Robotech and HG license debates

...then wrylac tends to not fully trust the translation that has been proffered before him.  Oh well. :blink:

I don't think Wry trusts anyone's translation other than his own :D

.....but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Funny... specially considering this is his translation. :p

The translation is good, but in this case a specific term wasn't translated in a legal sense, I've proven my assertion to be correct. "individual right of author" = "Moral right" In fact I feel comfortable changing the translation to reflect that.

I've formatted the ruling for an easier read. Those of you that might have had a hard time understanding might want to take another look. Again, if you want a fomatted translation in MS Word just e-mail me.

Edited by wrylac

I'm sorry but I'm actually starting to fail to see how one company over the other can have rights to all derivatives.

Okay HG has the series and BW has the designs.

Say HG has the rights to the derivatives and they make a new series that features the VF-1. Shouldn't BW be able to say hey we got the rights to that design.

Say BW has the rights to the derivatives and the make a new series that features the VF-1. Shouldn't HG be able to say hey we got the rights to the VF-1 because it appears in our the animation.

Both have some rights and it's starting to seem impossible that one side or the other will ever be make a derivative without the other guy claiming that it is interfering with their rights. By owning the animation or designs one would think either of them alone is enough to make a derivative.

Maybe they eventually have to end up with a spilt rights to derivatives. It is starting to look like thats the only way. If one side alone has the rights then other can still claim that they are messing with their stuff. HG makes their new crap, BW makes their new crap. Neither steals the others new Crap, both can base their crap off the old crap that they each have.

Well Roy,

The one thing to keep in mind is that I don't believe there is any question that BW can make and distribute anything it wants within Japan. Maybe I'm wrong, and it is in dispute (between the companies, not here), but I don't think so.

The big question comes down to its authority to distribute those products internationally, at least without some form of go ahead from HG/TP (notwithstanding the previous releases).

Everyone seems to have forgotten something important. Something that NO court will overrule. That something is the fact that TP cannot make derivatives of Macross by the original contract made between BW and TP. This alone is enough to prove that the Macross franchise belongs to BW SINCE they and only they alone can make Macross derivatives. We can argue who owns what in the SDF-Macross copyrights, but where the rights to the derivatives are concerned, there is no question. All BW needs to do now is take TP to court over the derivative rights, something I'm sure is down the pipeline.

vinnie

I'm trying to find out why you say that TP cannot make derivatives of SDF Macross. I know that TP can't make animation's based on the designs used for SDF Macross. But, I've yet to see anything that says TP cannot make a derivative work of SDF Macross.

Because they haven't done any yet? Because they haven't tried to stop BW yet?

If you feel TP is in charge of derivatives, why haven't they stopped Macross Zero? Why haven't they taken BW to court to get their share out of Macross 7 and Macross Plus?

:rolleyes:

Actually, the appeal by BW of the Jan 03 ruling just failed on Sept 25, the reason for the recent Yahoo! Japan article, we haven't seen any of the repurcussions of this ruling yet.

I'm not talking about now. BW has been making derivatives for a long time, why didn't TP go after them back then? Why didn't TP stop the licensing of Plus and 2, and specially DYRL? ? After all.... while HG might not have been minding their stuff.... TP sure as heck was. <_<

Well, actually what's happening now is what's important. If the court felt that TP had abandoned the franchise it would have ruled that they no longer can control the copyright to SDF Macross. For what ever reason, I think it's Japanese cultural sentiment, TP has now challenged BW and won. Why they didn't in the past? Again, maybe they never felt that there was much of a Int'l market for Macross, as RT pretty much was known worldwide, maybe they never thought they could get BW to cooperate with them, but really we don't know.

But, it was the failure of BW's appeal finally on Sept 25 that has secured TP's copyright of SDF Macross, anything that happened before that is moot.

Edited by wrylac

OK some of this is giving me a headache...

Let's say Wrylac is right, that TP/hg does have the international rights and rights to make derivatives, but what can they do since BW has the line art and the UN Emblem? It looks to like both side would be relegated to an alternate universe type thing, without going into the other guy's "territory." TP can't have the Macross, the UN Emblem or later VFs anywhere, and BW can't call what ever new series Macross.

