Aliens M577 APC a little closer to reality

That is a fine hardware concept. I'm amazed the thing can pack a dozen soldiers into it, especially because it looks so damn small. The manuverability is presented as quite revolutionary, but I'm more curious exactly how fast this thing can go and if the operating range is comparable to current units. In theory, the hybrid system should be more efficient and allow greater range. In practice, I'd like to know what that translates to in terms of kilometers on full fuel.

Comparing the AHED to the fictional M577, it looks much larger simply because the AHED wouldn't be as narrowly confined by design requirements like the drop ship :)

But all that fancy hardware goes out the door as soon as it takes a solid RPG or IED hit. I wonder how the armor is on them... and not what the pentagon says, I wonder how they will really stand up under fire. After all, the point of armored vehicles is the armor and not the fancy stuff...

... of course this is coming from an old 1AD grunt.

I guess the next closest thing would be the OICW. Which raises a curious point. If the M41A fires caseless rounds, then what (in the reality of the movie, that is, not in real reality - LOL) is being ejected when it fires? I think in this situation, caseless refers to non-jacketed ammo. I've just never been clear about this. Does it say anything about it in the USCM Technical Guide?

Androids, check

Powerloader, check

APC, check

Pulse Rifle, check

Erm...is it time to start running for the hills yet? The only thing we're missing are Xenos and WY, and I'm sure whatever company Microsoft absorbs next will qualify it for Weyland-Yutani... :ph34r:

Back on topic though, that thing really reminds me of the Stryker's concept...more mobile, easier to maintain, etc etc, however less well armed and armoured. Is it back to the battle taxi/APC concept like the M113 and not IFV like the Bradley?

So far we have:

the androids : see the story about the realistic looking robot girl

power loader : see the story about the exoskelton to increase strength

atmospheric processors : www.rainengineering.com biggrin.gif

apc from aliens : the ahed

Now show me the pulse rifle.

Androids, check

Powerloader, check

APC, check

Pulse Rifle, check

Erm...is it time to start running for the hills yet? The only thing we're missing are Xenos and WY, and I'm sure whatever company Microsoft absorbs next will qualify it for Weyland-Yutani... ph34r.gif

The pulse rifle was the caseless H&K G-11 that was under development in the '80s. It had a futuristic look, held tons of caseless ammo and given more development could have become the "pulse rifle" of the future... but alas... it sucked.

We already have an APC-like vehicle. The US Army's Stryker although may not look like the APC, is very similar. A commanding officer stays back in the vehicle and monitors the battle, giving orders from in the Stryker. All the tactical information is displayed on screens in the back. Sound familiar?

Also, they are working on hard armor that not only looked like the armor from aliens, but also monitors the soldiers heart rate, etc. The new armor combined with the technology from the Land Warrior program makes it very close to he M3 body armor used by the CM.

The dropship in not forgotten either. The Osprey is also very similar. However, it's not a spacecraft and it uses propellers. It only a matter of time till they upgrade to more advanced aircraft though. ;)

And then there's the pulse rifle. According to the Colonial Marines Technical Manual and M41-A Pulse Rifle Manual, the G11 and M41 are two completly different beasts. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they both fire caseless rounds. The rounds themselves are also very different. The closest thing we have out now, is the XM-29 OICW (unfortunately, last I heard, this project was canned). Also in the works is a grenade that can be fired from a regular shotgun, without the need for a grenade launcher attachment (check out the link here: http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?n...article&sid=741). Looks like we almost have a pulse rifle. Now we just have to wait till WY, Armat, and Matsucorp are established. :D

What I really want to see is a Particle Beam Phalanx and Sharp Sticks. :lol:;)

It's an interesting design, looks destined for the Brits. As for America, I've totally given up trying to follow what the hell we're making,developing,cancelling etc.

Navy and Marines get a lifetime supply of F-18 designs, however outdated or underwhelming or expensive they may be.

The vaunted Osprey, which I do like, is a design that dates back before most MW members were born. And it is perpetually "just about" to enter service, any year now, we'll see fleets of Osprey, yep, any year now, just you wait! (Meanwhile, Dinosaur helicopters fill the Army and especially Marine ranks, circa Vietnam vintage.)

Strangely, as demands on the U.S. military skyrocket, we're closing bases like crazy, cancelling weapons systems and shrinking orders for the few new items that actually made it past the political/bureaucratic gauntlet. And apparently, the budget's been growing? I wonder what the hell they're buying anyway?

You'd think armor resistant to RPG's and mines would be a priority, I'm sure we'll have it in service inside 50 or 60 years tops. (and the RPG dates back to the Panzerfaust from WWII, and STILL no defense against them.)