DYRL English dub

snowboarder

So the other day I was going through a box that I had kept in storage which contained a bunch of old anime VHS tapes that I had collected when I was a teenager. I found a bunch of cool stuff but my most interesting discovery was a copy of DYRL that I had purchased at a comic/sci fi convention from around 15 years ago.

The front of the case has Minmay, Hikaru, Misa and the title Super Spacefortress Macross. The top right has the Victor logo. The spine has the title and the Victor logo at the top. The back has a montage of art of Minmay, Hikaru and Misa arm in arm, two pics of Minmay singing, all the credits in English and a bunch of Japanese writing. It says in the top right Color/115min/Mono and at the bottom right Made in Japan 1987 and a price of 14800 yen.

The movie has English dialog (England/Australia accent) with Japanese subtitles. After the ending credits there's a music video from Flashback with the new animation showing the departure of the Megaroad from earth. After that the opening animation from the TV series plays followed by Japanese commercials from Imai and Bandai for valkyrie toys. The quality of the video is REALLY good for a 15yr old tape.

The reason I gave a desription of the tape and its contents is if anyone can tell me if this an official release or just a really good bootleg from back in the day. Also, I work in post production as a telecine colorist and I was thinking of doing a complete digital color correction on this to make it look real nice and to clean it up. If anyone is interested in a copy leave me a response in this thread.

Thanks!!!

Snow

Yup you got yourself a copy of the (in)famaous "Hong Kong" dub. It was an offical dub made around the same time as MeagZone 23 Part II's. They both have all English dialog with Japanese subs. This was later used to make the Bionoids video and also released as a dub with no subtitles under the Macross name.

Why did they do it? I've heard a bunch of different explainations, an English learning tool being the wackiest but most common, but who knows really...

Why did they dub it so bad when Megazone came out pretty decent? Hey, heck if I know.

As for polishing it up, well, there are LD's around that would give you a much better image, I got one off yahoo auction for $15, but really, you'd be better off with a straight DYRL DVD rip and the soundtrack added as an extra track.

I've been trying on and off for the last year and a half to dub the movie in an english version so much better then clash of the bionoids. Sadly, mixing everything for a 2 hour movie is a pain in the ass so I keep giving up.....I mean its alot of mixing and finding the perfect voices.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to buy that or a copy from you because I have been trying to merge clash of the bionoids into DYRL but its so painstakingly gruling .So far I,ve managed to only do 30 minutes of sync-ing and Iam no pro especially using this Videowave pro 7 with no functionality.Also the audio from bionoids is trashy inso far as its an old copy and the analog video is out of time with the dvd after awhile. all I want to do is watch the story in english.Please help I will pay 20 bucks the movie .Please email me at

geecie30@yahoo.com

Sorry so green but its news to me ,about this movies existence

Edited by geecie30

Sadly the chances of me EVER completing it are so slim to none :( I was going so far into making it english by even doing english lyrics to the original minmay songs I even had some vocal samples mixed in with some Kareoke and it sounded SO good, it wasn't Reba West crap, this was gold.

Almost completed a trailer too using an English adaption of Do You Remember Love?.......but that fell thru too......ugh.

All I've ever done were a few small scenes from the TV series.

No matter how many times I watch DYRL I never get tired of it. Its a freaken :ph34r:ANIME LEGEND:ph34r: a dub would be nice but original is always the best, if your going to dub get only Mari Ijima as Minmei, if its Reba West I aint watching it <_< . But just watch DRYL..

Edited by Dean

I always thoght it was one of three reasons:

1. Most likely: It was dubbed, like some anime films of that era, for trans-Pacific flights for ANA and JAL. Later, they decided the dub was good enough for a domestic Japanese video release.

2. About as Likely: Toho dubbed it in the hopes of an international release that never came about, thereby they sold it as an intersting gimmicky release to the Japanese market, from whence it found its way to the States as COT*gasp*B.

3. Less likely: It was commissioned as an English teaching tool. I guess they could have, but it sticks in my mind that Superspace Fortress was released to the general public, rather than as a school-specific release. Not to say that schools COULDN'T have snapped up some copies to use as English teaching aids...

I would love to buy that or a copy from you because I have been trying to merge clash of the bionoids into DYRL but its so painstakingly gruling .So far I,ve managed to only do 30 minutes of sync-ing and Iam no pro especially using this Videowave pro 7 with no functionality.Also the audio from bionoids is trashy inso far as its an old copy and the analog video is out of time with the dvd after awhile. all I want to do is watch the story in english.Please help I will pay 20 bucks the movie .Please email me at

geecie30@yahoo.com

Sorry so green but its news to me ,about this movies existence

327005[/snapback]

Geecie, check Rightstuf.com. They MAY still have a few copies of the full-movie dub (under the name "Macross") on VHS. Also look at Amazon.com as well. the full dub did come out to the US for a couple of years before HG pulled their "800-pound gorilla" act.

Edited by Pat Payne

As for polishing it up, well, there are LD's around that would give you a much better image, I got one off yahoo auction for $15, but really, you'd be better off with a straight DYRL DVD rip and the soundtrack added as an extra track.

323850[/snapback]

Which Yahoo did you get it off of?

I am an LD collector and would love to add that to my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the dub wasn't that bad. It was the first version of DYRL that I got to see so I'm still happy with it...

Clash of the bionoids brings back so many memories. I remember we used to try to pause the VHS right at the part where Hikaru fires away to kill the bag bad guy who's name I forgot how to spell.

When I watch it today, I still think it's cool and Roy Fokker's English voice totally cracks me up. "Deploy and form the suit!" "Just watch Jet Jockey in Action!" "You call yourself a man?" :D :D

Why did they dub it so bad when Megazone came out pretty decent? Hey, heck if I know.

323850[/snapback]

The MegaZone 23 II dub was done by Intersound in the US and had most of the voice cast from Robotech. I'm not certain, but I believe it was produced not too terribly long after MegaZone 23 was released as Robotech: The Movie, because it contained 10-minute ending Harmony Gold comissioned for Robotech: The Movie.