OK some of this is giving me a headache...

Let's say Wrylac is right, that TP/hg does have the international rights and rights to make derivatives, but what can they do since BW has the line art and the UN Emblem? It looks to like both side would be relegated to an alternate universe type thing, without going into the other guy's "territory." TP can't have the Macross, the UN Emblem or later VFs anywhere, and BW can't call what ever new series Macross.

Well....

at least from what Ive gathered is that HG WONT be using the UN Spacy Symbol ever again and the VF-1 Valkyries are all moot now anyway....the only exception MIGHT be the Robotech version of the VF-4....but I dont see it being used either. If somehow a prequel series to Robotech were made....the Zentraedi's ancestors probably were totally different (and micronized anyway) so Im not certain that Macross will have any bearing on the future of Robotech.

The future of the Macross franchise might require that both sides come to terms and work things out. Money talks....at least we hope it does.

I think the issue of the ownership of derivatives is far from settled, and I'm of the opinion that Bigwest will be granted the proverbial franchise license to Macross.

Why? There's the obvious reason that, until HG made a stink in 2000 causing BigWest to take legal action, Tatsunoko didn't say or do anything in regards to derivatives (except for direct or indirect involvement with DYRL) or the fact that they were being licensed outside of Japan without their supposed consent.

But there is other circumstantial evidence which could possibly lead to a BigWest controlled franchise:

A- BigWest has invested enormous amounts of money into the production, marketing, advertisement, etc. of Macross sequels and, essentially, the Macross franchise itself. To have the franchise stripped from them and handed to a company who hasn't cared to do anything about it would, in my opinion be an odd decision for a court to make.

B- Tatsunoko's abandonment of Macross could hurt any claim they make regarding ownership of the franchise. Tatsunoko was granted (at the very least) international distribution rights to Macross. When they transferred/sold/shared/licensed (no one really knows) those rights to HG, HG essentially ripped the heart out of the Macross story and used it for one part of the RT saga. Afterwards, Tatsunoko joined with HG in perpetuating RT, instead of Macross, by working with them on RT II: Sentinels. Now they are working with HG again on a new RT series as well. It's obvious that Tatsunoko has no intentions of ever continuing the Macross franchise as envisioned by it's creators. This is another reason why I believe that Bigwest will ultimately be allowed to continue the Macross franchise as they see fit.

Given, these are just personal opinions, and in no way reflect any legal precedence.

The simple fact is, Tatsunoko chose Robotech over Macross. I say let them have it.

edit: poor punquashion

Edited by the white drew carey

I think the issue of the ownership of derivatives is far from settled, and I'm of the opinion that Bigwest will be granted the proverbial franchise license to Macross.

Why? There's the obvious reason that, until HG made a stink in 2000 causing BigWest to take legal action, Tatsunoko didn't say or do anything in regards to derivatives (except for direct or indirect involvement with DYRL) or the fact that they were being licensed outside of Japan without their supposed consent.

But there is other circumstantial evidence which could possibly lead to a BigWest controlled franchise:

A- BigWest has invested enormous amounts of money into the production, marketing, advertisement, etc. of Macross sequels and, essentially, the Macross franchise itself. To have the franchise stripped from them and handed to a company who hasn't cared to do anything about it would, in my opinion be an odd decision for a court to make.

B- Tatsunoko's abandonment of Macross could hurt any claim they make regarding ownership of the franchise. Tatsunoko was granted (at the very least) international distribution rights to Macross. When they transferred/sold/shared/licensed (no one really knows) those rights to HG, HG essentially ripped the heart out of the Macross story and used it for one part of the RT saga. Afterwards, Tatsunoko joined with HG in perpetuating RT, instead of Macross, by working with them on RT II: Sentinels. Now they are working with HG again on a new RT series as well. It's obvious that Tatsunoko has no intentions of ever continuing the Macross franchise as envisioned by it's creators. This is another reason why I believe that Bigwest will ultimately be allowed to continue the Macross franchise as they see fit.

Given, these are just personal opinions, and in no way reflect any legal precedence.

