Makeshift Antannae on VT-1

Jasonc

I am in the process of customizing a Bandai 1/55 Super Ostrich, and want to include the antannae that is located on the right booster. I've seen this on some customs here, namely Kidkorrupt's custom VT-1. My question is, does anybody know what part I could find this piece from. Is it a GUNDAM kit, or a lego piece? I'm no good at scratch building, at least not yet, so I can't go that route. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, you guys rock! :D

either post a pic so we can see and possibly identify the part, or ask kid. I've always found kid very helpful and he's done some really cool stuff.

My question was for anyone who perhaps did a custom of this valk and to see where the part was taken from to make the antannae. Help is much appreciated. Thanks :D

Kid's was made from scratch, putty and a metal rod IIRC. I didn't answer before cuz I thought you were just asking for a prebuilt part. I can't think of anything that would be prebuilt like that but even if you found it from another kit your still have to shape the base of it to fit on the booster. The tip was done wth some styrene I believe...

That's what I thought, I was just curious if anyone new of like a GUNDAM kit or some model that a similar piece could be taken from. So, styrene. I thought I could avoid it, but oh well, I'll learn a new trade. :D Thanks

ya know... let me check my bits box. I may have something close. Approximately how long would that bit be in inches? At the least I probably have something that would be quicker to mod than scratch building. MAybe one of the lego antenna?

Kanata, if you have something, I'm willing to pay, even if it's something I may have to tweak a bit. I checked all my "bits bins" and have nothing. I'm soooo close to finishing too. :D But thanks for checking. If you need parts or anything, I have parts too, that I can get for you or at least look. Just let me know as well. :D

cool. I think your in luck. found 4 things that should be big enough.

1 is a turret from a model tank. I figured you didn't need the tank so I ripped it off.

1 is a lord knows what thing that was in a 1977 playmobile figure bag.

1 is either a cocktail olive spear or a lego person spear

the last is just some model spruce you can trim and sand as required.

shoot me a pm with your add and I'll drop them in the post.

As for parts I need....

to fix/complete stuff...

1/100 bandai/takatoku diecast vf hip bar

sdf-1 1/3000 aircraft carrier arm [at least the lower half]

large die cast lion voltron green lion head

transformer g1 swoop head/beak

various 1/100 conversion kit pieces

for customs...

The little white spinny thing on top of the head of a matchbox tactical pod

I can also always use any 1/55 parts and accessories

not that I expect anything as what I'm sending you is crap LOL. I won't even charge the 37 cents for the stamp ;)

hey... if a bit is doing something besides taking up space around here I'm happy because I know I was correct in not throwing it away. Parts got mailed today.

oh yeah... I sure better see some pics here when your done ;)

Edited by kanata67

Dude, thanks for the help. I was up last night till 1a.m. trying to piece together the nose and all the other parts. It's coming better than I thought. I'll definitely post up pics very soon. :D

Again, thanks for your help.

i've been so busy, i keep telling myself to post pictures. will get to it someday soon (i hope) =D

i made mine out of a brass rod with a brass tube that fit perfectly onto the rod. they cost $1 at a model shop. all i did was cut the rod and tip to the correct length, superglue it together and then used a chunk of epoxy putty for the base.

good luck with your custom jason!

The "white" or off white doesn't look that dark in reality, but let me know what you guys think. I left the metal hinges as is cause I still want to keep the feel of a toy. I'll be taking more pics when my camera recharges for the customs section if you think it's good enough. Be gentle, this is only my second custom ever. :D

Sweet custom man! Can you provide me with some info on how you did the custom? What kind of paints? Does it transform without the paint coming off? What preparation steps did you do? Did you use a clear coat of anything to cover everything? What kind of decals are you using?

Sweet custom man! Can you provide me with some info on how you did the custom? What kind of paints? Does it transform without the paint coming off? What preparation steps did you do? Did you use a clear coat of anything to cover everything? What kind of decals are you using?

Thanks for the compliment. I wanted to use a dark orange, and Tamiya paints (what I usually use) wasn't dark enough, so I used the Testor's spray orange. It has a slightly darker coat, and is nice and thick. I also used Testor's spray paint #1960 I think, it's a light sand for the off white. It does transform, and I'll submit more pics when I clear my memory stick in my camera tonight. The paint doesn't chip, that's for two reasons. 1 is I sanded down real good all the joints and parts where friction is a problem. On the hip joint that connects to the nose, I sanded down the pegs to where they are just slightly touching when swinging, but if I pull the legs away from the nose while positioning them, they won't touch. 2 is I used Model Master Dull Coat. About two or three light coats will not only provide protection for the decals and paint, it will leave a more realistic look other than that glossy "here I am, shoot me" coat. As for decals, Anasazi here on MW creates literally the best decals I've ever used. All thanks goes to him for those.

Nice work JasonC.

Who's recast armor did you use?

What kind of paint are you using?

I bought the set from MSLZ, but I believe they are a recast of Mike or Robs, or his own. I wish I could remember. I'll really have to contact him, as I want to provide credit where it's due. HAHA, see above for the paint. Like I said more pics tonight, of it transformed and such, but now I'm onto the "Red Baron" custom. :D

You know, I'll just post this up in another thread.

Edited by Jasonc

• 5 weeks later...

As for updates. I was using some sculpy for the base of the antanna, and managed to screw up the booster. I'm currently fixing the problem now. For the rod portion, I decided to go with a sprue piece, and a little sculpy on the end to make it look nice, but I haven't mastered this stuff yet, so I'm still trying to get it going. I'll post pics as soon as I get back home. I'm house sitting for my brother and his zoo of cats and dogs. :D

As for updates. I was using some sculpy for the base of the antanna, and managed to screw up the booster. I'm currently fixing the problem now. For the rod portion, I decided to go with a sprue piece, and a little sculpy on the end to make it look nice, but I haven't mastered this stuff yet, so I'm still trying to get it going. I'll post pics as soon as I get back home. I'm house sitting for my brother and his zoo of cats and dogs. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

send you a couple options and the piece of spruce was what you went with.

reminds me of toddlers having more fun with the boxes the presents came in on x-mas :lol:

Exo, I am, or was, shaping the fixture first then gluing it on, and that's where the trouble started. The glue didn't take well to the paint and fell off. As such, I also needed to use some putty to fix any gaps, and that didn't go so well. In any case, if worse comes to worse, I can just fix it to normal and start all over.

Oh, and Kanata, that sprue piece is the one you sent me. One you sent me was perfect durability, thickness, and whatnot. Funny how I got sent plastic parts that are people's junk, to me it's gold. :D

Jasonc,

Try drilling a pilot hole. This will help you set the piece exactly where you want to set it. Also, it will expose the resin so it maybe attached to the sprue using CA Glue, bonding almost instantly.

If you use an angled sprue I think an an "L" shape or elbow would be usefull. It could also help when you glue it down it would present you with more surface to set together.

I hope this made sense. ;)

Edited by nightmareB4macross