custom VF designs

striderhiryu

I found it here. It's called Knight frame as seen here.

I want one but I have no idea where to get one. It would be great if someone can translate the text.

found the makers site: http://www.atsai.co.jp/

http://www.toyslogic.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=7674 oh, here they are. there 11cm gashapon figures.

they're from something called Shining blade. they're not Knightmare frames (from Code Geass)

Edited by anime52k8

found the makers site: http://www.atsai.co.jp/

http://www.toyslogic.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=7674 oh, here they are. there 11cm gashapon figures.

they're from something called Shining blade. they're not Knightmare frames (from Code Geass)

Well, thank God.

I cannot stand Code Geass.

They don't even say Geass right. It's not Gyassu, it's Geish!

Hey Schizo, what's the in universe theory for Star Wars air/space craft flight mechanics?

Simple: Lift not required.

A device... Well, actually, a technology, let's put it, known as repulsorlift, is used to lift objects off the ground. These are found in everything from Airspeeders to Y-wings. They range in power, able to push a droideka as a ball, or able to lift an Imperial-II class Star Destroyer miles over a standard planet.

The flight mechanics, further, involve Thrust Vectoring and Vernier thrust, just like a variable fighter.

Back on topic, please.

I did some tweaking and detailing. I need some tips as to where to put relevant panel lines and other small details. It's still not a final design of course.

Looks pretty cool.

Why does everyone use the VF-25 nose now? From the Lazarus to the Soarer (Work on the name, kid. Soarer is kinda lame. Maybe Pterodactyl Bird? :p), that nose is in use... Personal preference, I guess.

I'm kinda not feeling the fuselage shape. From the profile, at least. It feels... short. The main body needs a bit more definition, if you ask me. I goes straight from the nose to the rear of the engine nacelles. In my eyes, this is an easy fix where you could do one of two things: Make the rear of the "Bump" and the front of the nacelles smaller; or you could make the main body bigger.

That's just me. It's your plane, though, so do what you will. Maybe if I see some transformation, I'd understand it better. ;)

It's not exactly the 25's nose. It's suppose to be more boat shaped like the YF-21 and less torpedo shaped like the 25 and 51. I've always hated that part of the design. The only thing similar is the length and the verniers. And yes I do think that the fuselage looks a bit short. It's based on the VF-25 and overall it should be about the same length. I hate how the wings on the 25 sit really low in battroid so I removed the "shoulder plate" (the one after the "collar" plate) and added the "bump" (which is the backpack thrusters in battroid mode). The thin line is where the thrusters separate from the legs. I also don't understand what you mean by "straight from the nose to the rear of the engine nacelles." The engine nacelles are similar to the SV-51's and the overall profile is flat like the YF-21.

As for the name, it's not that important to me. Unlike you, the name to me doesn't have to be meaningful. I'm not anal in that area. My first idea for the name was to be some fancy, cool sounding translation for "bird of prey" but that didn't work out. Japanese or German didn't sound cool. I also didn't want it to sound like Transformers with dinosaur names. My 2nd idea for the name was Knightwing but that sounds like a squadron to me. I named it after the Lexus SC300 or The Toyota Soarer in Japan.

No transformation yet. Still trying to figure that out in my head. But I can say that the nose cone will become the crotch in battroid mode.

Edited by badboy00z

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the revised version. Things changed:

Lifted nose a bit: Most of the plane is still above "the line". I find it hard to keep the flat profile and the angle/shape of the nose while making the nose higher.

Smaller canopy: Looks much better IMO.

Knee armor: Made it flush with the rest of the leg for a smooth flow.

Extended the leg: Adds to the overall length.

Enlarged intake: Balances out with the exhaust.

I want the bird to be slightly bigger/ longer than the YF-21.

post-6501-1236569695_thumb.png

Edited by badboy00z

Here's the revised version. Things changed:

Lifted nose a bit: Most of the plane is still above "the line". I find it hard to keep the flat profile and the angle/shape of the nose while making the nose higher.

Smaller canopy: Looks much better IMO.

Knee armor: Made it flush with the rest of the leg for a smooth flow.

Extended the leg: Adds to the overall length.

Enlarged intake: Balances out with the exhaust.

I want the bird to be slightly bigger/ longer than the YF-21.

very cool improvements, overall it looks much more balanced. it's got an interesting shape to it.

alright time for some odd stuff.

ok, first, an old design I was working on last year but never finished. The YB-5 Grendal heavy variable bomber.