The simple fact is, Tatsunoko chose Robotech over Macross. I say let them have it.

edit: poor punquashion

I don't think that BW has done as much with the Macross derivatives, at least not on an int'l scale. They've released very few things and have done little more than grant a few license. All the marketing and advertiment would have come out of the licencee's budgets. And production costs could easily be covered by any agreement they made with TP as well as any other costs about the toys or whatever. It's the int'l distribution that is in question not what's been happening in Japan.

I don't think that BW has done as much with the Macross derivatives, at least not on an int'l scale.  They've released very few things and have done little more than grant a few license.  All the marketing and advertiment would have come out of the licencee's budgets.  And production costs could easily be covered by any agreement they made with TP as well as any other costs about the toys or whatever.  It's the int'l distribution that is in question not what's been happening in Japan.

You can use the same criteria for HG in what they do for RT and licensing it out. I think you understand the point I was getting at in regards to BigWest's handling of the franchise, but you are intentionally being obtuse.

Let's try again, shall we?

What has been done, internationally, for Macross while under BigWest's control?

DYRL. Macross II. Macross Plus. License of Macross Plus toys to Toycom. Attempt to release VF-X2 in North America by Bandai (mind you, this was an actual working GAME, not a failed attempt like Crystal Dreams).

Sure, this is only a spattering of the multitude of products released under the Macross license under BigWest's control. True, most of which were never licensed internationally.

In case you doubt, go to MW Main and click on Ads, Books, Collectibles, Games, Magazines, Models, Music, Video, Toys or Unreleased.

Then try to tell me that BigWest hasn't done a lot for the Macross franchise.

Now, why wasn't all of this licensed internationally before? Probably because anime was simply a niche genre outside if Japan, especially here in the U.S. until the late 90's. I wouldn't doubt that the industry here in the states has grown tenfold, if not more, since then. Before that, only the biggest titles received a legitimate release (hmm... MacII and Mac+?). Other than that us fans had to rely on bootlegs and fandubs/subs.

But now, even titles 20 years old are being picked up and released officially here in the U.S. Sounds like a perfect chance for Macross to really go international, eh?

But right about the time that anime became mainstream (as well as extremely profitable) in the U.S. and Macross started gaining a surge in popularity, HG suddenly chimes in...

...FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER SINCE THEIR INVOLVEMENT WITH MACROSS...

...and suddenly says that they own everything Macross outside of Japan. DYRL, MacII and Mac+ simply "slipped by."

Does that sound a little convenient to you? Because it sure does to me.

I don't think that BW has done as much with the Macross derivatives, at least not on an int'l scale.

Isn't part of that because of hg going around saying the own everything Macross and doing what they can to block stuff from getting into the U.S.? I mean would you say BW hasn't done much internationaly if you could walk into a U.S. TRU and pick up a VF-11, or have the new Macross game reserved at an Electronic Botique type place?

Later, I'm going to do some formatting work to help make this more readable, however right now I'm tired. Anyone wanting a completely formatted MS Word verion of the translation feel free to e-mail me.

Ok, I'll take you up on the offer of the MS Word version wrylac...

Also, if anyone has a copy of Quadrono's full transalation (not the shorter one), please PM me. I'd like to have a full copy of both for comparison. I lost my copy of Quadrono's translation when my computer crashed.

I don't think that BW has done as much with the Macross derivatives, at least not on an int'l scale.  They've released very few things and have done little more than grant a few license.  All the marketing and advertiment would have come out of the licencee's budgets.  And production costs could easily be covered by any agreement they made with TP as well as any other costs about the toys or whatever.  It's the int'l distribution that is in question not what's been happening in Japan.

You can use the same criteria for HG in what they do for RT and licensing it out. I think you understand the point I was getting at in regards to BigWest's handling of the franchise, but you are intentionally being obtuse.

Let's try again, shall we?

What has been done, internationally, for Macross while under BigWest's control?

DYRL. Macross II. Macross Plus. License of Macross Plus toys to Toycom. Attempt to release VF-X2 in North America by Bandai (mind you, this was an actual working GAME, not a failed attempt like Crystal Dreams).

