Langley AFB Air Show!

While my sister and her family were still stationed at Langley AFB (my brother-in-law is a captain in the USAF), I was really hoping to get there to this year's airshow or one in the future so I could see the F/A-22 Raptor. Unfortunately, they are being sent to a base in Germany in about two weeks where they operate JUST F-16's and A-10's, so it looks like my plans won't come to fruition. :(

But my sister and her family did get to the air show a few weeks ago (this was my one year old nephew's first air show!) and they finally sent me some pictures of what I missed. :)

Starting with the Raptor! Unfortunately, the one on display was in a hangar, so it's not as good of pictures that my brother-in-law sent me a year ago December when an F/A-22 was visiting Langley as part of the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brother's flight at Kitty Hawk, but it's better then nothing. :)

Anyway, here's Picture 1!

post-26-1117679216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

The future of US military air power was there, too!

First of all, what I presume is a full scale mockup of Northrop's X-47B UCAV (I think the real deal is still being built). Notice how the leading edge center fuselage, and the air intake resemble a scaled down B-2. :)

post-26-1117679577_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

And here is a full scale of the current version of Boeing's X-47... I think it's the C model because I believe the B model was suppose to look like the A model which in term was based on Boeing's/McDonnell Douglas' "Brid of Prey". Note the JDAM hanging from the one weapon bay.

Whoever wins, Jack Northrop's dream of flying wing aircraft still lives!

post-26-1117679943_thumb.jpg

First of all, what I presume is a full scale mockup of Northrop's X-47B UCAV (I think the real deal is still being built). Notice how the leading edge center fuselage, and the air intake resemble a scaled down B-2. :)

I dont understand the cockpit on these two..is it "inside" that dark tunnel? If so wouldnt that be horrible visibility or do they mostly rely on cameras / video screens?

First of all, what I presume is a full scale mockup of Northrop's X-47B UCAV (I think the real deal is still being built).  Notice how the leading edge center fuselage, and the air intake resemble a scaled down B-2. :)

I dont understand the cockpit on these two..is it "inside" that dark tunnel? If so wouldnt that be horrible visibility or do they mostly rely on cameras / video screens?

THEY - ARE - UNMANNED!!! :D That's why there are no cockpits. :)

I love the F-22 Raptor...just the look of it says "Dont mess with us!"

As for the unmanned fighters, they look cool but future or not I'd still put my money on a real live ace then a machine.

I have bad luck with air shows.

The only one I ever wen to was in point Magu in 2002 or 2003 and a freaking F-4 phantom crashed when the air-show was just getting started, killing both pilots. Very sad. Then when we left, the guards were confescating everybodys video tapes. I hid mine.....hehehe!!!!!

Does anybody know when the next show will be in the west coast?

Edited by MGREXX

Then when we left, the guards were confescating everybodys video tapes. I hid mine.....hehehe!!!!!

[sarcasm] Your cup runneth over with intelligence. [/sarcasm]

Congratulations on being the one totally sick fu(k who had to keep his video of people dying... a proud day for you and your family.

Hey Richard, is Offutt doing an airshow this year? (most of the midwest shows have been cancelled), I may actually get up there for this one! I also have plans to attend NAS Oceana and watch VF-32 do the final Tomcat airshow demo :)

First of all, what I presume is a full scale mockup of Northrop's X-47B UCAV (I think the real deal is still being built).  Notice how the leading edge center fuselage, and the air intake resemble a scaled down B-2. :)

THEY - ARE - UNMANNED!!! :D That's why there are no cockpits. :)

/shrug wasnt mentioned in original post

i still think they should stick someone in the tunnel...just for fun

Besides how are you gonna make an Ace Combat 6 stick one of those in there and add pilot drama with no pilot???? Whats the military thinking !

Then when we left, the guards were confescating everybodys video tapes.  I hid mine.....hehehe!!!!!

[sarcasm] Your cup runneth over with intelligence. [/sarcasm]

Congratulations on being the one totally sick fu(k who had to keep his video of people dying... a proud day for you and your family.

Hey Richard, is Offutt doing an airshow this year? (most of the midwest shows have been cancelled), I may actually get up there for this one! I also have plans to attend NAS Oceana and watch VF-32 do the final Tomcat airshow demo :)

http://www.offuttairshow.com/AirShow/

Hope you can make it this year!

Hey Skull Leader,

First serve your country for 4 years in an Airborne Infantry unit and then you can talk poo about watching people die. You thrive on the very freedom that I and others like myself have fought to preserve, you ungrateful turd.

All my video showed was people running and medivac units rushing away because the crash was miles away, so you could barely see smoke, duh!!!!!

Edited by MGREXX

you have PM. No sense in subjecting everyone else to what you are about to receive.

pfft you should done that in the first place. now my head hurts watching you guys fight before you went pms.

back to topic. any closer and better shots of the weapon bay of the drone? its bit hard to see.

Great another good topic is going to get closed because MGREXX had to open his mouth to someone or someone opened it to him. For once can we be civil when he posts maybe there will be a good response from it. Not trying to slam you rexx or troll ya either it just seems to be a trend for bad sh!t to hapen when you post lately.

F/A-22. Cool. Best production fighter evAr.

Drone things: Look neat. Are these going to be intended for air to air.

Airshow disaster bit: Ok to keep the tape until the guy brought up military service. Uncouth to brag about it. Worthless to mention military service in this context unless one has a combat action ribbon to back it up.