The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

$170,000?  What are they, fu--ing stupid?

317112[/snapback]

No, seeing as how they were all sold before the first one rolled out of the NISMO shop.

317124[/snapback]

Not hard to sell a limited edition run of only 20 cars, especially considering people who bought it probably bought it for the collectibility more than anything.

Image wise it's ridiculous, because it's a Skyline. It's still a $170,000 coupe based on a rather boring Japanese 4-door sedan. Yawn.

317112[/snapback]

No, seeing as how they were all sold before the first one rolled out of the NISMO shop.

317124[/snapback]

Not hard to sell a limited edition run of only 20 cars, especially considering people who bought it probably bought it for the collectibility more than anything.

Image wise it's ridiculous, because it's a Skyline. It's still a $170,000 coupe based on a rather boring Japanese 4-door sedan. Yawn.

317268[/snapback]

Do I think it's a boring sedan? No, not at all--in fact, I rather like the Skyline, especially the R34. I just also think the price-point on these cars is just too high to make sense.

Just saw a news blurb in one of the auto mags; the newest incarnation of the Skyline GT-R has been going thru testing at the Nurburgring [the manufacturers seem to love testing there now. GM has even forsaken VIR here in the states for that track, it seems]. There will be a new GT-R, slated for release in 2007[?] and apparently the Skyline will finally be sold here in the US [officially, that is]. They just haven't decided whether it will wear a Nissan or Infiniti badge. Those should be in the $70K range. :(

317268[/snapback]

^_^

Yep, the skyline is just dumb. All the money for none of the car. Looks like an 80's Honda with a bad bodykit.

I love the car! The handling on the car is very good for something that size. I love the power, which I have never had that much before, and I love the leg room and the car is comfortable. At being 6'4" the leg room is very import to me. The AWD is not that important since I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and snow and ice is not that serious of a problem.

317112[/snapback]

317124[/snapback]

317268[/snapback]

If you read exactly what they did to these 20 cars you would be more impressed. They basically rebuilt the car from scratch for performance only without any comprimises. The reviews of these cars are all very favorable. I also have never heard anyone complain about how boring a regular GTR is to drive. The new Skyline coupes and sedans (or Infiniti G35's over here) are also not what I would call boring to drive.

I thought any future Camaro was doomed when GM suspended the zeta platform development. It's nice to have new hope for the Camaro but 2009? Ford is going to win over a lot of pony car fans by then. Oh well, I just hope GM puts in some effort on the new Camaro. In the past, it seemed like the Camaro largely got ignored.

I read that they had some thing for the '06 show, hopefully its well done and keeps the LS1.

317738[/snapback]

From what I've heard, either GM's going to work it off the next gen Zeta, an elongated Kappa, or the Sigma-lite (platform that killed North American Zeta.)

Now, odd thing is, a friend of mine who works for GM SWEARS that the Camaro's heading for a MY 2008 release, not 2010.

hey phyrox,

no,i'm not sure if that TA was a '70.i just guessed. i'm just starting to get familiar with all the little details of the years & i didn't know the shaker had no letters in '70. what year did they start putting the big bird on the hoods? i know it was there by '73,but when did it start? '72? was the small bird on the nose ther only for '70 & '71?

Edited by valkyrietestpilot

I seriously doubt it, anything that dodge makes these days HAS to have the F-ing crosshairs on it...."brand Identity" they call it.......they start looking like trucks in the front after a while, just look at the new Charger...

Just watched The Dukes of Hazzard yesterday. I was expecting it to completely suck, but surprisingly, it was very entertaining. Yes, the storyline was awful, but the car chases were awesome. Here are some highlights (may contain spoilers):

- Unlike Starsky and Hutch, which still takes place in the '70s, The Dukes of Hazzard takes place in the present day. General Lee is still a '69 Dodge Charger, while Daisy Duke drives a brand new white Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

- In the original series, Uncle Jesse brings Bo and Luke in his home in hopes of preventing the cousins from doing his former business of moonshine running. In the film, Uncle Jesse still is a moonshine distiller and the Duke boys are doing the job of delivering the bottles around Hazzard County.

- In the series, Bo's the one driving the General and picking up the chicks, while Luke really doesn't do much. In the film, Luke's the one getting the chicks while Bo is too busy talking to his car. He listens to either Air Supply or some audiobook cassette of Al Unser, Jr.'s career.

- Even though the movie is about rednecks, there's hardly any NASCAR references. Instead, people from the open-wheel racing circuit show up, like Indy car racer A.J. Foyt IV.

