George A. Romero's "Land of the Dead"

Came across this little tidbit by accident. Seems Universal Pictures has got the license and is releasing the film. The synopsis goes something like this:

The living dead have overtaken humanity. The last remnants of the human race live inside a walled city as they come to grips with the situation. The wealthy live in sealed skyscrapers as the poor fend for themselves on the streets. Protecting them is an enormous tank called Dead Reckoning, controlled by a group of people led by Riley. But when Riley loses command of the tank to an insane man bent on destroying the city, he must save it from Dead Reckoning as those who walk beyond the walls of the city slowly develop new abilites and become a much greater threat to humankind.

There is no official site for this film yet, but the Internet Movie Database has a cast listing, so you can see who is starring in it. I also managed to pull a few images from a few sites. Here goes:

post-26-1105413133_thumb.jpg

Well, initially Romero's films about the dead have always looked cheesy, but the storyline was generally good. And you should also consider, the designers of Capcom's Biohazard (Resident Evil) got some of their inspiration from Romero's films. As for the storyline about the walled city, it was already well known before Resident Evil: Apocalypse even hit the theaters.

This movie is actually pretty old news now. Been follwing it's progress on several movie and horror sites for months. I think we've even discussed it in a couple of threads previously :p .

Anyway, I'm really exicited about seeing it. I'm a huge, huge fan of the Romero Zombie movies.

In fact 'Land of The Dead' is one of only three movies that I'm really looking forward to seeing this year, the other two being SW ep III and the Firefly movie 'Serenity'.

Roll on October!

And sorry Chrono, you just can't compare a Romero Zombie movie to the Resident Evil movie. Romero really defined the Zombie genre IMO and all other Zombie movies are pretenders.

Graham

More Romero Zombie-goodness can only be a good thing.

As for the storyline about the walled city, it was already well known before Resident Evil: Apocalypse even hit the theaters.

I seem to recall it being known before Resident Evil: Apocolypse was even being considered. Shortly after Romero was booted off the first Resident Evil movie.

Intially it both looks like and sounds like complete and utter crap. This sounds SOOOOooooooooooo Resident evil!

You couldn't be MORE wrong.

....and I only watched Apocalypse for the hotness that is Jill Valentine.

Intially it both looks like and sounds like complete and utter crap.  This sounds SOOOOooooooooooo Resident evil!

You couldn't be MORE wrong.

Well since you have nothing to prove me wrong with, other then Romero's past achievements, I'll politely disregard your claim then.

The Dead Trilogy was good because it was the Alien of it's near brainless genre. A genre that had gone down hill for several decades and was a cult hit rather then a cash cow(ala Star Wars).

Romero was good back in the day when he had something to rail against. Now he's just another hollywood director who didn't follow through on his own movies logic.

Do yourself a favor and only look at the story and images instead of somebody's past skills. So far I've not seen anything that looks remotely appealing from neither the cast listing(do they have a real actor on that list?), story(super zombies? giant tanks? WTF!), to the pre-movie imagery.

Lets just hope it's at least Shawn O the Dead level cause I just can't take another Resident Evil movie. <_<

Graham,

Yeah it's gonna be an interesting movie season this year. No single movie is really standing out as a power house.

To be fair, there's not exactly a lot to go on as far as judging the plot. One single short paragraph, and a few screenshots that don't really show anything. Another thing to consider, chrono, Romero's earlier movies were great despite a lack of big name talent. So a lack of A-list actors on this movie is nothing to critisize it for, so long as they play their parts well.

Chrono, think about what you're saying here - you're on a board for nerds that worship a 20+ year-old cartoon. Don't you think this mentality carries throughout? ;)

Anyways, althought I'm not a big fan, I hope it pans out to something enjoyable. Graham, I'm with you except for you #3 choice, I think you forgot Spaceballs 2 is supposed to come out maybe next year. :lol:

Edited by Wes

And sorry Chrono, you just can't compare a Romero Zombie movie to the Resident Evil movie. Romero really defined the Zombie genre IMO and all other Zombie movies are pretenders.

