Visual Basic Error when coming to MW?

Ok, I'm not too computer literate, so here's my question:

Everytime I come to visit MW's Forum site, I get the following Visual Basic Error Window:

untitled1qc.jpg

I've searched my computer, that directory and file does not exist.

I'm all patched up with latest security fixes, etc.

running Win XP Home SP2.

no viruses found,

spysweeper, adaware, spybot, xoftspy, microsoft antispy, yahoo antispy, cwsshredder, all report clean.

How do I update my Visual Basic Runtime Library?

thanks.

sorry if wrong forum, figured it was only happening on MW, so I'll ask here.

Google can't find the .exe

or the name of that directory

sounds like you got yourself a visitor

340713[/snapback]

that's what i was afraid of.

i'm trying to figure out how to delete all my visual basic runtime libraries and reinstall all of them.

firewall doesn't show any problems, router not showing any problems.

there is NO TRAFFIC at all, I can go to any other website and do everything, and it only shows up when I come here, and only after I purge all my temp files and cookies.

if i didn't clean out the cookies/temp files, and come back here, it doesn't pop up.

i'll see if there's a firefox update or something.

using i.e. now and it sucks.

I feel obliged to pint out that that's a Visual C++ error, not a Visual Basic error.

And if the error is any indicator, the problem is in the app, not the runtime.

WTF is Ghooomer anyways? I'd get in the directory and see if you can figure out what it's for.

C++ my bad, I've been taking a visual basic class for using Access and it's been taking up too much space in my brain. :lol:

checked my computer for the ghooomer directory and for the file, even went to the command prompt to try and search for it.

can't seem to figure it out.

gotta stop letting my kid use the computer...

dont know what he did, but i ended up with alot of adware and spyware and some viruses, but after cleaning everything out that i could find, i'm just getting this now, and only when I come to this website.

C++ my bad, I've been taking a visual basic class for using Access and it's been taking up too much space in my brain.  :lol:

Ah.

checked my computer for the ghooomer directory and for the file, even went to the command prompt to try and search for it.

can't seem to figure it out.

Shouldn't be hard to find, unless you've got the computer not showing hidden files and directories(as it does by default).

I mean, it gives you the path in the error...

gotta stop letting my kid use the computer...

dont know what he did, but i ended up with alot of adware and spyware and some viruses, but after cleaning everything out that i could find, i'm just getting this now, and only when I come to this website.

Eww.

it's a new variant of VX2.Look2Me that I'm fighting with.

No luck yet.

system restore didn't work,

locating and trying to kill the process doesn't work either.

looks like i'm getting close to format reinstall...

340861[/snapback]

Tried using the program 'Ewido' in Windows Safe-mode???

or get 'Hijackthis.exe' -if you know what should be on your HD this is an excellent

tool to get rid of unwanted things in your directories/registry

Tried using the program 'Ewido' in Windows Safe-mode???

or get  'Hijackthis.exe' -if you know what should be on your HD this is an excellent

tool to get rid of unwanted things in your directories/registry

340931[/snapback]

tried ewido, it found lots more things, but it still can't remove VX2.Look2Me.

did find Ghooomer and erased the directory,

but i even deleted my windows directory, then reinstalled windows and it's still there.

guess i will just do a format and complete reinstall over again.

microsoft is going to be questioning me on how many times i've reactivated this version of windows, but hey, if they didn't write buggy software, i wouldn't have to do this.

microsoft is going to be questioning me on how many times i've reactivated this version of windows, but hey, if they didn't write buggy software, i wouldn't have to do this.

341016[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure how ghoomer being FUBAR(or attempting to activate a non-existant exploit) is MS writing buggy software.

341016[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure how ghoomer being FUBAR(or attempting to activate a non-existant exploit) is MS writing buggy software.

