Exterm-i-nate! Exterm-i-nate!

F-ZeroOne

(only one other companion ever noticed being able to communicate with aliens in English).

Sarah Jane Smith asked the Doctor this very question while she was under the drugged influence of Hieronymous in the story "The Masque of Mandragora". While she technically did ask him this, Sarah was not in her own mind. Just a little correction on my part, sorry.

garbage can (sorry - rubbish bin).

Actually old chap we tend to call them wheelie bins these days, though you are quite right in that we put rubbish in them rather than garbage or trash. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nice to see that its the States suffering alien hostility in next week's episode, Dr Who's villains nearly always seem to pick on us Brits. I suppose that after wrecking Big Ben and causing 10 Downing Street to be blown up in the last couple of episodes, the ETs probably figure there is not much more they could do to us.

Edited by Mechmaster

My neighbor blew up his wheelie bin last week after watching Dr WHO. H was drunk and had an extra skybird rocket. Poor brown bin jumped 5 feet off the ground before exploding. :o:D Funniest thing ever.

Wow! I hope he didn't get drunk again this weekend, I should certainly hate to be a fat politician canvassing in his neighbourhood if he did. :lol::lol:

You've got brown wheelie bins? We get 1 green and 1 blue one around here. I don't think any have been blown up, but there are usually a few floating down the river.

Yeah down in the newmarket/ cambridge area we have blue for recycling, black for regular trash and brown for garden compost.

I think thats why i laughed a little when that bin ate that guy. i have one of those black bins next to my door.

Okay, I don't think I'm going to give anything away by revealing that the Daleks returned for the latest episode - the title kind of gives it away. I have good news, and I have news that some people may well find bad.

Good - Daleks got a brand new bag, and its not just to do with stairs. This is Dalek Plus, and its learnt a thing or two. Lets just say you're not going to able to run up behind it and stick a bag over its head anymore. And its even found a use for the sink plunger...

Possibly Bad - without giving anything away, I think this episode is going to split people down the middle. Those that already don't like the series are probably only going to be further convinced, while those who haven't made their minds up may well go that road as well.

However, if one takes a little time to think about things, then the general thrust of the storyline does fit with established Who (and a number of other SF story themes). And theres one line in particular, an exchange between the Doctor and the Dalek, which really does make you pause and think.

Overall, though, a very good episode with a number of surprises. And rumour has it, we may still have not seen the last of the genocidal pepper-pots just yet...

Oh, yes - next week - Simon Pegg...!

PS: 80s super-vehicle show fans - keep your eyes peeled. You might just spot a familar rotary friend...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Okay, I don't think I'm going to give anything away by revealing that the Daleks returned for the latest episode - the title kind of gives it away. I have good news, and I have news that some people may well find bad.

Good - Daleks got a brand new bag, and its not just to do with stairs. This is Dalek Plus, and its learnt a thing or two. Lets just say you're not going to able to run up behind it and stick a bag over its head anymore. And its even found a use for the sink plunger...

Possibly Bad - without giving anything away, I think this episode is going to split people down the middle. Those that already don't like the series are probably only going to be further convinced, while those who haven't made their minds up may well go that road as well.

However, if one takes a little time to think about things, then the general thrust of the storyline does fit with established Who (and a number of other SF story themes). And theres one line in particular, an exchange between the Doctor and the Dalek, which really does make you pause and think.

Overall, though, a very good episode with a number of surprises. And rumour has it, we may still have not seen the last of the genocidal pepper-pots just yet...

Oh, yes - next week - Simon Pegg...!

PS: 80s super-vehicle show fans - keep your eyes peeled. You might just spot a familar rotary friend...

The acting on the part of the American soldiers was horrible in that episode.

Rotary Friend? Either KITT had an RX-7 brother I didn't know about or it's a chopper that flies faster than sound :)

Its the other rotary mean machine from the 80s - the one with the mini-gun and a co-pilot named after a best-selling British brand of chocolately orange mini-cakes. :)

Presumably, the BBC needed some footage of an aggressive looking helicopter and felt that the Armys Apaches were a bit over-familiar...

