The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Yeah, I've pretty much maxed out the suspension now. Got a good clutch and an 2-way Nismo LSD in there, as well. After I get it looking halfway decent, it's time for engine mods, but those will wait until I've got the skill to handle more power in a slide.

you know, some of the retailers in So-cal have the Kei Office Suspension now..maybe try that to help out the car.

I'll take this one over all the ones mentioned so far, except the musclecars

csr_03b.jpg

It's the new Caterham CSR 260!

What's one of these little cars like to race? Here's a pretty good idea...

http://www.trackdaymedia.com/modules.php?n...op=getit&lid=90

Neat! Little sucker looks like it'd rattle your innards, but be worth it just for sh-ts and giggles...

I'm glad you all like the car.

In all honesty, it looks cleaner in the photos than it does in real life. It has a dings and scratches that just don't show up in the photos.

I am on vacation now, so I can't access a few of my pictures, but I can show you these:

It is mostly stock. Only the intake, carb, air filter, and exhaust (orig. headers) are upgraded.

Pic 1

post-26-1110692558_thumb.jpg

Pic 4

can't see much for the shaker...which is functional, but doesn't actuall close anymore. With the new intake and carb it just needs more air, so the inards of the shaker were removed to keep it open all the time (it used to only open under full throttle).

post-26-1110692862_thumb.jpg

Sorry to see your 240 in that shape, of all the smaller RWD Japanese models, the S14 is by far my favorite.

Hope to see it up and running again soon.

I too just don't "get" drifting. I know what it's about and and what the point is, I just don't get the attraction.

Like the car though.

Honestly, I didn't quite get it until I tried it. To me, it's the challenge, more than anything, that appeals to me. It's a very difficult thing to do, but it's an awesome experience when you pull it off. As a spectator sport, it lacks somewhat, although it makes for some very good eye candy, and very impressive battles. Still, I go to events to hang out and be part of the grassroots scene that still prevails. I think a large part of drifting's appeal is that it's so easy to get into. It's really all there is in the way of an affordable motorsport than involves things other than straight lines. Road Racing, and even some AutoX, are awesome, but preparing and campaiging a car is too much for most 18-25s.

I'm not planning on Kei Office. If I go for anything of the sort, it'll be Kazama. My TEINs are fine for now, though.

Edited by Commander McBride

Less than a week 'til SEBRING! Then the "big dogs" come out to play. Man, I wish I could be there this year--never thought I'd miss humpin' it in the heat, but what a race! Watching the tail lights go rocketing into the pitch blackness down the back straight, then disappearing around big horseshoe is something to behold. This ought to be a hum-dinger!

post-26-1110742540_thumb.jpg

Pic 4

can't see much for the shaker...which is functional, but doesn't actuall close anymore. With the new intake and carb it just needs more air, so the inards of the shaker were removed to keep it open all the time (it used to only open under full throttle).

You need some Macross stickers on it now....somehow it makes me think of Max

Yeah, but it's a drift car, so keeping up is irrelavent.

As for fixing it, it's more of an issue of just getting new stuff. New lights, new bumper, skirts, etc. Thing is, I have no money at all.

Sorry to see your Silvia all messed up. Sometime last year, people were posting pics of their crashed cars......can't seem to find that thread though....too bad, there were a couple of real good ones.

Did you change the engine also?

Can't wait for the C6 Corvette Z06? Order a Lingenfelter.

725 Horsepower 427 CID Intercooled Twin Turbo

One time limited production of 25 cars

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, Inc. we will be producing a special one time offering of the new C6 Corvette twin turbo.

Vehicle Specifications:

- 2005 C6 Corvette - Coupe or Convertible Color choice of: Black or Victory Red exterior with Ebony or Cashmere interior

- 6 Speed manual transmission

- Z51 Option package: Engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler

- Z51 springs, sway bars and shocks

- Navigation system

European specification vehicles are also eligible to be included in this series.

