FFVII: AC

Akilae

Last Order was decent but if you've played the game there's nothing new outside of there being more Turks and scenes of Zack and Cloud's escape from the mansion. For the most part if you've played the actual game you've gotten everything else in more detail. Though the fight between Zack and Seph was cool and the scenes actually followed the game though the inside of the Mako reactor where Jenova was located was changed.

Just watched The Last Order without watching Advent Children yet.

Damn my brain needs refreshing. I don't remmeber what happened between Zack and Cloud being defeated by Sephi and then Zack and Cloud escaping where Cloud was comatose. The fight scenes in LO were excellent stuff! If there is ever gonna be a FFVII series, the people who did this OVA has gotta do it. Zack VS Sephi was the win. Only thing i rememebred about it in the game was Sephiroth doing some Jenova ping thingy (whole screen flashes green) and super deformed Zack is thrown to the floor. (I thought he died then...dun remmeber)

328958[/snapback]

If I recall after the event at the Mako Reactor and the flashbacks you return to the present part of the game. In order to get more of the backstory on Cloud and Zack you have to actually visit the Shinra Mansion, which is where you pick up Vincent. As he's an optional character it's possible to completely miss that part of the game and story, same with Yuffie. While there, you get the rest of the flashbacks about the experiments done on Zack and Cloud, how they escape, them in the back of the truck, and I think how Cloud ends up mixing his memories with Zack's actions and stories. Which is why at first he believes he was the one that came back to his home town with Seph and meet Tifa when it was actually Zack as shown in Last Order which also shown in the game(after Cloud first believing otherwise but Tifa not correcting him until later one). I think she doesn't say anything to him at first cause she beleives something must have happen to him to make him think things went differently then they actually did. She was right on the money I believe cause his mind was pretty screwed up after the event and up till he and Zack were heading for Midgar.

At least I think that's the case. Been a while since I played but I believe that's the case. You even meet Zack's parents as well in the game in one of the houses on the map as you are traveling to the port city(forget the name). The one that ends up having the big gun placed in it later on in the game.

Edited by Effect

I know it's still early, but have any HK disc's popped up yet?

328181[/snapback]

Yeah, the HK bootleg is out. They were playing it at Frank and Sons.

328534[/snapback]

Wow you go to Frank and Sons too.

Damn AnimeSource version. Only had the movie had subs, or at least displayed them for me. Ugh. I can't wait to get the dvd though. I though it was pretty good, what parts I saw. I got up until the attack in Midgar where Bahamaut was summoned then no more subs. Checking out the other version.

The fight scenes were pretty cool, always good to see the Turks. I like how powers were used but at the same time weren't used all the time. I just hope we see more locations from the game.

Hearing the music that plays when you win a battle in the games on the cell phone was a nice touch after Tifa's battle.

Also maybe this was talked about later but what is the actual state of the world? I mean other cities and towns. Are they out there and okay? Clearly the city isn't going to be fixed so people had to move out of the area to other places but is there any actual talk in the movie about other areas?

Can't wait to see the rest of it.

328646[/snapback]

The AnimeSource ones are bootlegs, I cant belive I bought a AnimeSource DRYL... Dont buy DVDs from Frank & Sons check whats in it first, no tag or if the disc is thier only and the cover has a weird print dont buy it.

is cloud's hand magical?

btw the fighting scenes were very well done. now just have to wait for a remake of ff7 for play3 and a ff8 movie.

329146[/snapback]

They are having a FF8 Movie I never heard of this and I love FF8 , what is it exactly?

They are having a FF8 Movie I never heard of this and I love FF8 , what is it exactly?

329152[/snapback]

never heard also, but if square is going to start with all the remake thing there is a chance that we might see an ff8 remake or something.

but i think there is a good chance that we will not see a ff7 remake (or even any other ff remake). to demonstrate the power of a ps2 they did a ff8 ps2 technology demo, the scene squall and rinoa dances, and they didn´t released a ff8 remake.

Edited by akt_m

Let's face it... the movie could have been called Final Fantasy VII: Fan Service.

