262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

If I had to guess, people really are going to buy the PS3, regardless of price and performance, because it has the PlayStation brand. I also think they have enough of an installed user base to remain the market leader through the next-gen.

That said, though, they are going to lose ground with that kind of attitude, and more discerning gamers are going to see that the Xbox 360 will offer largely the same experience, and Microsoft is going to gain a lot of ground. They might not pass up Sony in the next round, but if the Xbox team continues to stay in touch with what the consumer actually wants (which, I believe is one of the reasons they've managed to do as well as they have), their third console could very well overtake the PS4.

As for Nintendo... their attitude seems to be totally different. A lot of people are giving them respect for focusing on games and keeping them fun and simple, but their reluctance to go after the mainstream market is going to keep them in third for some time to come.

Of course, these are just my predictions... feel free to post your thoughts!

No, I think your predictions there are pretty much on the mark.

All I have to add is that no Revolution for Europe untill 2007 just plain sucks. :angry:

I mean shouldn`t game consoles be about a games in first place, I mean why Sony is talking about multimedia may be they should call it Multimedia Station.

If Kutaragi continue to talk like this, he`d better be careful cuz I have a feeling MS3 I mean PS3 :lol: will get a kick.

Man even the game consoles they make`em complicated. At least IMO Nintendo`s position now like SNK`s Neo Geo cart system for certain fans or should I say hardcores. I`m just waiting for Sega to show weapon assault systems (games) :) like Outrun-2 for Xbox, man this game made me smile when I saw it, this was the real game.

You should have gone to E3 to see Sega Next gEn stuff behind close doors. They had Next Gen Virutal Fighter, Next Gen After burner, Next Gen Sonic, Next Gen House of the Dead, etc.. it was all real time, the guy was controlling Sonic, unlike Sony which was all video

Next-gen leaders talk about their consoles     

[It isn't a bad thing to have a high price. When we released the original PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($368), Nintendo's Super Famicom was in the 10,000 yen range ($100 range). Still, everyone went for the PlayStation. This time, ours [the PS3] will be like a BMW that's equipped with a Ferrari engine. Nintendo's [Revolution] will be something like a new model of a family car. Some people might want it, but if it was me, I'd want to advance to the next level. ]   

Ken Kutaragi

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/31/news_6126725.html

Holy flaming assgoblins, Batman!

Sheesh, the battle wasn't even SNES VS PlayStation.

It was PlayStation VS Saturn. And the PS won that battle PRIMARILY on price.

Edit: Bovine U's alumnus is back? Color me dissapointed.

Edited by JB0

[It isn't a bad thing to have a high price. When we released the original PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($368), Nintendo's Super Famicom was in the 10,000 yen range ($100 range). Still, everyone went for the PlayStation. This time, ours [the PS3] will be like a BMW that's equipped with a Ferrari engine. Nintendo's [Revolution] will be something like a new model of a family car. Some people might want it, but if it was me, I'd want to advance to the next level. ]   

Ken Kutaragi.  

True, the Saturn's US launch was screwy. BUt even after, Tom made weird choice after bad choice. And the advertising didn't help...Coneheads?

Ken Kutaragi

True, the Saturn's US launch was screwy. BUt even after, Tom made weird choice after bad choice. And the advertising didn't help...Coneheads?

One of the Saturn's primary problems was price, though.

Sony launched a hundred dollars cheaper, and Sega couldn't really afford to keep up, though they tried.

The PS1 was cheap hardware, the Saturn was dang expensive hardware, and Sega was bleeding red ink all over the place trying to keep pace with Sony's rapid-fire price cuts.

At one point, they actually asked retailers to sell the decks at a loss, in an attempt to stem the gushing flow of red ink.

That's when the Saturn lost most of it's shelf space, not surprisingly.

A friend of mine was saying that iwata sounded stupid. Heck at least he is focused on the GAMES. And Kutagari sounds pretty dumb. Why a ton of the sony fanboys are preaching this guys gospel is beyond me. BUt like I say just because you are on top now does not mean those beneath you cannot crush you in the future.

And this afterburner.....anyone got pics or movies of it? Afterburner RULED! I know Sega will come through with the new one...I am guessing it is for XBOX 360. Seems to me that Xbox360 and revolution are the more promisiing of the 3 consoles slated to come out. NOt everyones got the money to dish out for a BMW with a ferrari engine.

