Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

vuster

I down loaded the demo this past weekend all i have to say is that this game rocks. Defenately gonna pick up this game when it comes out on sep 21. The space marines and the assualt marines were bad ass DL the demo, you wont be disappointed. SO MANY RTS coming out this fall......its gonna be an expensive one. Has any one else played the demo and what are your thoughts?

It seems all my co-workers have the demo of this game now, and they can't stop raving about it. The Space Marines (and probably the other 3 races) have a skin editor, so you can field any army, even your own invention. I'm waiting for the full version before I try it, so I hope what I hear is correct...

One of the best games I've played in a while. The Beta was cool, but the demo knocks its socks off. The good thing about the beta was that you could play as any of the other featured races. There's already some mods in the works for the demo that let you play as Imperial Guard, Tau, Tyranids, and Necrons. Friggin' sweet!

Any true, loyal servant to the Emperor will at least check the demo out. I did.

It may not completely represent the table top/miniatures version of WH40K, but it gives me a chance to field a command of Space Marines without painting a set of miniatures... not that painting the miniatures isn't bad, it's just time consuming. And expensive nowadays.

Dark Angels forever. In the old school black armor :ph34r:

It may not completely represent the table top/miniatures version of WH40K, but it gives me a chance to field a command of Space Marines without painting a set of miniatures... not that painting the miniatures isn't bad, it's just time consuming. And expensive nowadays.

Expensive is an understatement when it comes to Games Workshop games.

I was never a big 40k fan, always a bigger fan of Fantasy (well, mostly just Fantasy Roleplay) but from what I've heard this game might actually be better than the usual Warhemmer-based crap games that we see.

The game is friggen fantastic. When you zoom in on a squad of marines beatin' the hell out of a bunch of xenos scum, it's pure beauty. When the Space Marine Force Commander smacks an Eldar Farseer with his Thunder Hammer and the shockwave sends the Faseer's entire retinue flying, it's sheer poetry! FOR THE EMPEROR! :D

Edited by GreatMoose

I have never liked GW stuff due to their prices, but playing the demo and now being ecstatic in waiting for this game, a soft spot in my heart has opened up....i bought a few minis just to have, all space marines and a Dreadnought (for those AMAZING melee combat moments when the Dreadnought impales a guy on its claw and spins him around in the air, then throws him across the screen!)

I especially like the color editor...lotsa fun to be had there

The game is friggen fantastic. When you zoom in on a squad of marines beatin' the hell out of a bunch of xenos scum, it's pure beauty. When the Space Marine Force Commander smacks an Eldar Farseer with his Thunder Hammer and the shockwave sends the Faseer's entire retinue flying, it's sheer poetry! FOR THE EMPEROR! :D

".....And they Shall know no fear". Adeptus Astartes forever!!

Sad thing is, a TON of good games are all coming out around the same time, meaning a competant but standard RTS is gonna get lost in the shuffle.

Its worth getting though. I quite enjoyed the Beta.

I don't play regular Warhammer 40K anymore though. I generally switch stuff over to use in other games or mods of other tabletop games.

the demo is awesome, I have to say I loved it.

The single player has a bit of a surprise in the first mission...needless to say it cost a friend of mine nearly 8 dreadnoughts...

I just wish there was a relic in the skirmish maps...I want a Land Raider and a squad of Terminators damn it!!!!

Comes out in 4 days over here, same day as Star Wars DVDs....thank god I get paid on friday :)

Okay. This game will be mine.

I want to play with some Terminators. Not just any regular Terminators mind you, I want to play the Grey Knights and the Deathwing. Nuff said. 2 best special forces in the game IMO.

I am sure they will release expansions for this if it sells well (which it may just do).

Well technically the whole Adeptus Astartes is a special ops unit.....and being thrown into a meat grinder like the game doesn't represent this at all. (what with each chapter only having a few thousand marines, with numbers dwindling, and dreadnaughts being very rare)

I'm not complaining....well not much.

Okay. This game will be mine.

I want to play with some Terminators. Not just any regular Terminators mind you, I want to play the Grey Knights and the Deathwing. Nuff said. 2 best special forces in the game IMO.

I am sure they will release expansions for this if it sells well (which it may just do).

