XBOX 360?

Ladic

IGN's take on the leaked Xbox 360 info.

The last page, where they show the leaked picture from ourcolony.net and compare it to the other leaked photo of the hard drive has me thinking that the concave design that Ladic first posted might actually be the real thing.

Edited by mikeszekely

Well that's a matter of opinion. There are/were alot of horrible 2D games.

Most 2D games age better though. 3D PS1/Saturn and N64 look horrible now.

Exactly, remember all those horrible side-scrollers on the SNES? There's always been crappy games, it's not like the games industry is going "downhill" or anything.

I'm not too excited about the next generation of gaming. I'm still enjoying what we have now. Do X-Box gamers feel the need to upgrade?

I think XBOX is fine right now. The graphics are great and the system is hitting its stride in software.

As for 3-D graphics, the only games that I play that need the upgrade are sports games and racing games. Those two genres have been enhanced significantly by 3-D graphics. I remember playing NFL 2K football for the first time on the Dreamcast - - it was so much better than any other sports game on a 2D level.

What I play the most though, are 2D games or games with 2D gameplay. 2D just has the most responsive game play and is probably the most expressive. I was always a fan of 2D art (comics, anime, etc), so new gen games that combine 3D graphics on a 2D playing field are fine with me. Examples: Gradius V (Treasure is just god-like), Viewtiful Joe series, Rtype Delta, etc...

I'm upset that the upgrade cycle is coming so soon as I feel that the 3D games with 2D style graphics and gameplay haven't been fully tapped yet. There's a lot of potential for those types of games.

Another advantage for the Xbox : 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/26/news_6122984.html

SNK is an advantage for the XBox? Cool to have that niche market, but in terms of sales KOF isn't going to do jack squat for the XBox.

Ah KOF Re-Bout was alright. The remake was slow when compared to the original. The new 3-D back grounds didn't do much. The original NEO-GEO version is on the PS2 import as well.

KOF is a hard sell(so are the rest of SNK games) in the US. You can blame SNK for barely updating KOF the last 10 years. I don't blame SCEA for not wanting to release 2-D games like this individually (especially since SNK wanted to charge full price 39.99-49.99 for each individual title). They really ain't worth it and I'm a fan.

I do want to pick up KOF Neowave. If no(most likely) US PS2 release, I'll import.

Nintendo lost Square because they didn't care about them.

No, as I recall, Square went with Sony because Final Fantasy VII was impossible on a cartridge. The bad blood was less because of some beef that Square had with Nintendo, and more Nintendo being unhappy that Square had broken ties with them and handed their new rival a smash hit.

FF7 needed CDs because Square moved to the PS.

Remember the early hype where they were rendering FF6 chars on a SGI workstation?

They were serious about N64 support until Sony made them a good offer.

And Nintendo didn't get mad when Square left. They got mad when Square, seeing they didn't get mad, came back and talked Enix into leaving.

If you're rational. The people that bought PS2s on launch day were buying them because they were PlayStations.

Which isn't entirely irrational. It isn't only the launch games that matter... it's the potential games throughout the entire life span of a console. People who wanted a PS2 just because it was a PlayStation were obviously very satisfied with the original PlayStation. Despite the dissapointing technical limitations of the PS2, chances are most of those early adopters wound up satisfied.

I know I wouldn't be satisfied paying a hundred bucks more than everyone else(minimum, I don't even want to THINK about the thousands they were going for on eBay) AND getting a notoriously unreliable model of deck in the process.

Personally, I got the system that had not the most good ones, but the BEST ones.

I'd rather have a few masterpieces than a lot of not-bads.

I'm a gamer. I don't watch much TV, because I'd rather play games. I confine my reading to after I go to bed but before I fall asleep, because given the choice, I'd rather play a game. To that end, a handful of "masterpieces" aren't going to cut it for me, because once they're done, they're done. A dozen 8 and 9's are better to me than 5 10's, because that's 7 more games to keep me entertained.

