Model Karma

Mechleader

Hi, I have to air my fustration out.....

Ok anyone have a model with bad karma? I have one now. Let me explain...

I got this model from ebay. Hase Super VF. No box just a bag. No biggie...I'm not into it, besides I have like 5 of them already...anyway....I deside I want to build it.

Overall so far it went well...Except I wanted a clean version and the wings snapped. and bad scratch marks from sanding....No biggie....I'll make it a little dirty. So I continue....I build it with wheels down. I check the under carriage

and there was the problem. The base where the wheel post sits was angled off. The glue had dried and short of breaking the halves off I couldn't get it right.

So off I go and get another leg from a different kit. Paint it. Glue it. Put the wash on and fix it to the body...

It's at an odd angle. Why???? :blink:

Because it's the leg from a regular VF...Not the super or Strike.

What to do??? Go with wheels up or go get another kit and try it again?

I got another kit.

Guys THIS is why it healps to have multiples of the same kit.

So that is where I am at now...waiting so I can sand, paint and wash again....

I just feel like this model has some bad karma.

I just finished my Elint with NO problem!

This one... :blink::ph34r:

Bad karma.

I have a 1/60 HG God Gundam , that has been bad Karma for me for a while, i painted it, and during the time it was drying somebody hit the table that i had the parts on with out realizing it and a lot of the parts fell over on to the floor in my basement, they stood that way until they dried, i did not know it had happened. because it is my basement there is alot of saw dust and dirt on the floor so the peices were ruined, i had a hell of a time get everything off of them, i finally get it together and have it on the shelf and what do you know the joints are loose and it falls forward and off , it broke the V antenna as well as scrapped the paint, i fixed the paint and everything but lo and behold it fell again a month later, this thing has fallen so many times that i had to lean it slightly backwards against the wall on a lower shelf, i broke so many peices on it through out the time i have had it. parts on the arms the V antenna again and several other little peices here and there. no matter what i do it seems like this kit was never meant to be nice for me, it has been sitting in a box for over a year and I just recently sold it on ebay mixed in with a huge box of kit bash scrapped parts.

chris

edit: added a pic of it, you can see some pics are broke on it but the picture does not show the true damage and the floppiness of it. sorry it is the only pic i had, i found it on my ebay auction. By the way mechleader do you have pics of your kit?

Edited by zeo-mare

yea getting rid of things that suck makes life much easier, as for are problems with these things, unfortunally it does happen, i am sure even the masters at model kit building on this site everynow and then have difficulties with kits, there is no way around it. hopefully i wil not have any more kits like that again.

I have been lucky so far.

chris

I know exactly what you mean, I had the same problem with my TV version VF-1J.

The main landing gear wells on the legs can actually fit either way, and it's difficult from the directions to tell which way they're supposed to go. So of course mine were put in the wrong way and the gear struts were pointing in towards the gunpod. I try assembling everything as close to complete and build as many parts as I can separatly so of course didn't discover this till it was too late.

I had to improvise and drill new holes etc... man I was pissed.

And this was the 4th VF model I'd built too. :angry:

post-3-1108661490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

I had this happen with an IMAI Blowsperrior. It seemed like everything went wrong. It was variable...which made it worse...but I kept misreading things and putting on parts wrong, only to have to break it to fix it. I did a touch up paint job on the back, and it fell onto the floor...into sawdust....back to the drawing board...etc. The caper for me was I was tired, (after several other mistakes) cutting some glue free and the xacto slipped and cut deep into my hand. I put it down (ignored the blood stains) and I have not had the courage to pick it up to finish it since.

I had this happen with an IMAI Blowsperrior. It seemed like everything went wrong. It was variable...which made it worse...but I kept misreading things and putting on parts wrong, only to have to break it to fix it. I did a touch up paint job on the back, and it fell onto the floor...into sawdust....back to the drawing board...etc. The caper for me was I was tired, (after several other mistakes) cutting some glue free and the xacto slipped and cut deep into my hand. I put it down (ignored the blood stains) and I have not had the courage to pick it up to finish it since.

Not to mention those old Imai models weren't the best for fit either, it was like they had two separate people make the two halves of the same part.

I didn't think about the tired thing, I don't think I was tired when I was building mine probably rushing or not paying enough attention cuz I'd built several of these already.

I had this happen with an IMAI Blowsperrior.  It seemed like everything went wrong.  It was variable...which made it worse...but I kept misreading things and putting on parts wrong, only to have to break it to fix it.  I did a touch up paint job on the back, and it fell onto the floor...into sawdust....back to the drawing board...etc.  The caper for me was I was tired, (after several other mistakes) cutting some glue free and the xacto slipped and cut deep into my hand.  I put it down (ignored the blood stains) and I have not had the courage to pick it up to finish it since.

