What's the deal with the power serges in MacII?

It's definately some kind of re-inactment of the initial "boobeytrap" incident in Macross. Though the fact that Macross II supposedly follows the DYRL continuity (loosely even then), the problem "should" have been fixed, especially during the second refit, and that it just wouldn't make sense to leave such a dangerous thing un-attended is one of the many problems with II.

It's definately some kind of re-inactment of the initial "boobeytrap" incident in Macross. Though the fact that Macross II supposedly follows the DYRL continuity (loosely even then), the problem "should" have been fixed, especially during the second refit, and that it just wouldn't make sense to leave such a dangerous thing un-attended is one of the many problems with II.

The part where Silvie confronts Hibiki out in the rain, and the Macross fired...I always figured/thought it was in reaction to the Marduk reaching Mars. I'm not sure what the distance on the main canon is... And I'm sure the Macross was guarded.... I'm just guessing Hibiki and Ishtar snuck in somehow. I mean....if it wasn't guarded...don't you think there would be a lot more ppl seen on the Macross...bums and the likes?

The part where Silvie confronts Hibiki out in the rain, and the Macross fired...I always figured/thought it was in reaction to the Marduk reaching Mars. I'm not sure what the distance on the main canon is... And I'm sure the Macross was guarded.... I'm just guessing Hibiki and Ishtar snuck in somehow. I mean....if it wasn't guarded...don't you think there would be a lot more ppl seen on the Macross...bums and the likes?

Dude, there were no guards, apparently there weren't even any locks. Hell, I bet you there WERE homeless people sleeping inside the ship when it was destroyed. But did Ishtar care about them? Hell no!

It also doesn't make sense that the Marduk arriving would trigger it. The way it's talked about, the discharge seemed to be a fairly regular thing (and as such, should have been fixed). it's not like the ship fired at the Zentradi whenever they got near it, not in the TV series or movie.

I think.... in the final scen of MACROSS 2 LOVER AGAIN with ISTHAR is no claer... but is the base for the macross 7 song energy.... remenber the energy come from Irthar

sorry my Ingles is no very good :(

I think.... in the final scen of MACROSS 2 LOVER AGAIN with ISTHAR is no claer... but is the base for the macross 7 song energy.... remenber the energy come from Irthar

Nope, Kawamori claims to have never seen Macross II. Besides which, nothing in Macross II holds anything in common with Sound Energy. The emulator's controlled their Zentradi through trained responses. They could have easily just used c olored lights, or ringing bell's to trigger the same responses. Spiritia in Macross requires actual emotion from one person invoking emotion in another. This is a concept which has been around since Macross TV, most likely derived from Kawamori's Gundam fandom, specifically Tomino's Newtypes reaching out to each other with an advanced understanding

Hehe. I think you're thinking about it way harder than the producers ever did.

Nope, Kawamori claims to have never seen Macross II.

That was said before Macross 7. I thought I've heard he actually saw it after Macross 7 was already on production.

This is a concept which has been around since Macross TV, most likely derived from Kawamori's Gundam fandom, specifically Tomino's Newtypes reaching out to each other with an advanced understanding

Kawamori took his concept from being an idol fan, more than expressing something similar to a Tomino theme (which he wanted to do, but without plagiarizing). It is worth to say that, while newtypes surely were not thought for Macross, Hikaru and Minmay's meetings do have some surreal imagery which clearly referenced newtypes (i.e. floating in the air. For Max and Milia it's the same).

FV

Hehe. I think you're thinking about it way harder than the producers ever did.

I'm just making assumptions, based on what I saw....

I think....  in the final scen of MACROSS 2 LOVER AGAIN  with ISTHAR  is no claer... but is the base for the macross 7 song energy....  remenber the energy come from Irthar

Nope, Kawamori claims to have never seen Macross II. Besides which, nothing in Macross II holds anything in common with Sound Energy. The emulator's controlled their Zentradi through trained responses. They could have easily just used c olored lights, or ringing bell's to trigger the same responses. Spiritia in Macross requires actual emotion from one person invoking emotion in another. This is a concept which has been around since Macross TV, most likely derived from Kawamori's Gundam fandom, specifically Tomino's Newtypes reaching out to each other with an advanced understanding

And amazingly we find Macross II songs in Macross 7. I doubt he hasn't seen it.

It is worth to say that, while newtypes surely were not thought for Macross, Hikaru and Minmay's meetings do have some surreal imagery which clearly referenced newtypes (i.e. floating in the air. For Max and Milia it's the same).

FV

Dude, the "walking on air" metaphor predates TELEVISION!

As always, you're reaching for straws in a .... place where there isn't straw.

I didn't say Spiritia was directly related to Newtypes, just that the concept of "esper powers" was inspired by. Naturally Kawamori put his own spin on it. And Kawamori definately said he did "not" see II period, as for whether he's seen it by now is anyones guess, but the question has come up to him even after 7's production.

As for Macross II songs being in 7, what's that got to do with Kawamori? II was a commercial flop, can you blame Big West for wanting to recoup some lost money by including the songs? It's smart business, and lets face it, the music was the best part of II.

Dude, the "walking on air" metaphor predates TELEVISION!

I have also said surreal imagery. Something like an event depicted in false colours which ignores time and space (dilatation of time was typical of anime because it was born mostly from production costraints).

While "walking on air" metaphor predated television, it was not made for the medium cinema, because gravity is expected to keep actors near ground; other way would look strange, even in anime.

FV

I didn't say Spiritia was directly related to Newtypes, just that the concept of "esper powers" was inspired by. Naturally Kawamori put his own spin on it. And Kawamori definately said he did "not" see II period, as for whether he's seen it by now is anyones guess, but the question has come up to him even after 7's production.

As for Macross II songs being in 7, what's that got to do with Kawamori? II was a commercial flop, can you blame Big West for wanting to recoup some lost money by including the songs? It's smart business, and lets face it, the music was the best part of II.

I once burned a copy of my Macross II OST Vol. 2 CD for a friend who loves Classical/Easy Listening. When he heard some of the tracks, that I love so much, it didn't impact him at all that much...unlike myself when I saw II. I guess what I'm saying is that the visuals behind the music gave a greater impact. ...And what I'm getting at here is that don't you think Kawamori would have some say as to what is put in HIS creation? Why put songs in there that aren't all that meaningful? The way you make it sound, he doesn't want anything to do with II. If it were my creation that I loved so much, I'd have final say on every single thing.

...Tis my logic on it all. But if you say he said he hasn't seen II even after 7, I'll take your word for I suppose. And I do have to agree with ya in that the best thing about II are the songs. Then I'd have to go with the story/plot/love trianlge/characters/mecha/etc.

Edited by Oihan

Your friend likes classical but not J-Pop? Is he insane!!!! :::!::: As for Kawamori, why would he dissagree with more music being added? Especially if its good.

Hah, you got me there. $

Your friend likes classical but not J-Pop? Is he insane!!!! :::!::: As for Kawamori, why would he dissagree with more music being added? Especially if its good.

Hah, you got me there. $

Not even visuals of Wendy without panties will save Macross II.

Hah, you got me there. $

Not even visuals of Wendy without panties will save Macross II.

lol...Macross II still owns...doesn't need any saving in my mind. :p