Yes, the movie looked amazing. Yes, it was cool to see all those characters again, with much greater detail (I've gained a totally new respect for Rude and Reno). Yes the fights were awesome. And yes, Sephiroth is in it.

However, since I wasn't a huge fan of the original, it's really easy for me to rip the movie a new one, too. The plot hardly made any sense. I mean, where'd those Kadaj and the other two actually come from? Were they created like Sephiroth? And what's the whole Geostigma about? Why do all those kids have it? And frankly, Sephiroth-loving fanboys and girls aside, I actually think it was retarded to have Sephiroth in the movie. Cloud kicked his ass two years ago, and a little Jenova juice is just supposed to up and turn Kadaj into Sephiroth (complete with the outfit and sword)?

All-in-all, fans of Final Fantasy VII should enjoy it for the trip down memory lane that it stirs. But if your looking for a true sequel with any substance, you'll going to have to wait a little longer.

And what's the whole Geostigma about?  Why do all those kids have it?

329171[/snapback]

Yeah, I thought that was a little strange too.. I think they inherited it from the life stream when seph died the first time two years earlier.. But that would mean all those kids were two years old.. They didn't seem like two-year-olds to me. :rolleyes:

And what's the whole Geostigma about?  Why do all those kids have it?

329171[/snapback]

Yeah, I thought that was a little strange too.. I think they inherited it from the life stream when seph died the first time two years earlier.. But that would mean all those kids were two years old.. They didn't seem like two-year-olds to me. :rolleyes:

329196[/snapback]

Cloud and the guy in the wheelchair had it too.

But can you imagine a FF8 movie? I mean Advent Children was started in production last year, with the technology now and later a FF8 Movie and Remake would be awesome, but back to topic dont spoil the movie for me..since I want to know what happened to Sephiroth and know whos the guy with the white cape in wheel chair.

I figured anyone that was infused with Mako had the Geostigma. That would include Kadje and his group, Seph, Cloud, and Rufus. Anyone else think Kadje's group were ex-SOLIDERs for Shinra? (ala Seph, Zack, and Cloud) Then there is the effect of the Lifestream on people at the end of the game. It seemed like only kids had it as well.

Seemed like an interesting way of taking revenge or getting in a parting shot. It was said that the Geostigma was caused by Jenova right? If that is the case then what better way to kill off people then to kill off the kids or any new kids. Either born already(there at the time the meteor was about to hit(Marlene and Denzel for example) or about to be born so they couldn't grow. At least that's what I think that was the purpose of the Geostigma at first then Kadje used it to turn the kids to his side which at the same time does the same thing since it helps Jenova and hurts everyone else.

I've never actually gotten Knights of the Round in the game but what Cloud did at the end, that was basiclly it without showing actual giant knights right? They were also doing Omnislash(did get this) as well during that fight right?

from what i gathered, Geostigma was probably some kinda of virus

Effect-

yea that was pretty much Knight s of the Round, w/o the Knights and shorter. Omnislash was also there

also, i found a "better" translation (better meaning the editor reworded the lines from the Jasconius fansub). Havent seen it with the new sub yet, anyone want it? Is it safe to post here?

FFIV and FFVI would be awesome to do as a cg movie like FFAC.

But, I can't see them doing it. :(

I so thought that Sephiroth was going to go and own EVERYONE when he sprouted that one wing. Such a dissapointment that he went poof and the whiny kadaj came back.

I thought it was BS that Tifa got beaten down by whatever the hell his name is. :angry:

Just saw it....felt like I was watching some John Woo + Dragonball movie. The fights, as good as they were became pretty repetitive. Hit hit, parry parry jump fly hit hit parry parry and continue! Bad guys also seem relentless. They don't stay dead.

I wonder if Rude and Reno died....hmmm.

All this about Reunion....so the bad guys gathered the children cause they have Jenova cells in them. To do what? They don't seem to have a purpose but to draw Cloud. And Cloud doesn't even have Jenova. In the end it was just Kadaj + Jenova = Sephiroth badass. Rite.....