Not to mention those old Imai models weren't the best for fit either, it was like they had two separate people make the two halves of the same part.

I didn't think about the tired thing, I don't think I was tired when I was building mine probably rushing or not paying enough attention cuz I'd built several of these already.

No doubt...tons of putty and sanding to remove the darn seam lines. (and no good guide pins either! )

Well here is an update. This is how it is going for this model.

I sanded it...came out good! I was surprised...then....I painted it.

Paint took well....I was surprised....then I put it down.

It fell to the floor.....wet with paint picked up all these little bits....ruined the paint. Had to go over it again.

I am not suprised.

Pics of finished (if it ever gets finished) will come soon.

My VF-4 is cursed I know it. It went together pretty okay, but then got knocked off the table snapping the wings. Fixable. Then I got called to work for two weeks, and my son's new puppy got into my modelling room and somehow got it off the bench and chewed the wings and canopy off. I ordered new wings and canards, and still had the spare canopy. Then when it's finally finished, I trimmed the second canopy to fit and screwed up somewhere and cut the same side twice. It's nowhere near a good fit. Valkyrie has agreed to get me a new one. So now the model is mounted on a stand (minus the canopy), when my son decides to throw a ball down the hallway. Model room door is usually closed, but not today. Wings are fixed and reattached, model room door is now LOCKED! It's an awesome model, but I'm really genuinely scared to put it in the display case, in case the bad luck is transferable.

Lonnie

I thought my Dendrobium was cursed. Kept putting things on upside down or backwards.

Finally gave in to entropy and built the thing upside down & backwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i thought this thread was for those models that had bad Karma :unsure: not how awesome Mechleader's collection is :p

How about a Millennium Falcon that just will not stay together no matter what you do. I have had the kit for 10 years and took 3 months to put a movie perfect weathering job on it. Now all the little recessed dish parts keep falling inside so every time it happens i have to slice the halves apart and true everything back up then re glue it. I swear even pure MEK doesnt want to melt this ertl plastic. I have a new falcon on order and im going to try to recreate the magic for the paint job on the old one.

I have the old one in pieces on my table now getting cleaned and reassembled.

Edited by HWR MKII

by the way does constanly running out of supplies like paint and primer count as bad karma? if so then trying to build my Knight of Gold and Geara Doga are causing bad karma :p

Edited by zeo-mare

HAhahahaa....well, the super glue stories don't make me feel so bad now. I can't decide if I have bad model karma or I'm just an utter klutz. (My girlfriend tells me it's the latter.)

Hmmm, what to share, what to share - well, a few years back I was working at a LHS. At the time I was building a Tamiya CLK-GTR (incidentally my last model built), and I was working on the entire engine/trans/susp assembly. Both hands were tied up trying the keep the thing together as I tacked it up with CA, so I pulled off the bottle cap w/ my teeth. When I went to put the bottle back IN the cap, I missed it completely, and hit my very tongue. Thereafter, I was the proud owner of a CA bottle tongue ornament. Being that acetone is toxic and all, and so not being able to use it on my tongue, I just pulled it off. Was good for character, grew hair on my chest and all that baloney.

Then there was the time I severly singed myself with the soldering iron, and while I was doing laps around the room screaming and looking for water, my boss was yelling at me that I smelled like burned hotdogs.

Anyway, if anybody has any karma that was inflicted on them, try and beat those....or I have some better ones still, but I still have some dignity I'd like to preserve.

Shaun

...exacto knives...now that brings back nightmares!

Try using it on a piece of thick cardboard and ooppss with a miss...see part of your thumb come off clean ;) Now that took ages to heal and hurt like hell!

Guest Bromgrev

Never balance a cutting board on your lap. Craft knife vs. thigh muscle - which do you think is harder (and we're not talking A1)? Still, I can claim the scar is a war wound/motorbike crash/alien experiment or whatever. More believable than the truth ... ;)

I was once using a hoppy knife while balancing a piece of a model on my leg....

Plastic snaps! POW! 1 INCH LONG RAZOR SHARP BLADE PLUNDGES VERTICALLY INTO MY THIGH.

I stared for a second at the handle of the black testor's hobby knife, rising straightup out of my jean-clad thigh. At it's base was a spreading pool of red. I pulled the knife out, and THROUGH the material of my jeans, blood guysers! A good 2-3".

So at this point I pass out. When I come too, I'm on the ground, and my face is killing me, because I landed on the metal feet of my desk chair. I manage to get to my feet and take off my jeans. That's when blood shoots out of my leg again, a good FOOT into the air.

Luckily, I hadn't ruptured a major artery. A friend of mine was coming to visit me when all this happened. He found me sitting in a pool of blood with no pants on, and wondered if I had finally killed my cat.