Macross Game for the GBA

Bub

Why the japanese feel cellphones are a valid gaming platform is beyond me.

Cell phones are great, if like me you like to travel light and hate carrying around half a dozen different electronic gadgets at once, but do like to play a game occasionally, or listen to MP3s while travelling.

My philosophy is why carry around a seperate portable game machine, a digital camera a PDA an MP3 player and a cell phone when you can have them all in one convenient package.

I'm in love with my cell phone. I can play games on it, call people, listen to MP3s or the radio, use it as an organiser, take photos with it etc, etc.

While it's true the phone doesn't do these applications as well as a dedicated device, the lower performance is more than made up for by the convenience, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm not a hardcore gamer and I'm quite happy with a simple game on my phone, like Tetris or Space Invaders. Although saying that, some of the phone games are pretty good, especially some of the Doom type games.

If I want to play the latest and greatest games, I'll wait until I get home and play them on my PS2.

The only things I like to carry with me are my wallet, my phone and a paperback novel in my back pocket.

Oh, and what were we talking about again?

Graham

Why the japanese feel cellphones are a valid gaming platform is beyond me.

Cell phones are great, if like me you like to travel light and hate carrying around half a dozen different electronic gadgets at once, but do like to play a game occasionally, or listen to MP3s while travelling.

My philosophy is why carry around a seperate portable game machine, a digital camera a PDA an MP3 player and a cell phone when you can have them all in one convenient package.

I'm in love with my cell phone. I can play games on it, call people, listen to MP3s or the radio, use it as an organiser, take photos with it etc, etc.

While it's true the phone doesn't do these applications as well as a dedicated device, the lower performance is more than made up for by the convenience in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm not a hardcore gamer and I'm quite happy with a simple game on my phone, like Tetris or Space Invaders. Although saying that, some of the phone games are pretty good, especially some of the Doom type games.

If I want to play the latest and greatest games, I'll wait until I get home and play them on my PS2.

The only things I like to carry with me are my walet, my phone and a paperback in my back pocket.

Oh, and what were we talking about again?

Graham

I'm more of a gamer.

And a tad more oldschool, too, both in my tastes(favorite GBA game is Frogger on Konami Arcade) and electronics philosophy.

Be it games, music, photos, whatever, I prefer to have a device that does one thing, and does it well.

Because, sometimes if you're a jack of all trades you're a master of none. You could, of course, invest a good bit of time and money to get something that comes rather close if you care. Depends on how much you're willing to invest in a piece of hardware.

For me, that's my computer. It's got the clocks, it rocks like that. B)) Everything else I kind of like specialized.

Screenshots are all wrong for GBA.

That's a cellphone game. Why the japanese feel cellphones are a valid gaming platform is beyond me.

Because in Japanthe user base of all video game consoles or PCs is eclipsed by the huge amount of people who own cell phones. Release a small game for a cheap price, bound to make some money.

Screenshots are all wrong for GBA.

That's a cellphone game. Why the japanese feel cellphones are a valid gaming platform is beyond me.

Because in Japanthe user base of all video game consoles or PCs is eclipsed by the huge amount of people who own cell phones. Release a small game for a cheap price, bound to make some money.

Well, I understand that japanese cellphones are also a fair bit more powerful than US ones, making modern games a possibility(though the lack of a gaming quality input device hinders them, so :p ).

And I don't even see why US phones are as powerful as they are. I like the cheap phone with the crappy black&white screen that gets 5x the battery life. :p

Graham

If ya dont mind me asking.

What kinda phone do you have chief?

I have been checkin specs for a while now, cannot decide...

I have the same philosophy....getting a device/phone that can do it all is actaully a child hood fanatsy...guess technology finally caught up with all us dreamers.

NOW if the military would just put legs/pillars on a VTOL..we can get this valk thig going......

If ya dont mind me asking.

What kinda phone do you have chief?

Just upgraded from a Nokia 6230 to a Nokia 6230i. 32mb internal memory, supports up to 512mb MMC cards (although some people have successfully used 2gb cards), 1.3 megapixel camera for still pics & movies, mp3 player, radio etc (check Nokia site for full specs). It's a nice compact phone that does everything I want. I prefer smallish, or normal size phones rather than those PDA size monstrosities.

I'm so far resiting the urge to jump on the 3G phone bandwagon. I don't really want to watch movies or TV on my phone, although the video calls could be fun.

Graham

about the only game I've downloaded to my phone so far is Tetris (I had Splinter Cell for a while, but I think I deleted it). I'm kinda like JB0 on this one. When I game, I don't like to think about millions of people moving around me... too many distractions. About as distracted as I will allow myself to get when I play video games is the pointless banter of my closest friends who may be over and the smell of the double-pepperoni pizza that was just delivered. :)

Consoles... DEFINATELY the way to go :)

about the only game I've downloaded to my phone so far is Tetris (I had Splinter Cell for a while, but I think I deleted it). I'm kinda like JB0 on this one. When I game, I don't like to think about millions of people moving around me... too many distractions. About as distracted as I will allow myself to get when I play video games is the pointless banter of my closest friends who may be over and the smell of the double-pepperoni pizza that was just delivered. :)

Consoles... DEFINATELY the way to go :)

But I do portables too.

I just like hardware that was DESIGNED to play games.

Tends to perform the task a bit better, and have a better input configuration on top of it.

Jack of all trades, master of none doesn't do it for me.

Similar argument for cellphone cameras. Sure they're convenient. They're also low-res, and have crappy lenses(even if they buy them from a good manufacturer, there's not room for the multiple elements of a half-decent full camera lens). I'd rather have a standalone camera that takes decent photos.

While it's always nice to have the newest and best toys, often you will not have them with you, when you want or need them.

