, but I recently dusted off my old consoles and tried playing some of those games again. After a few minutes, I was bored. Hell, I can't even play GoldenEye or Perfect Dark anymore, because they look and feel old and dated compared to more recent shooters like Halo. And I'm willing to bet that, 10 years from now, I'll remember games like Onimusha or Halo or Super Smash Bros Melee very fondly, but if I dust off their respective consoles and fire the games up I'll get bored with them and rank whatever consoles are current as better.

Then... as a gamer... theres something terribly wrong with you. I might not be that old, and only been around since the NES... but the SNES games are still a blast to play and much more fun then most PS2 and Xbox games.

Jr? You only wish.

I'm not saying the people that picked the NES or the SNES don't remember that it was fun. Back in the day, it was fun. Hell, I remember having a blast playing a Galaga knock off back on the Odyssey. I remember loving the NES, and I remember loving the SNES. In fact, I remember not wanting a PlayStation for two years after its release because I was having so much fun with the SNES.

I was only joking about the Jr crack. Notice it's what some seem to prefer to use as put downs where games are concerned. I thought the smiley would help get my point across. I guess not. Lighten up. <_<

How can you say they are just not fun anymore? SOme of those games have higher replay values and more fun factor than many games coming out today. I have just recently replayed Luifa 2, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong country 1 and 2 (even having remembered how much I hated the Web Woods level), Mega Man X2, and a bunch of others. I even popped in Ninja Gaiden, Super C and Double Dragon 2 which are far more difficult than most games these days (any of the NG and Contra games and the gears levels in DD). I still play Super Mario Bros 3 and even Duck Hunt (yes silly little Duck Hunt) because they are still FUN for me to play. My NES is still alive and kicking. I had actually boxe dit under my bed from 1996 to 99 after I beat Mega Man 6. I couldn't believe how much I missed playing all those old games for the sheer fun after many of the PSX and N64 games had very little replay value. I dusted off the NES and hooke dit back up. Have been replaying old great games ever since!

You do speak only for yourself when you say they feel old and outdated. Graphics get out dated but never GREAT gameplay and just being FUN!

Then... as a gamer... theres something terribly wrong with you. I might not be that old, and only been around since the NES... but the SNES games are still a blast to play and much more fun then most PS2 and Xbox games.

Well, either that, or as a gamer and tech nut, I just crave the next new thing.

Most likely. I guess your taste for games might have been defiled by your other knowledges. Thats the reason why I tried my best to know as little as possible... tech wise. :p

Most likely. I guess your taste for games might have been defiled by your other knowledges. Thats the reason why I tried my best to know as little as possible... tech wise. :p

I know some tech wise, and yet those old skool games hold a place for me that'll never be replaced by the modern games. The modern games are cool... but they're running out of steam.

I just love those old games... Going to the local Pizza Hut and playing Aero Fighters or playing Sonic games... etc...

Vostok 7

i doubt i'll ever have as much fun playing video games as when i played:

Legend of Zelda Link to the Past

Super Metroid

Final Fantasy 3 (US)

original F-Zero

No games since those have ever had that "magic" that those had for me. i think maybe it is the industrys lack of limitations. dunno, but those games are by far the most fun i've had in gaming.

In other words, you ARE clouded by the graphics!

I've never ever ever considered putting away my SNES and I never will. I'll be 80 years old and still playing old games like Super Metroid when my grand kids will be telling me how lame the graphics are when they are teleported into the TV screen or whatever new technology will allow by then.