I'm hurt that you would accuse me of not being a gamer.

I've got a dozen diffrent systems hooked up right now.

I've got over a hundred carts for my 2600 alone.

And I don't watch TV much either. But it's because there's not much worth watching.

Of couse, that's assuming that the Gamecube had the most masterpieces... which it hasn't.  I can't think of a single game on the Gamecube that really even held my interest.  The only games on the Cube I even bothered to finish was Megaman Network Transmission and the Rogue Squadron games.

On the PS2, I absolutely loved the Onimusha series, the Ace Combat games, the Megaman games, Z.O.E, God of War, and the Shin Megami Tensei games.  I also prefer racing games on the PS2, and did greatly enjoy the Need for Speed games as well, although I realize that they were also available for Gamecube.  And for the Xbox, I might not have liked Halo as much as some people, but it was still a fun game, and I also loved Jade Empire and the Knights of the Old Republic games.  Also, I prefer sports games on the Xbox because of the hard drive, although sports games for me really means Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

I admitted it's personal preferences.

The games I wanted included such things as PN3, which has been drug over the coals more times than I care to count.

Also a strong argument for a Nintendo system.

As I said, in my opinion it doesn't have the most good games, but it DOES have the best games.

Again, not a big fan of Nintendo's first party games. Haven't liked a Mario or Zelda since the SNES days. Actually, my favorite Nintendo franchise these days would be Pokemon...

*twitch*

I loathe Pokemon.

And honestly, I was never a big Mario fan even in the NES days.

But what Capcom's been doing to the once-proud Megaman franchise makes me sad.

...and if Nintendo would happen to get out of the hardware market, wouldn't a Pokemon game on the PSP be grand?  Just speculating, mind you, as I doubt that Nintendo would quit cranking out handhelds anytime soon, even if they quit making home consoles.

If they did, and then they made it "thugged-up" to shake the kiddy image, I'd buy it just for laughs(same reason I bought Street Fighter 2010).

I know I wouldn't be satisfied paying a hundred bucks more than everyone else(minimum, I don't even want to THINK about the thousands they were going for on eBay) AND getting a notoriously unreliable model of deck in the process.

An extra hundred bucks for an extra year of gaming. Fair enough to me. And, for the record, my launch PS2 still works fine. If I can get a backwards compatible Xbox 360, and if Perfect Dark Zero is a launch game, I'll be happy enough.

I'm not saying that you're not a gamer. The fact that you're posting in this thread says you are. I'm just saying that I'm really hardcore about my gaming... most games I pick up, I finish within a week. When one game's done, I need another. I'm not saying that Nintendo doesn't make some good games, but I am saying that even if I thought Nintendo had the best games, I'd still need more. That's actually why I bought all three systems.

While not for everyone, emulating dead systems really cleaned up my living room. I've only got so much room in my apartment. I have a friend, though, who still has a lot of those old systems. Too bad I never actually see him playing games...

*twitch*

I loathe Pokemon.

Ah, once you get around the ridiculous marketing blitz, the inane anime, and the sacharine monsters, Pokemon is actually an amazingly addictive game. The rumored Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and the new Castlevania are actually the only reasons I haven't sold my DS.

As for Mario, I loved his 2D games (aside from Super Mario Bros. 2), but I can't stand his 3D stuff.

That's how I felt about Megaman Legends.

Seriously, Battle Network isn't so bad. It's a fun little remix. It's just a shame that Capcom is beating it to death.

I still enjoy the X series, although even I was dissapointed by X7. Give X8 a try, though. My only real complaint about this series is that changing directors have pretty much ruined continuity.

For real Megaman redemption, though, definately check out the Megaman Zero games. Truly an excellent series. I just finished the Japanese version of the fourth in the series... without any spoilers, I'll say that it's a great place to stop and port a collection over to the PSP...

