Katrina relief

vastus

Hello Macross World community,

LIke many of you, I am absolutely stunned by what I've seen go on in New Orleans. My family is an old Southern family that has strong ties to New Orleans. In fact, truth be told, 2 aunts and 2 cousins lost their homes (4 separate houses) during the flood and my uncle hasn't been located yet - although my sister thinks she spotted him during the FoxNews broadcast last night so we are keeping our fingers crossed. I am going down this weekend to try and locate my uncle (he has Alzheimer's so it's is not going to be an easy task). I feel stupid asking for donations to help me pay for the cost of this trip since it's only going to benefit me and my family but I need to do something so I am turning to you guys. If you have a few dollars to spare, would you consider making a donation to me? Donations can be made via Paypal at:

david.royal@vanderbilt.edu

Alternatively, you can mail them to me at:

2822 Hillside Drive, A

Nashville, TN 37212

If not me, then perhaps you would consider donating to the relief effort in general. Words cannot describe the suffering there.

Either way, thanks for reading this message. I do not mean to offend anyone so please forgive the request if you find it offending. Thanks.

Cheers,

DR

I truly sympathize with you and the difficult situation you and the remaining people in that area are facing, but, help IS on the way in the form of the National Guard, Red Cross and Salvation Army.

If you need funds, perhaps you could create a sale page for some items to generate funds? This honestly is not the correct venue to solicit donations. Thanks for understanding and good luck.

Look, the Red Cross hasn't done $hit for me and my family. Similarly, the National Guard et al. didn't do anything to prevent my Aunt's business from being torn apart by looters. If any of you who responded with criticism donated a dime to the Red Cross or other like services I might be forgiving but as it stands, you cretins probably didn't donate a single red cent so you can go F$#$ yourselves.

I went through the Red Cross and got nowhere so I am doing this myself. No one's going to help us so we have to do it ourselves. As far as the government's concerned, everyone down there can rot.

I hope you donate to the cause, my cause or the relief effort in general. I, however, am going to do something about it instead of flapping my gums and gawking. First for my family and then for others.

Selfish? No. I am not gaining anything by dropping everything and running halfway across the country. In fact, it is at great cost to do such since I'll likely be away for at least a week. This site is the "Macross World" and as such, I thought to ask my fellow otaku's for a hand. If you don't want to help me, that's fine, but do not disrespect me and $hit in my face for reaching out. F@#$$ A$$#0Les!

Edited by vastus

Whoa...back up alittle. You ask for money on a message board and then you get angry for people sayng it is not appropriate, or saying no.

These members did not cause you any harm or your family damage. And really, with all the scams going on. How do we know you aren't just one of those guys "asking" for donations for all the victims, but really just taking advantage of a situation to make a quick buck. :angry:

Rob

Vastus if what you say is true then I think I can speak for everyone here in saying that our hearts go out to you and your family. We should all make donations to credible relief agencies. That being said, I have to agree with the others in stating that this isn't the proper forum to be asking for donations. Many people on this site have been victims of recent fraud and I think you would agree that should make anyone leary of request for money. Especially since there have been many documented reports of people using the tragedy as a ways to take advantage of others natural desire to donate money and to rip people off. I can't say I could even begin to fathom the situation you and your family are in, but to angrily lash out and pointlessly name call the very same people who you elicit for help isn't helping your cause at all. Do you know for a fact that members of this site haven't already or plan to make contributions?

Not being completely familiar with your situation, I beg to ask what if any good you can truely accomplish by going to a disaster area where they are trying to evacuate people. You would merely be consuming the same resources that could be used to help those that really need them. Where would you stay? Where would you get food, Gas, Etc? Are the roads acessible to you?

Careful of this Vastus guy (was eenawes or something). I had sort of a sketchy experience regarding a couple 1/55s he sold me. He had a number of excuses and not the best communication at the time. He semi-made up for a shipment-gone-wrong, so I cautiously added him to the straight shooters list.

The way he asks for a handout and then immediately gets defensive and angry tells me his story may be suspect. If not, then I wish him the best and hope aid agencies are able to assist him in the long run.

Whoa...back up alittle.  You ask for money on a message board and then you get angry for people sayng it is not appropriate, or saying no.

These members did not cause you any harm or your family damage.  And really, with all the scams going on.  How do we know you aren't just one of those guys "asking" for donations for all the victims, but really just taking advantage of a situation to make a quick buck. :angry:

Rob

325536[/snapback]

Well said, Monkey-N! vastus, my heart goes out to you and your family but we here are paranoid ppl. Too much has happened here of fraud so understand how we feel. When someone starts spouting helping disaster victims and such and say they need direct donations, we get suspicious. Look at it from our point of view. So chill out.

Oh BTW, I do donate to the Red Cross.

Alright guys... let's not turn this awful situation into a cause for argument.

Vastus... you have to understand that this sort of thing happens all the time. Everytime there's a horrible situation, there are some people that are ready to take advantage of it. I'm not saying it's you. But if someone else sees that we're willing to give money solicited by a member then others will get the idea to do it too, now or some other time.

MWers have gotten together before when a member is down in luck, but I don't believe it was ever solicited by that person. It's a heartbreaking situation that has happened in that part of the country, but no matter how bad it is, the message board is the wrong place to turn to. Good luck to you and the other misfortuned people that was devastated.

I'm hoping that a mod would lock this thread before it gets out of hand.

Edited by >EXO<