Lingenfelter package inclusions:

- 725 horsepower 427 CID Lingenfelter intercooled twin turbo package

- Lingenfelter C6 Corvette exhaust system by Corsa

- Lingenfelter custom aluminum wheels

- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires

- Upgraded brake system

- Custom Lingenfelter leather seats & steering wheel

- Unique body enhancements including: Hood, front spoiler side skirts and rear bumper cover

- Special commemorative emblems and serial numbering

To be included in the commemorative edition series, all cars must be ordered specifically for this Lingenfelter package as specified above.  Vehicles with other options can not be substituted and this package will be installed only on new vehicles.  Corvette's will be drop shipped to Decatur, Indiana from Bowling Green, Kentucky .

Orders are now being accepted, please call today for more information and ordering procedures.  Once all 25 are sold no further orders will be accepted for this very special limited edition Corvette.

post-26-1110748491.jpg

Edited by areaseven

It's really all there is in the way of an affordable motorsport than involves things other than straight lines. Road Racing, and even some AutoX, are awesome, but preparing and campaiging a car is too much for most 18-25s.

That's not true in the least, I'd be very hard pressed to find something cheaper than Auto-X. With drifting the way you go through tires and mess up body panels (not to mention feees for drift days) definately comes out more expensive than auto-xing. Auto-x has enough variety in it's classes you can run a stock class and not have to buy anything, unless you feel like shelling out for r-comps to stay competitive.

Autocross is generally still pretty cheap isn't it? I haven't gone for years, but have discovered something way more fun....track events. There's a local club that hold these at whatever track is closeby (Mission Raceway, Seattle International Raceway, or Portland International Raceway). For $200 CAD, you get 100 minutes of track time. It's well worth saving up for.

Usually autocross costs about $25-30, depends on who's organizing it though. I Run with the San Francisco Region (which happens to be the best SCCA region in the US-- just means I get my ass kicked that much more) and you also have to be a SCCA member. So $30 per event plus $70 for the SCCA membership.

Downside with autocross is relatively little seat time per dollar, compared to track events. Upside is that it's smallr amounts (easier to save up for), safer (lower speeds), and it's actual timed competition, which goes a long way.

If I had more money I'd be spending my time at Infineon and Thunderhill, but I'm a poor college student so I'll keep getting my ass handed to me by Miatas in autocross.

I forgot to elaborate on the point in my post.

The thing with autocross is, the classes are very restrictive. Anything more than a near-stock car requires a large budget and heavy mods to be competitive. Additionally, it's all low-speed cone stuff, no real track driving. The appeal with drifting is that it allows such freedom with modification. Where else can you go that big flashy rims and aero are acceptable in a competition event.

By the way, I'm looking for an opinion. Do I replace all my stuff with new stock stuff, go Kouki (97-98) front, or go for a bodykit? The car is going to stay the same color.

I forgot to elaborate on the point in my post.

The thing with autocross is, the classes are very restrictive. Anything more than a near-stock car requires a large budget and heavy mods to be competitive. Additionally, it's all low-speed cone stuff, no real track driving. The appeal with drifting is that it allows such freedom with modification. Where else can you go that big flashy rims and aero are acceptable in a competition event.

By the way, I'm looking for an opinion. Do I replace all my stuff with new stock stuff, go Kouki (97-98) front, or go for a bodykit? The car is going to stay the same color.

S15 front end fits on your car right? I know, it's been done to death, but it still looks good.

Anyone seen the photos from the Geneva Auto Show? As I predicted, the Ferrari F430 Spider made an appearance. Always a stunner. Unexpected was the Lamborghini Gallardo Roadster. The Maserati Birdcage concept is incredible. Of course, since it is a Pininfarina concept.

And the Koenigsegg CCR...

post-26-1110824537.jpg

speaking of C5 Vettes...

I was on highway 8 yesterday about noon heading towards the beach.

I look ahead of me down the road aboout 100 yards and and some #ucking idiot in a vette is doing like 720's in the middle of the highway!!

guy must have just lost control and over-corrected. he didn't hit anyone either. it was totally insane though.. :blink::blink:

guy must have just lost control and over-corrected. he didn't hit anyone either. it was totally insane though.. :blink::blink:

Its a good thing, considering the car is plastic. Vette wrecks are nuts, when they do crash the body of the car just disinigrates.

damn.. that would have been cool to see.. :lol: the guy deserved to have his car smashed to bits..

