1. 1. Worst Gaming Platform Ever Made

• Atari 2600
    • Atari Jaguar
    • Nintendo Virtual Boy
    • Sega 32X
    • Sega CD
    • SNK Neo-Geo CD
    • Other (Please Specify)

What was the worst gaming platform ever made?

Atari 2600

Okay, it wasn't that bad, especially since it was sold from the mid-1970s to the mid 1980s. But it was marred by a whole bunch of horrible games like Superman and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. The latter title led to the great videogame crash of 1983, when console sales plummeted and tons of E.T. cartridges ended up underneath a New Mexico landfill.

Atari Jaguar

On the Jaguar's initial release, Atari's slogan was "Do the Math." Go figure - while the Jaguar claimed to have 64-bit graphics, it actually had two 32-bit chips (or was it eight 8-bit chips?) inside. The only good games coming out of it were Tempest and an pre-PC version of Aliens vs. Predator; every other game just plain sucked. The Jaguar eventually led to Atari's bankruptcy.

Nintendo Virtual Boy

Every game manufacturer has made a mistake or two in their life. Nintendo really f'd up big-time with this $280 flop. Released in the mid-1990s, the Virtual Boy was merely an oversized, overpriced Game & Watch that had only two colors - red and black - that were a severe eyesore to anyone who used it. Less than a year after it hit stores, the Virtual Boy was canned and every toy store got rid of their units at under $20 each. Games and accessories that sold for $40 went for under $10.

Sega 32X

This was supposedly Sega's answer to turning the aging 16-bit Genesis/MegaDrive into a 32-bit system. While the console's version of DOOM was good, everything else sucked. The upgrade died less than a year after its release due to developers moving to more advances systems.

SEGA CD

Unlike the 32X, this add-on to the Genesis/MegaDrive actually had potential to compete with similar products like the 3DO. The release of the system was just marred by horrible games like Night Trap, Sewer Shark and a series of "Make My Music Video" CDs. It's too bad the Sega CD sold poorly, as it actually had some good games like Snatcher by Hideo Kojima (creator of Metal Gear Solid).

SNK Neo-Geo CD

As a fan of old-school SNK games, I was extremely disappointed with this console. The colors looked completely washed-out and because of its single-speed drive, it took longer to load a game than to finish it.

You forgot the N64 in your list. It was a really worthless system... specially because someone as good as Nintendo made it. <_<

Yeah, perhaps I forgot to list that one, but at least it doesn't kill your eyesight like the Virtual Boy does.

Almost though... the excesivly blurry graphics were enough to get my eye sight blurry after a while. <_<

And Star Fox 64 actually hurt my eyes. :blink:

Edited by Abombz!!

Atari 2600 kicked ass, mine still works. But yeah, you forgot N64, the worst console eva, but GameCube is pretty Close.

Also I like the 32X, it had the best version of Mortal Kombat 2, Star Wars: Arcade was pretty sweet, Virtua FIghter kicked butt, the SPiderman Game wasn't all that bad, plus some other games.

Edited by Ladic

The virtual boy was one of the biggest flops/dumbest idea in the industry so far. They even touted it as portable!!! Hah!! POC. Gets my vote.

The Phillips CD-i was another useless machine.

The new Nokia cell phone game handheld looks to follow the same path. $300 for a handheld, and you have to take the back cover and battery out to swap the cartridges. Who is going to trust their kids with that one?

The Neo-Geo CD might have done decent if they gave it enough memeory and decent CD-ROM drive. It was a 1X wasn't it? It's load time were no where close to being acceptable. The PS1 kicked its butt. I'd say that's my second choice for worst system.

On a lighter note, the Jagaur's Aliens vs. Predator tv ad was sweet. Tap-tap. "What is it mom?" :p

N64 was not worthless!! At least I think so because I worked my ass off in school to get one and was pleased by great titles like Star Fox 64, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, Golden Eye, The World is Not Enough, Diddy Kong Racing and a couple of others! But Virtual Boy was crap! I remember going to Best Buy with my mom and after playing it my mom asked me why my eyes were red!

The systems I never liked were virtual boy, 3DO, and jaguar. Horrid systems. Just plain horrid. I only say this now because I'm used too all the newer stuff. Back then when these systems first came out, everybody was talking about them and making a bid deal out of them saying that these systems were going to be the best systems yet. Man, these systems get overhyped for nothing. Ugh, I'm glad I collect macross and transformers stuff, it gives me a reason to not be the first person to have the newest system on the block. I always wait till a better version of something comes out. Like with PS2, I'm glad I waited till last year to buy it cause the first run of these can't even play the newer games. That sucks! Same thing is going to happen when PS3 comes out, I'm going to patiently wait! :p:D:lol:

TurboGraphix 16 or Virtual Boy would have been my picks, but since only Virtual Boy was a choice that's what I voted on.

There really wasn't anything wrong with the N64, just it's controller design sucked and a lot of it's games weren't very good.

I ended up going with the Virtual Boy. That thing gave me a frickin' headache! :p

The Atari Jaguar would be my next choice. The Tremmel family, who owned Atari during the 80's and 90's, were pretty much the Harmony Gold of video gaming.

On the other hand, I think it's very unfair to have the Atari 2600 on this list. When the 2600 was my primary game system between 82 and 88, I had many hours of fun with that system.

The Turbo Graphix sucked only because it had almost no US software support, and the vast majority of the good japanese games were never brought over. Its japanese equivelant, the PC Engine, kicked much ass. It had some awesome games, especially for its CD system.

