GITS 2 SAC DVD screwed up

bandit29

Reported over at animeondvd.com. This farting bites. I guess Manga's bad QC has been rubbing off on Bandai.

http://www.animeondvd.com/

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Problems (09:24 PM EDT): Is this shows release cursed? The second volume of the series, due out on 09/28/2004 and shipping early to some customers, has revealed a new problem that affects both the regular and special edition releases but in different ways. Apparently during "early" replication, the initial batches of the two discs (DTS and Dolby Digital) were mislabeled. The DD disc has the DTS show on it and vice versa. Now, if you got the special edition set, this isn't anymore than a bad labeling issue. If you want to listen to the show in DTS, you just grab the DD labeled disc instead.

If you're buying only the regular DD edition, well, you may be in for a bit more trouble since your disc will only have the DTS edition on it (in addition to the stereo mix as well since a PCM or DD track *must* be on every DVD release per the spec). As we've learned, Bandai and several retailers have learned of this quickly and some retailers are not shipping their stock and instead returning it. Not all of them will know about this right off and as said, some have shipped materials already. Here's Bandai's current statement on the issue, as posted from an email response from their customer service:

"The initial batches have the same issue as yours. We are aware of the issue and are currently looking into it. There seems to be an issue where the two discs were mislabeled. Once this is fixed we will have replacements to those who have the initial batch. Thank you for your patience and you will be updated on the matter."

Edited by dejr8bud

So its mislabeled but nothing really drastic is wrong right? I don't see a huge problem with that if your just gonna watch the series and have no big worries of listening to it with the most fantastic sound you'll ever hear.....I just wanna watch it without the whooha....: / Hmmmmm now it makes me wonder if Bestbuys will carry it.

Just checked their website (god bless T1 connection speed) Its still labeled as a 9/28 release date....I'll check it out next week if it came in t here or not.

Edited by Hikuro

All I'm trying to say is that if its just a mislabeling issue who really cares if they figure it out ahead of time? Sure its a problem for distrubtors, but to people like us who are aware of the situation who really cares?

They're still encoded the way they should be, just the DVD labels are wrong.

That's what I'm picking up on my limited time of reading something while at work.

All I'm trying to say is that if its just a mislabeling issue who really cares if they figure it out ahead of time? Sure its a problem for distrubtors, but to people like us who are aware of the situation who really cares?

They're still encoded the way they should be, just the DVD labels are wrong.

That's what I'm picking up on my limited time of reading something while at work.

The bigger problem is for those who are buying the regular edtion. They'll be getting the DTS disc. That means you'll only be able to watch the 2.0 English track and no extras on the disc. Not everyone has DTS (like me).

Edited by dejr8bud

It is NOT just a matter of wrong labels. DTS discs have no space for the extras like interviews and textless OP/ED sequences. I'm one of those who didn't have the need for DTS and ordered the normal edition.

Now for a tricky problem: Amazon is remarkably good about replacing wrong/bad products, but sometimes they act too quickly for anyone's good! When I complained about a badly encoded DVD for Patlabor 2 (mangled by Manga, of course), Amazon express-shipped a replacement copy to me for free, no return required! Unfortunately, of course the new disc is just as flawed. I tried to explain the situation in my original complaint, but it seems to be a "stock response" from Amazon for replacing defective goods.

Now I've got a feeling my SAC Vol 2 which shipped quite early this week is one of those affected discs. Should I wait till Bandai announces a fix before telling Amazon? (Tell them now and get a Free-but-useless replacement.) Or will Bandai take too long (2 ~ 3 weeks?) and make ME look like a cheap crook trying to whinge a free DVD from Amazon later? Would Amazon still honor their replacement policy after an extended period?

I wouldn't go through amazon at all. If you already have it shipped, then send a customer service mail or call over to Bandai. They'll fix it for you in no time, and pay you back for your shipping. Bandai's got the best CS around.

However, it's things like this that make me glad I decided to wait for a box set release.

I grabbed the regular release today. It was not defective at all. I purchased it at Best Buy.