Sorry to disappoint you, but in the Demo, all the Space Marines are Codex. Yes, you can customize paint schemes and use paint schemes from various 1st Founding Chapters like the Dk.Angels, Space Wolves, Ultramarines, etc. But there are no specific chapter quirks. Which is unfortunate. Still, despite this, the game is fun. Hopefully, hardcore chapter fans will make Dark Angel, Space Wolves, etc. total conversions for the Marines somewhere down the Mod road.

Ugh... I think I'm going to have to wait until I get a new system... doubt my PIII 933 will be able to handle this. So many PC games coming out (or have come out), such a crappy computer. Well, I did just 'upgrade' my Xbox to a new TV so I guess that's my fault.

Warhammer, LOTR, Rome, Sims 2, Doom, Pirates! All games on my list but not wanting to buy until I get a system that's more powerful than my Xbox.

Downloading the demo now... Death to the enemies of the immortal god-emperor of Mankind... But where are my Seraphim and my brave Celestian warriors?

--Lord_Breetai AKA Cannoness Sumire of the Order of the Eternal Light

I am the emperor. They are in my chamber feeding me with their psychic energy...and various bodily fluids. Yummy! ;)

@fearyaks,

Actually, your system should run it fine, you just can't have all the graphics options turned all the way up, but it honestly doesn't matter much. I've got it on two computers, one of 'em is PIII 9something laptop, and it runs great and looks great with everything set to medium. Of course, my desktop (p4, etc...) looks FANTASTIC, but i can't use that at work ;) .

The mod community is very hard at work on multiple things, just check out the DoW forums;

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

is anybody else having issues with the text? i downloaded the demo, and it installed fine and loads up great. but after the intro movie, none of the text is legible, its smudged and heavily pixelated, so even if i can fix it through the options menu, i can't figure out which option is the options menu.

edit, nevermind, this problem is apparently limited to older Geforce cards, and updating the driver fixes it.

Edited by motley

Downloading the demo now... Death to the enemies of the immortal god-emperor of Mankind... But where are my Seraphim and my brave Celestian warriors?

--Lord_Breetai AKA Cannoness Sumire of the Order of the Eternal Light

I am the emperor. They are in my chamber feeding me with their psychic energy...and various bodily fluids. Yummy! ;)

Ahhh... I mis-typed the name of my own order. I am the Canoness of the Order of the Eternal Violet not the Eternal Light... that kind of mistake could land me in a Repentia squad... fortunatly I am the Canoness, and that is my decsicsion to make.

Wow, I'm loving the demo... and it's actually pretty hard... wow.

If you download a fan made patch allowing you to use Terminators, Land Raiders, and the Orks, it'll allow you to play against the Orks.

The Ork AI is VERY aggressive and doesn't slouch on their numbers on even the Standard setting. Yes, it's still the AI and can be defeated handily, but compared to the Space Marines' AI, it's a VAST difference. Example: My first 2v2 skirmish, my Dark Angels with an allied Blood Angel force against 2 opposing/allied Ork forces. I was holding my own against the Orks who came relentlessly. My Blood Angel allies did well early on but they eventually got stomped. They overextended their small numbers without setting up defenses/turrets to consolidate their gains. That left the Orks to combine for huge assaults against my forces and forced me to be completely be on the defensive.

I think if the game sells well, we could very well see expansions for it. I'm curious to see what the mod community will be able to do with this.

Bring me my Grey Knights!!!! :ph34r:

That's what we thought and hoped for Final Liberation. Never happened. Sigh. It was kinda good.

I've always liked the Warhammer futureistic stuff, neat designs and all that...but I know next to nothing about the regular game ...what the various classes are, how it all works...so would this game be okay for newbies?

Also I'm not a stratigy gamer (prolly why I never got into the whole Warhammer thing besides looking at the figures in the store)...and RTS games are like pulling teeth to me (way too much information overload :p )...but I can deal with turn basied ones fairly well...is this game at all suitable (not too much information overload)?

My PC can handle it no problem (P4 with a 256MB Geforce 6800 Gt video card ;) Yeah Doom 3 runs great! ) and I much prefer 3rd person platform-ish games like Alice to FPS, with my favorite genre being SHMUPS like Einhander and Ikaruga...guess the PC isn't a great gameing rig for me (except all those emulators :lol: ) but being on a lowly 56k modem makes it hard to download most game demos...so sorry for the above questions.