Custom Mini Tachikoma

Rohby

Hello all!

I recenly got my hands on this mini Tachikoma and customed some poly joints onto it's limbs for fun. Since I didn't want to ruin the original, I recasted it and chopped away at the copies instead. I used those Kotobukiyo joints which works out just fine with their wide assortment and durability. The joints were casted into the resin and one-way locked into place. So now, I don't have to worry about the ball joints slipping out. Check out some pics:

post-26-1107173702.jpg

Yeah, I do realize that the "smokestack" thingy on top of it's head is supposed to be blue as well. But I havn't gotten the chance to cast it blue yet. All of the blue colors you see are acutally resin casted in blue tint. I only painted the details such as the silver, black, and whites. Although the Eyes are also casted in white resin so no paint there as well.

post-26-1107174238.jpg

Here's the comparison shot. The on on your left is the original and the one on the right is the bootleg custom. Notice surface of the original Tachi is more dull. After I customed all the parts, I coated the pieces with a thin layer of paint and polished it for mold making.

post-26-1107174573_thumb.jpg

Damn very nice looking Rohby!!! You knwo I want one haha. Along with my WSTF Soundblaster custom.

I saw this thing in the making and and the original really sucked compared to Rohby's recast. Rohby you need to take closer pics of the original. Like the butt box thing was situated a little too low so it touches the ground. But Rohby relocated it.

Also the smokestak thing looks better a different color than the body.

Edited by Solscud007

Yeah, I'll post some size comparison pics up in a bit so you can really see it's actual size. Also, I'm not exactly sure if I'll be selling this little guy since I'll have to order the ballcap joints from HLJ.com which may be a bit costly and I just don't feel that I can offer it at a low enough price after the cost of materials. I had to use joints from 3 seperate packages which costs around $2.50- $3.00 per package so joints alone already total a min of $7.50. Maybe if enough pple would like it then I'll be able to make something work out. None the less it was a fun side project for me :D

Rohby

Nice work, man! That's really cool. What's the original from? Gashapon?

Yeap. It is those Gashapon trading figures for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. There is suppose to be the Major is sitting on top of the tank in her "standard uniform".

Here you go. A size comparison shot with a 1/60 Valk Gunpod:

After taking a second look, the pic's not too accurate in terms of size. Stupid me put the Gunpod in front of the Tachi which obviously makes the Tachi much smaller. :huh:

Comparison_shot.JPG

Group_defensive_pose.JPG

Edited by Rohby

Here you go. A size comparison shot with a 1/60 Valk Gunpod:

After taking a second look, the pic's not too accurate in terms of size. Stupid me put the Gunpod in front of the Tachi which obviously makes the Tachi much smaller. :huh:

Comparison_shot.JPG

Group_defensive_pose.JPG

Hi :) I was informed about this post and forum from animepunch and am definately interested in one if it ever goes up for grabbs! Just chimming in ;)

Actually, I'll most likely do a run of 10 of these since a few members here seem to want one and I don't want to just post up the project and not offer it. The thing is, I have to order the Kotobukiya parts from HLJ first. Since I need more parts from HLJ I'll go ahead and order enough parts for this as well.

However, I must warn you it wont be cheap due to the parts. It will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 -25 bucks. I'll have to order the parts and calculate them out first.

Just send me a PM if you're interested.

Oh yeah...Nick...you want the SD girl too huh? You want everything you crazy @$$ :D J/K thanks for the CardBoy

• 1 month later...

While I was waiting for Rohby's version to ship I started experimenting with casts and molds and made this version using ball bearings and magnets for the joints.

paintedbbtach35gp.jpg

paintedbbtach51oh.jpg

paintedbbtach78ni.jpg

I need to clean up the casting a little more and find more durable paint.