Japanese 2.0 Audio. English Subtitles.

Macross Flashback 2012

post-25-1098501608.jpg

Macross II

post-25-1098828446.jpg

Macross Plus

post-25-1098834239.jpg

Japan Region 2.

Japanese 2.0 Audio. English 2.0 Audio. No Subtitles.

post-25-1098834225.jpg

Japan Region 2.

Japanese 2.0 Audio. English 2.0 Audio. No Subtitles.

post-25-1098833193.jpg

Manga Region 1.

Japanese 2.0 Audio. English 5.1 Audio. English Subtitles.

post-25-1099181075.jpg

Manga Region 1.

Japanese 2.0 Audio. English 5.1 Audio. English Subtitles.

post-25-1098833175.jpg

Manga Region 1.

Japanese 5.1 Audio. English Subtitles.

Edited by AlphaHX

For DVD's a good source of reviews is

That is not a good source. One, it's for illegal bootlegs and two, it's not a very credible site even for those since it's mostly populated by people who only buy those things and as such have rather 'low' standards, to put it mildly.

For DVD's a good source of reviews is

That is not a good source. One, it's for illegal bootlegs and two, it's not a very credible site even for those since it's mostly populated by people who only buy those things and as such have rather 'low' standards, to put it mildly.

my thoughts exactly. thats why didnt use it. ewilen, thanx for trying to help tho. :)

If you're not looking for bootlegs, then forget about Macross 7, DYRL, Flash Back 2012, and Macross Zero.

You can get a really bad, non-bootleg English dub of DYRL on videotape. Not DVD.

The only non-bootleg Macross DVDs with English subtitle or dub are the SDF Macross Animeigo set mentioned upthread, the Madman (Australia) version of the same, and the Manga Entertainment releases of Macross Plus and Macross II.

http://www.manga.com/

http://www.manga.co.uk/

The Australian (SDF Macross) and UK (M+/MII) editions might be a better deal if you can play R2 DVDs. I got the UK (PAL) "Macross Plus Ultimate Edition", which includes M+ OVA and Movie in one set, for substantially less than the separate US editions. Note that there is no different content-wise between the US/AU versions of SDF, or the US/UK versions of Plus. So in that respect, if you want to avoid bootlegs, your decision is easy.

If you want anything else, you have no choice but HK bootlegs, fansubs (which are bootlegs), or learning Japanese.

I recommended that site because it's the only place I've found that even attempts to systematically catalog and rate bootlegs. If there's a similar site that rates fansubs, please post it.

Edited by ewilen

If you're not looking for bootlegs, then forget about Macross 7, DYRL, Flash Back 2012, and Macross Zero.

You can get a really bad, non-bootleg English dub of DYRL on videotape. Not DVD.

The only non-bootleg Macross DVDs with English subtitle or dub are the SDF Macross Animeigo set mentioned upthread, the Madman (Australia) version of the same, and the Manga Entertainment releases of Macross Plus and Macross II.

http://www.manga.com/

http://www.manga.co.uk/

The Australian (SDF Macross) and UK (M+/MII) editions might be a better deal if you can play R2 DVDs. I got the UK (PAL) "Macross Plus Ultimate Edition", which includes M+ OVA and Movie in one set, for substantially less than the separate US editions. Note that there is no different content-wise between the US/AU versions of SDF, or the US/UK versions of Plus. So in that respect, if you want to avoid bootlegs, your decision is easy.

If you want anything else, you have no choice but HK bootlegs, fansubs (which are bootlegs), or learning Japanese.

I recommended that site because it's the only place I've found that even attempts to systematically catalog and rate bootlegs. If there's a similar site that rates fansubs, please post it.

oops, i guess i should clarify. i dont mind bootlegs. the problem that i had with the site was the ratings. i didnt feel that they were accurate enuf. sorry for the misunderstanding.

I agree that the numerical ratings at that site may not be very useful. However, there are also reviews--which is how you can tell the ratings are skewed. I recall at least one review where the person mentioned problems in the video and/or subtitles, only to give the disc a high rating.