341038[/snapback]

not saying ghoomer is related to MS,

since i've deleted everything in there, i get alot of nonexistent processes trying to run.

i still get lots of popups, now i get them in firefox too.

windows is windows.

just saying MS writes buggy software, always making it harder to do stuff. i really miss the old DCL days....ahhh..vax/vms.....

also, after the reinstall of XP, it didn't recognize any of my USB stuff, until after I upgraded to SP2. i couldn't use my mouse or keyboard, i had to go dig through the basement to find a PS2 keyboard and mouse since i don't have any adapters.

then I had to d/l drivers for the motherboard, soundcard, video card on my notebook and burn a disk so i could install those things. man....it's 2:30a, I have to be up at 6a. might as well go to bed now as soon as my dvd with data files finish burning.

MS was giving me a hard time with reactivation (this is the 4th time I've reactivated it. First PC motherboard blew up, so I put a new board in. that was reinstall #2, then the m/b blew again, build new PC, install #3, now I just did install #4. seems Office XP is working so I don't have to reinstall that).

i finally have everything back up and running (VX2.Look2me is still running) and I will just have to live with the dang VX2 until someone can tell me how to remove it without doing a format.

then again, maybe it's time to build another computer and use that stupid Windows XP x64 I have sitting around.

:unsure:

ok, message is jumping all over the place, time for bed.

at least when my kid gets up in a few hours, he can print stuff for school. guess i should really put the printer onto a wireless server or something so the notebook can print, or he could just hook up the cable to the notebook....or i can buy him a printer...nah..

You've probably already considered this, but I'd definitely create a seperate profile for your kid that does not have administrative permissions. Then, I'd password protect your own profile. Windows XP actually has a nice "Welcome Screen" that makes multiple user home environments pretty hassle-free. You might want to consider it.

H

341016[/snapback]

341038[/snapback]

not saying ghoomer is related to MS,

since i've deleted everything in there, i get alot of nonexistent processes trying to run.

i still get lots of popups, now i get them in firefox too.

windows is windows.

just saying MS writes buggy software, always making it harder to do stuff. i really miss the old DCL days....ahhh..vax/vms.....

Ah.

IMO, their products are better than they're goiven credit for. Not the best ever, but still fairly decent.

It's their business practices I don't like.

also, after the reinstall of XP, it didn't recognize any of my USB stuff, until after I upgraded to SP2.  i couldn't use my mouse or keyboard, i had to go dig through the basement to find a PS2 keyboard and mouse since i don't have any adapters.

then I had to d/l drivers for the motherboard, soundcard, video card on my notebook and burn a disk so i could install those things. man....it's 2:30a, I have to be up at 6a. might as well go to bed now as soon as my dvd with data files finish burning.

Yeesh.

MS was giving me a hard time with reactivation (this is the 4th time I've reactivated it.  First PC motherboard blew up, so I put a new board in.  that was reinstall #2, then the m/b blew again, build new PC, install #3, now I just did install #4. seems Office XP is working so I don't have to reinstall that).

This is the sort of problem I forsaw when they originally announced the activation scheme.

then again, maybe it's time to build another computer and use that stupid Windows XP x64 I have sitting around.

:unsure:

It's ALWAYS time to build a new computer.

Honestly, I have a lot of fun building/upgrading/sidegrading/downgrading boxes. I just like messing around in there.

ok, message is jumping all over the place, time for bed.

at least when my kid gets up in a few hours, he can print stuff for school. guess i should really put the printer onto a wireless server or something so the notebook can print, or he could just hook up the cable to the notebook....or i can buy him a printer...nah..

We've got the printer here attached to the "main" comp and shared, so everyone on the network can use it(all... 3 boxes right now. Must... build... more...).

man,these days the viruses seem to be able to imbed themselves deep in your OS & cause headaches long before you know they're there.you practically need to be a computer expert to even be able to fix the damage they cause.i got tired of it all & got a mac,but i really feel for you guys that still have pc's & have to endure all this nonsense just to enjoy the 'net. <_<

man,these days the viruses seem to be able to imbed themselves deep in your OS & cause headaches long before you know they're there.you practically need to be a computer expert to even be able to fix the damage they cause.i got tired of it all & got a mac,but i really feel for you guys that still have pc's & have to endure all this nonsense just to enjoy the 'net. <_<

342656[/snapback]

A. Macs aren't invincible. There've been Mac viruses before, there will be again. Tehy aren't as common because Macs aren't as common.