- Rosco P. Coltrane isn't the old, dumb sheriff we're used to in the series. Instead, he's just an uninteresting character.

- Jessica Simpson may be hot, but she just isn't Daisy Duke compared to Catherine Bach.

- For some reason, whenever Lynda Carter was around, I was expecting her to spin around... :ph34r:

- The new General Lee looks similar to the original, only with a smaller steering wheel and a CD player. Of course, it still has the Confederate flag on the roof, which instigates a conflict between the Dukes and a black gang when they drive around Atlanta.

- The Atlanta chase scene shows that a Charger can also do mad drifts.

- All of the General Lee jumps are real, no matter how fake the freeway jump on the trailer looks. During the ending credits, there's footage of two Chargers losing control after the freeway jump and slamming on the center divider and the trees on the outside. During the rally jump, one Charger lands nose-first and lands upside down.

I seriously doubt it, anything that dodge makes these days HAS to have the F-ing crosshairs on it...."brand Identity" they call it.......they start looking like trucks in the front after a while, just look at the new Charger...

317960[/snapback]

Yeah, why do car manufacturers insist on doing that sort of thing? I mean, the manufacturer is spelled out all over the car.

Found this on edmounds.com:

Challenger?

317945[/snapback]

OMFG, that is sooo sweet. As soon as I saw this pic, I told the wife: "honey, come over here for a sec. When they come out in a couple years, we're gettin a Challenger." Even she gave a "wow" when she saw it...

That looks surprisingly close to the concept sketch floating around on some auto mag sites. For those lamenting the excess doors on the new Charger; there is hope on the horizon. Apparently, the Challenger is a go, but is planned as a 2010 model. :( Thank the Lord that at least Dodge has the gusto to introduce bold projects like they have over the past few years. The out-of-touch and seemingly apathetic mismanagement at GM has put them in dire straits and deservedly so. Too bad the stock-holders and the employees are the ones who'll suffer. The incompetent monkeys in the board rooms all have golden parachutes, I'm sure. But anyways, back to this kick-ass challenger--I too, hope they don't FU-K IT UP by incorporating that dog's arse ugly "crosshair" grille into it...

Damn, I like the one in that pic posted by GreenGuy42 much better though. I find myself just staring at it. The sexy lines; the aggressive, muscular stance. They'd be fools not to build this Mustang-fighter! I WANT ONE!

post-1488-1123431043_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Just watched The Dukes of Hazzard yesterday. I was expecting it to completely suck, but surprisingly, it was very entertaining. Yes, the storyline was awful, but the car chases were awesome. Here are some highlights (may contain spoilers):

- Unlike Starsky and Hutch, which still takes place in the '70s, The Dukes of Hazzard takes place in the present day. General Lee is still a '69 Dodge Charger, while Daisy Duke drives a brand new white Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

- In the original series, Uncle Jesse brings Bo and Luke in his home in hopes of preventing the cousins from doing his former business of moonshine running. In the film, Uncle Jesse still is a moonshine distiller and the Duke boys are doing the job of delivering the bottles around Hazzard County.

- In the series, Bo's the one driving the General and picking up the chicks, while Luke really doesn't do much. In the film, Luke's the one getting the chicks while Bo is too busy talking to his car. He listens to either Air Supply or some audiobook cassette of Al Unser, Jr.'s career.

- Even though the movie is about rednecks, there's hardly any NASCAR references. Instead, people from the open-wheel racing circuit show up, like Indy car racer A.J. Foyt IV.

- Rosco P. Coltrane isn't the old, dumb sheriff we're used to in the series. Instead, he's just an uninteresting character.

- Jessica Simpson may be hot, but she just isn't Daisy Duke compared to Catherine Bach.

- For some reason, whenever Lynda Carter was around, I was expecting her to spin around... :ph34r:

- The new General Lee looks similar to the original, only with a smaller steering wheel and a CD player. Of course, it still has the Confederate flag on the roof, which instigates a conflict between the Dukes and a black gang when they drive around Atlanta.

- The Atlanta chase scene shows that a Charger can also do mad drifts.

- All of the General Lee jumps are real, no matter how fake the freeway jump on the trailer looks. During the ending credits, there's footage of two Chargers losing control after the freeway jump and slamming on the center divider and the trees on the outside. During the rally jump, one Charger lands nose-first and lands upside down.

318176[/snapback]

Aarrrgghh!! FU--ING Dukes of Hazzard movie!! It makes me FU--ING SICK to think of all those Chargers--which are damned rare enough as it is, and hard as hell to find nowadays--which were probably crashed, pummeled, twisted and otherwise maligned for the sake of this SH-T on celluloid they call a film...I SPIT on this film and the ancestors of those who made it!