Vincent mentioned that Geostigma was a immune system at work. The world was trying to purge Jenova cells from people and so happened the children had Jenova cells somehow. Sephiroth "larvae" as Vincent called Kadaj's gang...not sure how they came about either. Maybe they were past Shin Ra experiments? Or maybe just born with Jenova cells cause apparently Jenova invaded the lifestream when it 1st landed on earth.

Story's all over the place....maybe someione can explain better?

Production on Advent Children was not started last year, it was started about 3 years ago. Originally Square wanted to do a remake on FF7 on the PS2 with all cool CG scenes that we have watched in the AC movie, but decided to cancel the project. The only problem was that they spent alot of time and money rendered out the scenes already, so "big boss" said slap them together and sell it as a movie. From there they spend all the time rendering out all the scenes to "connect" the other scenes together as smoothy as possibly as you can tell the story got "butched" (I guess they needed more time). During that time they estimated the movie was going to be 60 mins, but delayed it so they can add a whole 40 mins to it.

But can you imagine a FF8 movie? I mean Advent Children was started in production last year, with the technology now and later a FF8 Movie and Remake would be awesome, but back to topic dont spoil the movie for me..since I want to know what happened to Sephiroth and know whos the guy with the white cape in wheel chair.

329248[/snapback]

Edited by Gunbuster

As much as I despise the 3D final fantasies (IE anything after VI), I have to say they would translate much easier into movies than the earlier ones. While there is still side-quest stuff in these games, the plot development is a lot more linear than previous games (for example, in FFVI, there are a couple of points where you can decide which part of the story you want to persue first). Also, there are fuller character models to work from (two dozen sprites or so is difficult to translate into a full-blown 3D character without a little more creative input... at which point you run into people not agreeing with the final product)

I'm with Mike on this one... the action was absolutely magnificent, the graphic detail is amazing, and the music is da bomb (I want that rock version of "One Winged Angel", it's wicked sick!), but the story sUxOrEd the phat one1111. Did anyone besides me feel that Aerith "saved the day" once too often? I mean, she was more worthless than tits on a warthog in the game, and served only as a weak plot device after her death... and now it's all about her?? c'mon. Another soapbox of mine is that Bahamut is supposed to be a GOOD GUY (one of my major beefs with FFIX). While looking decidedly FFXish, it was nice to see him animated... even if he were summoned by evil.

While Rude and Reno were obviously thrown in for a comedy effect, it was too little and not often enough (or conversely, too much and too often depending on how you think they should be), but I DID like the "Agent Smith" vibe they gave off, especially rude.

Let's hear it for ugly-ass bikes, Sephiroth posers, and big-tittied dead women. I'm out.

Edited by Skull Leader

Since when is Bahamut suppose to be good or any summon? I figured that all summons as far back as when they first came into the games, were neutral for the most part. It's who summoned them, earned the right to summon them, that were either good or bad. So they could be commanded to do evil things or work for the side of good.

Kept me entertained and beats the Hell out of anything from Hollywood lately, though that isn't say a lot really...

Yeah, the story was pretty weak but I wasn't expecting much from the story department to begin with. Definatly nothing on the level of a full RPG. The ending kind of left me lost, is JENOVA now in the Lifestream and is Sephiroth going to show up every now and then like a case of herpes?

I got the OST and I was pretty dissapointed it didn't have the remixed versions of One Winged Angel and JENOVA.

If it came out here on DVD I'd probably buy it.

Since when is Bahamut suppose to be good or any summon? I figured that all summons as far back as when they first came into the games, were neutral for the most part. It's who summoned them, earned the right to summon them, that were either good or bad. So they could be commanded to do evil things or work for the side of good.

330361[/snapback]

Don't tell me you just started playing Final Fantasy with these new-fangled 3D PlayStation era Final Fantasies?

In the original Final Fantasy, after completing a task to prove their worth, Bahamut gives power to the Light Warriors, giving them their class upgrades.

In Final Fantasy IV, Bahamut only agreed to aid the companions and allow Rydia to summon him after they demonstrated that they were fighting for justice.

In Final Fantasy VI, although we don't get to see much of his character the way we do in Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy IV, we're given to understand that he, like the other summonable monsters in the game, is an Esper. The Esper race seemed to be, on the whole, a benevolent race.