Freakin' awesome episode. It had a lot of emotional intensity. The Doctor's reaction to the Dalek was well done and they made it downright scary. The "You would make a good Dalek" line was wonderful, as was "hairdryer."

Another nice touch - Rose isn't scared. At first. Just like some of the younger audience, who really might not know why they should be scared... ;)

• 2 months later...

Wow I remember watching that show back in the mid eighties on PBS and again in 1999 to 2000 when I was living in Pittsburgh. <_< But lost track of watching it when I moved to Claymont Delaware. I didn't have cable in my old home in Pittsburgh so it was my only source of late night entertainment (pre-Adultswim anime days) :angry:

Wow I remember watching that show back in the mid eighties on PBS and again in 1999 to 2000 when I was living in Pittsburgh. <_<  But lost track of watching it when I moved to Claymont Delaware. I didn't have cable in my old home in Pittsburgh so it was my only source of late night entertainment (pre-Adultswim anime days) :angry:

316363[/snapback]

Indeed this show and the Brit Comedy Red Dwarf got me through my formative years IE High School.

While Mom and Dad were at the Gym or Famrers Market on Saturday Mornings in LA. I would Water Mom's equivelent of the Rain Forest like 30 odd plants Im not kidding Solscud can vouch. then heat up some Price Club Taquitos and watch Who and Dwarf Back to back

and it DOES state in the Dr who store Web that V 1and 2 are PAL which means you are SOL

316339[/snapback]

Where? Unless I am blind, I do not see PAL anywhere on either of those two pages. Region 2 yes, but not PAL.

316376[/snapback]

If it's a UK release, then it's PAL by default. There are DVD players out there that convert PAL to NTSC (and they're quite cheap too), so you're not completely sunk.

and it DOES state in the Dr who store Web that V 1and 2 are PAL which means you are SOL

316339[/snapback]

Where? Unless I am blind, I do not see PAL anywhere on either of those two pages. Region 2 yes, but not PAL.

316376[/snapback]

If it's a UK release, then it's PAL by default. There are DVD players out there that convert PAL to NTSC (and they're quite cheap too), so you're not completely sunk.

316382[/snapback]

Now you know what it was like for us UK anime fans back in the days of NTSC video players... :p (just kidding... really!)

If you can wait, I believe a DVD Series 1 box set is planned for UK release in November.

Some shots of the new Doctor have emerged. I rather like the look, myself, though some of you might be a bit scared to know that his latest incarnation likes red-and-white striped pyjamas... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

DUDES.... I was watching a repeat of SNL last night with Paris Hilton hosting... there was a Skit with Phone Sex Operators as Nerds... Trekkies D&D Players Star Wars Fans Tolkien Fans etc.. and they would have Phone Sex with these types of guys.. so at the end of the sketch.. Paris comes out with a Brown Felt Hat and scarf and even before she said anything Im thinking wait a sec here... I didnt catch all of what she said but it was like.. Im a Bad Dalek do you want to exterminate me baby???.... I was like D...U...D.....E..... :lol::p:D:blink::oB))

On a more positive note, the original Sarah Jane Smith will be back for season two along with a beat up and rusted K9.

324082[/snapback]

Yes, here is a little story to give a little more information:

Sidekick K9 returns to Doctor Who

Robot dog K9 will be reunited with Doctor Who in the new series after 24 years apart, say the show's producers. K9, who helped Tom Baker's Time Lord between 1977 and 1981, will join new Doctor David Tennant for one episode. The show, to be screened on BBC One next spring, sees the team investigate sinister events at a modern-day school. It will co-star Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor Anthony Head and Elisabeth Sladen, who is returning as 1970s Doctor's assistant Sarah Jane Smith. K9 and Sarah Jane will join the Doctor and his current sidekicks, Rose and Mickey, in a fight against the evil Krillitanes. Producer Phil Collinson said it was "great" to be welcoming back K9.

"A whole generation fondly remember him as an ever faithful companion and best friend to Tom Baker's Doctor," he said. "I hope the new generation of viewers will fall in love with him in the same way." 

John Leeson will return to provide the voice of K9.

