Returned to CN, "The Clone Wars" has, hmmm.

Wait...weren't you supposed to be arguing that attendance and box office were NOT useful?

Correct. And I've gone to great lengths in each of my posts to make a distinction between pointing to a figure on its own and saying: "See, it was popular". . . and looking at the difference between a movie and its sequel.

But regardless, comparing the OT to the PT in that regard isn't quite useful since the market is so different than what it was like in the late 70's

I agree here as well. And I think that's what A1 is trying to say. But, again, I'm less interested in comparing TPM to ANH or RotJ than I am in comparing TPM to AotC.

In 1999 TPM had lots of room to "breath" and nobody was willing to risk opening against it.

Couldn't that also be interpreted as a reason to suspect that TPM's numbers are inflated. . . since it was the only thing to watch for so long?

Fast forward to 2002 and you have Sony putting Spider Man out two weeks before AOTC, and in substantially more theaters. Was AOTC's performance affected by a percieved "souring" of the audience on the whole PT thing? Perhaps, but it was also undeniably affected by Spider Man.

No argument here. As I said before, there's probably other (or complementary) reasons for the drop-off between TPM and AotC.

I can't believe you are retarded enough to not know that the younger people are the more likely they are to go to the movies... Factor that in with the advent of the 'home viewing venue' and your statistics are worthless.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...v18/ai_18894246

Well, first, I'm not that retarded. . . ...

Yeah well, sorry about that. You are right, you are not retarted.

You ARE a fanboy, but you are not retarted.

Yeah well, sorry about that.  You are right, you are not retarted.

You ARE a fanboy, but you are not retarted.

Praise from Caesar!

:lol:

HAHA... I am glad you have your good sense of humor back... Or maybe I am just being slightly less of a jerk.

:p

In 1999 TPM had lots of room to "breath" and nobody was willing to risk opening against it.

Couldn't that also be interpreted as a reason to suspect that TPM's numbers are inflated. . . since it was the only thing to watch for so long?

Well, yes and no. We've already covered the "fanboys" who kept going back to see the movie no matter how much they hated it, but by and large people won't see movies they dislike a second or third time. Yet somebody kept giving TPM enough repeat business to give it the BO that it had. I don't remember everythign that came out later in '99 but I do recall TPM staying in the top ten long after other movies had kicked it out of the top spot. This is contrary to the modern trend of movies opening big, then disappearing when people realize they stink. Look at AvP, which fits the scenario of a movie (some) fans wanted to like. People saw it in droves the first week, then it plummeted off the charts. Now it did do big business the first week, but based on how quickly it fell off I'd say it is fair to call it's popularity "mediocre" at best.

However, another thing to consider is TPM's status as an "event" unto itself. It was the first SW movie in over a decade. I think the novelty of that alone makes it tough to really gauge its performance one way or the other. *shrugs* Man, I hate this crap. I'll leave this analysis to the marketing types. AgentONE can take it from here. :p

because Star Wars viewers got old, they couldn't drag themselves out of their houses for one movie.

OMG....I'm over 24!

Too.....old.....can....no.....longer.....move....from....sofa <_<

Yep, all social life stops after you are 24 and you never visit the cinema again :p .

Actually, that's not really true. Your social life doesn't stop even after marriage.

However, it does stop when you have a baby. I haven't been to the cinema in 10 months since my son was born. Coincidence? I think not! <_< .

Graham

However, it does stop when you have a baby. I haven't been to the cinema in 10 months since my son was born. Coincidence? I think not!  <_< .

Graham

How about 5 1/2 years!?!?! (Not including Disney flicks :D )

Repeat after me: Net-Flix, Net-Flix :p