An extra hundred bucks for an extra year of gaming. Fair enough to me. And, for the record, my launch PS2 still works fine. If I can get a backwards compatible Xbox 360, and if Perfect Dark Zero is a launch game, I'll be happy enough.

Congratulations, you're in the minority as I understand things.

I still don't see how it was worth the hassle to grab one on launch day.

But we can at least agree that hte eBay people were morons, right?

I'm not saying that you're not a gamer. The fact that you're posting in this thread says you are. I'm just saying that I'm really hardcore about my gaming... most games I pick up, I finish within a week. When one game's done, I need another. I'm not saying that Nintendo doesn't make some good games, but I am saying that even if I thought Nintendo had the best games, I'd still need more. That's actually why I bought all three systems.

Ah.

I've never been good enough to clear games out very fast, even when I did sink massive amounts of time into them.

Combine that with mild ADD, and I tend to hop around from game to game.

Also ben leaning heavily towards arcade games lately. My current tastes tend towards things you can just sit down and blow stuff up for a few minutes.

While not for everyone, emulating dead systems really cleaned up my living room.  I've only got so much room in my apartment.  I have a friend, though, who still has a lot of those old systems.  Too bad I never actually see him playing games...

He's made the transition from player to collector, eh?

And yah, emulation is nice.

Thing I've found is the systems I most want to emulate just aren't emulated well.

The existing 5200 emulators, especially. They're embarassingly bad hackjobs.

*twitch*

I loathe Pokemon.

Ah, once you get around the ridiculous marketing blitz, the inane anime, and the sacharine monsters, Pokemon is actually an amazingly addictive game.

I approached it as a run-of-the-mill RPG. Was decidedly unimpressed with the game, and found party management to be more of a nuisance than anything else.

I've got my copy of SNK VS Capcom Cardfighers Clash. It seems to do for me what Pokemon does for a lot of other people.

As for Mario, I loved his 2D games (aside from Super Mario Bros. 2), but I can't stand his 3D stuff.

Irony: Super Mario 2 is the one I enjoy the most.

That's how I felt about Megaman Legends.

Seriously, Battle Network isn't so bad. It's a fun little remix. It's just a shame that Capcom is beating it to death.

I dodged Legends, thankfully.

My feelings about Battle Network... it's a fun enough game, but I bought it expecting something more like Network Transmission.

Yeah, yeah, I should've done some research first. But ... it's a Megaman game. Megaman games are platform shooters.

I still enjoy the X series, although even I was dissapointed by X7.  Give X8 a try, though.  My only real complaint about this series is that changing directors have pretty much ruined continuity.

When did the X series have continuity? :p

It was always sort of tenuous from day one, really. Being cast as a sequel to the original series left them with some uncomfortable plot holes.

Most notably: X is the first robot that can think for himself. Rock volunteered to be converted into a fighting robot. Volunteering requires you can think for yourself.

Protoman also seemed to do a lot of independent thinking, while we're at it.

Pity they won't do any more original Megaman games. I sorta wanted to see them try and transition from Rock to X without crashing.

I'm still hovering at X6, for what it's worth. Haven't played 7, 8, or Command Mission. CM is really the only one that interests me right now.

For real Megaman redemption, though, definately check out the Megaman Zero games.  Truly an excellent series.  I just finished the Japanese version of the fourth in the series... without any spoilers, I'll say that it's a great place to stop and port a collection over to the PSP...

Tangentally related: I think Capcom secretly hates me.

Ever since Marvel VS Capcom came out, I've been insisting they need to put Zero in. Then when they do for SNK VS Capcom, they use the Megaman Zero character design. I wanted oldschool Zero.

Of course, oldschool Zero probably suffered enough gender confusion without Demitri putting him in a dress.

SNES characters should NOT wear nipple armor and a ponytail unless they want to be flagged as girls(X4 came as something of a shock to me, what with the voices and everything...).

