WOW!

buglips

I stumbled across this place a couple of days ago, and I just have to say that the phenomenal work I see here blows my mind.

I've been building models for over 20 years, and had decided to give it up after finishing a 2-1/2 year 1/72 HMCS Snowberry project (BEAST!!!)... but coming here is starting to inspire me again...

I came to Macross through Robotech, but I've always loved the mecha and ship designs. For stuff designed in the late 70's it still has the great look of style and functionality that made it so great to begin with.

It'll probably be a few months before I have something to work on, but I just had to post and express my gratitude to you folks for the fine work you do on your kits, and for re-awakening my love of model building with your inspiring pieces!

It's good to see there's fellow modelers all around. I joined VERY recently and I'm just about done the construction of my VF-1A Valkyrie and will begin air brushing it soon enough.

I've just begun recently with the whole modeling thing so there's lot to learn, but experience is the best teacher. I think I've perhaps done only 8 kits so far, which is sneazable.

1. Gundam Deathsycthe 1/144 (my first one, and I still have it, but I want to throw it away since it's so bad. This was 5 years ago).

2. Gundam 010-MSZ 1/144 (about 4 years ago).

3. Patlabor - 1/35 Ingram Alphonse REACTIVE ARMOUR TYPE - June 2005

4. Gundam 1/144 RX-78 ALEX June 2005

5. USS Enterprise CVAN-65 1/400 Revell - August 2005

6. 1/4000? AMT Imperial Star Destroyer - Oct 2005

You'll notice the huge gap simply because I was into other stuff back then, mainly video games (which I still am, but I'm serious about getting into hardcore modeling).

I'll say this:

Most any technique you see that looks daunting/intimidating, usually isn't that bad, and you will rapidly improve as you use it. Just try everything.

Normally I'd also recommend building at least one of each major "type" of model, but since you've done mecha, a VF-1, and a ship, you seem to have that covered. (I see so many people who do ONLY planes or ships or mecha, when so many techniques overlap and would let them build equally nice models of a totally different sort while learning new techniques)

Modeling is a difficult task and doing good in it is skill meaning you know how to use a computer I was thinking of becoming one but I dunno it sounds like alot of hardwork. Yes anything you do is hard but as you work it up your skill develops and makes it easier, modeling has many paths to work on mecha, planes, toys, people, and etc. You can be good in one group but doesnt mean you good in the other, taking other types doesnt make you cynical, dont be too fonding of your skills no one is perfect.

Edited by Dean

Modeling is a difficult task and doing good in it is skill meaning you know how to use a computer I was thinking of becoming one but I dunno it sounds like alot of hardwork. Yes anything you do is hard but as you work it up your skill develops and makes it easier, modeling has many paths to work on mecha, planes, toys, people, and etc. You can be good in one group but doesnt mean you good in the other, taking other types doesnt make you cynical, dont be too fonding of your skills no one is perfect.

337069[/snapback]

For the love of god man use some punctuation marks!

My brain hurts after reading that post.

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

Hey buglips; Never give up, never surrender..just allow yourself to take breaks. Show us some of your stuff even if it not macross..there are plenty of topics where you can show us some of your modeling skills...looking forward to your first VF...

I have many years of model experience... I just got sick of the hobby after that Snowberry mega-project fought me at every turn.

I decided to go back to painting fantasy miniatures, but after doing 183 since this time last year, that lost its charm. After the first 100, it's pretty much the same thing over and over. Macross modelling though... that's new and fresh, and I've only done a small number of kits (old Revell VT-1D, two ARII 15th anniv 1/170 Battroids, and a Zentradei flagship). Looking at the results achieved here, especially with the Hasegawa kits (alway been a fan of Hasegawa aircraft), just re-ignited that lost spark.

I haven't done a lot of work with airbrushing, even on the big Snowberry I handpainted everything. Took a lot longer, but I enjoyed it. I think the Macross kits would deserve some experiments with airbrushing, and a new challenge is always good.

I'm looking around now, and I think my first project will be a 1/100 Regult or a 1/72 Hasegawa fighter mode VF-1J in Jack Archer's color scheme from the Gamecube Battlecry. That's a nice paint job.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of that VT-1D. I built it in 1991 after finding it at a yard sale, so it's longggggg gone.

The only model I have any pics of is that Snowberry kit before I gave it away. A lot of the things I build are either gifts or ones someone else bought. I had the fun of modelling without the expense or clutter.

It might be a while before I have anything to take pics of. I need to replenish my workshop supplies and get a project. But there's nothing I love more than using my digital camera, so there'll be plenty of pics then!

I figure... maybe early December I should be ready to start in.