Stupid-Cool MacMini

NERV

pretty cool looking, i wish my computer was that small i would love to have a PC of that size but with the power of what i am useing now. it would save alot of space, maybe 10 years down the line they will becoome alittle more compact

I can see it being useful for people who aren't computer savy, and just really need a computer for pictures, music, and checking email - and possibly word processing or some such. Unfortunately, that doesn't include most of the members here - especially since it's a pretty cool little machine...

It's meant to be a second computer, primarily targeted at iPod users who use windows. It's being sold alongside KVM switches, come on. You can use your fancy PC all day, and then switch to the macmini when you want to load songs onto your iPod. Meant to encourage those users to break down in 6 months to a year and buy a full-fledged mac. I'm sure it will sell, as will the iPod Shuffle, but I'm not a fan of either.

The best I can say about it is that it's better than the iPod Shuffle. I was so, soooo excited when I heard that there was finally going to be a mass-market affordable iPod (I buy way too many toys to afford a real iPod). Finding out that it only plays tracks in a random shuffle fasion was a real turd in the ice cream. After 20 years with various 'shuffle' and 'random play' buttons at my disposal, I think I maybe have used the feature twice. I like listening to music either in the form of albums or compilations that I arrange. I guess I'm just missing out on all the 'ooooh, what's next?' excitement of shuffle.

I think it's funny how Apple said they wanted to make an iPod that was even easier to use, thus the one button Shuffle was born. Thanks to the countless legions of retards who just can't figure out a regular iPod, we're finally getting an affordable one and it's going to be a fasionable (it's made to be worn like a pendant!) chunk of crap. I'm sure it will sell like hot-cakes, too. <_<

Sorry to hijack the thread. I think the concept of the MacMini is noble, but the excecution really leaves a bit to be desired.

How cool can mini mac be if you don't even get a mouse for $499? Thats what some would call a RIP OFF! Oh wait, this is apple, so it's cool to get a computer without a mouse because it looks good on your desktop. Don't get me wrong, Apple makes some nice products, but no upgradeablility and not even being able to throw in a mouse seems a bit ridiculous.

apple's design team is second to none. its their marketing arm which needs to be shot. the iMac or eMac is a much better buy compared to the mini mac (mac mini?). and a laptop hard drive? ewwwww. and how much can a kybd and mouse cost now days? gotta be peanuts.

the shuffle is a much needed item but some of it's design is questionable. same with the photo..it should have received a new case to differentiate it from its cheaper brothers.

What with all those dumb people who think the iPod Shuffle only have shuffle mode? The real good part is this iPod Shuffle will sure drive the price down on all flash MP3 players and flash sticks.

The MacMini is quite upgradable when you consider the wide range of USB and Firewire devices available - they just aint cheap like PCI cards. The mean limitation of the MacMini is the CPU, RAM and video.

The MiniMac is a niche market product in my eyes. It seems to be targetted at people that need very limited computer power, and want to support anyone other than microsoft othewise it doesn't seem ot make much financial sense.

I think by now it is pretty evident that there are Mac people and Non-Mac people. Macintosh isn't even trying to target PC buyers, their machines aren't made for gaming, upgrading, running the latest greatest software and adapting to the ever changing world of personal computing. I have used Macintosh computers and they are great for tasks, that is, for completing an ort project, for writing a report or a manuscript, but they have functional limitations for running high end graphics intensive programs (Games) and they don't get the amount of software development and suppor that PC"s do.

I would love to support a company that competes with Microsoft but their computers just don't run the applications that I need to run. If I was a writer or a graphic artist that didn't play modern high end computer games then I would problaby buy one, but I'm not.

I was so, soooo excited when I heard that there was finally going to be a mass-market affordable iPod (I buy way too many toys to afford a real iPod).  Finding out that it only plays tracks in a random shuffle fasion was a real turd in the ice cream.

The iPod Shuffle does play songs in a linear, pre-selected order as well. Apple, though, is hyping up the "shuffle" function. Personally, I think it's not the most sound move. When I started reading it, I almost stopped when I thought it could only play music in a random order. That's not true, though. From Apple's site...

"With Play in Order mode, you manage the music. If things take a turn for the predictable, never fear. Turn iPod shuffle over, flip the slider to Shuffle and mix on the go."

Edited by Sage58

The MiniMac is a niche market product in my eyes. It seems to be targetted at people that need very limited computer power, and want to support anyone other than microsoft othewise it doesn't seem ot make much financial sense.

It's an attempt to answer many people's biggest fault with Apple. Macs have never been priced competitively, Apple delights in gouging every last cent out of every last customer.

They DID briefly license clone manufacturers that made competitively-priced products. Then yanked the licenses when the clones sold better than the Apple-brand products.

As most people buying a computer DON'T need much power, it's a good machine to get a Mac in the hands of the masses.

Aside from the idiotic decision not to pack ion the required peripherals.

I think by now it is pretty evident that there are Mac people and Non-Mac people.  Macintosh isn't even trying to target PC buyers, their machines aren't made for gaming, upgrading, running the latest greatest software and adapting to the ever changing world of personal computing. 
They adapt fine for what most people do, which is web browsing, e-mail, and IM.
I have used Macintosh computers and they are great for tasks, that is, for completing an ort project, for writing a report or a manuscript, but they have functional limitations for running high end graphics intensive programs (Games) and they don't get the amount of software development and suppor that PC"s do. 

Which isn't relevant to people that buy a computer for the internet, pay someone to hook it up, and never enter the store again.

They also never patch their software or install an antivirus, so it's not exactly something to encourage, but ...

I would love to support a company that competes with Microsoft but their computers just don't run the applications that I need to run.  If I was a writer or a graphic artist that didn't play modern high end computer games then I would problaby buy one, but I'm not.

Fortunately for Apple, that "not" describes what is pr'ly some 75% of home PC users.

And if this works, Macs will have the market penetration to generate a serious amount of software development.

I was so, soooo excited when I heard that there was finally going to be a mass-market affordable iPod (I buy way too many toys to afford a real iPod).  Finding out that it only plays tracks in a random shuffle fasion was a real turd in the ice cream.

The iPod Shuffle does play songs in a linear, pre-selected order as well. Apple, though, is hyping up the "shuffle" function. Personally, I think it's not the most sound move. When I started reading it, I almost stopped when I thought it could only play music in a random order. That's not true, though. From Apple's site...

"With Play in Order mode, you manage the music. If things take a turn for the predictable, never fear. Turn iPod shuffle over, flip the slider to Shuffle and mix on the go."

That's a relief. I guess I'm just one of those "dumb people" that CF18 mentioned. <_<

All I've read or heard about it so far only mentions the shuffle feature. Seems to be a weird feature to hype since it's far from a new thing, and isn't exclusive to the iPod.

The MiniMac on the other hand may look cool but it seems fairly unneccessary. Someone mentioned using it for uploading stuff onto your iPod...but does anyone really need a whole separate computer just for that? Maybe it would fit into the market better if it was priced like a game console, around $150 to $200.