Sure, this is only a spattering of the multitude of products released under the Macross license under BigWest's control. True, most of which were never licensed internationally.

In case you doubt, go to MW Main and click on Ads, Books, Collectibles, Games, Magazines, Models, Music, Video, Toys or Unreleased.

Then try to tell me that BigWest hasn't done a lot for the Macross franchise.

Now, why wasn't all of this licensed internationally before? Probably because anime was simply a niche genre outside if Japan, especially here in the U.S. until the late 90's. I wouldn't doubt that the industry here in the states has grown tenfold, if not more, since then. Before that, only the biggest titles received a legitimate release (hmm... MacII and Mac+?). Other than that us fans had to rely on bootlegs and fandubs/subs.

But now, even titles 20 years old are being picked up and released officially here in the U.S. Sounds like a perfect chance for Macross to really go international, eh?

But right about the time that anime became mainstream (as well as extremely profitable) in the U.S. and Macross started gaining a surge in popularity, HG suddenly chimes in...

...FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER SINCE THEIR INVOLVEMENT WITH MACROSS...

...and suddenly says that they own everything Macross outside of Japan. DYRL, MacII and Mac+ simply "slipped by."

Does that sound a little convenient to you? Because it sure does to me.

I'm well aware of the multitude of Japanese products available for Macross, as well as the spattering of products that have been made available int'ly.

You seem to be upset about when HG became interested in Macross. Yet you make a very good case as to why they became interested in it at that time. TP/HG can simply say that up until the late '90s there was very little int'l interest in Macross as a franchise and saw little reason why they should invest time and resources into it. A court of law isn't going to tell them how they should have run their buisness.

HG waiting for a market to develop is just good buisness sense. I don't see how the timing of when HG showed interest in Macross matters to wether or not their interst is legitimate.

I don't think that BW has done as much with the Macross derivatives, at least not on an int'l scale.

Well, BW has done more on an international scale than HG has done domestically. And HG doesn't care about Macross stuff outside of the US (look at what has been released overseas, I'm pretty sure Tommy Yune even acknowledged the French release of Macross 7 Trash). Now, one thing that probably would have happened if it were Bandai as opposed to Yamato with the Mac+ valks is that they probably would have challenged HG over it. They could have just removed the friggin kite (UN Spacy would probably be considered fair use) and any mention of Macross and then just released the friggin thing and this thing (at least outside of the VF-1s and Flashback 2012) would have been resolved.

Well, BW has done more on an international scale than HG has done domestically...Bandai as opposed to Yamato with the Mac+ valks is that they (Bandai) probably would have challenged HG over it. They could have just removed the friggin kite (UN Spacy would probably be considered fair use) and any mention of Macross and then just released the friggin thing and this thing (at least outside of the VF-1s and Flashback 2012) would have been resolved.

Well I'm not exactly sure of all the legalities envolved with the latest ruling, but nemesis120 brings up a really great point.

If HG/TPs' rights are centered around SDF Macross, especially for the US Market, the later works like Macross II, Macross Plus and even Zero (to a certain extent) could be released Stateside with a little name and symbol change.

There are a ton of companies that 're-brand' products for release in other markets, both domestically and internationally.

Any of you folks that are closer (the white drew carey, wrylac) to this subject care to chime in?

***please note I edited nemesis120's post in the quote to draw attention to the point I wanted to touch on***

-b.

But why would Bandai need to replace the UN emblem, BW is the one that owns it. Shouldn't the both be able to use it provided hg only leaves it on the SDF Macross stuff? Like not put it on a Legioss or a ASC battleship.

And as for hg claming that the market was too small, that maybe true but isn't it their responsibility to keep out any "illegal" stuff. And I don't know much about economics but isn't it a bad idea to let the competition take root? And if they were right wouldn't all they'd need to do is send a C&D letter with the proof and that'll be the end of it, would be hard to do even undermanned?

Maybe they eventually have to end up with a spilt rights to derivatives. It is starting to look like thats the only way. If one side alone has the rights then other can still claim that they are messing with their stuff. HG makes their new crap, BW makes their new crap. Neither steals the others new Crap, both can base their crap off the old crap that they each have.