Anyway, again, you have to start somewhere, and that site does provide the beginnings of a list of what's out there.

I agree that the numerical ratings at that site may not be very useful. However, there are also reviews--which is how you can tell the ratings are skewed. I recall at least one review where the person mentioned problems in the video and/or subtitles, only to give the disc a high rating.

Anyway, again, you have to start somewhere, and that site does provide the beginnings of a list of what's out there.

ive been going thru the reviews and unfortunately some of them dont even have reviews. :(

ill do what i can. thanx again. :)

For fansubs/rips, as well as DVDs, it'd be useful if people could go into some detail. Some things to think about:

Clarity

Lack of artifacts

Anamorphic?

Hardcoded subs?

Quality of translation

Audio quality

Audio features (mono, stereo, 5.1, etc.)

those would be nice things to review too if i actually had all the dvds in hand to do actually determine myself but i dont. ill see how i do getting thru this and i might add to it afterwards.

chances are i cant get into such details such as clarity, artifacts, etc w/o actually first hand viewing it but i probably can try to cover audio and subs after this.

added mac plus.

Those R2 cases are REALLY gorgeous. It's too bad we got stuck with the US stuff. :(

i agree... those covers are sweeeeeet. i need to get my hands on them. anyone want to point me towards the right direction? ;)

I have the first volume(thanks to Blackaces). Inside, each DVD is in its own jewel case. The video isn't as dark as Mangle's version. It has the English dub. Japanese subs. Also Macross Future Chronicle was kind of a neat extra. These box sets are hard to find, I think they are out of print. The regular R2 DVDs are easy to find(check yesasia or cdjapan).

The Japanese region 2 DVD of Macross Plus Movie Edition blows away the crap ass Mangle DVD. Mangle's is a VHS dump. The R2 DVD is crisp and clean.

Some specs on the R2 DVD: Japanese 2.0, no English subs, and no chapter search. Extras are a trailer for the PSX game and some still shots of the movie program IIRC. One of the inserts is a fold out mini-poster of the YF-19 and YF-21. It's more like a sketch or handrawn I guess.

oh and those bootleg Macross II dvds are just Mangle's version on 2 DVDs lol. No English dub though. They even copy Mangle's obvious layer change...I was hoping they'd be rips of the Region 2 DVDs. Also the menus have Macross Plus music and animation but has a generic Macross II logo lol

Edited by dejr8bud

oh and those bootleg Macross II dvds are just Mangle's version on 2 DVDs lol. No English dub though. They even copy Mangle's obvious layer change...I was hoping they'd be rips of the Region 2 DVDs. Also the menus have Macross Plus music and animation but has a generic Macross II logo lol

according to the site theres several bootleg version of this. not positive tho. hows the video quailty?

according to the site theres several bootleg version of this. not positive tho. hows the video quailty?

The video is alright. More or less the same as Manga's DVD. The subs are almost a direct copy of Manga's IIRC. But I'd just buy the Manga's DVD if I had to choose.

The video is alright. More or less the same as Manga's DVD. The subs are almost a direct copy of Manga's IIRC. But I'd just buy the Manga's DVD if I had to choose.

didnt manga only make the movie edition?

(My concerns expressed below have been addressed, thanks. First post now shows the licensed movie edition. BTW, I didn't realize that Manga had only released the "Movie" version on DVD, not the separate episodes.)

About the MII image--is that the Japanese R2 DVD (if any), or a bootleg? In keeping with the spirit of the MW rules, I think you ought not to include bootlegs of MII on your list. My understanding is: bootlegs of stuff that isn't licensed in the US is okay. Bootlegs of stuff that is available in licensed form in the US isn't. MII is licensed in the US/UK by Manga.
Edited by ewilen

About the UK Macross Plus Ultimate Edition. As I've written, it has the same content as the US M+ OAV and movie. I.e., the movie disc is a VHS transfer with hardcoded subs.