Ken Kutaragi.  

One of the Saturn's primary problems was price, though.

Sony launched a hundred dollars cheaper, and Sega couldn't really afford to keep up, though they tried.

The PS1 was cheap hardware, the Saturn was dang expensive hardware, and Sega was bleeding red ink all over the place trying to keep pace with Sony's rapid-fire price cuts.

At one point, they actually asked retailers to sell the decks at a loss, in an attempt to stem the gushing flow of red ink.

That's when the Saturn lost most of it's shelf space, not surprisingly.

True on the price but, the surprise launch alienated retailers not included. Some vowed not to even carry Saturn afterwords like KB Toys. They cut their market at half at launch by not including half the retailers out there, and the higher price when PSX launched helped no further.

A friend of mine was saying that iwata sounded stupid. Heck at least he is focused on the GAMES

I do have serious issues with Iwata. It's like if he keeps saying that Nintendo is about fun and innovation, maybe people will start to believe it. And now they're on this "simplifcation" kick...

There's a big gap between people that enjoy games that take time and playing skills, and people that don't.

It's almost like Iwata wants to screw the serious gamers in favor of delivering dog-petting sims for non-gamers.

And Kutagari sounds pretty dumb.

He doesn't sound dumb to me, just really arrogant. His comments on the PS3 can be basically boiled down to, "We can do what we want, and charge what we want for it, and you will all buy it, because it's PlayStation."

I think one of the reasons why I'm leaning a little more toward Microsoft for the next gen than the other two is because Microsoft is the only one that really seems to be paying attention and trying to give gamers what they want instead of trying to dictate that their product must be what gamers want.

True on the price but, the surprise launch alienated retailers not included.  Some vowed not to even carry Saturn afterwords like KB Toys.  They cut their market at half at launch by not including half the retailers out there, and the higher price when PSX launched helped no further.

Yah. And the fact that the software wasn't ready didn't help either.

It was one error after another after another. Largely because Sega Japan was pissed that Sega America made the Genesis a success, which Sega Japan failed to do with the MegaDrive.

Everything Sega America tried to do was over-riden by Sega Japan.

Edited by JB0

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.a...bsectionid=1587
"People sort of picked on us for not prematurely jumping into online or internet gaming," he mused, going on to point out that now the company has more to offer besides online gaming. Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free.

Free downloadable games is such a bad idea and its going to spell doom for Nintendo. <_<

You should have gone to E3 to see Sega Next gEn stuff behind close doors. They had Next Gen Virutal Fighter, Next Gen After burner, Next Gen Sonic, Next Gen House of the Dead, etc.. it was all real time, the guy was controlling Sonic, unlike Sony which was all video

If by next gen House of the Dead you mean HotD with a shotgun peripheral then I am so there! : D

"People sort of picked on us for not prematurely jumping into online or internet gaming," he mused, going on to point out that now the company has more to offer besides online gaming.

I don't criticize them for not "prematurely" jumping into anything. I'd criticize them for always being late into the game. They can't honestly argue that, had they developed some sort of online structure for the Gamecube, that it would have taken anything away from what they plan to do with the Revolution.

Free downloadable games is such a bad idea and its going to spell doom for Nintendo.

Free downloadable games is a nice touch, but it's hardly a system seller. If all I really cared about was old games, I'd probably still have those old consoles hooked up. Besides, emulation has been around since I was in high school, and by now, it seems like almost anything that can play games can emulate. If the Revolution is really going to succede, it's got to have it's own kick-ass games. Supposedly, just about every Nintendo franchise under the sun has a title in the works for the Revolution, which sounds promising, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see some concrete details (not to mention if they won back any of their third party support).

Yah.

I'm starting to take a perverse joy in seeing him issue statements. First the "PSP IS A WORK OF ART, IT'S NOT BROKE, WE WON'T CHANGE IT! Oh, my bad. We did change it." speil, now this. He's a stage away from being a stand-up comedian.

Free downloadable games is such a bad idea and its going to spell doom for Nintendo.

Free downloadable games is a nice touch, but it's hardly a system seller. If all I really cared about was old games, I'd probably still have those old consoles hooked up. Besides, emulation has been around since I was in high school, and by now, it seems like almost anything that can play games can emulate. If the Revolution is really going to succede, it's got to have it's own kick-ass games. Supposedly, just about every Nintendo franchise under the sun has a title in the works for the Revolution, which sounds promising, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see some concrete details (not to mention if they won back any of their third party support).