Maybe, but sadly, not in this universe, especially when Robert Woodhead had to break the news that we may never see a legitimate US release of Macross: DYRL because the licensing situation is so dramatically ****ed up that they can't even pay everybody for permission, because someone wants the entire pie.

It's this same kind of "who has the rights?" bullshit that sank any attempt to make new Bubblegum Crisis anime based on the 2032 storyline and designs -- Artmic, AIC and Youmex couldn't play nice in the sandbox. It's the same kind of BS that scared off most US lisencers from picking up Lupin III for the longest time without changing his name. This same BS cost the Beatles the rights to their own songs -- and thanks to them not "Com(ing) Together," now Whacko Jhacko owns them, not Sir Paul MacCartney. We have as much chance of seeing HG and BW co-exist peacefully as we did NATO and the Warsaw Pact -- it was only the threat of MAD that kept both sides from tearing each other apart, and I fear MAD is at work again.

Sorry about the rant on your statement, Roy, but I had to blow off some steam. In the end, this is all going to be, as The Butcher's Boy of Stratford said: "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I'm well aware of the multitude of Japanese products available for Macross, as well as the spattering of products that have been made available int'ly.

You seem to be upset about when HG became interested in Macross.  Yet you make a very good case as to why they became interested in it at that time.  TP/HG can simply say that up until the late '90s  there was very little int'l interest in Macross as a franchise and saw little reason why they should invest time and resources into it.  A court of law isn't going to tell them how they should have run their buisness.

Your rebuttal is very funny. Really.

You seem to be saying that it's perfectly OK for a company to completely ignore their rights being trampled and then only start making a beef about it once those rights show an acceptable level of profitability.

Sure, a court of law isn't going to tell them how to run their business. But it surely will chastise them for thinking the court is stupid if they try to use this as an excuse. Tatsunoko is a large corporation and I don't think a large corporation like that would allow Macross derivatives to be licensed internationally if, as HG claims, they hold those international rights... regardless of profitability.

HG waiting for a market to develop is just good buisness sense.  I don't see how the timing of when HG showed interest in Macross matters to wether or not their interst is legitimate.

Well, that's where you and I differ. I don't believe HG's weak excuses and their pathetic claims while you do.

If you propose to see the amazing coincidence of HG's "sudden awareness" as simply "Good Business Sense", than I fear for your understanding of how companies and corporations really work. HG's excuse of Mac+ "slipping by" is simply a weak attempt at placating the RT fanbase and not in any way an accurate reflection of the truth. Anyone who knows the facts will see this as a nothing but garbage. Garbage which cannot be held up in court because of it's own contradictory nature.

You seem to be upset about when HG became interested in Macross. Yet you make a very good case as to why they became interested in it at that time. TP/HG can simply say that up until the late '90s there was very little int'l interest in Macross as a franchise and saw little reason why they should invest time and resources into it. A court of law isn't going to tell them how they should have run their buisness.

HG waiting for a market to develop is just good buisness sense. I don't see how the timing of when HG showed interest in Macross matters to wether or not their interst is legitimate.

you must be running out of grounds to thread on. That was either the silliest or the most stupid post you have ever made.

vinnie

You seem to be upset about when HG became interested in Macross.  Yet you make a very good case as to why they became interested in it at that time.  TP/HG can simply say that up until the late '90s  there was very little int'l interest in Macross as a franchise and saw little reason why they should invest time and resources into it.  A court of law isn't going to tell them how they should have run their buisness.

HG waiting for a market to develop is just good buisness sense.  I don't see how the timing of when HG showed interest in Macross matters to wether or not their interst is legitimate.

you must be running out of grounds to thread on. That was either the silliest or the most stupid post you have ever made.

vinnie

Maybe you can tell me why you think it's silly.

vinnie

Maybe you can tell me why you think it's silly.

I think Drew more than took care of that for me or are you that dense?

vinnie

If you propose to see the amazing coincidence of HG's "sudden awareness" as simply "Good Business Sense", than I fear for your understanding of how companies and corporations really work. HG's excuse of Mac+ "slipping by" is simply a weak attempt at placating the RT fanbase and not in any way an accurate reflection of the truth. Anyone who knows the facts will see this as a nothing but garbage. Garbage which cannot be held up in court because of it's own contradictory nature.