I'm still trying to figure out how that guy/girl got that car to spin so many times like that..

i figured with those wide ass tires and racing suspension those cars have it would be very hard to spin.

guess not.

i figured with those wide ass tires and racing suspension those cars have it would be very hard to spin.

guess not.

Never under estimate a dumbass in in the middle of a mid-life crisis trying to impress someone at high speeds in his new toy. But hey, if I wrecked I'd rather have to replace plastic body panels than metal ones, much cheaper. Reminds me of my motorcycle maitenance teacher telling us how much he feared dropping his 999R, given that it has completely CF fairings which means you'll start shelling out $5k for pieces just to fix a crack.

Wrong. They have stock classes, where the only mods allowed are pretty much aftermarket shocks and r-comps. Classes are broken up so you're only competing against equal cars (sort of), so the idea is you can be semi-competitive in just about anything. My friend's Dad is owning D-stock in a '01 Celica with nothing but shocks and 720's. Definately cheaper than any other motorsport.

As for big flashy rims and "aero" we're talking about RACING here, performance > looks in this situation so bitiching about not being able to roll up on bling bling with carbon fiber hoods and junk your car doesn't even need is a poor argument. Anyways, you're bitching about motorsports being so expensive? Stop putting unecessary junk on your car and you'll have plenty of money to do race events.

Most autocross courses I've been to top out around 60mph, but events like those put on by the AAS (designed for Corvettes and dem big 'Merican cars) usually see cars hitting the top of 3rd gear. I'll also throw in the fact that autocross drivers make more decisions per minute than F1 drivers. Just because it's done with cones in a parking lot doesn't make it any less of a motorsport, and it's actually probably the best to start out with since autocrossers cross over VERY easily into track driving. Drivers going from track to autocross don't do so well.

Drifitng is nifty, but it's the motorsports equivalent of ice skating.

teehee.. I'm getting a "tip chip" and catback exhaust next week for the A4... can't wait! :D

Already got european headlights, xenon, turbo timer & boost gauge and ECU chip.. just need those other two things and my car will be all done.. for now. B))

I'm not saying I'm into drifting because of the flashy rims and aero, just that that's what makes it appeal to a lot of people.

The thing about stock classes in AutoX is that they are VERY competitive. Because you can't use better tuning to help, you have to be an incredible driver. Additionally, as I said, few of the drift types are anywhere near stock. I've got adjustible control arms, toe arms, traction rods, tension rods, coilovers, strut bars, and aftermarket differential and clutch, and so on, but no motor mods. If I wanted to compete with this car, I'd have to put a large amount of money into motor.

And, when it came down to it, I'd still be driving around cones in a parking lot. Sorry to say it, but after being at the real track, AutoX bores me. It's not much of a track foundation, either. Among road racing circles, Autocrossers are the butt of every joke. And you can tell the autocrossers at a track event because they're the guys taking the narrow line and afraid to get close to other cars or exceed 60MPH.

The thing about stock classes in AutoX is that they are VERY competitive. Because you can't use better tuning to help, you have to be an incredible driver. Additionally, as I said, few of the drift types are anywhere near stock. I've got adjustible control arms, toe arms, traction rods, tension rods, coilovers, strut bars, and aftermarket differential and clutch, and so on, but no motor mods. If I wanted to compete with this car, I'd have to put a large amount of money into motor.

I should mention first that you don't have to be competitive to have fun, so bitching about being a bad driver is a poor excuse. How else are you going to learn and get better unless you practice and get your ass handed to you? Every time I go out I get my ass handed to me by Miatas, but it's still fun. Expecting to be able to be Schumacher when you step out onto the track is idiotic.