Agreed. Romero is essentially the originator of the flesh-eating zombie apocalypse genre - all others take their lead directly from him. And he has seldom been approached by newer filmmakers, even given all the modern techno-dazzle at their disposal. The reason? Romero's films have actual depth to them. The horror and the action are only the superficial attractants - the real "meat" of the trilogy lies in its nuanced character portrayals and biting social satire. While the films are (yes, Chrono) very much "of their day" in terms of production technique, they're hardly "dated". This is because themes of racial tension, of ruinous group disharmonics, of urban blight, of consumer culture shabbiness, of the military vs. science vs. religion.... are all pretty timeless. And these films explore them with gusto and a measure of subtlety, all while giving us heaping helpings of FULL-ON GIALLO HYPERGORE.

By comparison, all Resident Evil gives us is Milla Jobovich in a towel.... which, dammit, goes a long way, but still...

Chrono, think about what you're saying here - you're on a board for nerds that worship a 20+ year-old cartoon. Don't you think this mentality carries throughout? ;)

hehe!

Yeah forgot about that! :lol: But then again I wouldn't be taking my time writing this stuff if I wasn't a fan to begin with. :)

Doktor Gonzo,

Agreed that he used themes that were timeless. Nowadays they are so over used it's crazy. It also doesn't help that they are poorly written too! So they are dated, which is why I called them "cult hits" because few people rent movies that are so old. Just what movies has he directed or wrote in the last 5 years that given any indication of what his current ability is?

Also if I remember correctly last years Dawn of the Dead was pretty nay-sayed because people couldn't get past the 'fast-zombies' part. Now that Romero's name is attached to a movie with 'super-zombies' this is ok?? All sins are forgiven?? What a joke.

Also if I remember correctly last years Dawn of the Dead was pretty nay-sayed because people couldn't get past the 'fast-zombies' part. Now that Romero's name is attached to a movie with 'super-zombies' this is ok?? All sins are forgiven?? What a joke.

I don't think Romero had anything to do with the remake of Dawn of the Dead, but I could be wrong there. But if I remember correctly from one of Romero's earlier films, they had established that the zombies were intelligent enough to recognize people and use weapons, as demonstrated in Day of the Dead. So who's to say that by the time they have gained the upper hand in the world that they have started their own hierarchy?

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Another thing to point out is that Romero's "Zombie Movies" are not at their core about Zombies but rather the downfall of humanity. The Zombies are just a backdrop for the human decline into insanity that is the meat of his stories. All of Romero's movies, especially his over the top treatment in the original Dawn of the Dead, are morality plays made to make us question our own habits and mindsets. Very few, if any, non-Romero movies featuring Zombies do that at all. Most non-Romero Zombie movies are just about the Zombies and how they show up, kill people and then get killed by the uber elite heroes... cough cough residentevil cough cough...

The true monster in Romero's movies is man, the living one that is.

I'm pretty certain Romero had nothing at all to do with the recent remake, so what does it have to do with the price of eggs? Also, basing how well written a movie is on how many people rent it many years later is a superb example of folly, much like saying Titanic was an excellent film because it made so much money.

I'm pretty certain Romero had nothing at all to do with the recent remake, so what does it have to do with the price of eggs? Also, basing how well written a movie is on how many people rent it many years later is a superb example of folly, much like saying Titanic was an excellent film because it made so much money.

No Romero wasn't attached to the remake at all. Which is just yet another point against it by many Romero 'purists'. And what is has to do with the topic at hand is clear enough for anyone smart enough to pull out the subtle undertones of 60-70's anti-commericalism in the orginal movies. The point is that Romero is obviously following the current trend of "action is better" in monster movies.

So if the 'fast' zombies and lack of Romero's name anywhere in the credits was a turn-off and stopped you from seeing the movie then why the hypocrisy with 'super-zombies' and his name attached to it?

It's like saying that any new Macross without Shoji Kawamori isn't Macross.

Radd your last piece of your post makes no sense what so ever, because Titanic WAS an excellent film based off of how much money it made. That's how ALL films are judged by and not how well they are written. Reality fact not classroom fact.

But then again most movie purists are like Neon Evangelion fans. Excited about the story's depth, action, or just a single component of the movie but could care less about everything else including the storys conclusion.

Does anyone know what Romero's done recently(within the last 5-10 years)?

Edited by chrono

Does anyone know what Romero's done recently(within the last 5-10 years)?

Well, he did a few films from what I can see on IMDB's website. He made a movie called Bruiser in 2000, but before that his last film was The Dark Half. Seems he's got two other films (maybe) coming up this year in addition to Land of the Dead. However, just because he does not work steadily does not make him a bad director, if that is what you are insinuating. Maybe he just likes to lay low and chill out.