Edited by JB0

Perhaps, but there are enough to get stores to sell out. But hey, everyone can't be an early adopter. Otherwise, you'd have 10 million people trying to buy a system at launch, and then no one would want to buy one for the next five years.

Oh, absolutely. If they wanted it badly enough to pay upwards of $1000 for it, why didn't they want it badly enough to preorder it somewhere and save themselves a lot of money and a lot of hassle? Well, I'll just take it as proof that heath care in America is good, and that natural selection isn't working so well.

Pretty much. I mean, his basement is like a treasure trove of dead systems, and he's constantly scouring flea markets and Goodwills looking for rare gems... that he'll never play.

Thing I've found is the systems I most want to emulate just aren't emulated well.

I mostly emulate NES and SNES. I haven't really bothered to emulate older systems, mostly because I can't remember where the games I liked were. When I was very young, I had an Atari 800XL, a Commodore 64, and an Odyssey. I've checked out a few Atari 2600 Atari games, and frankly, I can't believe people actually played them.

That seems to be the way it usually goes. People either love 2 and are lukewarm on the rest, or they like the others and aren't keen on 2. Personally, I loved 3.

Most notably: X is the first robot that can think for himself. Rock volunteered to be converted into a fighting robot. Volunteering requires you can think for yourself.

I try to think of it this way... the robots in the orignal series had very advanced AIs. They had preprogrammed personalities, and were able to analyze situations and make decisions based on their programming. Rock volunteered to fight against Wily because Light programmed him with a sense of right and wrong and the idea that he should help others. That creates an illusion of independant thought, but they actually lack a free will.

In the X series, X, Zero, and the Reploids may or may not start with some base programming and personality, but they truly have a free will, and they can grow and evolve beyond their original programming.

In other words, Rock fights Wily because his programming concludes that he should. X fights Sigma because he truly believes its the right thing.

What made me like Nintendo was Konami in the first place NOT Nintendo games. My best Nintendo games till today are Mario-2, Mario World und Zelda-Link to the Past.

I hate to admit but the Xbox has the best joypad (S-Type) unlike Sony.

I uh, concur :lol:

When I bought my NES, the first 3 games I bought with the system (Aside from Super Mario/Duck hunt that came bundled), were Contra, Jackal and Metal Gear.

Funny thing is, the reason I ever owned a NES, was because my brother at the time collected Gi Joe Comics and on the back would see the adds for Metal Gear, and wasnt sure what it was but looked cool, and so bought the system.

What made me like Nintendo was Konami in the first place NOT Nintendo games.  My best Nintendo games till today are Mario-2, Mario World und Zelda-Link to the Past. 

When I bought my NES, the first 3 games I bought with the system (Aside from Super Mario/Duck hunt that came bundled), were Contra, Jackal and Metal Gear.

Funny thing is, the reason I ever owned a NES, was because my brother at the time collected Gi Joe Comics and on the back would see the adds for Metal Gear, and wasnt sure what it was but looked cool, and so bought the system.

It was all about Capcom for me. Megaman and Rescue Rangers! I do have fond memories of Dragon Warrior 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, and Castlevania 3, though. And the versus mode in Trojan was kind of like a very early Soul Calibur...

What made me like Nintendo was Konami in the first place NOT Nintendo games.  My best Nintendo games till today are Mario-2, Mario World und Zelda-Link to the Past. 

It was all about Capcom for me. Megaman and Rescue Rangers! I do have fond memories of Dragon Warrior 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, and Castlevania 3, though. And the versus mode in Trojan was kind of like a very early Soul Calibur...

I only had Dragon Warrior 1 and loved it.

I had TMNT 1 but never liked it much, but I loved the 2nd one, but never owned it.

Also had Castlevania 2, never owned the others.

And Trojan goes on without saying, one of the best Arcade games of all time IMHO.

I've checked out a few Atari 2600 Atari games, and frankly, I can't believe people actually played them.