Aarrrgghh!!  FU--ING Dukes of Hazzard movie!!  It makes me FU--ING SICK to think of all those Chargers--which are damned rare enough as it is, and hard as hell to find nowadays--which were probably crashed, pummeled, twisted and otherwise maligned for the sake of this SH-T on celluloid they call a film...I SPIT on this film and the ancestors of those who made it!

318184[/snapback]

I'm a Charger nut as well, but they only used about 25 Chargers for the movie. And quite a few were jumped more than once. there were only 3 huge jumps that totaled a car, and the bodyshop rewelded it back together to be used again! the cable jumped cars (nearly all the jumps in the move) were engineless and driverless. The cars they used were from a dealership that is well known to sell bondo-ed Chargers barely worth restoring! The Chargers are out there, it's just that people are actually holding onto them now.

As far as that "rally" jump goes, that was actually the first jump in the movie, they rewelded and fixed that car to be jumped again as well! So before you start cursing out WB for doing the movie in the first place, DO SOME F-ING RESEARCH!!!!

sorry for the rant.

317960[/snapback]

Yeah, why do car manufacturers insist on doing that sort of thing? I mean, the manufacturer is spelled out all over the car.

318177[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with having a recognizable grille for a car, problem is Dodge is just incapable of doing it properly. The front grilles on Alfa Romeo's or BMW's are very recognizeable, but aren't nearly as attention-grabbing, distracting or or ugly as the cross monstrosity Dodge puts in front of all of it's cars and trucks.

Aarrrgghh!!  FU--ING Dukes of Hazzard movie!!  It makes me FU--ING SICK to think of all those Chargers--which are damned rare enough as it is, and hard as hell to find nowadays--which were probably crashed, pummeled, twisted and otherwise maligned for the sake of this SH-T on celluloid they call a film...I SPIT on this film and the ancestors of those who made it!

318184[/snapback]

I'm a Charger nut as well, but they only used about 25 Chargers for the movie. And quite a few were jumped more than once. there were only 3 huge jumps that totaled a car, and the bodyshop rewelded it back together to be used again! the cable jumped cars (nearly all the jumps in the move) were engineless and driverless. The cars they used were from a dealership that is well known to sell bondo-ed Chargers barely worth restoring! The Chargers are out there, it's just that people are actually holding onto them now.

As far as that "rally" jump goes, that was actually the first jump in the movie, they rewelded and fixed that car to be jumped again as well! So before you start cursing out WB for doing the movie in the first place, DO SOME F-ING RESEARCH!!!!

sorry for the rant.

318233[/snapback]

25 cars? That's a damn lot of cars. Were any of them usable after shooting? I think it would have been a real waste if they were all ruined, and none had survived. I didn't do research on this movie 'cause it doesn't strike my fancy. I happen to think it'll be a shi--y picture, and I'm not interested in seeing it. If somebody else wants to see it, so be it. Free country.

The pic that you guys think is the challenger is actually a photoshop of a Barricuda. It was done by Birmingham on The Mustang Source boards I believe.

318317[/snapback]

I checked out that site; thanx for the heads up. This fellow D. Schramm is friggin good. All this with a Photoshop program? Dizayum! The folks at Dodge REALLY ought to see those renderings of the Cuda/Challenger. His "2006 AMX" is kinda cool too...check out his site www.creatingthelie.com His GTO Judge is a must see; the cool thing about it is, it looks totally do-able with the current "Monaro" platform. His front end/grille is distinct enough that it ought to satisfy purists, and it isn't cow's ass ugly like Pontiac's usual offerings. Too bad the people who can make good looking Pontiacs [even if they are only digitized versions] aren't actually employed by Pontiac! :p

post-1488-1123468949_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

318184[/snapback]

sorry for the rant.

318233[/snapback]

25 cars? That's a damn lot of cars. Were any of them usable after shooting? I think it would have been a real waste if they were all ruined, and none had survived. I didn't do research on this movie 'cause it doesn't strike my fancy. I happen to think it'll be a shi--y picture, and I'm not interested in seeing it. If somebody else wants to see it, so be it. Free country.

318313[/snapback]

the ones that were'nt driveable were reused for interior shots on the next movie, except for one, the jump onto the highway stunt car (they used about 3 cars to get that one right), anyways that one went to the guy that sold them the car in the first place, he's gonna try to fix it to use for car shows.

when I said 25 cars, I didnt mean that all 25 were totally destroyed, just 3.