In regaurds to Romero it should be pointed out that for the bulk of the '80s he spent most of this time on his Tales from the Dark Side TV Show... which was worlds better than the lame Tales from the Crypt. He also supposedly has remained in the realm of B-movies by choice, I guess he just feels comfortable there.

As for his work history it should also be noted that he is a meniacal control freak who either gets his way or he takes his toys and goes home... a big reason he has been kicked off more projects than he has finished in recent years. All one has to do is look at his fight against the MPAA and his simple "F you guys" response by independantly releasing Dawn of the Dead unedited and unrated just to spite them. The man has (from what most people say) a tremendous ego and an even larger need to dominate his creative efforts and see them released in their "true form".

To me he is sort of a one trick pony in that about all he can do well is horror, Zombie horror in particular. Then again the same can be said for George Lucas and Star Wars. When you create (or in this case drastically reinvent) a genre of movie you can pretty much sit back and do what you want... poor or not, working or not.... and Romero seems to revel in that.

As much as I love a good Zombie movie, one thing that's always annoyed me is that none of the characters ever seem to wear any protective clothing/padding/armor etc to prevent themselves from getting bitten.

OK, this is unerstandable in movies where Zombies first start rising, as often it's not initially understood that being bitten will turn you into a Zombie. However, later on when his fact is known, you would think that the characters would take some measure to protect themselves, instead they often seem to run around in the skimpiest, least protective clothing possible.

A case in point is the the Dawn of the Dead movies (both original and remake). Now, I love the original, but in these movies, the main characters are trapped in a shopping mall. In a shopping mall, presumably there is a sporting goods stall, where there would be access to all sorts of protective grear like knee and elbow pads, shin guards (also good for foream protection) etc. Heck even a good thick leather jacket will offer some protection from bites. Ever tried to bite through a thick leather flight jacket. I just did as an experiment and could even make an impression on it.

And in Land of The Dead, the few screen shots that we have seen so far have shown the characters without much in the way of protection :( . If I was part of a team that had to go against Zombies, I know for sure I would deck myself out in a full set of modern riot armor, which offers pretty much full body, limb and head protection, but is still fairly light and doesn't hinder mobility two much. Of course, the assault rifle, two Glocks, several knives and approximately 1,000 rds of ammo I'd be carrying would slow me down a bit tho :lol:

Graham

Decking the heroes out in armor would be smart... but since when are horror movies smart? If anything the main cast of horror movies suffer from the largest case of worst judgement ever I have seen. Zombies! Quick! Barracade ourselves in somewhere were we are sitting ducks! Monsters! Eeek! Run down into the basement to "get away"! Axe Murderer! Argh! Hide in the closet, the one place they would never look!

:p

It just dawned on me (excuse the pun) regarding the image of Asia Argento standing next to that guy. She's the daughter of Dario Argento, who helped to produce Dawn of the Dead and also wrote most of the music to that film with the Goblins. Just a little trivia, but most of you out there probably already knew this.

Another thing to point out is that Romero's "Zombie Movies" are not at their core about Zombies but rather the downfall of humanity. The Zombies are just a backdrop for the human decline into insanity that is the meat of his stories. All of Romero's movies, especially his over the top treatment in the original Dawn of the Dead, are morality plays made to make us question our own habits and mindsets. Very few, if any, non-Romero movies featuring Zombies do that at all. Most non-Romero Zombie movies are just about the Zombies and how they show up, kill people and then get killed by the uber elite heroes... cough cough residentevil cough cough...

The true monster in Romero's movies is man, the living one that is.

Isn't that what Barbara (Patricia Tallman) was muttering to herself at the end of the NotLD remake with Tony Todd?

BTW, I have to agree with the "down with the speedy zombies" crowd. They were never meant to sprint at you. Stumble, yes. Run like they were going for Olympic gold, no.

... but since when are horror movies smart? If anything the main cast of horror movies suffer from the largest case of worst judgement ever I have seen. Zombies! Quick! Barracade ourselves in somewhere were we are sitting ducks! Monsters! Eeek! Run down into the basement to "get away"! Axe Murderer! Argh! Hide in the closet, the one place they would never look!

:p

Ain't that the truth, people in movies are truly stupid of course...like when you see people in a house and the walls start bleeding...they go upstairs and look around. Get OUT Fools!!!!!! ;)

BTW, I have to agree with the "down with the speedy zombies" crowd. They were never meant to sprint at you. Stumble, yes. Run like they were going for Olympic gold, no.

Oh, I completely agree. However, I do not at all understand why some of the people on this thread have taken these vague rumblings of the zombie hordes in LotD "evolving" and assumed it to mean that Romero will be giving us sprinting, agile zombies ala the DotD remake. I had assumed, like Graham and some others here did, that what we will be seeing is further development of the idea introduced with "Bub" in Day of the Dead, with the zombies regaining some ability to reason, plan, use tools etc. Personally, I think the idea of a nascent "zombie society" is a fascinating one...

But if people were all decked out in armor, how are they gonna run?

And seeing from the movies, the ease with how zombies can rip people in half, I would see no problems of them ripping your armor or body suit in half also.

And seeing from the movies, the ease with how zombies can rip people in half, I would see no problems of them ripping your armor or body suit in half also.

:blink: Which zombie movie has zombies ripping people in half (Exclude any less-than B-grade horror films from Europe and New Zealand, please :lol: )

Actually, I liked the fast zombies *ducks for cover*

They were actually a threat, where as the shambling zombies you could stay away from with a light jog. The fast zombies made you really run for your life, and think a little smarter than some stumbling corpse...

Which makes on think... the human body is supported by bones... the bones are moved by muscle contractions... and decomposed muscle cannot contract. hmmmm....

which, in turn, begs to ask, in the cast of LotD, how long have the dead roamed the land? long enough to construct a walled city apparently... how long does it take for a body to completely decompose?

A long time ago, One_Klump, I heard that was actually a plot point addressed by the movie. As for fast versus slow, the fact that zombies were everywhere in Romero's movies made them such a threat. Sure, you can get away from one at a light job, but what about the other dozen or so that have you surrounded?

Also, as someone else pointed out, a big theme in the movies was that it was humanity the heroes had the most to fear from.

:blink: Which zombie movie has zombies ripping people in half (Exclude any less-than B-grade horror films from Europe and New Zealand, please :lol: )

Romero's Movies?

post-26-1105639087.gif

Edited by Ladic

If I remember right quite a few people get ripped to pieces in Romero Zombie movies... I clearly remember a lot of dismemberment at least and of course the well deserved pull in half that that ass pipe in Day of the Dead gets (shown by Ladic).

The human body is suprisingly weak when it comes to several people doing damage to it. I can't say it makes scientific sense but in the few spots in Romero's movies that the Zombies do pull people to pieces it always plays out the same: person is surrouned, goes down to the floor, is "set upon" by the Zombie horde and they all pull and tear and grab and yank on the poor victim until eventually parts just... come off. Grizly but it happened.

Edit: if anything the best defense against Zombies (from the Romero school of Zombie tactics) is a two part system of teamwork and mobility. A fast vehicle that is protected on all sides and very stable (think heavy truck or tank) but that allows the occupants to keep the Zombies from piling up on it is ideal. When you don't have a vehicle, teamwork is the best. Moving in squads or pairs at the least gives you two sets of eyes and two brains to get out a jam.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Radd your last piece of your post makes no sense what so ever, because Titanic WAS an excellent film based off of how much money it made. That's how ALL films are judged by and not how well they are written. Reality fact not classroom fact.

Oh, just noticed this. While it is true that the investors in any film measure the success of a film by how much money it is made, that by no means changes the reality of how well written, directed, or acted the movie is percieved. Titanic's box office numbers were excellent. Titanic's returns to the investors were excellent. This has absolutely no bearing on the merits of the film itself as a film, only how well it was promoted and hyped.

Modern riot armor (which my company sells among other things) is light enough that it doesn't hamper mobility too much. Yes, you can still run in it, even with full arm, thigh and shin protection.

I'm not talking about ballistic (bullet resistant) armor. A full suit of that like an EOD bomb suit for example is far too heavy to run in.

Yes, if you are unlucky enough to be down on your back on the floor with 10 or more zombies all over you, you are probably history.

However, the use of armor is more to prevent an accidental or suprise bite when you are grappling with or plowing through a crowd of zombies, or if one suddenly jumps out at from you from behind a door. If he latches onto your forearm with his teeth, all he is going to get is a mouthful of plastic armor, rather than your flesh. The result being, you live and do not have a nasty infection which would turn you into a zombie.

Looking at the Romero Zombie movies, it seems that the most common areas for bites when in melee combat with zombies are the lower leg, forearm and neck, so even some light padding on these areas could prevent potentially lethal bites.

Graham