The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Best car movie was:

used cars

Damn, I haven't seen that movie in 20 years. I still remember the part when that chick's shirt was stuck on the hood of a car. :lol:

So you agree!!?? Its the best?

Isn't it a '68 charger in "Bullit"?  The '68 has always been my favorite.

Funny thing about the Charger in Bullit is that the same Charger was used throughout the entire chase scene. On the other hand, the production crew went through a handful of Mustangs because they kept breaking down.

actually, only 2 Chargers and 2 Mustangs were used in Bullitt, they broke one of each and had to actually detune the Charger so the Mustang could *beat* it.\

btw, wheelspin going up a hill is no big deal, nearly every car can do it, even a Bug if the driver does it right.

They way I heard it was that the Mustang's 390 had to be modified a bit to keep up with the Charger's 440. Either way, it's rather obvious that the Ford 390 was no match for the Mopar 440. I think both Charger's were destroyed in the film. I know all those jump sequences over the SF hills totalled one set of cars and then the last Charger was destroyed in the closing scene.

LOL on the hubcaps. It's also funny to listen to how many times they upshift.

What's really cool about Bullitt was there was several mistakes that were left in. For instance, Steve overshoot a corner, threw it in reverse, and then forward spinning the tires the entire time. The Charger also messed up a turn and took out a camera. A local driver somehow made it past the road blocks unnoticed and almost got hit.

The story goes that after filming Bullit wrapped, the remaining cars were to be scrapped, mainly because of potential liability. They were obviously short one Charger (due in no small part to the explosion scene) but its not 100% clear what the status was of the other three cars. However, one of the Mustangs did survive and has been in private hands ever since. Supposedly even Steve McQueen himself tracked it down tried to buy it before his death. However, the owner was and remains obstinant that the car remain in his posession. According to the last article I had read about it ( and they did verify the VIN number was indeed one of the two Mustang purchased by Warner Bros for Bullit) the car is in poor shape, both from the rigors of filming and nearly 40 years of deterioration. But it does survive, and if this dweeb that's sitting on it ever would do us the favor of dying, the car could potentially be restored.

They way I heard it was that the Mustang's 390 had to be modified a bit to keep up with the Charger's 440. Either way, it's rather obvious that the Ford 390 was no match for the Mopar 440.

what about the 428 S.O. smoke a Hemi :) too bad they discontinued the 427 engines from the Thunderbolts and Cyclones,,, prolly wouldve bent a mustang in 2

My list of must-see car movies:

1. Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Bar none, the undisputed hardcore champion of car chases. Unlike the 2000 remake, which is as fake as Botox and breast implants, the crashes and the 30-foot jump on this one are real.

2. Ronin - Hardly any movie these days has a car chase scene as intense as this.

3. Mad Max - Still Australia's best film import.

4. Bullitt - If you want to talk about Mustangs and Steve McQueen, this is THE movie to watch.

5. The Road Warrior - More road carnage from Down Under.

6. The Junkman - From the creator of Gone in 60 Seconds comes the Guinness Record holder for the most totaled vehicles in one movie.

7. Deadline Auto Theft - Another classic in the Gone in 60 Seconds trilogy. DVD also includes the unfinished Gone in 60 Seconds II.

8. No Man's Land - Love Porsches? Then don't miss this Charlie Sheen flick.

9. The Fast and the Furious - Yeah, maybe it's full of ricers, but the stunts are actually great, especially the Dodge Charger crash scene.

10. Stroker Ace - Probably the only good NASCAR movie, as Days of Thunder tried too much to be like Top Gun.

And some car movies to stay away from:

1. 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story - Boring, inaccurate NASCAR movie from ESPN and the director of Highlander. And this comment is coming from an Earnhardt fan.

2. Driven - Stallone may have just killed CART (now known as Champ Car) with this flop.

3. Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) - The remake may have more cars to look at, but the car chases are boring, not to mention that the "jump" is computer-generated.

BTW, is anyone here gonna watch Dust to Glory, the Baja 1000 movie?

Cannonball run!!???

They way I heard it was that the Mustang's 390 had to be modified a bit to keep up with the Charger's 440.  Either way, it's rather obvious that the Ford 390 was no match for the Mopar 440.

what about the 428 S.O. smoke a Hemi :) too bad they discontinued the 427 engines from the Thunderbolts and Cyclones,,, prolly wouldve bent a mustang in 2

The Mustang never got the 427 (although it was promised in early '67 brochures) but they did put it in the Cougar. If the Cougar could live with the 427 there's no reason the Mustang wouldn't have. Besides, the 428 SCJ was just as good.

