Yet Another NGE thread. GREAT series!

GreatMoose

Well, I took the plunge. I've watched the entire Evangelion series over the course of about two weeks (due to work, wife, etc...). I included the original and "Resurrection" versions of 21-23. I REALLY enjoyed this show. As soon as episode 26 was over, there was just one word that could sum up the series: "BIG". More on that in a minute.

Frankly, I came away from it feeling pretty good, and I can't understand the problems that a lot of people have with it. I thought all the characters were great, the story was fantastic, and of course, the animation was superb. Shinji, the target of much vitriol, did not come across as whiney or really even unreasonably angsty. He seemed like a normal kid to me. Asuka was freakin' great! I loved her character. She may have been a little over the top, but I think the causes of her attitude were adequately explained. Same with Rei (or all the other characters, for that matter).

About my 'big' comment. After finishing the series, it struck me as to the overwhelming SCALE of what Anno was trying to acomplish.

I thought the ending was superb, one of the COOLEST endings to a series or movie that I've ever seen. And the ONLY ending that has ever made me think. While I can understand why some people think that the ending came out of nowhere, I didn't see it that way. To me, the whole series had been building up to that end. Now, I DO think that the end was a little "Shinji-centric", but I guess that's to be expected. I really felt good about it. Heck, I finished up the series (22-26) in one sitting and was in a better mood when I left than when I started. Now, I do have End of Evangelion also, but I have not watched it yet as I am perfectly happy with the end as it is. Should I still watch EoE, or will it ruin it for me? Anyway, these are just a few of my thoughts on one of the best shows I have ever seen.

My Rating: A++

Edited by GreatMoose

While I was perfectly fine with the TV ending, the EoE ending is my favorite. Actually, I sort of look at them as the same ending in a way: In the TV ending we're stuck inside Shinji's head and hearing/seeing all the static. In EoE we see what's really going on, outside of Shinji's head. I'm not saying that's what was intended, but that's how it works for me. And while some people find it a more depressing ending than the series, I find it just the opposite. I wouldn't change a thing.

As far as asking advice on wether or not to watch it, you may as well not ask. Half will tell you to watch it, half will tell you not to. The only thing you can do is decide for yourself.

I really thought I was going to enjoy NGE but I didn't. I might need to watch it again because I don't get what is so great about it. The animation is top-notch but I was quickly annoyed by Shenji and the whole thing with his a-hole dad. I didn't really understand what the deal was with the enemy and the meaning of the religous symbols. I later found out that the creators just threw Western religous stuff in because it looked cool.

Rhaxephon was fairly similar and much better IMO.

First half of the series is great. One of the best Ultra Man/super robot parodies ever. Second half was eh.

Sometimes I wonder what direction Anno originally intended to take the show. Or if it was just his plan to milk his "mental state" at the time. I mean, I like the show... I just don't buy into the tortured soul of Anno, especially considering the show's popularity.

I sort of look at them as the same ending in a way: In the TV ending we're stuck inside Shinji's head and hearing/seeing all the static. In EoE we see what's really going on, outside of Shinji's head.

exactly how i see it.

Personally, I think its the most overrated anime series of all time. Aim For the Top! was a VASTLY superior production by Gainax.

More than Akira or DBZ? :p

Shows can be good and over-rated at the same time. Look at Naruto. :)

i think NGE is too open for interpetation to be "rated" at all.

i dont' tell people it's good, i tell them "i loved it."

personally i think it's a good "break in" show for people looking to get into anime. it mocks/parodies alot of anime cliche's and offers ALOT to talk about.

i've also found it to be more popular amongst people who don't usually like anime.

Well, I watched EoE.  VERY cool.  Very good.  The end was good, and in my brain I know it was a happy ending, but I still feel a little sad, and I can't figure out why.  Good movie though.

Just let out a big scream and enjoy the trip that EOE is. :lol: