All things Ridley Scott

EXO

I can't believe it, am I the only one here that has watched his first movie 'The Duellists'?

Nobody else seen it and think it's a good movie?

Graham

Is it the one where Harvey Keitel(sp?) is a Napoleonic officer hell bent on killing Keith Carradine? If so, I remember it being pretty good.

Yep, that's the one.

Graham

Guest Bromgrev
I can't believe it, am I the only one here that has watched his first movie 'The Duellists'?

Make that the only two. Possibly on the same laser disc. B))

I'm gonna have to go out and find a Matchstick Men DVD, now. And, man, those Hovis ads were Ridley Scott? I never knew that. And here I'm eating toasted Hovis as I type.

Guest Bromgrev
... wonderful soundtrack that doesn't get annoying anytime

Ridley Scott + Vangelis = Perfection. Uuuunh ... Nurse! My bag! :wacko:

And then there's the people that think it's boring but liked the flying cars.
Like Iron Maiden in their 'Somewhere in Time' DVD cover booklet. Actually, I'm pretty sure they didn't find it boring, though ...

%5CdbImages%5C25768_2.jpg

Wait a sec. You are giving him way to much credit. Sure he is a great director but influencial?........no.

How about these flops and duds:

White Squall.... :o:o:o

Legend.........ok

GI Jane......... <_<<_<<_<

Clay Pigeons....... :huh::huh:

Hannibal....... :angry::angry:

Matchstick Men....... :lol::lol::lol:

1492: Conquest of Paradise.......... <_<<_<

Now, he has jus released Kingdom of Heaven and guess what, it's yet another craptacular movie. Ridley's best movies are Alien and Blade Runner.

Face it, the title of most influencial director and even better yet, greatest director of our times goes to THE MAIN MAN himslef, Steven Spieldberg.

I think Scott is a good director most of the time and occasionally subject to flashes of brilliance, when he becomes a great director.

As mentioned above, he has had his fair share of flops as well as successes.

Personally, there are only 4 of his movies that I like enough to buy the DVD or watch them more than once, these being: -

1) Blade Runner.

2) Alien.

3) The Duellists.

4) Blackhawk Down.

Although his swords n' sandals epic Gladiator was pretty good, despite a very dodgy CGI Rome, I didn't like it enough to go out and buy the DVD.

I haven't seen Heaven & Earth yet and don't intend to see it at the cinema, although I may rent it later. Although I don't normally put too much faith in reviews, I've been hearing a lot of negative feedback that this movie is far too politically correct.

Graham

G.I Jane was a great film... Scott really pulled some acting chops from those people. Viggo pretty much stood out saide from the fact Demi Moore looked bad ass.

Speilberg is a great director. He problaby influences a lot fo people to become film students and directors. But technically most of what influences his audience and fans are taken from other great directors. he's a master of putting together a great film... but I consider Scott to be more inventive. Just like James Cameron is really inventive... If James Cameron put out more movies I think he could have been right up there also. Technically he's a master, but he's the opposite of Speilberg... storywise he's just not there yet. And frankly I think he took a step back with Titanic, cuz the Abyss was a better movie than that.

And liking films based on their popularity is really weak. Like Graham said, the duellist is an excellent film. And White Squall was also very good. It's just not what people wnt to see. But the story was gripping and like always the filming was perfect were you felt like you were actually there. it's a lot better than the Perfect Storm.

When 1492 came out there was another Christopher Columbus movie that came out from Alexander Salkind. It's a shame that you have to compare those 2movies to see what a great movie 1492 was. But again... it didn't have the star power and interest that pulled people in. But is that any measure of what makes the movie good? I believe that The Mission with Robert Deniro was a way better movie than that though when it came to the colonizing of the Western Hemispere. Ridley Scott isn't perfect. But my point is to show that he's a lot more influential than people give him credit for. The guy sneezes and genres are reborn if not created.

But I don't expect anyone that uses smileys as sentences to get my point... if you can't get your opinion written in words you are beyond reproach. Please don't use this thread to bait me. Another thread was already locked because of people with different agendas.

Guest Bromgrev

Rodley Scott is a master of atmospheric film. Probably why I don't like his 'normal' setting films. Actually, the atmosphere in 'Legend' is about the only thing I like about that film. And Tim Curry. And Mia Sara in that black dress ...

aleg47a.jpg

Rodley Scott is a master of atmospheric film. Probably why I don't like his 'normal' setting films. Actually, the atmosphere in 'Legend' is about the only thing I like about that film. And Tim Curry. And Mia Sara in that black dress ...

aleg47a.jpg

mmmm... mia sara....

Have youread that script before they shot it? It's insane. Mia Sara's charactrer was suppose to have a cat's head in that scene. I'm glad it ws changed.

