The Yamato 1/48 VF-1

kensei

I was just wondering what product in the toy world triggered the release of all these great quality, highly articulated and ultra detailed toys we have nowadays? From my limited knowledge and experience, it seemed to start with the VF-1 from Yamato. The 1/48 scale that is. Or was the idea of developing such toys long in the making, and the VF-1 just happened to be out first? This could also extend to the Transformers MP Prime and Binaltech lines. (It does preclude however, the Toynami MPCs. :D:lol: )

Complex and pricy collectibles really began with Banadai's Soul of Chogokin line back in 1997. Later, garage manufacturers like Studio Half Eye putting out crazy stuff like the perfect change Getter Robo. Released in the latter half of 2000, Yamato's 1/72 Macross Plus valks were relative late-comers to the adult collectible toy market. By the time the 1:48 appeared on the scene in November 2002, it wasn't really anything unique or special.

But I guess we can thank Yamato for proving to the industry that there's a market for over-priced, obsessively-detailed collectibles with marginal QC. >:>

I can't speak for the Japanese market since I only follow Macross and now BT. From my perspective, there has always been high-quality, high-priced toys/collectibles in that market. It seems to be a more recent thing for the US market.

The change in the US toy market is largely due to McFarlane and his original Spawn stuff. McF raised the bar for detail and helped to move action figures from the 4-5" scale to the 6-8" scale. All the other companies had to play catch up to McF to remain competitive. A more recent change was the advent of highly articulated figures by Toy Biz. This has mostly obsoleted the old 5 point (neck, shoulders, hips) standard for articulation. It seems that articulation is becoming more important in Japanese figures, although they have always been a bit better articulated than American figures. Another change in the American market has been the advent of a number of new companies (Toynami, Toycom, SOTA, Paliades, Jazwares, N2 Toys, BBI, Mezco, Art Asylum, etc.). McF proved that a small start-up can make a change if they have a high quality product and good management.

I feel that these changes in the US market have indirectly helped the Japanese market as well. I started paying attention to toys again when Spawn came out. Since I was greedy and wanted more high-quality, highly-detailed toys than the US market could offer at the time I looked to the Japanese market and realized that it was already filled with all sorts of great stuff. Even with all the improvements to the merchandise in the US market, I still feel that the quality of the Japanese stuff is better.

I can't speak for the Japanese market since I only follow Macross and now BT. From my perspective, there has always been high-quality, high-priced toys/collectibles in that market. It seems to be a more recent thing for the US market.

The change in the US toy market is largely due to McFarlane and his original Spawn stuff. McF raised the bar for detail and helped to move action figures from the 4-5" scale to the 6-8" scale. All the other companies had to play catch up to McF to remain competitive. A more recent change was the advent of highly articulated figures by Toy Biz. This has mostly obsoleted the old 5 point (neck, shoulders, hips) standard for articulation. It seems that articulation is becoming more important in Japanese figures, although they have always been a bit better articulated than American figures. Another change in the American market has been the advent of a number of new companies (Toynami, Toycom, SOTA, Paliades, Jazwares, N2 Toys, BBI, Mezco, Art Asylum, etc.). McF proved that a small start-up can make a change if they have a high quality product and good management.

I feel that these changes in the US market have indirectly helped the Japanese market as well. I started paying attention to toys again when Spawn came out. Since I was greedy and wanted more high-quality, highly-detailed toys than the US market could offer at the time I looked to the Japanese market and realized that it was already filled with all sorts of great stuff. Even with all the improvements to the merchandise in the US market, I still feel that the quality of the Japanese stuff is better.

Excellent post!

The gap has indeed narrowed between the two markets, due to ebay and various online stores and web sites.

The one thing that surprised me this year is the non articulated batman figures that Yamato did and the highly articulated Robocop figure McFarlane did. Aoshima, a japanese company, released their own line of Robocop figures to be released in the US under the Skynet banner. And it's nowhere the quality of the McFarlane sculpt. The only thing going for it are the features that includes a working leg holster.

I pseronally believe it was toyanomi~!

When they said they where gonna make the best VF-1, and it was compariable to the 1/60 (i personally prefer the 1/60 over the veritech), the robotech fans could argue theres it better.

I think Yamato wanted to make it absolutely clear, no question about it, that there veritech sucks, and their VF-1 is the best.

If toyanomi didnt release their veritech, i doubt 1/48's would exist today.

WOW!! That perfect change Getter Robo is one of the coolest mechs i've ever seen ... anyone know how much those go for / how hard they are to find?

The getter that does all Getter 1, 2, 3? They sold for ~$450USD when they first came out a few years back. Price has probably gone up since it's a low production run but you can still occasionaly see it popping up here and there or ebay. I think glane21 had one for sale awhile back. Not sure if he sold it or not though.

McFarlane toys were always disappointing to me when I found that the articulation only allowed for 1 or 2 cool poses. :(

I agree with Max here. Also I've found that they fall apart really easily. McFarlane toys are more like semi-articulate statues that were made for static displays only.

But u have to hand it to MCF that they do make cheap detailed stuff albeit very limited quantities. They aren't meant to be played with, that's a given.

They take the action out of the action figures...

There's really no need to make toys that cheap in quality, especially in the cast of the Matrix APU and the sSentinels, which was made to look like you were suppose to move it.

I don't get the point of putting stupid articulations that make no sense. If you're gonna make statues make statues...

The action figures that have really captured my attention these days are Takara's Microman figures. The figures that came out last year and especially this year have some amazing articulation! They've finally put out a female body figure this year. Yeah, they reuse the same body type for all the figures, but the different colored paint schemes, individual heads, bunch of extra hands, and accessories make it worth picking up most of the figures. They're going or have put out figures from Devilman, Aliens, and Predator. They've already released Batman, Batgirl, and Catwoman through Previews as well as the male and female Acroyer and Microman figures they put out this year, so they can be picked up for less than they were originally in the original Japanese packages, too! Takara needs to pick up more anime and US licenses to put out figures with these super-articulated bodies.