B. Viruses "these days" are pathetic piles of steamking crap compared to what you USED to see. Sure they were absolute pains in the ass, but the old viruses demonstrated, among other things, a reasonable level of programming skill. Most of what's out there now is just some stupid script kiddie's Visual BASIC cut&paste hackjob, with minimal capabilty to do anything of signifigance.

C. Windows CAN be very secure. I've been on the internet for 6 years, with minimal precautioins, and I've not caught a single virus. Been using IBM compatibles for oever a decade, and I've caught exactly ONE virus, a mreo-ror-less harmless boot-sectonr virus that did nothing but waste 4kbytes of disk space and spread itself.

MOST of the virus problems aren't due to anything mroe than pure stupidity.

If you recieve an e-mail from Angelina Jolie where she confesses her lust for you, and the attachment is "my hot naked body.exe", it's GENERALLY safe to assume that it's NOT actually from Ms. Jolie, and that said attachment is, in fact, not naked pictures of ANYONE, much less Jolie. And yet, literaly thousands of people will double-click the damned attachment "just in case."

People shut their brains off at the computer.

I'm not sure here but does anyone have a process called SVCHOST.exe? I have downloaded a PC game off a shareware program and all of a sudden my computer goes crazy and it starts eating all my programs. I had to reinstall windows when the virus got too strong, I installed a anti-virus the second I loged into windows and killed the virus, but the thing is I still have it until now and recieve no affect from it but I have a feeling its the reason why comptuer got slow, it takes its place as a system process and seems to protect itslef and force a shutdown like most Window's system proccess do..Any idea if this virus is for real or no? Its starting to piss me off.

I'm not sure here but does anyone have a process called SVCHOST.exe? I have downloaded a PC game off a shareware program and all of a sudden my computer goes crazy and it starts eating all my programs. I had to reinstall windows when the virus got too strong, I installed a anti-virus the second I loged into windows and killed the virus, but the thing is I still have it until now and recieve no affect from it but I have a feeling its the reason why comptuer got slow, it takes its place as a system process and seems to protect itslef and force a shutdown like most Window's system proccess do..Any idea if this virus is for real or no? Its starting to piss me off.

342664[/snapback]

Google.com is your friend.

Two quick links:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...ibrary/svchost/

http://ask-leo.com/svchost_and_svchostexe_...s_and_more.html

I'm not sure here but does anyone have a process called SVCHOST.exe?

Yes. Everyone with a Windows NT variant(2000 and XP included) does.

I have downloaded a PC game off a shareware program and all of a sudden my computer goes crazy and it starts eating all my programs.

As in actually deleting them?

I'm not quite sure what the first half says... are you saying you downloaded a commercial game through a file-sharing app, or that you downloaded a shareware game off a website?

If the former... you REALLY should have fed it through an ainti-virus BEFORE trying to run it.

The latter... well, same rule applies, really. Though some file-sharing apps are known for f'ing your computer up when you install them.

I had to reinstall windows when the virus got too strong,

Computer viruses do not GET stronger as time goes by.

And if you actually had a virus, you should have FORMATTED. Reinstalling Windows doesn't clean anything off.

I installed a anti-virus the second I loged into windows and killed the virus,

As in it actually scanned the computer, identified a virus, and cleaned/deleted the infected file? Then why are we having this conversation?

but the thing is I still have it until now and recieve no affect from it but I have a feeling its the reason why comptuer got slow,

A feeling based on what?

This entire post serves as a shining example of why the computer illiterate shouldn't try to diagnose their own problems.