"I am delighted to have been invited back on board - and a little gathered rust is no object to a fully functional K9," he said.

K9 was designed as a robotic pet by a Professor Marius, who left him to the Doctor. A total of three versions of K9 were built. The Doctor sent the third one to companion Sarah Jane, who had left in 1976. Sarah Jane and K9 appeared together in the spin-off show K9&Co in 1981 and the 1983 anniversary special The Five Doctors. Revived after a 16-year absence, Doctor Who proved to be a ratings success on its return in March. A 13-part series, including the K9 episode, will follow a Christmas special. The Cybermen will return in the new series, which will also see the Doctor and Rose meet Queen Victoria and an evil race of Cat Women. One episode will be written by comedian Stephen Fry, while The League of Gentleman star Mark Gatiss will once again contribute to the writing.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick heads up - the UK is rapidly approaching the broadcast date of the "Chritsmas Invasion", the first full-length episode to feature new Doctor David Tennant.

Strangely enough, it will be broadcast on Christmas Day... ;)

The episode - a "special" before resumption of the full second series - has already received some favourable reviews from press previews, and its also heartening that its being broadcast in what is traditionally a "showpiece" slot for popular BBC TV programmes in the UK.

More information - and spoilers - here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml

Incidentally, it seems that there is also going to be a small homage to the other classic Brit SF serial, Quatermass:

http://www.guinevere.org.uk/

Just a quick heads up - the UK is rapidly approaching the broadcast date of the "Chritsmas Invasion", the first full-length episode to feature new Doctor David Tennant. 

Strangely enough, it will be broadcast on Christmas Day...  ;)

The episode - a "special" before resumption of the full second series - has already received some favourable reviews from press previews, and its also heartening that its being broadcast in what is traditionally a "showpiece" slot for popular BBC TV programmes in the UK.

Incidentally, it seems that there is also going to be a small homage to the other classic Brit SF serial, Quatermass:

353273[/snapback]

aintitcoolnews.com has a spoiler filled review for the X-Mas Special

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough, it will be broadcast on Christmas Day...  ;)

353273[/snapback]

aintitcoolnews.com has a spoiler filled review for the X-Mas Special

353275[/snapback]

So yeah I just saw the X-Mas special after grabing it off the net. (My PC must have Tardis Components as I was able to down load it in like 45 minutes.

its a 60 minute ep 20 minutes longer than the Previous season (just for X-mas I think) its not bad David Tennet doesnt come in the picture till the last half of the ep but his Dr is different. More Animated than Peter Davidson #5 and a bit darker than Selvestyer Macoy #7.

and an Homage to Empire Strikes Back as well.

9 Tardis's or is it Tardi?? out of 10.

At the end there is a Preview of things to come with old Friends new friends and Old Enemys not the Daleks

Okay, general opinion around a couple of forums is that the Christmas Special was a little weak in the first half but much better in the second (possibly not coincidentally, this is the half which features much more of the new Doctor). David Tennant is so far doing a pretty good job but obviously we'll have to see how he goes on. Theres some clever SF references (pay attention at the back!) and a lovely little joke when the Doctor starts to make a big speech about humanitys place in the Universe and then realises hes actually quoting...

...well, you'll see. :lol:

Possibly most exicting was the trailer for the second season at the end. If the following words don't excite you, then you're not a Doctor Who fan:

Cyberman.

K-9.

Sarah-Jane Smith! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

US fans, we bring you this gift from the Great and Bountiful Human Empire:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4607966.stm

I've recently been re-watching the first series on DVD, and with the chance to reflect a bit after the intial excitement of the TV broadcasts, I have to say the series is actually even better than my first impression. There are a few weak spots, and SF fans might quibble about some of the concepts, but this is balanced by the terrific performances, brilliant writing and great lines ("I am fully sonic-ed up!").

The standout episodes to watch for are: Dalek, Fathers Day, and the two-parter The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

I'm jumping in a bit late, but this is great! I grew up watching Dr. Who and Red Dwarf with my dad, and they were without a doubt some of the best shows on television. I can't wait to be able to switch into Sci Fi and share some newly written history with my children.