You need to read the SCCA class regulations. Most of your mods would pass in the Street Touring class, which allows almost no engine modifications, so that excuse of yours is bunk. The sad truth is that you, or any other "drifter" or dude with a suped up car is going to go to an autocross course and suck like a NASCAR driver on a right hand turn. People won't complain about illegal modifications until you start beating people, which won't happen for a while, I can promise you that. So that excuse is worthless.

And, when it came down to it, I'd still be driving around cones in a parking lot. Sorry to say it, but after being at the real track, AutoX bores me. It's not much of a track foundation, either. Among road racing circles, Autocrossers are the butt of every joke.

All offense intended, a self-proclaimed "drifter" has NO right to talk trash about any legitimate form of motorpsorts. Said it before, say it again: ice skating on four wheels.

Secondly, have you ever autocrossed? I sincerely doubt you have, as I have yet to meet anyone who had any semblance of humility proclaim that autocross is "boring." If you did autocross and found it "boring," more than likely you got your ass handed to you and would prefer non-competitive events like track days and drifting. THAT'S OKAY. But don't talk down on autocross because of it.

And you can tell the autocrossers at a track event because they're the guys taking the narrow line and afraid to get close to other cars or exceed 60MPH.

Damn! You're right! Autocross has made me so afraid of driving my car at full speed, I won't go over 60mph on the freeway! Damn, where have I gone wrong? :rolleyes:

No, actually, I just don't find it fun to be alone on the track. I find it much more enjoyable to battle wheel to wheel at the limits of grip. I prefer being in direct competition, which is why I don't like autocross. I learned racing from road racers, and started driving by battling it out in the mountains with my old Benz. After the racing I've done, running SOLO isn't fun anymore.

I'm not saying I'm into drifting because of the flashy rims and aero,  just that that's what makes it appeal to a lot of people.

And, when it came down to it, I'd still be driving around cones in a parking lot. Sorry to say it, but after being at the real track, AutoX bores me. It's not much of a track foundation, either. Among road racing circles, Autocrossers are the butt of every joke. And you can tell the autocrossers at a track event because they're the guys taking the narrow line and afraid to get close to other cars or exceed 60MPH.

a) I signed up on this forum to be a crusader of truth and justice to car prejudice everywhere

b) WTF is macross

That being said, Yellowlightman is right on except I think the joke is that drifting, because of its subjective nature, is 'the FIGURE SKATING' of motorsports. And I figure its probably closer to the 'Barney on Ice' end of ice skating. In the Olympic stuff, at least people get emotional and stuff. Anyways--

I would like to preface this with saying I have no problem with organized drifting. I think D1 is an excellent addition to the motorsports scene since anything that helps motorsports grow is probably a positive thing, and tail-out driving is a whole lot of fun. If I was to go on and say "drifting sucks, you suck," I'd be no better then all the pencil-dick mouth breathers that make fun of 'parking lot racing.'

What is it that bores you about autocross? Is it the fact that autocrossers are forced to deal with turns at a density SEVEN TIMES GREATER then formula one racers? Or maybe the fact that its timed, and therefor it exposes your inadaquacies as a driver? Either one works for me.

I've driven on 'real tracks' too. Sears Point, actually--one of the most technical (club racer's words, not mine) in the United States. I had about two years (bout 45 events ) of autocross experience under my belt before I hit that gorgeous slithering pavement and it took me about 6.4 seconds to exceed this mythical 60mph barrier you speak of. I went on to hit 110mph in the 'esses,' and passed all cars in the beginner groups and all cars in the intermediate groups. One was a Porsche Turbo. Does that prove anything? Nope. Do I enjoy saying I passed a Porsche Turbo in a stock-motored Street-Touring X prepared '95 325is? Oh hell yeah! Not only did I pass the Porsche Turbo, I PASSED MY G'DDAM INSTRUCTOR on our last session out. She was in a Miata. Did it give me a big head? Nope. She was having allignment issues, and I know deep down she is a far superior driver then myself. In fact, shes driven ITS FC's for a couple years, done a few endurance races (ITB Mk2 GTi in the 25 hour Thunderhill is her most recent long-hour race), and currently has entered a sponsorship to drive a Grand-Am BMW Z3 Coupe. Serious stuff. And you know what she has said about autocrossers?