Favorite cars

1962 Ferarri GTO

2005 Ford GT

1959 Corvette

1967 427 Corvette

1969 L88 Corvette

1969 Firebird

Lambhorghini Miura

Shelby 427 Cobra

Dodge Viper GTS/RT 10

2002 Corvette Z06

2005 Mercedes SL65

2004 Ferarri 360 Challenge Stradale

Ferarri F40

1950 Merc

Cannonball run!!???

Cannonball Run was a surprisingly good movie. My friend and I rented it a few months ago and enjoyed it way more than I thought I was going to.

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the most dramatic and unique movie cars, the M-505 Adams Brother's Probe 16 from A Clockwork Orange. One of three made. Two low for regular doors, and containing way too much wood.

post-26-1112991673_thumb.jpg

Cannonball run!!???

Cannonball Run was a surprisingly good movie. My friend and I rented it a few months ago and enjoyed it way more than I thought I was going to.

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the most dramatic and unique movie cars, the M-505 Adams Brother's Probe 16 from A Clockwork Orange. One of three made. Two low for regular doors, and containing way too much wood.

HAHA... They called that thing the 95 Durango.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this TV car. It's the Coyote from Hardcastle & McCormick.

coyote6.jpg

I mentioned it earlier.

Oh yeah, that's a cool little car. It's a kit-car; a copy of Bruce McLaren's M6-GT. The story behind that one:

"This M6-GT was developed by Bruce McLaren from the M6 CAN-AM car in 1969 and served as his personal transportation until his death in June of 1970. After Bruce's death, the road car project died with him. This original prototype was the only one built at the race shop. Others were built and modified by Trojan who built all the customer McLarens at that time. The number produced has been reported to be 3 or 4.

Denny Hulme bought the car and shipped it to New Zealand for display at the Museum of Transportation and Technology. Denny sold the car in 1990 and it came to California. The car has a total of 1,973 miles on it and is original except for paint. Few historic cars have been preserved in such original condition. The top speed is 165 mph and it accelerates from 0 to 100 mph in 8 seconds."

--from, http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic32916.htm

Edited by reddsun1

OMG! There's actually a passenger seat in this one! Talk about a wild ride; I bet that'd have a pucker factor of about 9.9-10. Dig the "periscope" rearview mirror. Your arse is literally only about an inch or two off the ground in one of these. The only thing between the driver's bum in the seat and the road is a couple frame tubes('bout 5/8" dia.) and a thin sheet of metal (aluminum?).

post-26-1112999948_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

They way I heard it was that the Mustang's 390 had to be modified a bit to keep up with the Charger's 440.  Either way, it's rather obvious that the Ford 390 was no match for the Mopar 440.

The Mustang never got the 427 (although it was promised in early '67 brochures) but they did put it in the Cougar. If the Cougar could live with the 427 there's no reason the Mustang wouldn't have. Besides, the 428 SCJ was just as good.

I meant the 427 factory racers like The original Cyclone and that dealership Ford car.

I didnt know the couger wasn't a full frame :huh: and that they put a 428 in it,,,,, was it a side oiler or the "detuned" one

I didnt know the couger wasn't a full frame :huh: and that they put a 428 in it,,,,, was it a side oiler or the "detuned" one

Oh...make me go through all my boxes of books, why don't you? <_<

I do remember that it wasn't the side oiler.

Oh...make me go through all my boxes of books, why don't you? <_<

I do remember that it wasn't the side oiler.

:D

Nope, I was wrong.

From Muscle Color History:Mercury Muscle Cars

For buyers willing to fork over an extra $908, they could own a GT-E. This option was discontinued in December of 1967 after only 338 of the 427 ci side-oiler ground-pounders were sold. The 427 had been slotted under the Cougar's hood, but  concessions had to be made. Equipped with hydraulic lifters, the V-8 was rated at 390 horsepower at 5600 rpm. A mild camshaft and 10.9:1 compression did not allow the engine to realize its potential. The low riser version, using a low-rise type manifold under a 650 cfm Holley, used heads with larger valves for improved breathing. In the theme of sporting elegance, and emission controls, the only transmission bolted to the engine was the 3-speed Select Shift Merco-O-Matic* automatic.

There was also a dealer-installed dual four-barrel package, but I couldn't find any numbers on it.