Damnit! I went to Best Buy yesterday evening and they still did not have volume 2. Of course, I want the special edition release. Love those sound tracks and at $25 for two DVDs plus a CD soundtrack, how can I argue? :)

Damnit! I went to Best Buy yesterday evening and they still did not have volume 2. Of course, I want the special edition release. Love those sound tracks and at $25 for two DVDs plus a CD soundtrack, how can I argue? :)

Don't waste your time with Canadian Best Buys, Mr March. They only seem to get the big, high profile releases on their street dates. Other titles, particularly anime, seem to only show up a few weeks later. I'm still waiting for them to get THX-1138 in stock. :angry:

Damnit!  I went to Best Buy yesterday evening and they still did not have volume 2.  Of course, I want the special edition release.  Love those sound tracks and at $25 for two DVDs plus a CD soundtrack, how can I argue? :)

Don't waste your time with Canadian Best Buys, Mr March. They only seem to get the big, high profile releases on their street dates. Other titles, particularly anime, seem to only show up a few weeks later. I'm still waiting for them to get THX-1138 in stock. :angry:

The Best Buy here in Calgary was actually right on time for the Vol. 1 release of Ghost in the Shell (but I didn't pick it up until two weeks later). A&B Sound was the same as well. Future Shop, A&B Sound, and Best Buy also got THX-1138 on the release date as well, both the Directors Cut and the original (that director's cut edition looks fantastic btw). So I'm kinda stroppy because they are late with this release :angry:

I'm gonna go check again today. I need some pork chops and a toilet brush anyway :)

The Best Buy here in Calgary was actually right on time for the Vol. 1 release of Ghost in the Shell (but I didn't pick it up until two weeks later). A&B Sound was the same as well. Future Shop, A&B Sound, and Best Buy also got THX-1138 on the release date as well, both the Directors Cut and the original (that director's cut edition looks fantastic btw). So I'm kinda stroppy because they are late with this release :angry:

Really? So it's just my local Best Buys that suck? Surprise, surprise. <_<

The Best Buy here in Calgary was actually right on time for the Vol. 1 release of Ghost in the Shell (but I didn't pick it up until two weeks later).  A&B Sound was the same as well.  Future Shop, A&B Sound, and Best Buy also got THX-1138 on the release date as well, both the Directors Cut and the original (that director's cut edition looks fantastic btw).  So I'm kinda stroppy because they are late with this release  :angry:

Really? So it's just my local Best Buys that suck? Surprise, surprise. <_<

Seems so. When I lived in Fort Mac, many of the chain stores were the same way. Our Wal Mart wouldn't receive new releases for weeks after much larger cities like Edmonton or Calgary already stocked the product in their Wal Marts. It sucked and I'm glad I don't live in Fort Mac anymore :)

Got my copy lastnight, nothing wrong with it at all...wonder if it was only a limited number of the DVD's which could have been defective or they were fast enough to get it fixed?

Interviews, trailers, the episodes worked just fine. I did have some problems though getting it to play on my DVD player, but I found a big smudge on it which I got off there....so after that it worked.

Other than that, pretty funny on the last episode where Batou tries to take on Motoko only to punch himself in the process.

Got my copy lastnight, nothing wrong with it at all...wonder if it was only a limited number of the DVD's which could have been defective or they were fast enough to get it fixed?

Interviews, trailers, the episodes worked just fine. I did have some problems though getting it to play on my DVD player, but I found a big smudge on it which I got off there....so after that it worked.

Other than that, pretty funny on the last episode where Batou tries to take on Motoko only to punch himself in the process.

From what I've been reading it was a batch of the intial printings that got messed up. Some members at the AOD forums did get mislabeled DVDs from Best Buy and RightStuf.

I didn't get mine yet. The place I ordered from pushed the shipping date back to Oct 5th because of the screw up.

Seems so. When I lived in Fort Mac, many of the chain stores were the same way. Our Wal Mart wouldn't receive new releases for weeks after much larger cities like Edmonton or Calgary already stocked the product in their Wal Marts. It sucked and I'm glad I don't live in Fort Mac anymore :)

Maybe Vol 2 hasn't been released domestically yet. I found THIS listing on Amazon.ca, and it cites an Oct 5 release date. I have no idea who this "C.B.S." is though. I'll have to recheck my copy of #1.

:o  Gashapon?

SAC trading figures. :)

But keep away from the cat or dog, it will think it's a tasty spider. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wabbit