Plus it had some of the best console designs ever. The original PC Engine was SO much cooler than the TG16. It was like 1/3 the size! To this day, I don't know why they had to make the system BIGGER for its US release...

My pick would have to be the Virtual Boy also. It was obviously a flop in every respect.

The Sega CD sucked, partly because it didn't improve the Genesis's hardware limitations. So all of a sudden you have 650 megs of storage space, but you've still got a slow Z80 processor and a palette of a whopping 64 colors (if my memory serves me correctly). Plus the software support sucked. Everyone was too caught up with full motion video (even though it looked like ass).

The 32x was a bad idea too. They were just trying to get thier system on par with the SNES, in an attempt to tide gamers over til the Saturn came out. And like the rest, the software spport killed it.

As a fairly long time video game enthusiast (I grew up watching my Dad and older brother play Pac-Man and Yar's Revenge on da Atari 2600) I decided to go with the Nintendo Virtual Boy.

At least the other systems you listed had decent titles. From what I remember the Virtual Boy NEVER made it off the ground. :(

The Tremmel family, who owned Atari during the 80's and 90's, were pretty much the Harmony Gold of video gaming.

Ditto. Back then, both Atari and Commodore were thinking alike and both of them made a lot of bad decisions that lead to their demise. At their peak, they used to have more money than Microsoft.

From an article, I found four basic points from that summed up the demise of both companies:

1. Negativity doesn't sell. Always extol the virtues of your product first.

2. Never abandon your customers. Atari always followed the apparent money -- to the detriment of its customers. It abandoned products suddenly, after promising to support them, and dropped core customers when it became clear that effort would have to be expended to maintain a product's success. It was always looking for the "easy sell" -- a machine that could be assembled cheaply, out of generic parts, with little or no value added, and sold to a group of users always willing to shell out money to help "save the company!" As you can tell, most enthusiasts tired of the game after the second or third round.

3. Cheap doesn't sell. This was the title of a Forbes article on Atari in 1993, which blasted the firm's management for refusing to spend even a few million dollars on marketing.

4. Failure to communicate your plans with key resellers, developers, and users.

I can remember the Atari ST series computers and the Commodore Amiga were ahead of its time, since the computers use the Motorola 68k series CPUs, the ones found on the Mac. However, they did a lot of wrong before either can tap its full potential and disappeared from the market once both filed for bankruptcy.

The 32x was a bad idea too. They were just trying to get thier system on par with the SNES, in an attempt to tide gamers over til the Saturn came out. And like the rest, the software spport killed it.

Not only that, it was totally unneccessary to make the 32x in the first place, since the Saturn can do the same and then some.

The Virtual Boy is the worst. I remeber almost passing out after trying it at Toys R Us lol

Sega's 32X and Sega CD were really bad. I owned a Sega CD. ugh Tons of bad FMV games.

Before Atari, IIRC there was Odyessey that was bad.

Atari 2600 for its time was good until Intellivision and Colecovison came out.

I some how doubt that.

Yeah, but that was pre-Windows/M$ Office.

M$ didn't overtake the competition until they released Windows and MS Office programs. Coupled with PC cloners, it left the competition in the dust.

The 32x was a bad idea too.  They were just trying to get thier system on par with the SNES, in an attempt to tide gamers over til the Saturn came out.  And like the rest, the software spport killed it.

Not only that, it was totally unneccessary to make the 32x in the first place, since the Saturn can do the same and then some.

One of Segas many bad decisions.... competing with itself.

Oh.. and A7... you fogot the Atari Lynx.... now that was one heck of a craptastic paltform... almost as bad as the Game Gear. :angry:

Oh yeah!! The CD-i was by far the worst and most useless console ever concieved by man. :angry:

What I can't forget about it was that it was once a Nintendo/Philips collaberation as a stopgap until Nintendo tries to finish its (then cancelled) CD add-on. This was a result of the decision when Nintendo breaks its collaberation with Sony for a CD-based system, which became the Sony Playstation.

Did anyone remember (or forget) the Legend of Zelda games that was made for the CD-i?

And I find the infomercials for this electronic monstrosity the most annoying way to promote it. :angry:

Oh yeah!! The CD-i was by far the worst and most useless console ever concieved by man. :angry:

What I can't forget about it was that it was once a Nintendo/Philips collaberation as a stopgap until Nintendo tries to finish its (then cancelled) CD add-on. This was a result of the decision when Nintendo breaks its collaberation with Sony for a CD-based system, which became the Sony Playstation.

Did anyone remember (or forget) the Legend of Zelda games that was made for the CD-i?

And I find the infomercials for this electronic monstrosity the most annoying way to promote it. :angry:

Gah!! Don't remind of me of those blasphemies that were the CD-i Zelda games!! :angry:

Virtual Boy, worst system ever!

I wish I can forget the eyesore effects after playing it, plus giving me a headache as well that I have to take an aspirin. :blink:

Nintendo created this in response to the cancelled virtual headset add-ons made by the competition, so they went ahead to be the first to do it.

Frankly, virtual headseat gaming isn't that great anyway, IMO. Like 3-D glasses, the technology today still hasn't fixed its shortcomings.

Ahh, the Virtual Boy. That thing was called the eye killer by the group of friends I hung out with. You'd go blind playing it for more than 30 mins. I think at one point in time an optometrist was haning out next to the display stand so you could see how bad your eyes where afterwards. j/k The games on that thing were a pain to play.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol: Yeah, I feel sorry for whoever needed glasses after playing that for a long time. The thing is that I think after looking at only two colors for quite a while and then exposing your eyes to a harsh rainbow afterwards takes its toll on your peepers too. :unsure: