A Possible Influence of Macross?

Roy Focker

I was watching this movie last night called Shubun 1950 (english title Scandal) by Kurosawa Akira and I notice a few familar themes in it that reminded me of Macross.

Mifune Toshiro plays an artist named Aoye Ichiro. The film starts with him up in the mountains painting one. There are three old men watching him and commenting on his painting. One of the asks something like, "Why are you painting like that?" To which Aoye answers, "I paint how I feel". Another old man tells him, "Your using to much red. That mountain is not red." Aoye says back, "To me the mountain is red." In the same scene Aoye says the mountains are moving. This character artistic spirt reminded me of Basara. Plus he's painting infront of mountains talking them moving. Basara sang infront of mountain trying to make it move. Basara's feeling drove his singing and actions.

It doesn't end there. You start hearing singing. Another character enters named Saijo Miyako and she's singing. Yes Aoye is painting a mountain, talking about it moving and some one shows up singing. Anyways the character of Saijo is popular singer in the movie. Aoye offers her a ride and a tabloids end up taking a picture of them and create a story suggesting that they are having an fair. It's just like DYRL? with the reporters taking pictures of Hikaru and Minmay then having it covered in the tabloid news. That's pretty much where the connections end but I thought there was enough to share.

Yes, Kurosawa did Sanjuro with Mifune in the lead role. The two of them worked together on a great number of movies, including Yojimbo (which, by the way, was remade as A Fistful of Dollars), The Seven Samurai (remade in the US as The Magnificent Seven), and Rashomon. At some point they had a falling out; Mifune went on to star in some American works including a film with Lee Marvin called Hell in the Pacific (which was sort of the inspiration for the SF film Enemy Mine) and the great miniseries Shogun. Kurosawa's most recent films include Kagemusha, Ran, and Dreams.

Edit: I never saw Shubun. Kurosawa is best known in America for his samurai movies, but he did a lot of films set in modern times as well.

Edited by ewilen

Yes, Kurosawa did Sanjuro with Mifune in the lead role. The two of them worked together on a great number of movies, including Yojimbo (which, by the way, was remade as A Fistful of Dollars), The Seven Samurai (remade in the US as The Magnificent Seven), and Rashomon. At some point they had a falling out; Mifune went on to star in some American works including a film with Lee Marvin called Hell in the Pacific (which was sort of the inspiration for the SF film Enemy Mine) and the great miniseries Shogun. Kurosawa's most recent films include Kagemusha, Ran, and Dreams.

Edit: I never saw Shubun. Kurosawa is best known in America for his samurai movies, but he did a lot of films set in modern times as well.

I find it ironic that I haven't seen The Magnificent Seven but I have seen Seven Samurai... while a Japanese friend of mine hasn't :D

...Kurosawa 0wnz j00 :D

I find it ironic that I haven't seen The Magnificent Seven but I have seen Seven Samurai... while a Japanese friend of mine hasn't :D

...Kurosawa 0wnz j00 :D

I made the mistake of trying to watch the Magnificent 7 after seeing Seven Samurai.....