Back then computers were kind of mysterious and things were expensive and slow and very clunky. I still have fond memories of loading up my old commodore 64 games on Tape which tok like 10-15 mins to load a crappy game. By the time the game loaded you couldn't be bothered wanting to play. :D The atari did have some ok gameplay for a system with such limits back then. The kind of games that are truly timeless classics are ones that are surprisingly non-resource hungry. ie pacman, space invaders, breakout, asteroids, even a starwars game that mimmicked the classic arcade game 'Defender'. Think of these as the 'Tetris' or 'Super Bomberman' of thier era. Simple, no-frills graphics or sound, or even any animation, but yet even with all the limits, surprisingly addictive even to this day! Keep in mind it was either this or those pinball machines that were popular in the 70s. There was also this 4 player game called Warlords that was surpringly addictive. You used paddles instead of a joystick and had to wreck your opponents barriers on the side of the screen by throwing this white ball on the screen at various angles to kill the centre which resulted in thier death. You could bounce the ball off your body like tennis game, or just catch it when an opponent tried to use the walls to attack vulnerable parts of your shield. Many hours spent playing and loving this game.

What killed atari (and the very reason nintendo were able to resurrect the game industry after gaming died out as a mere fad due to pacman fever) was very poor quality control. Games like ET were the kind of nightmare that drew people away from gaming and the masses must have believed it was a fad that would die out. Games were getting worse and eventually people would feel ripped off.

Then nintendo with its recognised classics (ie donkey kong, mario bros. etc) started to once again attract the public back to games and the home console and the rest is history.

It is noted that when E.T. failed that was a signal for the videogames crash. Today with the sheer number of people playing games, I doubt a similar thing will be repeated. There is just too much money to be made even if a lot of the titles are shovelware. This is why the need by nintendo to innovate. What might seem like a gimmick to the more hardcore crowd are fresh gameplay possbilities to the masses. Games like Marble Madness in the arcades were fun not just because of the software, but the unique interface (using the trackball to roll around) that offered a new challenge. And with the popularity of games like DDR and the rythm action genre, I'm thinking that its working. The 'gimmmicks' people love to complain like Sega's fishing controller, the use of the lighgun in duckhunt, nintendo's drums for thier new donkey kong game, games like animal crossing etc all have thier own unique feel towards them. Not all experiments succeed (virtual boy, power glove) but that's no excuse to not try, which is why jaded gamers are so critical of the lack of originality in games these days. Companies would rather not take some risks once in a while because simply put, if something is hella profitable just being recycled over and over again, they don't NEED to. (even nintendo is guilty of this with thier pokemon games.) Basically nintendo don't want to repeat of the atari days when crap games like ET were released and ended up drawing more and more people away from gaming as more and more people got pissed at paying for the crap and had nothing to look forward to.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

AgentONE already has a PS3 and an XBOX 360, but he never plays with them because he's too busy with his PS4 and XBOX 720.

HAHAHAHAAAAA... I only use them while naked.

Perhaps, but there are enough to get stores to sell out. But hey, everyone can't be an early adopter. Otherwise, you'd have 10 million people trying to buy a system at launch, and then no one would want to buy one for the next five years.

Perhaps that was unclear.

I meant in the minority as far as "it still works" went.

Oh, absolutely. If they wanted it badly enough to pay upwards of $1000 for it, why didn't they want it badly enough to preorder it somewhere and save themselves a lot of money and a lot of hassle? Well, I'll just take it as proof that heath care in America is good, and that natural selection isn't working so well.

I think some of them DID preorder them.

A lot of places had far more preorders than decks.

Pretty much. I mean, his basement is like a treasure trove of dead systems, and he's constantly scouring flea markets and Goodwills looking for rare gems... that he'll never play.

Pity.

I almost fell to that myself a while back. But the collector mentality has never been strong with me, and I got back to playing.