3345563713_244db31f87_b.jpg

3346398064_886a1b2506_b.jpg

the development of the YB-5 began in the late 2030's as an attempt to fill the UNS' need for a heavy variable bomber to provide anti-ship and anti-ground support for lighter Variable fighters. the YB-5 designed by General Galaxy in conjunction with the YF-21 and as a result shares some noticeable design similarities. had the YB-5 made it into production it would have been a staggeringly powerful aircraft. the nearly 28 meter long aircraft would had a 4 man crew and would have been powered by 4 massive TNT engines each producing more thrust than the an entire VF-19A. It would have been armed with 6 interal heavy missile launchers; 2 large internal bays and 8 external hard points for conventional and Reaction type weaponry; and at least 6 beam guns for close combat.

unfortunately, do to budget cuts and financial difficulties at General Galaxy related to Project Super Nova coupled with cost overruns durring development resulted in the Grendal being canceled after the completion only one full scale non-transformable bomber mode mock up.

however, almost 25 years after the cancellation of the YB-5, roomers have been circulating that GG is once again evaluating the possibility of producing a quadrupedal heavy Variable bomber, (hint hint)

Edited by anime52k8

god damn photobucket... site is worthless... <_<

:edit: screw photobucket, I'm using Flickr (it's easier to organize stuff anyways)

Next is something completely stange that I felt like posting anyways. I drew this (battroid and Fighter) in about 3 hours at school after a class was canceled. it is a bazar mutilation of the VF-25 into some sort of racing valk and it is the result of extreme boredom. as such I shall call it the WTF-25

3346361068_f677bf8152_b.jpg

3345526757_02c8e2f778_b.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

and finaly what I've been working on recently:

the VKS-2 Lancelot Variable Knight:

3345526543_2ca8ce547e_b.jpg

3345526611_68a8162467_b.jpg

as of now little is know about the VKS-2 Lancelot, the Preferred fighter of commanders from the mysterious combat fleet known as the Crusaders. based information gathered in combat, the VKS-2 appears to be a Heavily modified derivative of the VF-19 family of Fighters. like the VF-19, the Lancelot is armed with 2 beam guns in the wing roots and a head mounted AA laser. the Lancelot also posses 6 micro missile launchers in each shoulder armor; and carries 2 swords in each wing and shields on each arm. the valk is also typically armed with a combination single barrel beam gunpod/blade weapon (not pictured) used as the primary close and long range combat weapon.

exact specification's are unknown, but the performance appears to be significantly enhanced over the original VF-19, and the level of hard armor exceeds that of any comparable VF in service under the UNG sphere of influence.

this Fighter is extremely dangerous and is typically operated by highly skilled pilots. engage with extreme caution.

god damn photobucket... site is worthless... <_<

:edit: screw photobucket, I'm using Flickr (it's easier to organize stuff anyways)

Next is something completely stange that I felt like posting anyways. I drew this (battroid and Fighter) in about 3 hours at school after a class was canceled. it is a bazar mutilation of the VF-25 into some sort of racing valk and it is the result of extreme boredom. as such I shall call it the WTF-25

3346361068_f677bf8152_b.jpg

3345526757_02c8e2f778_b.jpg

Woha! I love it! Would you mind me making RPG stats for it? I'll give you full credit of course! And I'll put it into my fan-fic section:) How about calling it the VF-26 Kestrel? ...just a thought... I think WTF-25, is, well... taken by Alto every time he flys. :lol:

Love all the MH design cues on VK man. I'm no pro but the perspective of the fighter's right wing looks a bit off. Also noticed that the arms are mounted on top of the legs like the VF-5000. Wish I can draw half that good.

yeah, the left wing is really off but I haven't bothered to fix it. I was just having too much trouble getting it right so I went with close enough.

the Idea of this was definitely to try and channel FSS as much as possible. It's been a while since I last watched FSS but I still love the Mechanical design.

Woha! I love it! Would you mind me making RPG stats for it? I'll give you full credit of course! And I'll put it into my fan-fic section:) How about calling it the VF-26 Kestrel? ...just a thought... I think WTF-25, is, well... taken by Alto every time he flys. :lol:

go wild, that won is kind of a throw away design for me, I don't have plans for it anyways. I actually think hearing somone else take on stats and background would be cool.

go wild, that won is kind of a throw away design for me, I don't have plans for it anyways. I actually think hearing somone else take on stats and background would be cool.