Also note that it's R2 and PAL. If your DVD player can do R2 but can't do a PAL to NTSC conversion, you might have trouble. Mine does the conversion, but the video is slightly compressed vertically, so I compensate using the vertical adjustment on my TV.

okay... after changing things about 5 times here i realize that everyone wants more of a DVD review more than just finding the best quality video. as much as i would love to do that, the problem is that i dont have good enuf resources to tell me which one has the best subs, audio, etc and im not going to buy all the DVDs to compare them all as much as i would like that. ;)

also from what ive realize some of the best subs are fansubs and are not even on DVD so that creates another problem. on the top of my head, i already know the best subs for DYRL and MZero are fansubs. So as far as subs go, I cant write a decent review for that right now. :(

im glad everyone is helping out but lets have this thread just be video quality. theres too much trouble to create the best "overall" dvd since people look for different things. some may look for subs, some for audio, etc. So this thread will be video only and ill try to make another thread after this that has the best subs and audio. Also if i can get enuf help and resources i might create another that has the best video/audio/sub overall but i find it confusing to cram all of that into one thread.

thanx again guys for helping. :)

As seen, I'm making a list of the best quality video DVDs for Macross. As of now, it will only be video quality. I may have a Audio and Sub review later in another thread.

The pictures shown are the box art of the DVD cover. If there are multiple DVDs using the same pictures, a sku number or something else would be included to help find the correct version.

I'm just going to add what I can find, if you can correct my list as I go, plz let me know. ;)

NOTICE: This is just for BEST VIDEO QUALITY. Some of these DVDs may not even have subtitles or could have very poor subtitles.

Macross SDF TV Series:

post-25-1098780344.jpg

Macross Box Set 1: Ep 1-12

Macross Box Set 2: Ep 13-24

Macross Box Set 3: Ep 25-36

post-25-1098780330.jpg

Macross Volume 1: Ep 1-4

Macross Volume 2: Ep 5-8

Macross Volume 3: Ep 9-12

Macross Volume 4: Ep 13-16

Macross Volume 5: Ep 17-20

Macross Volume 6: Ep 21-24

Macross Volume 7: Ep 25-28

Macross Volume 8: Ep 29-32

Macross Volume 9: Ep 33-36

Macross Do You Remember Love

post-25-1098500033.jpg

Macross Do You Remember Love: Perfect Edition

Macross Flashback 2012

post-25-1098501608.jpg

Macross Flashback 2012

Sku #: DVD251

Macross II

post-25-1098828446.jpg

Macross II: The Movie

Macross Plus

post-25-1098834239.jpg

post-25-1098834225.jpg

Japanese Region 2

Macross Plus Box Set 1: Ep 1-2

Macross Plus Box Set 2: Ep 3-4

The best quality DVDs are the original Japanese Region 2 DVDs. All of them-period.

The best quality DVDs are the original Japanese Region 2 DVDs. All of them-period.

Not necessarily.

- The R1 SDF Macross by Animeigo is superior to the R2 release

- The R1 Macross Plus features a rich Dolby Digital 5.1 English audio track. The R2's feature a pathetic Dolby Digital 2.0 track for both English and Japanese audio.

Quality of almost all Macross DVD not realy good, my rank from best to worst dvd that i have

SDF Macross Animeigo

[-] grainy, light overcompressed (90min on dvd5 not good for animation), sometimes they overused temporal noise filter.

Macross DYRL R2

[-] Image lag, not progressive encoded, dusty

Macross Plus Movie R2

[-] crosscoloration=VHS rip

Macross II R1

[-] heavy crosscoloration=VHS rip

Macross 7

Macross Plus OVA R1 and R2 jap

image quality are same

[-] Ruined gamma

Macross Plus Movie R1

[-] crosscoloration=VHS rip

[-] hard subbed

[-] wrong colors

Bandai must remaster all their macross releases. as Gainax did with NGE.

okay guys, since the "video quality" argument is semi thrown out the window im going to start making this a dvd review thread. gimme some time and ill change things around.

also for those who want to help out, since its hard to get details on these dvds without actually owning them, please give me a quick video/audio/sub/dub run thru on the dvds that you own or have knowledge on.