While my stand-alone digital camera far outperforms the camera on my phone, I don't always carry (or want to carry) my camera with me everywhere I go, but my phone will always be with me for those times I want to take a snap shot of something.

Same thing applies to handheld games. While I'm sure a GBA or PSP has far better games and performance than my cell phone, I'm not an avid enough gamer that I want to carry around yet one more piece of hardware. Yet, on those times when the urge does strike me to play a game, my cell phone will always be with me.

In the end it all boils down to personal choice and a trade off of Convenience vs performance. My own choice is that most of the time I'm happy enough to accept slightly lower performance for the convenience of only having to carry around one peice of electronic hardware, instead of 3 or 4.

Graham

While it's always nice to have the newest and best toys, often you will not have them with you, when you want or need them.

Not necessarily newest and best.

While my stand-alone digital camera far outperforms the camera on my phone, I don't always carry (or want to carry) my camera with me everywhere I go, but my phone will always be with me for those times I want to take a snap shot of something.

Admittedly, I'm not big on quick snapshots.

Same thing applies to handheld games. While I'm sure a GBA or PSP has far better games and performance than my cell phone, I'm not an avid enough gamer that I want to carry around yet one more piece of hardware. Yet, on those times when the urge does strike me to play a game, my cell phone will always be with me.

It might could give a GBA a run for it's money. Not sure what the high-end phones are capable of AV-wise.

But I get easily annoyed by sub-optimal controls.

I just won't play a shooter if I don't have a joystick available anymore. I've tried before, and I just get frustrated by the gamepad interfering with my game(which it does, I consistently perform signifigantly better with a stick than a pad in that sort of game)

Admittedly, most of my annoyance with cellphone gaming is that the cellphones have some exclusive titles that I want(Dang it Namco! Port that Tales game to something else!).

In the end it all boils down to personal choice and a trade off of Convenience vs performance. My own choice is that most of the time I'm happy enough to accept slightly lower performance for the convenience of only having to carry around one peice of electronic hardware, instead of 3 or 4.

Graham

Fair enough.

I've taken a heck of a lot of pics of my baby with my cell phone camera when he decides to do something cute, which I would otherwise have missed due to not carrying my regular camera with me.

And cell phone cameras are getting better. The one on my current phone is 1.3 mega pixels, 1280x1024 pixels resolution, takes pretty good pics in daylight. Not so good at night though and no flash :( .

Of course cell phone cameras (with the electronic shutter noise turned off) are great for taking upskirt shots of cute miniskirt-wearing girls standing in front of you on the escalator (or so I've been told). :p

Graham

Of course cell phone cameras (with the electronic shutter noise turned off) are great for taking upskirt shots of cute miniskirt-wearing girls standing in front of you on the escalator (or so I've been told). :p

Boy. A simple question can go a long way.

Anyway, I've ever encountered a camera phone that can turn off the electronic shutter sound. ;)

Go on, go on... :lol:

I've taken a heck of a lot of pics of my baby with my cell phone camera when he decides to do something cute, which I would otherwise have missed due to not carrying my regular camera with me.

Good! Cute baby pictures are great things, and anything that increases the odds of getting one is good.

Honestly, I'd be less likely to have the cellphone on me than a dedicated camera in most situations.

Dun make much use of phones. And yes, I gather that I'm in the minority here.

And cell phone cameras are getting better. The one on my current phone is 1.3 mega pixels, 1280x1024 pixels resolution, takes pretty good pics in daylight. Not so good at night though and no flash  :( .

Yah.

Personally, I prefer a bit higher resolution. Gives me room to crop the image later, as well as just having more detail.

And as I said, there's still no room for a really good lens, which is one of the big things holding them back currently. It's hard to get a very sharp image with the limited lens spae.

Of course cell phone cameras (with the electronic shutter noise turned off) are great for taking upskirt shots of cute miniskirt-wearing girls standing in front of you on the escalator (or so I've been told).  :p
*chuckles*

Yes, so you've been told. I'm sure this is all word-of-mouth. :p

Man, you guys should take a look at the Japanese cell phones right now. I got one since I'm gonna be over here for a while and WOW, it got me all mad seeing how much I paid for my Motorola V551 when it is severely underpowered when compared to my SO506iC. You can put in Sony memory sticks to store very, very good camera shots, video or MP3s as well as games. This thing is poo-hot and I didn't have to pay much money for it. Man Japan rocks a lot more since I'm over here now. B))

Honestly, I'd be less likely to have the cellphone on me than a dedicated camera in most situations.

Dun make much use of phones. And yes, I gather that I'm in the minority here.

I'm the opposite. I can't remember to take my camera with me even if I know in advance I'll want to take pictures. But I don't go anywhere without my Samsung A670. Of course, I don't even have a home phone anymore...

I just like hardware that was DESIGNED to play games.

Tends to perform the task a bit better, and have a better input configuration on top of it.

Jack of all trades, master of none doesn't do it for me.

I agree whole heartedly. If I'm going out somewhere, and I know I'm going to have time to kill, I bring my GBA or my PSP. But I've often thought it'd be handy to have a little game in the phone for those times when I arrive somewhere early (especially the movie theater) and I wind up with unplanned time to kill.

Now the thing to remember with Japan, sure, there are people with GBAs, DSs, or PSPs... but seriously EVERYONE has a cell phone in Japan. You could be the most handsome guy at school who's good at everything and a member of all the popular clubs, but never get a date because you phone's not cool enough.

And Japan is a country full of people with time to kill. Everyone in at least Tokyo will spend a significant portion of their lives riding buses, trains, and subways. Games for cellphones are a market that was almost taylor made to fit that lifestyle. That's why their phones are so ahead.