Cool thank you anime52k8! I have gone ahead and cleaned up the art a bit, then scaled it down so I can display it here. I made the ventral view symmetrical and added the NUNS emblem to the left wing. ^_^

Here is what I have done so far.

post-11066-1236812166_thumb.png

post-11066-1236811527_thumb.png

Cool thank you anime52k8! I have gone ahead and cleaned up the art a bit, then scaled it down so I can display it here. I made the ventral view symmetrical and added the NUNS emblem to the left wing. ^_^

Here is what I have done so far.

post-11066-1236812166_thumb.png

post-11066-1236811527_thumb.png

The only thing I'd suggest is that you add a sheild between the engine nacelles in fighter mode so it has better lift in the atmosphere and a few optional heads, otherwise I like the design very much!

The only thing I'd suggest is that you add a sheild between the engine nacelles in fighter mode so it has better lift in the atmosphere and a few optional heads, otherwise I like the design very much!

Well it's up to anime52k8 to make more heads as it is his design. Also, from my expert opinion the 'shielded' fighters do not seem to generate lift in that section of the craft as much as the wings, save the VF-25 as it is a superior lifting body. Perhaps this design opted for a shieldless design possibly due to the effectiveness of the pin point barrier system as an energy shield. Since I'm writing the background and stats I may use this approach. I'm giving this design to the colony fleet Macross Maraposa. Another fan-fic colony of mine that I haven't done anything with yet. I'm calling it another YF-24 derivative. I'm debating if I should give it Extender Gear or not. Hmmmn maybe another system or ISC or something...

Edit: spelling and grammar corrections.

Edited by Macross GURU

Well it's up to anime52k8 to make more heads as it is his design. Also, from my expert opinion the 'shielded' fighters do not seem to generate lift in that section of the craft as much as the wings, save the VF-25 as it is a superior lifting body. Perhaps this design opted for a shieldless design possibly due to the effectiveness of the pin point barrier system as an energy shield. Since I'm writing the background and stats I may use this approach. I'm giving this design to the colony fleet Macross Maraposa. Another fan-fic colony of mine that I haven't done anything with yet. I'm calling it another YF-24 derivative. I'm debating if I should give it Extender Gear or not. Hmmmn maybe another system or ISC or something...

Edit: spelling and grammar corrections.

You fail to realize that all of them are body-lift planes. Their wings are by no means sufficient to provide lift. This is why they all have a pancake. It's a body-lift surface.

Maybe the VF-17 fails at that, though.

The lack of a shield, or anything really, there would definitely disrupt airflow. Not good. At the very least, taper that off. It can't be a straight drop. That would fook it oop.

You fail to realize that all of them are body-lift planes. Their wings are by no means sufficient to provide lift. This is why they all have a pancake. It's a body-lift surface.

Maybe the VF-17 fails at that, though.

The lack of a shield, or anything really, there would definitely disrupt airflow. Not good. At the very least, taper that off. It can't be a straight drop. That would fook it oop.

when I drew that I was kind of working from the Yukikaze anime design school. (take every aerodynamic principle and throw it out the window) :D

I should point out that the arms are lade along the sides of the engines in fighter mode YF-21/SV-51 style. the tail fins are mounted on the arms YF-21 style as well. It really is a Franken-valk; SV-51 arms, YF-19 arms, VF-25S head, RVF-25 antenna, and the funny parts that stick up on the chest like the VF-2SS.

when I drew that I was kind of working from the Yukikaze anime design school. (take every aerodynamic principle and throw it out the window) :D

I should point out that the arms are lade along the sides of the engines in fighter mode YF-21/SV-51 style. the tail fins are mounted on the arms YF-21 style as well. It really is a Franken-valk; SV-51 arms, YF-19 arms, VF-25S head, RVF-25 antenna, and the funny parts that stick up on the chest like the VF-2SS.

IT'S ALIVE!

Not following you on that, have you seen a F-104 with it's little stub wings? I think that most VF have enough wing area for flight, even anime52k8's WTF-25. Some designs may not have ideal low speed flight characteristics but their wings should be able to do the job.

I think that VF tend to have a 'pancake' is due to SK liking the Tomcat ^_^

Oh and anime52k8 could you give us a little detail art on the design for the swinging forward swept wings?

Not following you on that, have you seen a F-104 with it's little stub wings? I think that most VF have enough wing area for flight, even anime52k8's WTF-25. Some designs may not have ideal low speed flight characteristics but their wings should be able to do the job.