All my students [she is a well respected driving instructor in the area, with many many students under her instruction popping their track cherry] that are autocrossers are nearly always extremely smooth and have excellent car control.  Good confidence levels, too.

I got my 'drift' on that track day, as well. The first few sessions were on a soaking wet track. Water plus tire build up equals an extremely slippery surface, and more then once I found my car 20-40 degrees sideways, giving more then one full turn of opposite lock to having to catch it. Where did I learn the car-control skills to allow me to keep the car going in the direction I wanted to? You guessed it, autocross.

So... I don't know which Initial-D-thumping friends you are talking to when you guys make jokes about autocrossers being the grannies of the track world, because its a stereotype I have *never* heard before.

Anyways, just think about what you are writing and who might be reading it. I doubt you are as ignorant as you sound, and you just figured nobody would call you on it. I come from the San Francisco Region of the SCCA, a region notorious for creating more national champions then *any region in the United States.* We take this very serious, and the thought of some drifting punk thinking he is better then me because he is good at losing control of his car makes my blood boil.

No, actually, I just don't find it fun to be alone on the track. I find it much more enjoyable to battle wheel to wheel at the limits of grip. I prefer being in direct competition, which is why I don't like autocross. I learned racing from road racers, and started driving by battling it out in the mountains with my old Benz. After the racing I've done, running SOLO isn't fun anymore.

d00d... lay off the Initial D... :p:D

What kind of wheel to wheel racinghave you done? You said you've done track days, so I've guessing your "exagerating" your passing of other cars by describing it as "battling."

As Panzer said, lay off the Initial D. Driving like an assclown on mountain roads gets you killed, and there's absolutely nothing cool about a kid who kills himself racing on a curvy road because he "thinks" he knows how to handle a car. You've posted about how you crashed your Dad's Miata doing dumb poo on a mountain road, so I don't think your mountain driving should be a badge of honor. For you, or anyone for that matter.

I'm not saying I'm into drifting because of the flashy rims and aero,  just that that's what makes it appeal to a lot of people.

I'm still having a little trouble with the whole "aero" thing in drifting. I mean--and this is simply for the sake of argument, looking from a logical pt. of view--why would you put on traction adding devices (i.e. big friggin splitters and spoilers front and rear) when the whole premise of what you're doing is continuously stepping the rear out and holding the car out over and beyond the limits of the traction circle? I know, logic hasn't got a damn thing to do with it...image is everything, baby!

Now if it's functional, I say more power to ya. Hell, I want a deeper chin spoiler and side flutes with brake ducts on my Superoo myself. Some day people are going to look back on all the accessorizing and neon paint jobs the same way we do about fat shoe laces, glam-rock hairdos, or clock necklaces; a lot of people are going to have to ask themselves "what the F--K was I thinking?" These things will probably "go the way of the dinosaur" and suffer a natural extinction, like custom vans from the 70s.

Edited by reddsun1

I'm still having a little trouble with the whole "aero" thing in drifting. I mean--and this is simply for the sake of argument, looking from a logical pt. of view--why would you put on traction adding devices (i.e. big friggin splitters and spoilers front and rear) when the whole premise of what you're doing is continuously stepping the rear out and holding the car out over and beyond the limits of the traction circle? I know, logic hasn't got a damn thing to do with it...image is everything, baby!

Well, there's the logic in drifiting around a corner? It's slower.

The heart of drift is to look cool, it's not about performance or speed or logic.

What's a Superoo?

What non-drifters don't realize about drift is that more traction is a better thing. By having more traction, the car is more controllable in a slide, and angle can be increased without losing control.

And, yellowlightman, I didn't meant to really insult AutoXers, just say that it doesn't do it for me. I'm just doing the same thing all the road racers do, poking fun at the AutoXers. It's sort of an unwritten rule that we have to do that.

By the way, I'm long gone from the mountain scene. I've gotten my car to the point where running hard on narrow, rough, mountain roads is just way too hard. And, honestly, it's just not fun compared to the real track.