The SNK vs. CAPCOM Appreciation Thread

areaseven

Which is the better fighting game crossover?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better fighting game crossover?

• CAPCOM vs. SNK (CAPCOM)
    • SVC Chaos: SNK vs. CAPCOM (SNK-Playmore)

SNK and CAPCOM - For over a decade, fans of 2D fighting have long debated over which company has the better fighting games. With games like CAPCOM vs. SNK: Mark of the Millennium and SVC Chaos: SNK vs. CAPCOM, fans can now have CAPCOM favorites like Ryu and Ken square off against SNK's fighters like Terry Bogard and Kyo Kusanagi.

But while people can go on comparing Ryu with Terry, or Chun-Li with Mai, which company do you think has the better fighting game system? Which is superior in terms of gameplay, controls and characters? You decide for yourself.

BTW, graphics is not an issue, as CAPCOM will wipe the floor with SNK on that category. After all, the CAPCOM/SNK debate isn't about eye candy.

(Author's note: Yeah, I know I didn't include Guilty Gear in this thread. But then again, it would be completely unfair to compare GG with SNK and CAPCOM, as it will win hands-down.)

"Battle till you drop. FIGHT!"

i always enjoyed capcom's game engine since it was always easy to pick up basic combos, throws, and other things...in snk i feel like the characters are sorta "stiff" so at times some of the moves look a little awkward to say the least.

I think fatal fury II and KOF brought some new ground to the table. I like the fighting engine in SNk but I do agree it can be really stiff. I think SNk actually has the better stories.

However the sad thing was I only bothered looking @SNk when I got bored with CApcom. But I am glad I did since SNk is a great experience for me and I now like it better!

SVC Chaos kicks CVS' ass. At least the Capcom characters still handle well and didn't get shafted (in CVS Kyo had no auto-guard in his moves, Iori was slow, King played off). One of the only characters that didn't get screwed over too badly was Rugal. Plus that ratio system sucked ass.

CVS2 made a lot of improvements, which made it into a playable game. However all the SNK characters still played "off", with slightly slowed reaction time from command inputs.

SVC Chaos while not having the most spectacular line-up of characters did have the traditional favorites. It included an evil ken (although lame, was refreshing from the same old evil ryu), Demitri's Midnight Bliss was sometimes amusing, sometimes DISTURBING.

Plus Dan got upgrades, and the SNK side handled just like in the normal SNK games.

Those are my reasons for preferring SVC or CVS

I remember back in the SNES/Genesis days when Fatal Fury was called the "poor man's Street Fighter". I always thought that was somewhat valid because the gameplay was never as fluid and often times did seem "stiff" like it was described here. There was always something off with the gameplay but overall the characters were more interesting (except for Mai because she's a waste of space purely created for fanservice). Chaos does seem to suffer from some of that. I will go with the Capcom vs SNK.

Still, Marvel vs Capcom 2 blows these games out of the water as far as fighting game cross overs go.

Edited by Jemstone

I null my vote, neither of these games impress me. Like Jemstone said Capcom vs Marvel 2 is a much better crossover game.

Now would someone at Sammy and Capcom get off their ass and make a Guilty Gear vs Darkstalkers(Vampire) crossover game?

Edited by dejr8bud

I gotta give the edge to Capcom. I've always liked Fatal Fury, and Samurai Showdown almost paved the way for games like Battle Arena Toshinden and Soul Calibur, but at the same time they've always seemed kinda bland compared to the Street Fighter or Darkstalkers series.

For the current crop, I haven't played Capcom vs. SNK 2, but I loved the first one on the Dreamcast. Now, I picked up SvC Chaos over the weekend, and I'm almost sorry I did. It almost plays as a checklist of why Capcom's games are better. The animations were poor, the graphics were ugly (although I did kinda like the old-school look for the Street Fighter characters), collision detection was spotty at best, and the characters were ridiculously unbalanced. Even with just 1/3rd of his health, Mr. Karate is OBSCENE. SNK Playmore should also note that, while throwing together a bare bones fighting game for the arcade is okay, you really need to beef up the single-player aspect before bringing it to the consoles... especially if you want to sell it for $50. That said, though, I do like that it's back to a one on one format, and as a huge Megaman fan, it was cool to see Zero on the Capcom roster. And online play is a wonderful thing (although I've had a hard time finding matches online, and playing someone who's really good when you're just fairly good only serves to make the spotty collision detection stand out worse).

As far as the Marvel vs. Capcom series goes, I would definately LOVE to see another one of them, with online play for PS2 and Xbox, minus a few of the lame characters on both rosters (Marrow, Shuma-Gorath for Marvel; Son-Son, Tron Bonne, Servebot for Capcom) and update with more kick-ass characters (Phoenix, Havok, Mr. Sinister, or the Human Torch would be some suggestions for Marvel; Zero, Protoman, Dante, Samanosuke, Nemesis or the girl from PN03 might be some suggestions for the Capcom side). That said, though, I don't really want to compare the Marvel vs. Capcom series with Capcom vs. SNK or Street Fighter per se. One is all about being over-the-top with huge jumps, lightning speed, amazing super moves, etc, while the other is pure 2D fighting of the kind that hearkens back to my days with the original Street Fighter.