I know it is a good idea but it has a pretty big BUT there. If Nintendo makes it a main selling point, like they certainly seem to be doing (along with the ever so illusive evolution of gaming), its going to bite them back in the ass. People will buy the PS3 and the Xbox360 for current generation games while the Rev will only be bought because people want some nostalgia, while the the current gen games will be left for the moths.

Hell, who wouldn't want to pay $150 and get more then 2k free titles no matter how old they are?

A friend of mine was saying that iwata sounded stupid. Heck at least he is focused on the GAMES

I do have serious issues with Iwata. It's like if he keeps saying that Nintendo is about fun and innovation, maybe people will start to believe it. And now they're on this "simplifcation" kick...

Hey, simplification can be a good thing.

Take, for example, Mars Matrix(mainly because it's a damn fun game). The arcade game has exactly one fire button. This one button controls 3 seperate and distinct actions. Biggest problem: If your finger lingers down too long, you accidentally activate your shields.

The Dreamcast port added a rapid fire and charge-beam rapid fire button, greatly simplifying the game and reducing accidental shield activation.

That's also something that kept me from getting into fighting games back when Street Fighter 2 was the biggest thing in the industry. There's just too much there to memorize. I play them every now and then, but quite bluntly, I suck. I know a few basic moves, but extended combo chains, counter-combos, etc. are beyond me.

Of course, it all depends on WHAT you simplify.

Dumbing down an RPG or strategy title is generally a Bad Thing. Cleaning up an action game can generally only improve it.

There's a big gap between people that enjoy games that take time and playing skills, and people that don't.

It's almost like Iwata wants to screw the serious gamers in favor of delivering dog-petting sims for non-gamers.

There's a lot of serious gamers that are interested in Nintendogs, actually.

Either way, though... it's among the the best-selling games in Japan currently, so the plan is sound.

I'll skip it, mainly because I've done the virtual pet thing already. My sister did Dogz and Catz on the PC for a long time, and I tried it then.

While I'm SURE Nintendogs is better-implemented than those were, I'm strongly of the opinion that real dogs are more interesting.

I like the fact that Nintendo is trying diffrent things.

Even if some of them stink.

He doesn't sound dumb to me, just really arrogant. His comments on the PS3 can be basically boiled down to, "We can do what we want, and charge what we want for it, and you will all buy it, because it's PlayStation."

See, he DOES sound arrogant. But the whole PS1/SNES comparison makes him sound dumb too.

I think one of the reasons why I'm leaning a little more toward Microsoft for the next gen than the other two is because Microsoft is the only one that really seems to be paying attention and trying to give gamers what they want instead of trying to dictate that their product must be what gamers want.

Funny, that's how I feel about Nintendo. :p

Funny, that's how I feel about Nintendo.

Nintendo is starting to develop an undeserved reputation for being the choice for the "hardcore" gamer, simply because they refuse to go after the mainstream the way Sony and Microsoft have, and because unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is only in videogames.

From what I've been reading, Nintendo is definately NOT paying attention and trying to give gamers what they want. In fact, a lot of Iwata's comments have me thinking that Nintendo is actually after casual gamers and non-gamers. I'm hearing a lot of stuff about how they want parents to see what their kids are playing, and be able to pick it up and play it themselves.

It's true that Nintendo has been able to put out a lot of software that almost anyone can enjoy... but if all a console has are games like WarioWare and Nintendogs, that's not enough for me.

I know it is a good idea but it has a pretty big BUT there. If Nintendo makes it a main selling point, like they certainly seem to be doing (along with the ever so illusive evolution of gaming), its going to bite them back in the ass. People will buy the PS3 and the Xbox360 for current generation games while the Rev will only be bought because people want some nostalgia, while the the current gen games will be left for the moths.

Hell, who wouldn't want to pay $150 and get more then 2k free titles no matter how old they are?

Keep in mind that only the Nintendo 1st party titles are guaranteed to be free.

Keep in mind that only the Nintendo 1st party titles are guaranteed to be free.

Right, but still.

If by next gen House of the Dead you mean HotD with a shotgun peripheral then I am so there! : D

If you meant HotD 3, the one that uses shotguns in the arcade, it's been out for Xbox for a while. Don't remember if the Xbox port has a shotgun style light gun for it though...

