The model that started it all... Starcruiser 1

wwwmwww

Hello Everyone,

Here is something I wanted to share. This is a picture of the box that the very first model I ever REALLY loved came in. I came across this while I was at my parents for Christmas. They gave this to me for Christmas back in 1979 or 1980 and I played with it till it fell apart. All I have left is the box. I filed it away with the intent of looking for another later. I probably waited to long to dig this out again but if any of you guys knows where to get one of these let me know.

Either way I wanted to share. I still think this was one very cool kit. Aside from that I don't know much about it. Is this thing from a TV series or Movie? Were there any other kits made to go with this one?

Enjoy,

Carl

post-26-1104360375_thumb.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

Here's what I found.

Based on the title craft from Gerry Anderson's STARCRUISER story concept, as featured in "Look-In" magazine during the late 1970s. Airfix marketed a snap-together kit titled "Starcruiser 1" (No. 07170-9). Box artwork showed the craft in space with its engines firing. Kit was done in white styrene with clear windows and canopy. The assembled model may be separated into four independent units. The model was originally conceived as a die cast toy, but the manufacturing process presented many technical problems and though the prototype (displayed in the Blackpool exhibition for some years) was used for reference, inevitably many parts had to be changed to suit die casting requirements When the toy reverted to a model kit, these changes were transferred. Two crewmen are included, though interior detail is limited, but the instruction sheet is excellent with "Typical Mission Sequence" art and detailed background information concerning the craft.

Also by Airfix is a snap-together, 1/32nd scale, kit of the STARCRUISER INTERCEPTOR (No.05174-5). Quality is high Especially noteworthy is the sheet of rub-on markings, a considerable improvement over adhesive paper ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a few exceptions, models described in this article have long been out of production. Many of those which were made were marketed in limited areas of the world, inaccessible to many in Anderson fandom. None of the kits listed, and with which I am familiar, are 100% accurate representations.

I don't know why I didn't do this first. I just took a look at eBay and didn't expect to see anything. What are the odds of finding a particular 25 year old snap together kit on eBay at any given time. I was thinking about ZERO. And despite being correct I certainly shocked myself when I spotted this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5946285012

I'd much rather have the kit itself but I'll have to think about this display. It looks cool. If someone here would rather have the display just let me know and I'll pass.

At the auction it says "This is a 1979 US Airfix Starcruiser 1 space ship from one of the Gerry Anderson Science Fiction shows."

I take it this is the Gerry Anderson being talked about:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026755/

He's the creator of Space 1999 and many other Science Fiction shows but to my knowledge I haven't seen this particular model in any of these series but I'm sure there is many of them that I haven't seen.

Carl

post-26-1104361699_thumb.jpg

Here's what I found.

Based on the title craft from Gerry Anderson's STARCRUISER story concept, as featured in "Look-In" magazine during the late 1970s.

SNIP...

but the manufacturing process presented many technical problems and though the prototype (displayed in the Blackpool exhibition for some years) was used for reference,

I found where you found that.

http://www.darkstar2.demon.co.uk/models/an...htm#STARCRUISER

Thanks for all the info guys. Anyone familiar with the "Look-In" magazine? I'd be interested in reading that story concept.

Also I'd LOVE to see the prototype that was on display "in the Blackpool exhibition for some years". Oh I hope there are some pictures of that floating around out there some place. What are the odds of that prototype ever making it's way to eBay? I'd doubt it still exists but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Carl

Box artwork showed the craft in space with its engines firing.

I wonder if this means there are two different pieces of box artwork out there for this kit. My box doesn't fit this description.

Carl

P.S. I guess that's what this is:

spacef5.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

I used to have this kit as a kid. Very cool. Yes, the UK version had different (and better IMO) bocx art than the US version.

No, to the best of my knowledge, the design nevery appeared in anuy of the Gerry Anderson shows and I've seen most of them.

Graham

no need to add "Carl" at the end of every post... we know who you are..

Ok... for you I won't sign this one. I'm just used to signing my posts. I think the anonymity the internet offers tends to get people in trouble. When you start saying things on line that you aren't willing to put your name behind or say to your neighbors face the conversation can go down hill rather fast. Just my two cents...

I used to have this model, and I think I still have some parts of it somewhere (I remember seeing it in the past couple of years), probably in one of the bags of toys I put in the loft :)

I don't remember what series/film it was from though.

Wow!!! It's so cool that so many of you used to have this model too. The ONLY one I ever remembered seeing in my youth was the one I had. I expected this hunt for a 25 year old kit to be a lost cause. Based on some of the information I've come across since yesterday it sounds like this kit isn't really that uncommon to come across. I'll have to keep my eyes on eBay. I'll see if I can get one with the UK box art to go with the US box I already have.

Oh damn... I also had this kid as a kid! :lol:

This thing must have been some sort of rite of passage for us '80s kids.

I think I got it from my grandparents as an easter gift of all things in 1980 or so (I was 10 so it would have had to have been '80). I remember hastily putting it together at their house using old airplane glue of my dad's from the 60's that still was good somehow and then playing with what was left of it. If memory serves me the little boxcar thing had sliding doors which I distinctly remember I glued shut. Then again I also remember getting boosted on that "classic" airplane glue while building it so it's anyone's guess if it was modeling skill or my state of fog that caused that thing to go together all wonky.

I sucked at models then as I do now.

i've got a feeling the art for the UK version was the same as the cardboard box version, or very similar.

What I can't remember is if it was snap fix who did it in the U.K. or someone else, for some unknown reason i'm thinking matchbox but i don't think that could be right - it was most likely airfix.

Edited by Nilrem