Guilty Gear I don't mind comparing at all. Guilty Gear is a sack of poop. Like Marvel vs. Capcom, Guilty Gear goes for over-the-top flash. But where Marvel vs. Capcom is chock full of characters we all love, Guilty Gear is chock full of the worst, most rejected characters I've ever seen. I played the first Guilty Gear, and I hated it. I played the first Guilty Gear X, and I hated it. I let my friends talk me into GGX2 Reloaded, because I could play on Live with them, and I regret it. The only positive things I can say about it are that it does sport a rather deep fighting system, it was only $20, and while most of the characters suck beyond belief, there's something that just kicks ass about a midget with a giant sword who's ripped enough to blow his shirt off when he flexes that makes me like Clif.

As far as control goes, it really depends on the series you talk about.

For instance, I prefer the Samurai Spirits controls over the King of Fighters series. They move better, and aren't quite as stiff. I find that the characters are more intuitive to use and less involved in button mashing.

Likewise, I prefer the Vampire Saviour games over the Street Fighter games. The controls are virtually the same, but the Vampire Saviour games are a bit more forgiving, and you have some mad possibilities, but doesn't go into the combo craziness that you saw in Capcom vs. Marvel and the like.

If I could choose an all time favorite, I'd have to go with Soul Calibur II for ease of control and gameplay, but since Namco isn't an option, I'm going to have to go with the Samurai Spirits system from SNK, then Vampire Saviour, and then Street Fighter, preferably the Alpha 2 system.

I haven't played SVC Chaos, so I can't vote from a non-biased position yet....

Edited by gnollman

While I'm a huge SNK fan, and for the most part have always perfered SNK games (mainly KOF), since I believed they take more skill then Capcom. I will say that I was for the most part disappointed with SvsC Chaos.

The controls seemed sluggish, animation slow, and overall just not as much fun.

CvsS I felt was slow, and had some characters that were just too powerfull, but at least they kept the multi-character format.

CvsS 2 corrected a lot of the problems form it's predecessor, namely speed, and fluidity but still had some unbalaced characters (Blanka anyone).

i always enjoyed capcom's game engine since it was always easy to pick up basic combos, throws, and other things...in snk i feel like the characters are sorta "stiff" so at times some of the moves look a little awkward to say the least.

That nails it exactly.

-Besides, no one does Mai Shiranui and all of her bounciness better than Capcom....Why else would anyone play these games? :p

i was bored last night and couldn't sleep...so i busted out my old Dreamcast (yes it's still a good system, even though it came out too late for it's time) and played all the Capcom Vs. titles...as much as i liked playing the Capcom Vs. SNK games i was more impressed by Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 just because the moves were smoother and everything was much easier to handle (or that could've been because i started to pick up some of my old moves by the time i got to M-VS-C 2 :lol: )

I rate them in this order.

1.) SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium Neo Geo Pocket Color. 9.5/10

This is the be all end all version for me. Best controls,great roster,classic backgrouds from various SNK and Cap games.

2.)Capcom vs SNK 2(Xbox for online play) 8.5/10

Take CVS1 and fix the charicters and ratio system and you have a much better fighter. I do miss the 2d backdrops from CVS1 and wish it had more classic backgrouds and music. Awesome roster though!

3.)SVC Chaos SNK vs Capcom (Xbox version for online play) 7/10

The one I have been waiting for years to play. Basing my anticipation on the formentioned NGPC version my hopes were high. Of course in the past few years SNK lost its company and staff only to rebuild it but without most of its original teams(Now at Capcom and Arc)

I do like this game but it has serious problems. Bad collisions is the big issue for me. Sometimes moves just whiff when they shouldnt. Plus it seems like the overall control is much stiffer than it needs to be. Backgrouds are kinda bland and the music isnt very impressive. The best part is the cast(except the freddy midget wannabe from KOF)and the pre-fight dialogue which can be pretty funny at times.

Overall I rate them like this.

Versus play Capcom vs SNK 2

Single Player SVC

Best of both SNKvsCap MOTM.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer capcom vs SNK but still most of the capcom characters are from street fighter and should be named street fighter vs SNK. there just isn´t any capcom characters from other games like rockman, X, zero, blues, haggar, captain commando and not even the strider hiryu who i think is an under apreciated character who in my opinion kicks any other characters ass, besides he is the coolest looking of them all.

not even the strider hiryu who i think is an under apreciated character who in my opinion kicks any other characters ass, besides he is the coolest looking of them all.

Never would have guessed it by your handle and avatar... :p

King of Fighters Maximum Impact for the PS2 came out two weeks ago. Has anyone here picked it up?

Thought about it...saw the commercial on TV too.

From what I hear, it's ok...not great but doesn't suck either. Though some of the voices are dubbed. Never saw a KOF game with some characters voices now yelling out English translated versions of their moves instead of the original Japanese. :blink:

Edited by Gaijin