HotD2 sold the Dreamcast for me. However, 3 didn't sell the Xbox for me.

If you meant HotD 3, the one that uses shotguns in the arcade, it's been out for Xbox for a while. Don't remember if the Xbox port has a shotgun style light gun for it though...

HotD2 sold the Dreamcast for me. However, 3 didn't sell the Xbox for me.

Oh, well I don't have an Xbox and currently have no intent towards owning one so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens for HotD.

As good as those games are there's no way I'd consider a lighgun game as reason for buying a whole new machine.

The only games that have had that effect on me are the Metal Gears which is why I know I'm going to end up with a PS3 sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info though Jollyrogers. :D

Funny, that's how I feel about Nintendo.

Nintendo is starting to develop an undeserved reputation for being the choice for the "hardcore" gamer, simply because they refuse to go after the mainstream the way Sony and Microsoft have, and because unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is only in videogames.

I'm going by what I see.

Even idiotic stuff, like putting a deathmatch mode into Metroid Prime 2 because so many people complained that Prime 1 didn't have one.

From what I've been reading, Nintendo is definately NOT paying attention and trying to give gamers what they want.  In fact, a lot of Iwata's comments have me thinking that Nintendo is actually after casual gamers and non-gamers.

It's a logical move. I still think Nintendo wants the hardcore market too, though.

I'm hearing a lot of stuff about how they want parents to see what their kids are playing, and be able to pick it up and play it themselves.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

It's true that Nintendo has been able to put out a lot of software that almost anyone can enjoy... but if all a console has are games like WarioWare and Nintendogs, that's not enough for me.

But that's NOT all they do.

And I LIKE WarioWare.

Admittedly it's not 30$ worth of like, but...

I have no problem with Nintendo wanting their box to appeal to, rather then frustrate parents.

My little brother has his own GC, it sits in the front room wired up to the same television that has the sky box and the dvd player.

My dad sees it as a nuisance exactly as Iwata has said but my Mum can quite often be found happliy enjoying a game of Pikmin, Warioware or even Zelda.

She does however, very rarely touch my PS2.

The point of that little ramble is that it isn't unrealistic or even a bad idea to try and pitch their box to a wider auidence.

If that box now includes wireless instant pick up and play controllers, wireless internet and free classic games I can definately see it becoming more attractive to people who are forced to endure it's presence regardless.

Oh, well I don't have an Xbox and currently have no intent towards owning one so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens for HotD.

As good as those games are there's no way I'd consider a lighgun game as reason for buying a whole new machine.

The only games that have had that effect on me are the Metal Gears which is why I know I'm going to end up with a PS3 sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info though Jollyrogers. :D

I already forgot, but is Xbox 360 backwards compatible like its competitors? If so, that might make it a more attrative choice for you.

I didn't know Sega ported HotD 3 to the Xbox and released it in the States until it's been out for a while, when I saw a floor demo of it at the local Fry's. I guess it was too gory to be carried by most mainstream stores. :rolleyes:

I was heavily into the original HotD when the lightgun bundle of HotD2 for the Japnese Sega DC came out. After I bought it I had to get the console. This was before the system's US launch. :lol:

Cool writeup on Perfect Dark Zero for the X-box. The initial screens looked terrible, but there was the requisite "its just running at 25%" statements, so we'll see. Anyway, some of these features look good:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=351281

Highlights:

-They will have co-op over xbox live, maybe with four players. Also, the counter op mode is back, allowing you to play through the campaign while your buddies play the bad guys.

-The motorcycle can have a driver and a gunner on the back. There's a hovercraft that can seat as many people that can fit on it. They can all shoot but one person can man "a very powerful gun on the back."

-The levels are huge as we know, about 12 times as big as "sidewinder" from halo 1. You can also lay down "waypoint markers" for your teammates to see.

-The cover system sounds cool, and reminds me of the gears of war deal. You press A to take cover, then you see your reticle. Aim it where you want, and when you press the R trigger, you pop up in first person perspective and shoot. Release R to return to cover.

The only games that have had that effect on me are the Metal Gears which is why I know I'm going to end up with a PS3 sooner or later.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info though Jollyrogers.  :D

I already forgot, but is Xbox 360 backwards compatible like its competitors? If so, that might make it a more attrative choice for you.