Actually, his "normal" setting films have plenty of atmosphere to it to. Thelma and Louise had the desert dust and heat that was constant and was part of the story.

I remember in 1492 when his crew's shoulder where scorched from the heat and there was steam rising of them.... pretty cool stuff. But the atmosphere is like a character in his films. Michael Bay's films are always shot beautifully, but lack so much in character and belivability that it's just wasted. Blade Runner was poorly received by critics but eventually redeemed itself on its own. Pearl Harbor will never have that chance. When I got the VHS at Fedco for $5 I swear I thought I was the only one that liked that movie. I thought I was the only one that liked Legend and I'm not sure apart from a few people on this board that said that they have how big an audience it has. I even like Tom Cruis in it. Everytime I see a Final Fantasy VG where the hero has a ridiculously huge sword, it always brings me back to the scene where Tom cruise lifts his sword and it was obviouly too big for him. I always wonder if they got it from Legend.

I am not basing films on their popularity. I saw them and gave my opinion.

Did I mention The Duellists? No, because I thought it was a godd film. White Squall was not good.

I suggest you stop trying to bait me into lashing out and putting you in your place AGAIN because you can't hang. I am just giving my opinion instead of relying on explosions and eye candy to peak my interest.....and trying to make fun of others because of a lack of education. One more thing. Smileys don't gauge a persons intellect, it's their education. School, it does a body good. B))

Now, back to the topic:

Ridley Scott.......great director ;)

James Cameron......great director ;)

Steven Spieldberg......The greatest.

Why?

His movies are indeed more than good stories. Most of his movies have been ground breaking. He has excellent plots, excellent actors, excellent sets and a vision that gives him the ability to draw us all into a movie both visually and emotionally.

Edited by MGREXX

Ridley Scott's title as a great filmmaker and his influential work more than speaks for itself; the credit I give him is well deserved. Any filmmaker makes more than his share of duds, Spielberg included (1941, Always, Hook, Lost World, etc). Personally, I find more value in the way films propell foward film and explore new territory with innovative techniques in structure, style, and subject matter. Why, because it is ultimately those few directors that demonstrate expertise in those areas that set the tone not only for all film, but actually allow new films to be made that were not possible before.

I do admire and appreciate the old school directors like Lucas, Coppola, Spielberg, Scott, Cameron, Mann, Stone, and many others. Their places in film history and their contributions to film as a whole will be noted and well remembered. But for every success they may have, there will always be others who create works those older directors never could have done themselves.

Could you see someone like Lucas directing Memento? Coppola directing Trainspotting? Spielberg directing Fight Club? Stone directing The Matrix? There is too much great film made and yet to be made to start establishing one director's monopoly upon all film.

Granted that commercially, Spielberg is easily one of the most influential talents. Artistically, his contribution to film isn't even in the top tier. Who would those most influential filmmakers be? I'd have to place the likes of Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Lucas, Welles, Kubrick, and several others in the top list. The sheer number of films whose direct lineage can be traced to the work of these directors and the influence these directors have had on all film is beyond measure. Sadly, I think Ridley would be out as well. Though his work has influenced several directors who quote him by name and an entire genre of monster films, his greatest contributions to film are mostly limited to cinematography and science fiction.

But I still love ya Ridley! :)

Edited by Mr March

Hey, just saw Kingdom of Heaven and I liked it. Very good movie....not great.

SPOILER: My question is this: I was late and missed the first couple minutes.....can anyone fill me in up to the point where Bloom's character killed that man in the beginning just before meeting Liam Neeson?

Hey, just saw Kingdom of Heaven and I liked it. Very good movie....not great.

SPOILER: My question is this: I was late and missed the first couple minutes.....can anyone fill me in up to the point where Bloom's character killed that man in the beginning just before meeting Liam Neeson?

wife commits suicide, they bury her.

Blooms daddy comes home, does the whole "I am your father bit" and asks him to come with him to Jerusalum.

Priest tells Bloom's character something very nasty that pisses Bloom's character off enough to spear him and toss him into a flaming pit.

Hey, just saw Kingdom of Heaven and I liked it.  Very good movie....not great.

SPOILER: My question is this:  I was late and missed the first couple minutes.....can anyone fill me in up to the point where Bloom's character killed that man in the beginning just before meeting Liam Neeson?

wife commits suicide, they bury her.

Blooms daddy comes home, does the whole "I am your father bit" and asks him to come with him to Jerusalum.

Priest tells Bloom's character something very nasty that pisses Bloom's character off enough to spear him and toss him into a flaming pit.

Thanks for the help! I kind of figured that was what happened but wasn't for sure....thx again!!!