Oh and anime52k8 could you give us a little detail art on the design for the swinging forward swept wings?

The wings are too small. The VFs are generally based on some F-14 designs. This includes, generally, the wings. 40% of an F-14's lift is produced by the fuselage. Without it, the wings wouldn't be able to lift it enough to climb too well.

The F-104 can't fly so well at low speeds. Below 300 and you're stalling. Ever wonder why it's not a carrier plane?

Every VF has design elements that hint at body lift. Every one. Even the 17. Given, that last one didn't do so well at it.

The F-104 can't fly so well at low speeds. Below 300 and you're stalling. Ever wonder why it's not a carrier plane?

I said low speed flight characteristics would be bad. No, never wondered why a land based bird was never used on a carrier.

I never said that VFs don't use body lift, I was only saying that the wings look to be large enough that the loss of the shield should not be a problem in the total amount of lifting area on the design. Anime52k8 said that he designed it as a racer, many warbirds used in air races today have clipped wings because they don't need the wing area.

I've said my piece, we can disagree.

wow, all this much discussion over whats between the legs on a Valk I drew out of boredom. I probably shouldn't have expected any less from you guys :lol:

I wish I remembered how the thing was supposed to work. I know that they fold back YF-19 style (yellow line), and then the wing plus wing glove folds back VF-25 style (green line). but instead of being attached to the backpack, the glove is connected to the little thruster which hangs off the shoulder (blue line).

post-4286-1236922029_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that it might have had a duel swing system (or sumthin') when I saw this line that I marked.

And I know how you feel, I'll be at work and have a great idea on how something I've been tinkering with should go and as soon as I'm home - it's gone <_<

post-8467-1236927569_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbes221

Agreed the whole purpose for the narrow wings are for super sonic flight, all military aircraft designed for trans-sonic/super-sonic have that. The wing root is where the lift is generated at super sonic speeds you learn that first day in aerospace engineering, ok so maybe not first day generally you get the syllabus on first day, but it is a very basic concept for super sonic fight. The flat frame of the F-14 is a super-sonic lifting body that is stable utilizing the fact that the wing roots generate the lift (meaning it is all delta wing).

The forward swept wing of the fighter I call the VF-26 Kestrel or Anime calls the WTF-25 :lol: has forward swept wings. Forward swept wings generate lift on the wing tips at lower speeds and at super-sonic speeds on the wing roots. This is more advantageous then the delta wing which performs better at super sonic speeds yet is dangerous to maneuver at landing speeds and sometimes require a longer faster takeoff or landing roll. The F-14 has a variable geometry wing which allows it to extend to generate lift at lower takeoff and landing speeds and retract to a delta wing for super-sonic speeds. The wing of the F-22 is a redesigned delta as the variable geometry wing is too expensive to construct and too heavy to install that and even with the special composite materials used today to lighten the airframe the VG wing is maintenance heavy. So the newer fighters and attack craft use a specially designed delta and a super-sonic lifting body. Variable fighters have arms and stuff disallowing lift in the middle (looking at my 1/48 VF-1A Max Type), yup, big honking arms.

Out of Kawamorri's designs, I find the SV-51, YF/VF-19, YF-21/VF-22, and VF-25 most airworthy designs. The VF-0, VF-1, VF-4, VF-9, VF-11, VF14, VF-17, and VF-27 have too much parasitic drag and possibly weight and balance issues, and depending the model portraying the fighter it becomes debatable. Take it from me I have a Federal Aviation Administration certification. I specialize in airframe and coffins with propellers (helicopters).

Edit:

Oh did I not mention I have a degree in Aviation Maintenance and Technology, for my school it was a minor engineering degree.

Edited by Macross GURU

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that it might have had a duel swing system (or sumthin') when I saw this line that I marked.

And I know how you feel, I'll be at work and have a great idea on how something I've been tinkering with should go and as soon as I'm home - it's gone <_<

That is a panel line connecting the skin to the spar which is in turn connected to the moving servo for the flaps, elevon, leading edge flaps, and transforming servo.

Oh did I not mention I have a degree in Aviation Maintenance and Technology, for my school it was a minor engineering degree.

Did you mention that?, damn, that's nice to know. ^_^

That is a panel line connecting the skin to the spar which is in turn connected to the moving servo for the flaps, elevon, leading edge flaps, and transforming servo.

Kinda figured it was a panel line but was just looking to confirm it. That and I'm working out a swinging FSW design of my own.