I didn't know Sega ported HotD 3 to the Xbox and released it in the States until it's been out for a while, when I saw a floor demo of it at the local Fry's. I guess it was too gory to be carried by most mainstream stores. :rolleyes:

I was heavily into the original HotD when the lightgun bundle of HotD2 for the Japnese Sega DC came out. After I bought it I had to get the console. This was before the system's US launch. :lol:

Yeah, 360 is backwards compatible allright but Revolution is my first choice and as I said I'll end up with a PS3 eventually as well.

I just don't fancy owning more then two current consoles at a time.

I had (still have) HotD2 for DC, I brought DC when it first came out here in the UK and eagerly awaited HotD2. I wasn't dissapointed. :lol:

Actually, MS has been vague about the backwards compatible portion. First it was no. Then after Sony announced back catalog of PS1 and PS2 with PS3,at E3 they were "pleased to announce" backawards comp with "the top selling XBox games". So, I assume that means Halo and Halo 2...maybe a few others. Until they announce exactly HOW it will do it I'm skeptical on that one. Out of the box or add on like Bleem(which does not define backwards compatible with me).

Actually, MS has been vague about the backwards compatible portion. First it was no. Then after Sony announced back catalog of PS1 and PS2 with PS3,at E3 they were "pleased to announce" backawards comp with "the top selling XBox games". So, I assume that means Halo and Halo 2...maybe a few others. Until they announce exactly HOW it will do it I'm skeptical on that one. Out of the box or add on like Bleem(which does not define backwards compatible with me).

I'm betting that it's built-in emulation, and while it will accept all games, they're just only GUARANTEEING it will run the best-sellers(to avoid the sort of complaints that dinged the PS2 early because some games didn't run and others ran but had sever glitches).

Sony eventually worked all that out, didn't they? My PS2 has never had any issues running any PS1 games or DVDs (regardless of how dubious the origins may be). I can only surmise that I've yet to try a game in question, or mine is a late enough production model that most of those kinks were worked out.

Microsoft would be a damn fool not to include backwards compatibility. I may not be a Halo fan, but even *I* can see that there would still be plenty of money to be made on "greatest hits" Xbox1 games (Mechassault seems to be another popular set, and I'm sure others are out there). I could've married Sony for coming up with that concept for their PS2. I had a large selection (since toned down to a select few) of PS1 games that I still regularly played even AFTER I got my PS2.

Sony eventually worked all that out, didn't they? My PS2 has never had any issues running any PS1 games or DVDs (regardless of how dubious the origins may be). I can only surmise that I've yet to try a game in question, or mine is a late enough production model that most of those kinks were worked out.

Nah. It was a select few games that had issues.

I could've married Sony for coming up with that concept for their PS2.

Was Atari's idea first. 7800 ran 2600 titles. :p

As far as mainstream systems go, the Genesis was backwards-compatible with the Master System, as was the GameGear. And the GameBoy family was backwards compatible all down the line(GBA>GBC>GBO).

Sony was just the first company to have one mainstream home system be compatible with another mainstream home system.

Actually, MS has been vague about the backwards compatible portion.  First it was no.  Then after Sony announced back catalog of PS1 and PS2 with PS3,at E3 they were "pleased to announce" backawards comp with "the top selling XBox games".  So, I assume that means Halo and Halo 2...maybe a few others.  Until they announce exactly HOW it will do it I'm skeptical on that one.  Out of the box or add on like Bleem(which does not define backwards compatible with me).

I'm betting that it's built-in emulation, and while it will accept all games, they're just only GUARANTEEING it will run the best-sellers(to avoid the sort of complaints that dinged the PS2 early because some games didn't run and others ran but had sever glitches).

Well, I hope so because they really didn't sound too hopeful.

Same with the HD DVD/Blu-Ray format. They said, "we haven't announced anything yet". I'm pretty sure they did. DVD-ROM, nothing else. Since there's no one HD standard disc yet, I understand the statement, but the console will launch in November. I don't think they will add this and keep it at $300.

Or am I to believe that once whatever format emerges, that all of a sudden my 360 will be able to accept an add on to take advantage?( not likely) Or that once it's a standard, all "new" 360's will have a new drive. I've been told by Microsoft fans that this is the best way to go...and they "applaud MS for doing it like this... upgradeable console...umm, I'm not buying a PC, and I'm not buying a new drive for the console. I don't know how they would implement future HD DVD/Blu Ray into your DVD 360.