Essentially though, it doesn't matter why either company failed to protect those rights, if they existed.

If HG does have rights to international distribution, as wrylac (and HG) contends, the failure to protect them only applies to those products that were released. Any future releases (such as the Yammies and Sunwards) can still be blocked. In other words, HG's and TP's failures regarding Mac+, MacII, DYRL, etc, don't matter if HG's contentions are correct.

A- I was pointing out that the scenario he presented would prove HG to be the lying company that it is and that evidence already exists that throws severe doubt on HG's claim of a big "Saban Headhunting Expedition" being the reason why previous Macross productions have been licensed outside of Japan without Tatsunoko or HG's inclusion.

B- My point, as a whole, is the assertion that Tatsunoko, nor HG, ever did anything in the past because they don't hold those rights.

All I'm saying is that the proof is in the pudding.

...BTW- What the heck doesn that mean, anyway?!? :huh:

A- I was pointing out that the scenario he presented would prove HG to be the lying company that it is and that evidence already exists that throws severe doubt on HG's claim of a big "Saban Headhunting Expedition" being the reason why previous Macross productions have been licensed outside of Japan without Tatsunoko or HG's inclusion.

B- My point, as a whole, is the assertion that Tatsunoko, nor HG, ever did anything in the past because they don't hold those rights.

I've said in the past that HG's excuse isn't the most concrete of reasons why they wouldn't have protected those rights.

But, if you click the link I've provided to Japanese copyright law, it expressly says that the owner of the copyright has exclusive right to create derivaties. As far as I'm concerned TP now has the ability to seek damages from BW.

It's a misquote. The actual saying is "The proof of the pudding is in the tasting." In other words, something's worth can only be told through actual experience.

As far as I'm concerned TP now has the ability to seek damages from BW.

Is that because the series were called Macross, aside from that and a few story line elements like references to Space War I, I don't see how that is so.

This is making me think of the dilema that the Xenosaga creators had since they're working for a diffrent company now then when they made Xenogears. They can't make direct references to Gears but have slight hints like names or character designs. The Zohar is still in it and two three characters bear a VERY strong resebelance to three Gears characters.

I've said in the past that HG's excuse isn't the most concrete of reasons why they wouldn't have protected those rights.

But, if you click the link I've provided to Japanese copyright law, it expressly says that the owner of the copyright has exclusive right to create derivaties. As far as I'm concerned TP now has the ability to seek damages from BW.

Do you in all seriousness think that's going to happen? I'm willing to bet that BW/Bandai continue to make M0 episodes and that TP at best starts airing Macross TV reruns and maybe releases it on DVD in Japan (after all, that's what they stated as being the intention of the suit). How does $100.00 sound?

I highly doubt that. If TP has the right to seek damages from Big West, then this goes back to the question of why TP did nothing while all of Big West's Macross deriviatives came out.

Do you in all seriousness think that's going to happen? I'm willing to bet that BW/Bandai continue to make M0 episodes and that TP at best starts airing Macross TV reruns and maybe releases it on DVD in Japan (after all, that's what they stated as being the intention of the suit). How does $100.00 sound?

Actually, Tatsunoko can't air SDF: Macross on TV or sell the DVD's in Japan. Regardless of the rights they have they are still bound by the Memorandum which basically puts BigWest in charge of the broadcast of the TV Series in Japan and Tatsunoko in charge of the int'l broadcast rights.

Do you in all seriousness think that's going to happen?  I'm willing to bet that BW/Bandai continue to make M0 episodes and that TP at best starts airing Macross TV reruns and maybe releases it on DVD in Japan (after all, that's what they stated as being the intention of the suit).  How does $100.00 sound?

Actually, Tatsunoko can't air SDF: Macross on TV or sell the DVD's in Japan. Regardless of the rights they have they are still bound by the Memorandum which basically puts BigWest in charge of the broadcast of the TV Series in Japan and Tatsunoko in charge of the int'l broadcast rights.

What he said...