I mostly emulate NES and SNES. I haven't really bothered to emulate older systems, mostly because I can't remember where the games I liked were. When I was very young, I had an Atari 800XL, a Commodore 64, and an Odyssey. I've checked out a few Atari 2600 Atari games, and frankly, I can't believe people actually played them.

I've viewed emulation mainly as a way to sample games I never had(since I still own everything I liked when I was younger).

And yah, some of the VCS/2600 stuff is just rancid.

But some of it is damn fun, too.

And if you ever want to appreciate how far hardware can be pushed before it's maxed out... the VCS has 2 sprites, 2 bullets, and 128 bytes of RAM. No, that is not a typo. I did not mean kilobytes.

And yet, everything from real-time strategy to first-person shooter to text adventure to RPG to a somewhat decent version of chess has been put on it(though there wasn't enough RAM to let the computer contemplate it's move and draw the screen at the same time...).

That seems to be the way it usually goes. People either love 2 and are lukewarm on the rest, or they like the others and aren't keen on 2. Personally, I loved 3.

I liked a lot of World also.

I may like 3 a lot more if I ever sat down and gave it enough of a chance.

I try to think of it this way... the robots in the orignal series had very advanced AIs. They had preprogrammed personalities, and were able to analyze situations and make decisions based on their programming. Rock volunteered to fight against Wily because Light programmed him with a sense of right and wrong and the idea that he should help others. That creates an illusion of independant thought, but they actually lack a free will.

What you've described is... well, it's what humans do, except we develop our personalities as we grow.

And it's not volunteering unless you have free will.

Also, Protoman has, on one occasion, directly refused a command from Dr. Light.

In the X series, X, Zero, and the Reploids may or may not start with some base programming and personality, but they truly have a free will, and they can grow and evolve beyond their original programming.

In other words, Rock fights Wily because his programming concludes that he should.  X fights Sigma because he truly believes its the right thing.

But Rock was programmed to clean house, not defend the world from crazy people.

IMO, "programming concludes that he should" and "believes it is the right thing" are synonomous, anyways. One just uses more technical words.

Could these possible be Xbox 360 game pics???

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=8921

I'd say it's fairly possible, if the video of the next-gen Madden they played during the NFL draft is any indication (you should be able to check it out at IGN, I didn't sleep enough and I'm too lazy to look for a specific link).

I've checked out a few Atari 2600 Atari games, and frankly, I can't believe people actually played them.

Man, you kids today...

You just have no clue what the world was like before you graced it with your presence, do you? Seriously...maybe next you can comment on some old silent B&W movie you saw on late night PBS, and marvel that people "actually watched it." Or perhaps you can test drive a car thats more than 25 years old, and report on how disappointing its 3-speed manual tranny was. Or you could pick on 8-tracks, AM radio, carbureted engines, and betamax.

You're free to share your opinions here, but you're going to have to realize that you have zero perspective on how the tech we have today came to be. Saying that you take things for granted is putting it lightly.

Edited by bsu legato

Man, you kids today...

You just have no clue what the world was like before you graced it with your presence, do you? Seriously...maybe next you can comment on some old silent B&W movie you saw on late night PBS, and marvel that people "actually watched it." Or perhaps you can test drive a car thats more than 25 years old, and report on how disappointing its 3-speed manual tranny was. Or you could pick on 8-tracks, AM radio, carbureted engines, and betamax.

You're free to share your opinions here, but you're going to have to realize that you have zero perspective on how the tech we have today came to be. Saying that you take things for granted is putting it lightly.

Well did say he had a Commodore 64 and Odyessey those are old. The 2600 and Colecovision were my favorites back then.

Ya Atati 2600 games are to hard to play now. I don't find them interesting like I did back in the early 80's. The 2600 had the worst versions of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong ever lol

LOL! That's telling them old man. :p But I feel the same way. That is why on certian subjects i feel that if you where born after 1979, I really DGF what your young ass thinks. ;)

Edited by NSJ23