1/72 X-9 Ghost

Grayson72

Well I thought this would be an interesting kit to build, I don't think I've seen anyone else post pics of a completed one here.

This was a very simple kit to put together but quality was definately sub-par, especially considering this is an original. Poor fit and lots of bubbles added hours to this build.

The kit didn't come with any decals so I yet again had to dig into my spares box.

post-3-1115586166_thumb.jpg

Pic 4

In this pic you can see that I left some shine on the top hatches to help break up the red. The panels on the rear thrusters also have this effect.

post-3-1115586319_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Pic 5

I used the Alclad Steel metalizer for the gunports and aluminum for the intakes. I love that paint.

post-3-1115586413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Great work Grayson72. The surface looks very smooth and the detailed areas are perfecty finished. I can´t spot any flaws - considering all the air bubbles you mentioned this must have been a long and hard work to get it to this level of perfection!

I really love the paint job with the flat red and the shiny accents on some panels. Did you use just plain red with a flat coat or is it somehow toned down? A red finish no matter how well applied does often look toyish IMO - maybe because you don´t see it that often in real life - but your Ghost´s red is perfect! The metalizer paints add to the realism and make it even more believable.

Is the front "eye" /sensor a clear piece and maybe even lit from behind? You definitely have the skills to bring out the best of a kit no matter how basic/flawed it is in the beginning!

Can´t wait to see what you make out of that old VF-1 D!

Really glad you all like it, thanks for the nice comments.

honneamise - the color is just plain red with a coat of dulcoat on top. The front light is just chrome silver paint with a light coat of Tamiya clear blue on top.

Cheers :D