* :lol:

the 440's a better engine for a few reasons:

1) affordability

2) tuneability (It came from the factory running better than the Hemi)

3) TORQUE!!!

4) even though it was a little short on the HP compared to the Hemi, a 440 Roadrunner could beat a Hemi Roadrunner out of the factory

5) 440's lighter than the Hemi.

so as much of a moparite as I am, the 427 Side Oiler could keep up with or possibly pass the Hemi, but if both cars were tuned (not modified, tuned) the Hemi would beat it.

the 440's a better engine for a few reasons:

1) affordability

2) tuneability (It came from the factory running better than the Hemi)

3) TORQUE!!!

4) even though it was a little short on the HP compared to the Hemi, a 440 Roadrunner could beat a Hemi Roadrunner out of the factory

5) 440's lighter than the Hemi.

so as much of a moparite as I am, the 427 Side Oiler could keep up with or possibly pass the Hemi, but if both cars were tuned (not modified, tuned) the Hemi would beat it.

both cars "tuned", no way, thats proven time again at the track.

Hemi is overrated IMHO ( even though I do like em)

Fastest street car back in the day was the ZL1 Vette. they didnt consider them cause only 2 were sold to the public. with headers and slicks, the white one ran 10:90's consistantly and the only reason the zl1 Camaro didnt make it down the track well was suspension and not being able to put a good size slick under it only running 12's (tunned)

But the one guy running full stock musclecar class and winning against all is a 1971 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Automatic running consistant high 11's,,, they allow slicks, open exhaust and a traction devise (leaf spring cars only)

The story goes that after filming Bullit wrapped, the remaining cars were to be scrapped, mainly because of potential liability. They were obviously short one Charger (due in no small part to the explosion scene) but its not 100% clear what the status was of the other three cars. However, one of the Mustangs did survive and has been in private hands ever since. Supposedly even Steve McQueen himself tracked it down tried to buy it before his death. However, the owner was and remains obstinant that the car remain in his posession. According to the last article I had read about it ( and they did verify the VIN number was indeed one of the two Mustang purchased by Warner Bros for Bullit) the car is in poor shape, both from the rigors of filming and nearly 40 years of deterioration. But it does survive, and if this dweeb that's sitting on it ever would do us the favor of dying, the car could potentially be restored.

Is it the one that he breaks the right front axle/suspension on right at the end of the chase?

Some interesting trivia: the guy, Scott Rosenberg, who wrote Con Air and I believe the Gone in Sixty Seconds remake was the founder/owner of Eternity Comics/Malibu Graphics for whom I drew Robotech and other manga-ish comics back in the 80's. Crazy huh?

You may drool over the Ferrari pics at Barchetta.cc, but what can you say about the rich people who buy them, but don't know how to drive them?

Wrecked Exotics

That's such a depressing website. A destroyed MB Gullwing... ugh.

Reminds me of all the kids in high school who's parents would buy them a nice car, only to have them wreck it a few months later... just on a much greater scale.

Not only is it depressing to see all the wrecked exotics, you know people died in most of those wrecks. I imagine most were young as well with a promising life ahead of them. I've seen this sort of thing in real life and it isn't pretty. In a way, I'm glad I can't afford a 500+hp super car because I would probably get all kinds of stupid in it.

I imagine most were spoiled rich brats, born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Fixed it for you. Sorry, but while its terrible to see such nice cars destroyed I can only read so many stories about "17 year old takes daddy's car for a joyride" before I stop caring. Heck, there was a clown here in town a few years ago who decided to play bumper cars with a phone pole (the telephone pole won) in his daddy's Viper. He managed to kill himself and his friend. <_<

I imagine most were spoiled rich brats, born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Fixed it for you. Sorry, but while its terrible to see such nice cars destroyed I can only read so many stories about "17 year old takes daddy's car for a joyride" before I stop caring. Heck, there was a clown here in town a few years ago who decided to play bumper cars with a phone pole (the telephone pole won) in his daddy's Viper. He managed to kill himself and his friend. <_<

I like to call it "bad key placement" and let it be known, if you dont kill yourself in it, I'll do ya the favor. That was taught to me at a very young age and I had a lot of respect for HP going from 180hp s-10 and graduating to driving cars with 500+ (one job, got to drive a Viper racecar, definatly not for the timid in driving skills, that thing could turn around on you at damn near any speed. I have never driven a stock one though. the one I drove was supposidlly 650+hp GTS,,, didnt feel like it though, guess Im ussed to violent HP and not as smooth as that was)