I'm not bashing MS, just that their post E3 comments raised my eyebrows a bit. You can promise the world, but this isn't even like tech demos that show off what a machine can do (and is up to developers to duplicate). This is cold hard stuff that is either there or is not. It almost sounded like, " Huh? Oh yeah...well...yeah we can have that too, sure!!"

As for the backwords compat for PS2...very few PS1 games had problems running on it so I was happy.

Edited by Gaijin

Same with the HD DVD/Blu-Ray format. They said, "we haven't announced anything yet". I'm pretty sure they did. DVD-ROM, nothing else. Since there's no one HD standard disc yet, I understand the statement, but the console will launch in November. I don't think they will add this and keep it at $300.

Or am I to believe that once whatever format emerges, that all of a sudden my 360 will be able to accept an add on to take advantage?( not likely) Or that once it's a standard, all "new" 360's will have a new drive. I've been told by Microsoft fans that this is the best way to go...and they "applaud MS for doing it like this... upgradeable console...umm, I'm not buying a PC, and I'm not buying a new drive for the console. I don't know how they would implement future HD DVD/Blu Ray into your DVD 360.

My bet: It'll be DVD-ROM for it's entire life, estimated at 5 years.

No big deal, really. Most current games aren't using half the capacity of DVDs anyways. Why use a more expensive disk and then HOPE that it's the one that becomes standard?

And upgrades tend to not go over very well. Even when they ARE commercial successes, people look back and talk about how horrible an idea it was. Often the same people that were, at the time, complaining because the competition wasn't releasing similar upgrades.

Nah. It was a select few games that had issues.

I could've married Sony for coming up with that concept for their PS2.

Was Atari's idea first. 7800 ran 2600 titles. :p

As far as mainstream systems go, the Genesis was backwards-compatible with the Master System, as was the GameGear. And the GameBoy family was backwards compatible all down the line(GBA>GBC>GBO).

Sony was just the first company to have one mainstream home system be compatible with another mainstream home system.

I guess I knew other companies worked that way too. Admittedly, I discounted atari, because in my earliest days I could never keep track if just which atari we had... probably the 2600. I never knew about the Genesis back-compatibility with the master system... I HELLA would've kept my Phantasy Star 1 and original Double Dragon if I did!

I guess Sony was the first ones to make a serious selling point of it... and it worked! :)

Same with the HD DVD/Blu-Ray format.  They said, "we haven't announced anything yet". I'm pretty sure they did.  DVD-ROM, nothing else.  Since there's no one HD standard disc yet, I understand the statement, but the console will launch in November.  I don't think they will add this and keep it at $300.

Or am I to believe that once whatever format emerges, that all of a sudden my 360 will be able to accept an add on to take advantage?( not likely) Or that once it's a standard, all "new" 360's will have a new drive.  I've been told by Microsoft fans that this is the best way to go...and they "applaud MS for doing it like this... upgradeable console...umm, I'm not buying a PC, and I'm not buying a new drive for the console.   I don't know how they would implement future HD DVD/Blu Ray into your DVD 360.

My bet: It'll be DVD-ROM for it's entire life, estimated at 5 years.

No big deal, really. Most current games aren't using half the capacity of DVDs anyways. Why use a more expensive disk and then HOPE that it's the one that becomes standard?

And upgrades tend to not go over very well. Even when they ARE commercial successes, people look back and talk about how horrible an idea it was. Often the same people that were, at the time, complaining because the competition wasn't releasing similar upgrades.

True, most games don't use a full DVD, but that doesn't mean future ones won't. When CD-ROM came out, it was said by developers at the time it would never be needed (600+ MB's!!), and would only be good for redbook audio.

Xenosaga 2 was 2 DVD's, Ace Combat 5 was crammed to capacity...having more won't hurt in the long run. True, it won't mean better games, but if you give them more than they need it's better than them having to cram, cut, or take out stuff in a few years. Dual Layer DVD's...sure, but even nowadays, some movie studios try to avoid them and go for 2 discs.

I agree 100% on the upgrade path...which is why I think MS is just blowing smoke on the Blu-Ray/HD DVD support.

Edited by Gaijin