advice on mospeda model

Victaboy

Hi all. I know it's not a macross kit but I know there are some really talented modeller here so I figured ask the best. I recently got an old monogram Cy-Kill Go-Bots kit whch I'm sure you know is actually a repackaged mospeda ride armor kit. Has anyone built one of these? I could use some advice on home to tackle it since after looking at the parts it seems like it is something well beyond anything I have built. Any reference pictures would be great too. I want to actually make it look like it's supposed to in Genesis Climber.

Hope you don't mind the non Macross question.

also just realised I posted in the wrong forum. oops.

Edited by Victaboy

Good luck on that one, horrible fit on those kits, just ask Jessee. Buy some putty and sanding sticks for a start and some of the old fashioned goopy Testors glue to help really fill in those seems so you don't have to go back and use so much putty.

Yeah, that's a pretty tough kit. I put one together when I was a kid and it actually worked for a while! :p I've still got it. Maybe someday I'll refurb it B))

One thing I advise is to make sure all the pieces are securely glued as you go along. Make sure that the moving parts work smoothly. If you don't get a good bond on the pieces of the moving parts they will fall apart as you transform it.(ask me how I know <_< ) I built that at the time when I didn't realize there needs to be no paint anywhere where the glue will be.

The engineering on the kit is fantastic and the English instructions from that kit make assembly a little (just a little) easier.

Good luck and have fun with it. I hope you post pics of your results!

My advice would be to just build it in one form or the other, transforming plastic peices always have loosened joints and constant paint scratchs. I confess to being a model snob, I just think if you want transforming and tons of moving parts, buy a die-cast toy. Models are made for display.

That said, I actually prefer the Imai 1/15 Ride Armos. They seem closer to the animation and they make all 4, but of course, they don't transform. The little 1/24 kits are good too, but they only make Stick's(Scott's) Ride Armor.

ya... it's the variable one. It is kinda scary looking at all the parts. I'll probably go VERY slow on this one. Hopefully it will come out decent so i can post it. The stuff here is so good I wouldn't want to shame myself with a cr@#$ looking model.

I do agree about the whole if you want something that is variable just get a toy. It will probably stay in one mode most of the time. I'm just fasinating by the engineering of them. Anyway I have an old Robotech (sorry) variable.

Just by reading this gives me a headache and brings back up nightmares!

I built one ages ago when my modelling skills are not that great (now they are little better but still miles apart from some of our pros here on MW) and it took so long and the final product was so bad and ugly that it went straight to the bin :angry:

You will need lots of tlc on this little baby!

Andy :)

Great kit, it is the same mold actually of the Bandai kit of Blowsperior. Ironically I mentioned that kit in my previous post in the models sections. I have pics of one i threw together at work 5 years ago with a custom paint job. I'll post those when I get home later. Tranforming it is a chore, but I like it in any case.

post-3-1108809525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mechwarrior

Thatone is actually a cast of an Imai Blowsperior. It turned into a dog toy, he was unable to transform it though, being a dog and all.

Edited by Mechwarrior

Here's an image of an Imai Stick I put together awhile ago. I never quite got around to adding the extra polish, like the decals, but maybe I will someday. It's a good model, as far as models go. A much nicer representation of the cyclone than the Gakken toy. The rider can actually sit on the bike. If somebody made a more sturdy toy using this mold, I'd buy it.

Everyone else who mentioned how complicated this model is was right... it took a long time to build. I had just moved to a new city and didn't know anyone, so I had a lot of time on my hands. I'm not much of a modeller, but I got through it okay.

The biggest problem for me was trying to match the TV paint color.

post-3-1108823634_thumb.jpg

Here's page 1 of 2 of the paint scheme from the Imai variable kit. The pic has been reduced for the web, so if you need a crisper pic, let me know and we can figure a way of getting the larger file to you. Hope this helps.... (BTW, it is for sale under my "for sale" thread).

post-3-1108836966_thumb.jpg

Here's page 2 of 2 of the paint scheme/decal placement from the Imai variable kit. The pic has been reduced for the web, so if you need a crisper pic, let me know (PM me) and we can figure a way of getting the larger file to you. Hope this helps.... (BTW, it is for sale under my "for sale" thread).

post-3-1108837039_thumb.jpg

Total Rookie question here (not really into models but I like the idea of being into them). The pictures show everything painted on the sprue, they're just doing that for demonstration right? You're not actually expected to paint stuff while it is on the sprue are you? Seems like by the time you're done the whole paint job would be all muffed up.

actually on some models (if you dont care about seam lines ) its better to paint on the sprue and then assemble the parts afterward. you just have to touch up the marks where the part was on the sprue. i care about seam lines so i only paint single objects that wont require sanding or filling after it helps alot on small things like 1/35 scale rifles and such.

painting while the stuff is still attached to the sprue really helps alleviate the problem of spraying stuff when it's 3-D though. i find that i always miss parts when i'm painting something that's already in 3 dimensions (on the sprue, stuff is still pretty 2-D, although not technically).

painting while the stuff is still attached to the sprue really helps alleviate the problem of spraying stuff when it's 3-D though. i find that i always miss parts when i'm painting something that's already in 3 dimensions (on the sprue, stuff is still pretty 2-D, although not technically).

Problem is that you have to paint them... again after you cut them off the sprues. Thats why most people dont do that...

yup i thought about that ... unfortunately i belong to the "seams? what seams?" school of thought. :)

one day that will change; for now, i'll be happy if my model even remotely looks like the anime.

yup i thought about that ... unfortunately i belong to the "seams? what seams?" school of thought. :)

one day that will change; for now, i'll be happy if my model even remotely looks like the anime.

Hahah, its all good. Take your time when modeling. It takes a lot of patience. Especially when getting rid of the seams. <_<:p:ph34r:

anyone own/modelled the "Iron-Type" version of the Imai 1/12 Mospeada kits?

would it be possible to perform a normal paint job over the "iron" finish? i.e. could i still obtain a "Stick/Ley-Type" cyclone with an "Iron-Type" kit?

edit: without stripping the paint off first, that is.

Edited by shiyao

anyone own/modelled the "Iron-Type" version of the Imai 1/12 Mospeada kits?

would it be possible to perform a normal paint job over the "iron" finish? i.e. could i still obtain a "Stick/Ley-Type" cyclone with an "Iron-Type" kit?

edit: without stripping the paint off first, that is.

No, not without a lot of sanding, that chrome look is actually a heavy layer from when the whole sprue was originally dipped in the color, but if u r not worried about alot of detail, u can always do a light sandover the surface, then paint it, good luck.