Don't tell me you just started playing Final Fantasy with these new-fangled 3D PlayStation era Final Fantasies?

Well you did have to fight him in FFVIII.

330437[/snapback]

It's also why we fought an evil Bahamut in FF9 because Kuja was evil. I guess the thrend continued in FFX when we also fought an evil Bahamut but that's one of those fangled FFs, Mike is referring to.

In almost every case that characters had to battle Bahamut, it was a test or rite of passage. FFIX is the only instance where Bahamut was summoned by evil (and now Advent Children). In FF lexicon, I classify this as a fundamental betrayal of trust. (kind of like the feeling you get when you experience your first major earthquake, and the ground beneath your feet moves). Obviously there's nothing to stop them from doing it, it just rather goes against the grain of what FF Fans come to believe (Bahamut as a giver of wisdom and enlightenment... also the big guy you call in when you need a serious can of whoopass opened on someone)

How about FF8 Bahamut? It became a GF and later you battle some other creature near the end of the game called Tiamat similar to Bahamut, since you can get Bahamut from Tiamat if you missed it earlier.

But I havent seen FF:AC yet but saw the Bahamut fight against all the characters in the trailer a little. The battle scenes are so freaken sweet I want to see it :ph34r: .

Edited by Dean

330361[/snapback]

In the original Final Fantasy, after completing a task to prove their worth, Bahamut gives power to the Light Warriors, giving them their class upgrades.

In Final Fantasy IV, Bahamut only agreed to aid the companions and allow Rydia to summon him after they demonstrated that they were fighting for justice.

In Final Fantasy VI, although we don't get to see much of his character the way we do in Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy IV, we're given to understand that he, like the other summonable monsters in the game, is an Esper. The Esper race seemed to be, on the whole, a benevolent race.

330429[/snapback]

No I've been playing Final Fantasy games as far back as Final Fantasy 1 on the NES.

Like I said I thought they were neutral for the most parts. All summons where I mean. Sure Espers were a good race for the most part but when reduced to shards, basiclly anyone could have used them to learn spells or summon the Esper to do work. I didn't remember the thing about Bahamut allowing a person only fighting for justice to summon him. Then again FF1 was pretty linear in how it's story turned out and you didn't have knowledge of both sides of things like you did in the Final Fantasy games that followed it. FF1, everything was centered on the Light Warriors.

It stands to reason, at least how I remembered or thought about it that when you break things down to things like Esper shards, Materia, or even Guardian Forces anyone could use or summon them. FF9 was based on who used them from what I remember. I'm not sure about Final Fantasy 5 in how the summons there worked.

I'm trying to remember about Final Fantasy 2 and 3 but I think again things were centered on the actual characters without much play from the bad guys and don't think there was much of a focus on the summons in those games but not sure.

Wait in FF1 Bahamut wasn't even really a summon was he? He was just an NPC for the most part right? Should that version even count here since we are talking about summons for the most part?

Story's all over the place....maybe someione can explain better?

Actually, I think "story's all over the place" is the best explaination I've heard. The story is an irrelevant vehicle to deliver pure and simple fanservice.

329638[/snapback]

I got to agree with this. I mean, the animation was pretty, and it was fun seeing all our old favourites running around in action packed modern CG, but the story was a contrived mess that exists soley to string together stirring emotional flashbacks and fight scenes that go on way too long.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and it was definitely a better movie attempt than, say, Spirits Within, but it was still not "good" per se.

I was shocked, and more than a little dissapointed, when several friends piped up that they thought the story was as good or better than the game. These are all fans of the game as well, mind you, so they didn't mean it in a derogatory fashion. They honestly did not see anything contrived about Shin-Ra trying to make the same mistakes over again by creating more Jenova clones, or that wacky, and ultimately pointless, "Jenova stigma" or whatever it was called.

I also thought that as a story, the pacing was incredibly off, and that only served to make the cracks show even more.

Again, as eye candy and fan service, I enjoyed it. I'd like to grab the soundtrack. However, I'll definitely be ignoring it as a part of the FFVII story. For me the story ends when humanity was swept up in the life stream and delivered to the Promised Land. Oh wait...